The Official Sept 11, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ovenmitts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is, the official thread for those of us writing on Sept 11th.

This will be my third time taking the MCAT. Yes, that's right - my third time. It's been a rough ride to say the least and my confidence has definitely plummeted.

Here's to hoping third time's the charm!

Sept 11ers unite!

Members don't see this ad.

I signed up for this date as a backup, retook May 30th so we'll see what happens ~July 5th to see if I can cancel this date or go all out for one last effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome! :)

How have you been preparing? I've been using the SN2 schedule so I'm hoping things work out this time!

Hey guys!

I also plan to take the exam this day too, even though it's on a school day for me. All I have to say is, I better not have a biochem exam that day! Lol.

I'm taking it for a second time, I got a 22 last time. My desired score is at least a 30. In terms of studying, I started 5th June, and I'm just doing content review until the 14th July. Then I'll follow the spinach method and do 3 exams a week from then onwards. I'll also use EK 1001 and 101 Passages as extra practice.

I've been studying for about a month now. I've done TBR physics and I'm finishing up TBR gen chem. Then gonna do TBR orgo then TBR bio. then hit the AAMC material in the last month. Also finished ek 1001 for physics and orgo. Doing bio now.

The date seems so far away but it's creeping up on us ... :eek:

I know! I've been using EK for content review so far. Finished with physics and G Chem. I'll be done with orgo by tomorrow, and then bio.

Is this your first time taking it?

I know! I've been using EK for content review so far. Finished with physics and G Chem. I'll be done with orgo by tomorrow, and then bio.

Is this your first time taking it?

Yeah, first time. Almost two months out already! Cheers for not following the SN2ed schedule (nothing wrong with it though).

9/11. Its going down :naughty:

Ive been using the material in the 3 month schedule. A few weeks in I just abandoned the schedule entirely and just did one unit a day of what felt enjoyable at the moment. I've omitted OCEM from my schedule, because I know that like the back of my....hand.

I have 2 more Gen Chem and 2 more Physics sections to get through, then I'm done my content review. As of today, I've finished all TPRHL verbal passages. After my content review, I plan to go through the remaining BR problems, along with 1/3 of the 1001 series and 1/3 TPR Science Workbook.

Wheres everyone else at? When do you guys plan to start taking your first AAMC (if this is your first time like me). Maybe we can start an IRC chat to talk about our results as we take them?

Last edited:
I'm like a month behind on SN2ed's schedule. :oops: My Kaplan course should finish in early August, though, so that should give me enough time... Crossing my fingers. Might have to reschedule to January if it doesn't work out.

I was working hard toward July 25th, but have decided to push back to September 11th (working full-time really puts the brakes on any idea one might ever have of quick and efficient studying).

Currently averaging: ~29 (AAMC/PR)

36+, here I come!

3f749da770a716cbd0ccfe591fc36048f6.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Aaah!

Had a nice little pick me up today. Took the EK lecture exam for the first Bio lecture, got an 11. Super awesome, considering I average between 7s and 8s on the other ones for chem, physics (especially), and orgo. Granted, it's only the first lecture bio, but I know I'm a beast at bio, and I'll make sure to keep this up!

aaah!

Had a nice little pick me up today. Took the ek lecture exam for the first bio lecture, got an 11. Super awesome, considering i average between 7s and 8s on the other ones for chem, physics (especially), and orgo. Granted, it's only the first lecture bio, but i know i'm a beast at bio, and i'll make sure to keep this up!

great! :hungover:

I just registered to take it in September!

I have an inquiry in regards to study techniques..how are you guys and gals dividing your studying between sections? i.e. are you doing Physics, Chem, Bio, Orgo or doing specific sub subjects like Kintetics, Force then Galvanic Cells and Atoms, then Mitosis and repeat until you cover everything?

I ask because I get easily bored covering sheer physics then sheer chem etc. do you spread out the subjects or?

Just wondering, I'll appreciate any feedback!

I'm taking the test on September 11th, for my first and hopefully only time.

Been following the S2Ned schedule almost to the letter so far since June 13th, and it's been going pretty well so far. I'm getting close to being halfway done with content review.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous, but based on how I've done on the verbal passages and BR passages so far, I should do fine by the time I actually sit the test. Such high stakes!

