The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! I decided to just lurk for a while since I had nothing all too worthwhile to post, but...here we finally are! I'm so glad for those of you who are happy with their score! For those who didn't do as well as they wanted--keep your chin up! This isn't the end of it all!

Test Date: 11/7/14
Time: 8:00 am
FL AAMC Average: 32 [retakes, so possibly inflated scores]
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 34 [retakes]
Post-test expected score: 31-33
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/11 - 32 (right in the middle!)

I got a 26 the first time I took the MCAT (it was a disaster), so let me tell you...I'm happy with this score. I'm just glad it's finally over!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 27
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 29
Post-test expected score: 27-29
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 29 (10/9/10)

I really wanted a 30, and I was going to retake (MCAT2015) if I got a 28 or below. 29 was the limbo score I was dreading where I didn't know what I would do if I got it and told myself I would deal with it once I get my score. Well...looks like I'm in limbo land. Not really sure what to do, as my GPA is average for MD, and I would prefer MD schools. I will apply DO, but I'm still not really sure what to do.

I would gladly take any advice, though.

AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 29
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 29 (10/9/10)

I really wanted a 30, and I was going to retake (MCAT2015) if I got a 28 or below. 29 was the limbo score I was dreading where I didn't know what I would do if I got it and told myself I would deal with it once I get my score. Well...looks like I'm in limbo land. Not really sure what to do, as my GPA is average for MD, and I would prefer MD schools. I will apply DO, but I'm still not really sure what to do.

I would gladly take any advice, though.

Assuming this is your first attempt and that you were only 1 point from the score you wanted. I would advise you to look up available test dates in January and start studying for these next few weeks to raise your score by 1 point (which is very doable. Wish you the best!

Anyone dropping a jan. 23rd spot in California? Please message me if so. Thanks so much!!! I have one in Washington (seattle) not terrible

FL AAMC Average: 34
AAMC 10-11 Avg: 33
Post-test expected score: 30 (12/9/9)
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 12/11/13 = 36!

I almost ran out of time on verbal and bio so didn't know what to think of those two sections after the test. Got tripped up on an experimental bio passage in the middle. But I'm glad everything worked out. Didn't get in last year with a 31 so hoping for the best this coming cycle. May the odds be ever in our favor!

Reactions: 2 users
FL AAMC Average: 30
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 32 (30 and 34)
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 32 (10/11/11)

I am beyond stoked. Not a perfect score, but I will fu**ing take it!!! Well balanced and verbal is soliddddddd.

FL AAMC Average: 35.5
AAMC 10-11 Avg: 34.5
Post-test expected score: No idea!
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 12/11/12 = 35

I am so relieved! This was my 3rd time taking the test. My first time was in 2012, and I didn't take studying very seriously and ended up with a 25. I took it again this July and ended up with a 30 despite having much higher practice test scores. Test anxiety definitely got the best of me! While 30 certainly isn't a bad score, my GPA is low so I definitely needed a higher MCAT. My goal for this retake was a 34 and I am so glad to have exceeded the goal!

tl;dr: Got a 10-point improvement from 1st to 3rd retake --> anything is possible!!!

I dropped my Jan 23 MCAT seat in Houston ,TX btw. I wish you all Jan test takers all the best!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 10-11 Avg: 25.5
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/10 (31)

I have never been so happy in my entire life.
What was your distribution of scores for your practice tests? Looks like you scored significantly higher than your average?
Oh and congrats btw!

Lol I hope so since I have to bank on my 29 from last year or I'm heading to some school in the Caribean

2 cents to follow, read if you wish.
Retake in January if you can find a spot (refresh browser often). Apply to schools in the USA non-Caribbean anyway. Consider DO. I've heard many times that some or all Caribbean schools are designed in a financially predatory way (accepting people desperate to get in, charging maximum amounts, then most/many don't get a residency spot so they can't become a doctor in the USA). If that's true, people are still taking the bait.

FL AAMC Scores ranged from 28-30
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 10/08/10 - Composite 28

Obviously hoped for >30 but Ill take it. Verbal something personally i couldn't improve on.

