The Official January 8th, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alteredstate213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!!
Retaker here, I'm officially starting to study today using SN2ed's four month schedule! I was going to use Princeton Review and BR for tests since I've exhausted the AAMC and GoldStandard tests.

148 days left! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Test date: 1/8/2015
Time: 8:00 AM
Practice Test average: 27(10/7/10)
AAMC 10-11 average: Not applicable
Post test expected score: 25-30
Actual score: 31 (12/9/10)

I have never gotten above a 7 on my verbal. I was hoping for a 12 on bio but oh well-- I am freaking happy though.

I swear this is crazy. 4 points above my average--I think I under-performed on my practice tests!! LOOOOOOOOOOOL. I literally cannot believe this.
But I believe in God-- so miracles are possible.

Reactions: 8 users
Practice Test average: 31.6 (Only counting tests 7-11 since I had not finished physics when I took the earlier ones)
AAMC 10-11 average: 31
Post test expected score: 27-33 (I had no idea how I was gonna do, hence the big range)
Actual score: 33 (13/9/11)

:)

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC average: 40
AAMC 10-11 average: 39
Post test expected score: 34-37
Actual score: 30-35

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With that 25 (8,9,8) and a 3.82 cgpa, 3.75 sgpa, good EK's/letters is MD out of the question??

With that 25 (8,9,8) and a 3.82 cgpa, 3.75 sgpa, good EK's/letters is MD out of the question??

Assuming you're not a URM, MD is highly unlikely (unless you're open to Caribbean). I think people forget though that you can still get an MD residency from a DO school if you do well. The disparity between MD and DO is greatly exaggerated, the only people that seem to think there's a difference is pre-meds and retirement-age MDs that only remember the early era of DO school products.

Personally, I'll receive my MCAT score on the 18th, and barring a disaster my stats will be well above average for DO schools. The bulk of my applications will still be to DO, the end goal hopefully being I'll have a few options to choose from. You've got to spend a minimum of 4 years at this place, it better be somewhere you like. There are some very high quality DO schools in some beautiful locations -- don't think your life is over because you have to settle for the "less competitive" medical schools. You're still going to be a doctor if you really want to be.

Practice Test average: All AAMC average 30.25 PS 9.5 VR 10.25 BS 10.5
Post test expected score: 30 -31
Actual score: 33 PS: 11 VR: 10 BS: 12

I am very happy since I will not retake the new MCAT ... but thought I did better on the VR section than I did, but did better on BS section, so all in all worked out.
"One and Done"

Questions : Do you know if schools look at the Percentiles ??
Heard schools look more at VR section than others -- any comments .
How competitive is a 33, I have been more focused on improving my scores than ranges.

Thanks for your input

Hi everyone! Fortunately, I scored my max AAMC practice test score of 28, PS9/V10/BS9. Unfortunately, that's still not pretty good, especially compared to all of you ._.
Can I have some advice? I'm in a great university, a Mexican female with a 3.86 GPA and a 28 MCAT. I currently am in Global Medical Training (first mission trip in May), a campus health peer educator, volunteer in the woman's post-labor department at my local hospital, a new member into a cancer bike group that travels from Texas to Alaska to spread cancer awareness, I'm a full time research student investigating cancer causing components, AND I live in Texas! (apparently that matters?)
My options are state schools, I don't care which (for cost). Now that I'm done bragging, I have one Q-drop, a 28 MCAT, and I have yet to take Physics II and the physics lab with it (I got two A's on the first set).
I don't know if I should go ahead and apply with what I have, because I don't want to take the MCAT again without taking my last physics class (in the fall). Tell me what my chances are! I would love to go to BCM honestly :(

I'm down range in the field eating mud right now. I refuse to look at my scores until I come back home by the end of this month. It's already stressful as it is out here.

AAMC average: 27
AAMC 10-11 average: 28
Post test expected score: 24
Actual score: 27 (9/9/9)

Applying mainly DO, so I'll take it!

Did anyone run out of time on PS, VR or BS and still manage to get above a 7 or 8?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you ask?

I am a January 13th taker and out PS section was very calculation heavy and nothing like the AAMC test...I actually didn't finish one passage and guessed blindly on it. Verbal was okay but I felt so terrible on the PS that I missed a few questions on VR. I just want to know if a 7 or 8 is possible after such a massacre.
Trying to the faith....