Retaking mine after I got a 21 on may 30. Wasn't ready for it, took the exam without practicing any FL. Hoping for atleast a 30 this time around. Are you guys applying this year?

Um, I think we do have two months left, if I'm not mistaken. Lol.

Anyways, I started taking practice exams yesterday (using the spinach method). Got a 25 on AAMC 3 (although it may be somewhat inflated since I took the exam in the past), so this is my baseline score. I'm shooting for at least a 30.

I'm a second time taker here. I'm glad I'm studying again this time around. I realized that I couldn't study nearly as much as I needed during school, so doing it in the summer has allowed me to spend much more time in it. I was a bit too confident the first go round, even when I was averaging about a 23 from four AAMC exams last time.

Bumping this thread up because I just postponed my Aug 16th test to this date. Is anyone still doing content review? I feel so behind T_T I have 4 more chapters of Physics and 4 more of Chem left, but trying to squeeze them into four days of review by doubling up, and then it's practice, practice, practice!

Anyone else have school on this day? I plan to skip my classes C: The MCAT is way more important!

I think I'll be doing content review until mid august cause I want to go over everything twice, and some three times, and then practice FL's, I'll probably do one FL and EK 101 Passage a week while I'm still doing content review the second time around.

Is everyone else freaking out??? less than 8weeks till the big day!

I think I'll be doing content review until mid august cause I want to go over everything twice, and some three times, and then practice FL's, I'll probably do one FL and EK 101 Passage a week while I'm still doing content review the second time around.

I can't believe it's only 8 weeks away. Time goes by so fast!

I just finished TBR Orgo. Jeez the carbohydrates chapter was something else :eek:
Now gonna do TBR bio then start the AAMC material (official guide, self assessments and practice tests).
I suck at verbal :mad:

Hello, hello! Ill most likely be taking the mcat on this date! I'm on a waitlist at my state school but its not looking good...
I was told to retake the mcat and reapply, so here I am :/
Anyone else applying this cycle?
As for as studying, I'll be finished with content by the end of the month. Then ill probably tackle the official guide, assessments and finish tbr passages. Anyone using practice tests besides the Aamc ones?

I just finished TBR Orgo. Jeez the carbohydrates chapter was something else :eek:
Now gonna do TBR bio then start the AAMC material (official guide, self assessments and practice tests).
I suck at verbal :mad:

Me too! Finishing up the last chapter of Orgo, but I feel so burnt out right now that I don't feel like taking any of their practice passages :(

Still need to do the second half of Physics/Chem... ugh. Have you finished most of their passages? I want to do the self assessment but I figured I should fit in more practice beforehand.

I finished content review about more than a week ago, and it's just practice tests and more practice for me from now on. If there's any content I need to review again, it's through thoroughly going over my exams, reading the concept, and then do practice questions on that concept through Kaplan materials.

I'm taking AAMC 4 tomorrow, my third test so far (took AAMC 3 and Kaplan FL 1, 25 and 24, respectively.). I plan to take AAMCs 5,7-11, and Kaplan FLs 2-6 before test day, with post phrasing/ working on weak concepts and verbal practice daily.

Needless to say, I'm shifting my paradigm of studying from last time. A lot of practice, less of rote content review.

Here it is, the official thread for those of us writing on Sept 11th.

This will be my third time taking the MCAT. Yes, that's right - my third time. It's been a rough ride to say the least and my confidence has definitely plummeted.

Here's to hoping third time's the charm!

Sept 11ers unite!

Add me to this group... I spoke to an admissions counselor today and he advised me to retake the MCAT... so I am going to be in this group!!! Go us!!! we are all going to get 45s!!!

practice is more important than content review.. if you know the material start practicing... use Berkeley Review

Me too! Finishing up the last chapter of Orgo, but I feel so burnt out right now that I don't feel like taking any of their practice passages :(

Still need to do the second half of Physics/Chem... ugh. Have you finished most of their passages? I want to do the self assessment but I figured I should fit in more practice beforehand.

