*-*-* The Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2011 *-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else utterly sick that it is taking TMDSAS six weeks to verify applications? I mean, my AMCAS app was submitted 2 weeks after my TMDSAS app, and it’s been verified already. Everything has been received, transcripts, LOR's, etc. How many people do they have working this thing? TWO!? Anyway, thanks for letting me freak out people. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

I am reapplying this year after applying once before in 2008. Back then, I applied really late in the cycle, but had one interview that with UTHouston. This year, I have not heard back from UTH though I applied early. My app was transmitted 6/30. Did my rejection first time keep me from getting invite from UTH med school again this year?

I am reapplying this year after applying once before in 2008. Back then, I applied really late in the cycle, but had one interview that with UTHouston. This year, I have not heard back from UTH though I applied early. My app was transmitted 6/30. Did my rejection first time keep me from getting invite from UTH med school again this year?

Unless there was a huge red flag about you during 2008 (something unfixable- I'm not talking about mcat etc), then no, your prior rejection probably didn't keep you from being invited this year. It's only the beginning of October, still plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you kept in touch with the school? Call the admissions office, ask about the status of your app., send an update letter/LOI.... You need to make sure you impress upon the school all that you have to offer!

Quick question for people who have gotten interviews at multiple Texas schools, is there an approximate order in the response time of the different Texas schools?

For me
TMDSAS transmitted 9/9/2010
TTech interview 9/27/2010
UTSW interview 10/04/2010

and nothing from the other schools, I was wondering if it is random or if other schools usually respond at approximately the same time and I was just rejected from other interviews completely. Any clarification would be very helpful.

Thank you

Last edited:
Have you kept in touch with the school? Call the admissions office, ask about the status of your app., send an update letter/LOI.... You need to make sure you impress upon the school all that you have to offer!

I've been wondering about doing this. So far I've only heard from the Tech schools, and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I just don't know how to go about doing this without sounding like I'm trying to give myself an advantage over the other students that are just being patient and waiting. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

I was wondering about calling the schools that I have not heard from too. However, I don't want to see like a nuisance you know....grrrr!!!!!!!!!

I feel like calling the schools and just point-blank asking "Please. Don't do this to me! WHY are you doing this to me?! I need an interview to keep on living..." :laugh:

If only. :)

Is it too early to send a letter of update. / would you send one to all the schools or just schools you havent been invited to an interview at?

Are there any pass / fail schools in TX?

I need to do a better job keeping track of these things. Most of the places I've interviewed at I think have been Honors / High Pass / Pass / Fail, sometimes with a marginal pass in there.

Anyone have a side-by-side comparison of the grading systems?

This is getting confusing.

*Awaits November 15th*

Baylor is p/f but they keep track of your ranking and include it in your deans letter, so not really pass/fail. I think El Paso might be pass/fail but I am not that sure. At UTSw, we are pass/fail (the real kind without secret rankings) first semester and I think 4th year. First semester you take anatomy and biochem and you are still adjusting so no grades is really nice!

Anyone have a side-by-side comparison of the grading systems?

This is getting confusing.
To my knowledge, UTSW is the only school in Texas has "true" pass/fail semesters (your first semester and your senior year). Both Texas Techs use "honors pass/high pass/pass/marginal pass/fail" (which is essentially A/B/C/D/F). UTMB uses the same system. I'm not sure about UTHSCSA or UT-H. A&M uses A/B/C/F. Baylor uses the actual numbers and ranks you internally, and then passes that information off to residency programs when you apply (even though they say it's all pass/fail).

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, UTSW is the only school in Texas has "true" pass/fail semesters (your first semester and your senior year). Both Texas Techs use "honors pass/high pass/pass/marginal pass/fail" (which is essentially A/B/C/D/F). UTMB uses the same system. I'm not sure about UTHSCSA or UT-H. A&M uses A/B/C/F. Baylor uses the actual numbers and ranks you internally, and then passes that information off to residency programs when you apply (even though they say it's all pass/fail).

UTH uses honors pass/high pass/pass/marginal pass/fail

So I just logged on to TMDSAS to check out the match ranking preferences page, and only 3 out of the 4 schools I interviewed were on there.. UTMB was missing.. Does anyone else who has interviewed there have this missing from their page as well?