Hey! I ran out of time for VR and BS (I didn't get to 3 questions on both) and had gotten a 10 and 9 respectively :/

Thanks....I'm hoping my results weren't too bad. I was getting between 9-10 on PS and VR and 10-12 on BS...not counting some outlier results.

Want to contribute to the data.

AAMC average: 38
Post test expected score: 30 (12 VR/8 BS/ 10 PS)
Actual score: 35 (13 VR/10 BS/12 PS)

Definitely left the test feeling awful, especially on bio, but definitely okay with the final result. Hope everyone is enjoying some relief that at least now we know! The last month was brutal.

hello guys so the first time i took the mcat i got a 22. 7/6/9 and thats in order of ps/vb/bs.

AAMC avg 27.5
post expected score 26-30
Actual score 28: 10/8/10 : ps/vb/bs
was really hoping for a 30 ...
As a URM what are my chances considering that i took all of my pre-req at a community college expect organic chemisty 1&2 and by the i got A's for all my pre-req including organic chemsitry 1 & 2. i will love to get some feed back.

AAMC average: 31.25
Post test expected score: 30
Actual score: 14/9/10 (33)

I am a January 13th taker and out PS section was very calculation heavy and nothing like the AAMC test...I actually didn't finish one passage and guessed blindly on it. Verbal was okay but I felt so terrible on the PS that I missed a few questions on VR. I just want to know if a 7 or 8 is possible after such a massacre.
Trying to the faith....

If you got all the questions you got to answering right then a 7 or 8 is possible!

I was more pressed for time on the real thing than on any AAMC practice test.

hello guys so the first time i took the mcat i got a 22. 7/6/9 and thats in order of ps/vb/bs.

AAMC avg 27.5
post expected score 26-30
Actual score 28: 10/8/10 : ps/vb/bs
was really hoping for a 30 ...
As a URM what are my chances considering that i took all of my pre-req at a community college expect organic chemisty 1&2 and by the i got A's for all my pre-req including organic chemsitry 1 & 2. i will love to get some feed back.

A 28 is only a little ways off from a 30.

I guess your chances hinge on various factors: Whether you plan to apply MD or DO or both and also your GPA. Your MCAT is pretty good I think.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who completely bombed and the rest of you just aren't posting..Happy for you folks out there hitting upper 30s..but man I'm just..devastated..the tears won't stop coming:(

I knew I would be off in a corner with a box of tissues. I cried the moment I saw my score, but for a very different reason than the last two times.

AAMC average: Didn't take them
Post test expected score: 22 (7/6/9)
Actual score: 31 (10/11/10)

I could not be more excited. What's strange is verbal was always the section that I struggled with. Even throughout the practice material I would consistently get really low scores and never saw any improvement. And yet it ended up being my highest score. I am so thrilled to finally have a competitive, balanced score. Third time was indeed the charm. :soexcited:

Hopefully I'm not the only one who completely bombed and the rest of you just aren't posting..Happy for you folks out there hitting upper 30s..but man I'm just..devastated..the tears won't stop coming:(

There's always a large number of folks who do poorly and don't post (I don't blame them). Did you score well below your AAMC average? Not sure how low you scored, but is DO still an option? Give us a feel for your circumstance so we can offer some help.

I bombed it the first two times I took it. I felt like a complete failure, like all the studying I had done in undergrad and the money I spent taking the exam was for nothing. Let me tell you, though, NEVER GIVE UP!!! You CAN do this. You ABSOLUTELY can. I had to take it 3 times to finally get the score I wanted, but I did end up getting it. The one thing that kept me going was the constant reminder from my husband that our future patients need us. We cannot let one test (albeit an important test) cause us to give up on our dreams and thus, our future patients. It sucks for now, but it doesn't matter how far you fall, or how many times you fall. It matters that you get back up after the setbacks and KEEP WORKING AT IT! You can do this!

Reactions: 5 users
Why do you ask?
I had maybe 10 seconds to spare with BS, but I did okay on VR, thanks to doing the practice passages and associated questions in 7 minutes per passage rather than the 8 some we have on the actual exam. BS was rough. I always finished BS with 10 minutes to spare (Biology major here), but this exam had me scrambling at the end. I kept zoning out and I had to go back and reread one particular passage two or three times before I had an idea of what was going on.

EDIT: I definitely quoted the wrong person, lol. I was trying to quote @Zaba .

Time: 7:00 PM
AAMC average: 29-30ish
Post test expectations: 27-31
4/2014 score: 7PS/9VR/9BS - 25
6/2014 score: 8PS/10VR/9BS - 27 (should have never taken it so soon after my April and while working fulltime grrr)
1/8/2015 score: 9PS/10VR/10BS - 29

Reaction: Meh.