Does anyone know of a site which shows schools MCAT policies ? Like most recent , or highest valid score ? Please link me

MSAR book. MSAR=Medical School Admissions Requirements. I think AAMC sells it. Some schools take your best score, others take the most recent, others take your 2 most recent, others take your best score in each section, others average, etc. I would say that most either take your most recent or average.

2 cents to follow, read if you wish.
Retake in January if you can find a spot (refresh browser often). Apply to schools in the USA non-Caribbean anyway. Consider DO. I've heard many times that some or all Caribbean schools are designed in a financially predatory way (accepting people desperate to get in, charging maximum amounts, then most/many don't get a residency spot so they can't become a doctor in the USA). If that's true, people are still taking the bait.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have money for caribeean and maybe that's a good thing.

I feel good for everyone that did well, and now I'm just trying to clear my.mind

Well I can honestly say that I'm ecstatic about my score! I set my goal at 33 from the beginning of my studies. I started in July and averaged about 45 hours a week. I followed SN2's plan. My practice scores ranged from 30-33 with an outlier of 38.

FL AAMC Avg: 31.7
AAMC 10 & 11: 31 and 30
Post test expected score: 32
Actual Score: PS 10, VR 12, BS 12 = 34

I have a 4.0 GPA and about 200 shadowing hours as of now. I'm travelling to Kenya for 14 months to volunteer at a local hospital there (expect to get about ~500 volunteer/shadowing hours) and train for the U.S. Olympic Trials in the marathon. I'm hoping that these experiences will help me stand out. In addition, I wanted to say thank you to SDN and specifically all of you on this forum. I know I don't really know any of you, but you definitely made studying, testing, and waiting much easier. Good luck to you all in the future.

Well I can honestly say that I'm ecstatic about my score! I set my goal at 33 from the beginning of my studies. I started in July and averaged about 45 hours a week. I followed SN2's plan. My practice scores ranged from 30-33 with an outlier of 38.

FL AAMC Avg: 31.7
AAMC 10 & 11: 31 and 30
Post test expected score: 32
Actual Score: PS 10, VR 12, BS 12 = 34

I have a 4.0 GPA and about 200 shadowing hours as of now. I'm travelling to Kenya for 14 months to volunteer at a local hospital there (expect to get about ~500 volunteer/shadowing hours) and train for the U.S. Olympic Trials in the marathon. I'm hoping that these experiences will help me stand out. In addition, I wanted to say thank you to SDN and specifically all of you on this forum. I know I don't really know any of you, but you definitely made studying, testing, and waiting much easier. Good luck to you all in the future.
Are you a super human or something? You make me want to curl up in a ball and cry thinking of your EC's :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if I should smile or cry on my new MCAT score. 14PS+12BS+7VR=33 Total. I noticed that many DO schools request applicants to score 8 or better on VR. My previous score is 12PS+11BS+6VR=29.

I think the VR score will hurt you, but might still get you a few interviews as some schools have 7's in bottom 10%. That said, your total is good and you killed PS so that might get your some looks. I'd ask this on the pre med forum.

wow...speechless. scored wayy below my avg

34 :(

I'll analyze it later. not in the mood right now

:beat::bang::bang::bang:

This might shock you...but you'll survive and you're still in the running for competitive programs if your EC's and grades are there.

everyone currently applying!!!

be sure to update AMCAS that you don't plan to retake (if you don't)
also for AACOMAS, make sure you release your scores to them!

I ended up with a 7 on the PS section... Is that too low to be considered at MD schools? I got a 10 on BS and 11 on VR so that's pretty good and I have a solid GPA (3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA) but I'm also a white male so that doesn't help acceptance rate wise. Should I look exclusively at DO schools or are some MD schools still within reach?

I'm asking for the 12/6 group, but how was your PS curve? From what I've read on this thread, it seems like we had a similar (and unexpected) PS section

Got a 10 on PS Section and personally it felt in line with the most recent AAMC practice tests. A couple of relatively hard questions but no passage stumped me. You shouldn't expect a significant curve.