Mine was missing a school as well (A&M) Im sure its something they will have fixed before January 15

Thanks for the grading comparisons.

Does anyone else feel like TMDSAS and AMCAS should switch the dates of notification? I wanna know now!

(Mostly because if I get into any TX school I can cancel any OOS interviews. Looking forward to that moment.)

Overall,
UTHSCSA- letter grades ABCF
TAMUHSC- letter grades ABCF

UTMB- Honors/highpass/pass/fail-like ABCF (not curved score)
UTH- Same as above
TT Lubbock- same as bove

TT El Paso- pass/fail (ranked?)
Baylor-same as above but ranked
UTSW- Pass/Fail for 1st semester & 4th yr, Letter grades for the rest.

Now, could somebody post the average USMLE step 1 scores for each school. Most schools didn't present them during interviews.

Last edited:
How long after TMDSAS transmission will the schools send invitations for interviews? I admit, I submitted my application later than most during the beginning of August. TMDSAS transmitted in mid-September. But is has been a month since TMDSAS approval and still no MD interviews and I applied to all schools. I feel like time is slipping away since interviews normally end in December.

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 31

Please someone, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I feel you I transmitted 8/24 and still no MD interview invites, only UNTHSC/TCOM, which was great but I would at least like to have a chance at getting to look at the other schools, some med students on here have said that they didnt get invites unitl late Nov and they got a few in a wave at that time, and still got accepted, so Im just trying to be patient and wait, My MCAT is 28O with a 3.7 GPA, so we will see, just be patient

I transmitted September 27th. My GPA is a 3.66 and MCAT 29R. (B10, P10, V9).

I have been president of one club, and volunteer coordinator of two. On top of that I have ridiculous amounts of medical and non-medical volunteering, tutoring, and employment. No research experience, though.

How likely is it for me to even be considered for an interview in regard to my numbers, experience, and send out date?

Thanks guys

interviews normally end in December.
Could somebody confirm whether this statement is true? If it is true, will interviews usually end in the middle of December or at the end of December, for TMDSAS schools?

Thanks!

No, interview season in texas ends in mid January, and only Baylor ends in mid February. As for those of you who submitted apps in August & September, the volume of people submitting before august is very high. So you guys would have to wait longer for interviews. Schools look at your apps in rolling basis, and offer interviews so as well.

Could somebody confirm whether this statement is true? If it is true, will interviews usually end in the middle of December or at the end of December, for TMDSAS schools?

Thanks!

Depends on the school. I believe UTSW's last interview this session will be January 8th. And I'm pretty sure that's the last of all the schools, the rest probably end mid or late December, depending on the school.

Hey Everyone - I'm way too lazy to go through all these pages but I'm a current MS4 at Baylor so if you have any BCM questions feel free to PM me.

(Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the admissions committee so I can't speak to your chances of getting in or any detailed questions about interviews but I'd be happy to answer anything else)

Depends on the school. I believe UTSW's last interview this session will be January 8th. And I'm pretty sure that's the last of all the schools, the rest probably end mid or late December, depending on the school.

This is correct. Most schools end mid-December, and last year both UTSW and UTH had early January dates. I'm not sure about this, but UTH may finish in December this year.

This past year, TCOM actually conducted a few interviews after match (February 1st) and accepted some of those people, so not sure what they will do this year.

Hi everyone. My tmdsas app was just transmitted today but my tx tech and a&m online status page still says they have't received my primaries yet. How long does it take for them to update so that I can see my status? Should I call?

I'm a super late applicant...I didn't wanna risk applying early bc my first MCAT was a 20 and I wasn't sure if I could pull off a 10+ points increase. I did manage a 29 the second time but now I wish I applied early...:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Both Texas Techs use "honors pass/high pass/pass/marginal pass/fail" (which is essentially A/B/C/D/F). UTMB uses the same system.

This is true, but the cut off points are not the same as A/B/C/D/F. Also you can only have one marginal pass per year. That is a 70-75% average.