Yeah I've been doing all of the passages before I move on to the next chapter. It takes me a very long time to read a chapter and do all of the end of chapter passages. I'm not really looking forward to doing the second bio book though. The 500 page tome is the longest of the BR set :eek:

Last edited:
Took AAMC# 4 today, got a 25 (8 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS). Didn't increase in total from AAMC# 3 (8 PS, 8 VR, 9 BS), but I'm happy about that VR score going up.

It sort of sucks that the scales for each of the AAMC tests are slightly different. I'm trying to see if I really IMPROVED in any way possible (besides verbal).

Well, I'll see when I post-phrase the crap out of it. The most likely thing is that this test had concepts not in AAMC# 3 that I now need to work on.

EDIT: I just looked over the score report. Yeah, It's that most likely. Did better in the majority of the weak concepts I reviewed this past week, and new weaknesses have popped up.

Last edited:
Took AAMC# 4 today, got a 25 (8 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS). Didn't increase in total from AAMC# 3 (8 PS, 8 VR, 9 BS), but I'm happy about that VR score going up.

It sort of sucks that the scales for each of the AAMC tests are slightly different. I'm trying to see if I really IMPROVED in any way possible (besides verbal).

Well, I'll see when I post-phrase the crap out of it. The most likely thing is that this test had concepts not in AAMC# 3 that I now need to work on.

EDIT: I just looked over the score report. Yeah, It's that most likely. Did better in the majority of the weak concepts I reviewed this past week, and new weaknesses have popped up.

Just out of curiosity, did you do content review at all? Maybe, if you have several weak areas you should purchase the AAMC self assessments and work on your weaknesses before taking the rest of the AAMC full-lengths. We still have quite a bit of time before the exam.

Just out of curiosity, did you do content review at all? Maybe, if you have several weak areas you should purchase the AAMC self assessments and work on your weaknesses before taking the rest of the AAMC full-lengths. We still have quite a bit of time before the exam.

Princeton Review offers free self-assessments too. :)

Yes, I did content review for about a month, from June 5th to July 10th or so.

Actually, I was able to renew my Kaplan online course through the higher score guarantee, so I have access to basically everything AAMC related as well.:D

I do plan to take the assessments from now, actually. The way I spread out my practice exams is that I do one AAMC and one Kaplan exam every week until test day. In between, I go over them thoroughly (can take more than a day), and then use Kaplan materials to practice my weak concepts.

Has anyone taken the assessments? how accurate are they in pointing out your weaknesses?

I took the test April 26th and got a score of 27 9PS, 8VR, and 10 BS.... I wanted to retake it but I got busy with work and applications... I talked to my dream medical school and they recommended I retake it... going to be studying hardcore... :)

I took the test April 26th and got a score of 27 9PS, 8VR, and 10 BS.... I wanted to retake it but I got busy with work and applications... I talked to my dream medical school and they recommended I retake it... going to be studying hardcore... :)

"We're aaaaalll in thiiiiiis togeeeeether" lol.

And I've decided to do the self assessments starting today, finish them off by Monday, work on weak concepts, and just take AAMC 5 on Thursday. After, post phrase and work on weak concepts for that whole week until I take AAMC 7 the following Thursday. Then maybe move back to a Kaplan/AAMC FL combo weekly. And do verbal every day, of course.

Are the BR passages worth doing? I've read around and apparently they are not nearly like the real thing and/or are insanely difficult.

Hey all. I'm also in for this date. My studying has been so-so for the past month (mostly due to procrastination) and I've been mulling over the idea of taking it in January.. However, it will be my senior year and I'm going abroad in the fall, so this would by far not ideal - especially since I took the summer off to do MCAT (no work, volunteering, etc and am living at home).

I'm about half way through content review, so plan to finish in about ~22 days and will commence AAMCs, kaplan section tests, etc

Also ffarouk2, I've been using BR (PS and Ochem), Kaplan for bio, and EK101 for verbal. The PS and ochem passages don't seem too out of the possible range of difficult for the real thing. The BR bio does seem to be trickier. It's more experimental, but may be not in the exact way that the current exam is...

From what I've read it seems there is not a single best way to study for the bio section, and no single prep book that accurately captures both the correct level of detail for content review and the essence of the passages. So I will actually be putting BR back in the mix for bio to supplement Kaplan.