I ended up with a 7 on the PS section... Is that too low to be considered at MD schools? I got a 10 on BS and 11 on VR so that's pretty good and I have a solid GPA (3.7 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA) but I'm also a white male so that doesn't help acceptance rate wise. Should I look exclusively at DO schools or are some MD schools still within reach?

Ive heard through the grape vine any score below an 8 is concerning to admission regardless of composite score but every school is different. I would consult MSAR and look for MD schools that stress GPA and attempt it anyway. Youll never know if you don't at least try.

What was your distribution of scores for your practice tests? Looks like you scored significantly higher than your average?
Oh and congrats btw!

Thank you!

I'll make a more extensive post about my MCAT hell-journey over the next week, but I scored a 30 on AAMC 7 and a 31 on AAMC 8 so my average is a little weird. I also scored a couple 30s on Kaplan tests. AAMC 10 and 11 freaked me the **** out and were apparently not representative of what happened on the real thing.

Do as many tests from other sources as possible is my best advice to you!

FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: No clue! But felt pretty angry when I came out. I felt like trash those AAMC's 3 ~ 10. They are nowhere close to the actual exam. Only 11 is a true representative.
AAMC 10, 11 - 28, 27
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 12/7/10 - 29
Comments: Thankful to the stars, the powers that be and you all for the support and humor. Went into this test knowing that VR was my Achilles heel. I am right at the cusp so to speak. Dang! missed a 30 by 1 pt. Don't know if I should retake or not. Do have a Jan 10'th seat, so might go for it......Also wanted to add a big fat huge lumpy hug and congratulations! to all who have left this test behind. You deserve! it.....

Last edited:
Hey guys, so long time lurker, first time poster.
I started studying for the exam in early summer (so about 4-5 months). At first, I was doing pretty poorly, but during October is when I took my aamc FL's. Aside from FL3 (29) and FL4 (30), they were all 32's, except FL9 (35) and FL10 (34). Going into the exam, I felt pretty good, but when I sat down and started the exam, I just blanked out. I stared at the questions and just had no idea what to do. I slogged my way through PS, hoping that I would get it together for VR, but I just couldn't get that adrenaline rush that usually accompanies me during exams. My brain felt very sluggish. Anyways, I ended up spending about 15 minutes per passage on VR and had to guess the last 3 passages with 1:27 remaining. The Bio section was a liitle better, and I just got through it hoping to get out of there.
I realized that I royally screwed it up, so I immediately started studying for a Jan date. When checking my scores today, I knew I had failed, but I was just hoping for a 25 so at least I failed with some dignity.
I checked my score and it was VR 11 PS 12 BS 13, for an overall 36. I am in total shock, and I don't really want to celebrate because I am scared that aamc messed up and gave me the wrong score and that they might take it back. I know it sounds crazy, but does the aamc ever make mistakes with the score and give someone a higher score than they deserve?

TL;DR--Messed up exam, blanked out. Got a 36. Could it be a mistake?

I started studying for the exam in early summer (so about 4-5 months). At first, I was doing pretty poorly, but during October is when I took my aamc FL's. Aside from FL3 (29) and FL4 (30), they were all 32's, except FL9 (35) and FL10 (34). Going into the exam, I felt pretty good, but when I sat down and started the exam, I just blanked out. I stared at the questions and just had no idea what to do. I slogged my way through PS, hoping that I would get it together for VR, but I just couldn't get that adrenaline rush that usually accompanies me during exams. My brain felt very sluggish. Anyways, I ended up spending about 15 minutes per passage on VR and had to guess the last 3 passages with 1:27 remaining. The Bio section was a liitle better, and I just got through it hoping to get out of there.
I realized that I royally screwed it up, so I immediately started studying for a Jan date. When checking my scores today, I knew I had failed, but I was just hoping for a 25 so at least I failed with some dignity.
I checked my score and it was VR 11 PS 12 BS 13, for an overall 36. I am in total shock, and I don't really want to celebrate because I am scared that aamc messed up and gave me the wrong score and that they might take it back. I know it sounds crazy, but does the aamc ever make mistakes with the score and give someone a higher score than they deserve?