My tmdsas app was just transmitted today but my tx tech and a&m online status page still says they have't received my primaries yet. How long does it take for them to update so that I can see my status? Should I call?

Do not count on Tech's merlin system to ever update anything. Call admissions, merlin is very rarely accurate and up-to-date.

Thanks aggie for the info.

I'm such a noob at this whole application process thing. Does anyone know how the schools give out scholarships? Do I have to apply? If anyone can direct me to another page with that info that would be great too.

This is true, but the cut off points are not the same as A/B/C/D/F.
The cuttoffs for letter grades are almost never universal. The point still stands, it's an A/B/C/D/F system for ranking students against one-another.

Thanks aggie for the info.

I'm such a noob at this whole application process thing. Does anyone know how the schools give out scholarships? Do I have to apply? If anyone can direct me to another page with that info that would be great too.

I just interviewed at El Paso, and it sounded as though scholarships are based on your school application. Also sounded as though scholarships are sent along with acceptances, and as some of those accepted individuals go to other schools, the scholarships get moved to other students.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've last been on here... I'm getting super nervous that I haven't gotten ANY texas interviews yet. My application was transmitted on September 20th, and my secondaries were submitted on October 1st (deadline day, I know... do you think they will see this and frown upon it??).

Anyway... my gpa is 3.57, and MCAT is 27N. I have lots of activities, tutoring, and leadership....

DOes it normally take over a month to receive interview invites? I'm just being paranoid, but words of comfort will help me a ton... haha.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've last been on here... I'm getting super nervous that I haven't gotten ANY texas interviews yet. My application was transmitted on September 20th, and my secondaries were submitted on October 1st (deadline day, I know... do you think they will see this and frown upon it??).

Anyway... my gpa is 3.57, and MCAT is 27N. I have lots of activities, tutoring, and leadership....

DOes it normally take over a month to receive interview invites? I'm just being paranoid, but words of comfort will help me a ton... haha.

Yup, it does take longer than a month in many cases, especially with the secondaries submitted on deadline day. Just hang in there (easier said than done, aaargh). Our stats are similar, so I'm pulling for ya! GL! :luck: :thumbup:

Nice! I'm rooting for ya too. Hope we both end up with good news by Spring!!

Anyone here having schools show up on their match rank list that they never interviewed at or received an invite to?

If so, did you contact the admissions office at the school to see if the interview invite got lost in the intarwebs or if it's just a cruel mistake? Haha.

Anyone here having schools show up on their match rank list that they never interviewed at or received an invite to?

If so, did you contact the admissions office at the school to see if the interview invite got lost in the intarwebs or if it's just a cruel mistake? Haha.

I wish I could see my preference rank list... Every time I click the link It takes me back to the home app page :confused::confused: I've only had one interview completed with one coming up but I feel as if I should see something.

Anyone have any advice...?
Thanks

Hey guys,

I am also worried about interview invites. My stats are 31O with a 3.89 GPA. I transmitted on 9/30. I already had one interview with UTSW, but i haven't heard back from anyone else. How long does it typically take for schools to respond? Should I be worried?

Thanks

So I just logged on to TMDSAS to check out the match ranking preferences page, and only 3 out of the 4 schools I interviewed were on there.. UTMB was missing.. Does anyone else who has interviewed there have this missing from their page as well?

I'm missing UTHSCSA. Weird.

I wish I could see my preference rank list... Every time I click the link It takes me back to the home app page :confused::confused: I've only had one interview completed with one coming up but I feel as if I should see something.

Anyone have any advice...?
Thanks

Give it some time. The last school on my list to come up about 3 days ago was A&M and I interviewed on 9/23.

Hey guys,

Quick question... I was wondering how I would go about sending update letters to schools. Is there a specific format I should follow, and how much should I discuss each of the new activities? Should it be a few sentences or just a brief explanation, like in the TMDSAS description box?

Also... do I send it via envelope/stamp to each individual school? Or is there a faster way?

Hey guys,

I am also worried about interview invites. My stats are 31O with a 3.89 GPA. I transmitted on 9/30. I already had one interview with UTSW, but i haven't heard back from anyone else. How long does it typically take for schools to respond? Should I be worried?