Looking forward to keeping up with everyone progress! Lets motivate each other

Hey all. I'm also in for this date. My studying has been so-so for the past month (mostly due to procrastination) and I've been mulling over the idea of taking it in January.. However, it will be my senior year and I'm going abroad in the fall, so this would by far not ideal - especially since I took the summer off to do MCAT (no work, volunteering, etc and am living at home).

I'm about half way through content review, so plan to finish in about ~22 days and will commence AAMCs, kaplan section tests, etc

Also ffarouk2, I've been using BR (PS and Ochem), Kaplan for bio, and EK101 for verbal. The PS and ochem passages don't seem too out of the possible range of difficult for the real thing. The BR bio does seem to be trickier. It's more experimental, but may be not in the exact way that the current exam is...

From what I've read it seems there is not a single best way to study for the bio section, and no single prep book that accurately captures both the correct level of detail for content review and the essence of the passages. So I will actually be putting BR back in the mix for bio to supplement Kaplan.

Looking forward to keeping up with everyone progress! Lets motivate each other

Welcome! We're glad you could join us! :D

Ok, so I see what you mean about BR. I'll give those passages a try, as extra practice. Wow that's great, your study plan, I've been done with content review since a few weeks ago, so I'm just going over my weak concepts and practicing.

Is this your first time taking the MCAT?

49 days....

I'm assuming that this date will be a reschedule for many of you, like myself. My original date was scheduled for tomorrow (hnnnnghhh!) and before I pulled the plug a couple of weeks ago, I was trippin about it.

Now? I'm actually kind of excited to take it in September. All of this work culminating in one exam; It will be a relief to finally get done.......

....waiting for the score? That's an entirely different story. I've been creeping through each thread when a score release comes due. Nerve-shattering!

Welcome! We're glad you could join us! :D

Ok, so I see what you mean about BR. I'll give those passages a try, as extra practice. Wow that's great, your study plan, I've been done with content review since a few weeks ago, so I'm just going over my weak concepts and practicing.

Is this your first time taking the MCAT?

Yea it is my first and hopefully only one. I saw you wrote you were taking the SAs about a week ago? How did those go? Using TBR passages for what you find are weaker areas from that would probably be useful.

One thing I have not been doing and that I should be is finishing all the TBR passages during my first run through. I was originally trying to do the sn2ed schedule which is more spread out so calls for a third of the passages per read through, but since its likely that I will not be rereading the TBR, but will opt for my notes or Kaplan, I need to finish all of those passages from now on...

....waiting for the score? That's an entirely different story. I've been creeping through each thread when a score release comes due. Nerve-shattering!

I know! haha. I was looking at the June 20th thread, and I'm like, "man oh man! That's where I'm gonna be!"

I'm being very optimistic.

Yea it is my first and hopefully only one. I saw you wrote you were taking the SAs about a week ago? How did those go? Using TBR passages for what you find are weaker areas from that would probably be useful.

And yeah, I finished taking them the day before yesterday. They really helped me out, on what I should focus on from the subjects. Here were my scores:

Physics: 57% (avg is 54%)
Gen Chem: 65% (avg is 66%)
Orgo: 66% (avg is 61%)
Bio: 73% (avg is 66%)

The scores may not be up to par with SDN standards, but I felt I did my best, given my circumstances (We went VEERY SLOW in my physics courses. I never learned about Waves, Light/Optics, Periodic Motion, and those are part of my weak subjects, not surprisingly). And also, I'm just not too fond of standardized tests. But, we have to do what have to do...

Overall, I have about 14-15 weak concepts I'll be working on until Test day. I'll be happy with at least a 30. So far my AAAMC average is a 25, (#3 = 25, #4 = 25 too). I plan to take AAMC #5 tomorrow, and see how I'm improving, now that I'm doing more practice with my weak concepts.

If any of you will be purchasing chad's videos anytime soon, please include my username in the referral section when you purchase. Would appreciate the extra week :thumbup:

So I am officially scheduled for this date! I was hanging out the 6/20 group earlier this year because there were no late summer threads opened yet. Initially, I was hoping to take the exam on 8/16 (never scheduled) but work obligations stopped that plan in it's tracks. I am retaker from Sept. last year and this should be the last time I ever have to see this beast again. Let's goooo! Make this thread lively and supportive. Good luck to everyone!