You must have the mental fortitude of an amazonian warrior to not have voided that test. You probably just got lucky guesses :D

TL;DR--Messed up exam, blanked out. Got a 36. Could it be a mistake?

Slow clap for the gentleman over here! Bravo bravo you are amazing lol!

Anything is possible wow! How did you guess on verbal, just one letter all the way for the last 3 passages?

You must have the mental fortitude of an amazonian warrior to not have voided that test. You probably just got lucky guesses :D
I hope that's it. I really wanted to void it, but I was almost certain I wouldn't get a seat for a Jan test date.

I got the same exact break down! My initial response was exactly like yours! Only my previous 31 with the correct breakdown below assured me that they didn't make a mistake after all. Congrats!!! :claps:

Hey all! I decided to just lurk for a while since I had nothing all too worthwhile to post, but...here we finally are! I'm so glad for those of you who are happy with their score! For those who didn't do as well as they wanted--keep your chin up! This isn't the end of it all!

FL AAMC Average: 32 [retakes, so possibly inflated scores]
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 34 [retakes]
Post-test expected score: 31-33
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/11 - 32 (right in the middle!)

I got a 26 the first time I took the MCAT (it was a disaster), so let me tell you...I'm happy with this score. I'm just glad it's finally over!
yay mello! :) looks like you survived the sn2'd schedule

FL AAMC Scores ranged from 31-37
Post-test expected score: 32-35
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 13/09/11 - Composite 33

Pretty bummed about my verbal score, I've been consistently getting 10s with some 11s on the verbal practice tests so it threw me off when I got my score back. Was hoping to apply to some top tier schools, but not sure if I can stay competitive with a 9 in verbal. Would love to hear back any input on the subject.... At least its done...:shifty:

Are you a super human or something? You make me want to curl up in a ball and cry thinking of your EC's :)

Haha well thank you. I appreciate that, but I still have to actually do them! I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but if all of those hours are volunteering rather than shadowing will that hurt me? I'm not sure if they would allow me to shadow or even know what that is over there.

Ah, so I got a 29 (10PS/7VR/12BS) which I am satisfied with but not sure if need to retake cause of that 7. I reeeaaallly dont want to retake :(

I HATE VERBAL

FL AAMC Scores ranged from 31-37
Post-test expected score: 32-35
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 13/09/11 - Composite 33

Pretty bummed about my verbal score, I've been consistently getting 10s with some 11s on the verbal practice tests so it threw me off when I got my score back. Was hoping to apply to some top tier schools, but not sure if I can stay competitive with a 9 in verbal. Would love to hear back any input on the subject.... At least its done...:shifty:
I had a 12 9 12 breakdown, and it didn't hold me back. Got 6 interviews. You will be fine with solid ECs. best wishes.

FL AAMC Average: 29
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 27 (only took 10, under the worse testing conditions ever)
Post-test expected score: I honestly didn't know what to think here. There were days I felt like I got a 3 and others where I felt i got a 35. Eventually I leveled out at around a 30, with PS probably being my weakest section.
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 11/8/12 = 31
Not going to lie, a bit bummed about that 8, since I felt good about VR after the exam. But i guess me feeling good about that led me to a good score in BS. So I am definitely satisfied.

Test Date: 11-7/14
Time: 8:00
FL AAMC mean(SD): 35.6 (2.6)
9-11 mean(SD): 36.7 (1.2)
Actual: 14/12/15 composite = 41

I cried a lot.

Reactions: 10 users
Test Date: 11-7/14
Time: 8:00
FL AAMC mean(SD): 35.6 (2.6)
9-11 mean(SD): 36.7 (1.2)
Actual: 14/12/15 composite = 41

I cried a lot.

How many questions were you sure you got wrong or how many did you only narrow down to 2 choices for each section?

I'm retaking. Don't care what anyone thinks but I'm capable of much more than a 34. January here I come!

r u gonna post a guide of how u studied for the mcat? :luck:
what things r u gonna change in your studying this time around?

going to plan that out tonight and tomorrow. First plan of action is to register for a date near me and find access to more full lengths.