Thanks

Your stats are excellent for Texas schools, so you will get in somewhere. Its great that you already interviewed at UTSW, post your feedback.

Everyday spent waiting for another interview invite feels like a soul crushing experience... so far I have gone to one interview at TCOM and although i liked it there I would really like to have the chance to see my #1 choice school UTHSCSA and A&M or UTMB, but jeez this wait is killing me, although I was transmitted at a decent time, Aug 24th (late due to waiting to take the MCAT, I was originally signed up to take it in May but got there and found out my license had just expired so had to wait to get a new one and wait for a new test date!!), and decent scores 28O MCAT and 3.7 GPA, while also being a nontrad with 5 years of being in the Army, various leadership positions and all sorts of other life experiences, I find myself still with only the one invite...
I also applied to Michigan schools due to my wife being from there and wanting to move back, but its a long shot since they look for OOS applicants that are relatively competitive... but I wont even hear back from MI schools till March at the latest...
anyways, had to rant and get it off my chest, I know alot of other people on here are going through the same thing as me, but it sux seeing all these other applicants with 5 or 6 interviews and wanting "one more"!
good luck to everyone, and me, lol

The cuttoffs for letter grades are almost never universal. The point still stands, it's an A/B/C/D/F system for ranking students against one-another.

Umm....I wasn't arguing with you or saying your point "did not stand", I was just clarifying. Some people that haven't interviewed may not know it's different.

Fail: < 70.0
Marginal: <75.0 and &#8805; 70.0 (Only 1 marginal allowed per year)
Pass: <87.0 and &#8805; 75.0
High Pass: < 91.0 and &#8805; 87.0
Honors: &#8805; 91.0

So it is pretty different than what people think of as traditional letter grades. Again, I did not say you were wrong at all - I was just clarifying for those who may not be familiar. I know when I was interviewing I had no idea it was different.

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite today from UTMB, but it's the day right before I have another interview scheduled at another medical school. According to the email UTMB doesn't routinely reschedule interviews. I would reschedule with the other school, but I've already made travel plans and booked a hotel room. I want to ask to reschedule with UTMB, but I'm not sure what to say. Does it look bad if I say I need to reschedule with UTMB because of an interview at another school? PLEASE help!

Just call/email them and tell them your situation. The worst they can say is, we're sorry but we cannot accommodate you at another time. So then, you just get to make crazy travel arrangements and deal with it (coming from someone who did 3 interviews and 4 finals in 6 days :) ). But I bet they will do their best to help you out.

Hey guys, I am a Cali resident with a unique connection to Texas and I want to apply to Texas schools next year. Does anybody know whether or not there is a personal statement in the primary application (I looked around and didn't see anything)? I would like to explain my interest in Texas medical schools but I am afraid that if there is no personal statement in the primary application, my application would readily be rejected because I am out of state.

Hey guys, I am a Cali resident with a unique connection to Texas and I want to apply to Texas schools next year. Does anybody know whether or not there is a personal statement in the primary application (I looked around and didn't see anything)? I would like to explain my interest in Texas medical schools but I am afraid that if there is no personal statement in the primary application, my application would readily be rejected because I am out of state.

There's not one, but the potential for three! One of them is the normal PS, so you could use your AMCAS one, and then they give you two optional ones: hardship or unusual circumstances, and then anything else you want to mention, which might be perfect for your "Why I <3 TX even though I am from TX's enemy (lately), California" essay.

Just call/email them and tell them your situation. The worst they can say is, we're sorry but we cannot accommodate you at another time. So then, you just get to make crazy travel arrangements and deal with it (coming from someone who did 3 interviews and 4 finals in 6 days :) ). But I bet they will do their best to help you out.
I agree with this. If you confirmed the interview and then you want to reschedule it might look bad, but if they didn't give you a choice of dates, and considering your circumstances, I'm sure they'll understand.

There's not one, but the potential for three! One of them is the normal PS, so you could use your AMCAS one, and then they give you two optional ones: hardship or unusual circumstances, and then anything else you want to mention, which might be perfect for your "Why I <3 TX even though I am from TX's enemy (lately), California" essay.

Thank you. <3