The Official Residency/Fellowship Seekers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8? I hear all you guys talking about 8,9,19 programs you're applying to but I'm applying to a maximum of 4. Seriously, whats the point of applying much beyond 5 programs? If you don't match to your top 5 then whats the likelihood of matching to the next 5 after that? It just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Of course I say this now but come March and I might be singing a different tune :scared:

Hmmmm, maybe you apply to 8 or 9 to broaden the scope and make sure you want the ones you think you want. You can always not rank several. Just a thought I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

8? I hear all you guys talking about 8,9,19 programs you're applying to but I'm applying to a maximum of 4. Seriously, whats the point of applying much beyond 5 programs? If you don't match to your top 5 then whats the likelihood of matching to the next 5 after that? It just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Of course I say this now but come March and I might be singing a different tune :scared:

Wildcat, just cuz you apply to 8 doesnt mean you get to rank all 8... If im not mistaken... you rank the ones you get interviewed with...

so if i apply to 8 and get 8 interviews then ya... but if i apply to 8 and get 1,2,3,4, OR 5 interviews ya know, then theres totally nothing wrong with that? ya know what im sayin?

Wildcat, just cuz you apply to 8 doesnt mean you get to rank all 8... If im not mistaken... you rank the ones you get interviewed with...

so if i apply to 8 and get 8 interviews then ya... but if i apply to 8 and get 1,2,3,4, OR 5 interviews ya know, then theres totally nothing wrong with that? ya know what im sayin?

I get what you're saying, I was just assuming that you will probably interview at almost every program you apply to. As far as ranking them, I haven't heard much of anyone getting lower than their 3rd choice, if they were that far down then they didn't get matched anywhere. I really don't think I have the endurance to apply to 10+ programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only applying to 5 and I think that's overwhelming. It takes so long to write letters of intent, write essays, answer questions on application, asking for letters of rec., etc. I was going to apply to 7 programs, but changed my mind after I started working on stuff this week.

Similar thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671162

So, I've heard of a program with 5 spots ending up with the 12th ranked appliant of 20 they ranked but I wonder what is the lowest ranking program you've heard of an applicant ending up with. Doesn't the match default to the applicant's preferences over those of the program? In other words if I apply to 9 programs and get an interview at all 9 and then rank all 9 what are the odds that I'd end up at any program ranked 5 to 9? Or try this example, I rank program Jimmy #2. Program Jimmy has 2 spots. Program Jimmy ranks me #1. Leroy and Juana both rank program Jimmy #1. Leroy is ranked #2 and Juana is ranked #3 by Jimmy. Would Leroy and Juana get the spots over me? I guess I'm just trying to decide if I should really apply to any more than 5 programs. I know I run the risk of not getting an interview at all 5 programs but applying to less than 9-10 may allow me to focus better on the programs I'd really like to go to.

Last edited:
Most of the programs I'm interested in have many residency positions to fill. Some of which have many spots (4, 5, even up to 12). I know it's pretty competitive to get a residency position in those programs since they interview much more applicants to fill those spots. But when I hear there's 2 residency positions available, I get pretty intimidated.

Do you guys recommend applying to programs with fewer numbers of spots, instead of larger programs with many spots? Keep in mind I'm interested in all of these programs, I'm not just choosing them because how many residents they take each year.

Most of the programs I'm interested in have many residency positions to fill. Some of which have many spots (4, 5, even up to 12). I know it's pretty competitive to get a residency position in those programs since they interview much more applicants to fill those spots. But when I hear there's 2 residency positions available, I get pretty intimidated.

Do you guys recommend applying to programs with fewer numbers of spots, instead of larger programs with many spots? Keep in mind I'm interested in all of these programs, I'm not just choosing them because how many residents they take each year.

I wouldn't really worry too much about how many residents a program accepts. For me personally, I would like a program with 3-5 residents so I can have some people to go through the whole experience with (if it was just one other person they might be weird or something and then what haha).

I wanted to go somewhere with many residents. I ended up somewhere with 2. I know that they take into account personalities and whether or not they think they will get along when they rank. If they really liked someone but fear they'd be hard to get alon with, they will rank them further down the list.

I was worried - what if I don't like my coresident? But we've bonded and its great to have some solidarity. The bummer is tthat we never get days off together so we don't get to hang out much outside of work.

Similar thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671162

So, I've heard of a program with 5 spots ending up with the 12th ranked appliant of 20 they ranked but I wonder what is the lowest ranking program you've heard of an applicant ending up with. Doesn't the match default to the applicant's preferences over those of the program? In other words if I apply to 9 programs and get an interview at all 9 and then rank all 9 what are the odds that I'd end up at any program ranked 5 to 9? Or try this example, I rank program Jimmy #2. Program Jimmy has 2 spots. Program Jimmy ranks me #1. Leroy and Juana both rank program Jimmy #1. Leroy is ranked #2 and Juana is ranked #3 by Jimmy. Would Leroy and Juana get the spots over me? I guess I'm just trying to decide if I should really apply to any more than 5 programs. I know I run the risk of not getting an interview at all 5 programs but applying to less than 9-10 may allow me to focus better on the programs I'd really like to go to.

You would end up at the program if you ranked them high enough because they prefer you over the other 2 applicants. The lowest I've heard of an applicant getting accepted was rank #4, but if you look as the stats that are published after the match, there are applicants that end up at >rank number 5. It is rare, but it can happen. Keep in mind the number of candidates that rank multiple sites and end up unmatched.

Yes, you can end up at programs 5-9 that you rank. Keep in mind that even though you apply to 9 programs, doesn't mean you will get interviews at all 9 programs. If you really aren't interested in a program, I wouldn't waste my time applying there because you are taking a potential interview spot away from a candidate that may really want to end up there.