Pissed because 1) I took so much more time + shelled dat Ben Franklin to study for the January MCAT and 2) I have had about 5 AAMC/Kaplan tests that were 30/31, with VR and BS subscores sometimes being 12s or 13s. It's painful because I KNOW I am capable of that 30+, but never attained it on the real thing. Sigh.

However a 29 isn't bad for my state for MD, and DO will be very doable for this upcoming 15'/16' cycle if I don't get in for the 14'/15' cycle. Also, for 3 retakes I think the fact that my subscores either stayed the same or increased but never decreased is a subtle positive? Sigh. :(

You're not alone, I did awful and I already cried multiple times today but I'm trying to stay hopeful about the future. Hang in there.

I'm really sorry to see your post. I know exactly how you feel. The first time I took the MCAT (July 2 last year), I came out with a 27. I was shocked and devastated. I allowed myself 24 hours of moping around and crying, but then I made a plan and got to work again. If you are really dedicated to becoming a doctor, you will find a way!!!!!!

AAMC average: 38
Post test expected score:32-34
Actual score: 14/13/12 (39)

I left thinking I dicked myself with Bio.

This was my second go at this ****ing **** **** ****-stick of a test. Started from a combined 30 last time around.

Last edited:
I saw that someone had run some statistics for an early test date so I thought I'd post my scores if anyone was doing that for 1/8/15.

AAMC Average: 32 (but I only took 4 of the practice tests - high of 34 and low of 29)
Predicted score: >29 (based on the feelings that I had after my practice tests
Actual Score: 35 (PS 12/VR 11/BS 12)

I felt alright after the real test, but not stellar. Very surprised and happy to see a 35. Best of luck to everyone else.

AAMC average: 32
1/8 test: 32 (11,10,11)

Feel ok since I got my average, but was definitely hoping for a couple points higher as the real test felt pretty good. Maybe I was just excited from finally getting it done..

Practice Test average: 34 (second time taking the AAMC's). First time average was 28.
AAMC 10-11 average: 33.5 (first was 29)
Post test expected score: 25-31
Actual score: 33 (PS12/VR09/BS12)

I am a retaker. First time took it on September 12, 2014 and got 26 (09/07/10). I am way beyond happy with my score. Honestly was praying for a 30. Thank God!

To anyone who is planning to retake, don't be discouraged with people telling you that you won't improve much. If I did it, you can too.

Reactions: 2 users
A 28 is only a little ways off from a 30.

I guess your chances hinge on various factors: Whether you plan to apply MD or DO or both and also your GPA. Your MCAT is pretty good I think.

My cGPA is 3.56 and my sGPA is 3.69 and I work as a clinical microbiologist in a hospital

There are people who get into MD schools with a 25. The application cycle is VERY unpredictable. Always go for it, especially if your heart is urging you to.

Completely Shocked.....First time test taker....Don't know what to do next or how to comprehend this or what went wrong on Test Day.....Appreciate any advise that can be offered on potential next steps...

AAMC average: Average for 3,5,7,8,9,10 : 35
AAMC 11 : 38
Post test expected score: Don't know
Actual score: 29 (PS 12/VR 9/BS 8)

1/8/2015
Avg AAMC score: 28
AAMC TESTS 8-11: 34
ACTUAL SCORE: 21

congrats to you guy/gals that did well!
I don't know how you guys did it. The test looked nothing like the aamc tests that I bought from the the aamc.org.This test threw me off soo much to a point that I feel as if I cannot trust the AAMC test materials. For me it was detailed like I never seen. Verbal was ok, but PS and BS were barely in my practice materials. Only if I had my knowledge from my labs from 3 years ago would I have been able to atleast get a 30. So my question is, how did you guys do it? Lol is it really just finding all the tests you can and doing those? At this point I'm not sure anymore. I just want to be able to fix my mistakes and apply this to future tests. In short, it looked NOTHING LIKE THE OLD AAMC. I read the january 10th comments and everyone did their average.

how did you guys do it? Lol is it really just finding all the tests you can and doing those? At this point I'm not sure anymore. I just want to be able to fix my mistakes and apply this to future tests. In short, it looked NOTHING LIKE THE OLD AAMC. I read the january 10th comments and everyone did their average.

Calm Nerves play a huge role.
Also, pure English comprehension skill.

Doing a lot of practice builds those. Extra science knowledge is a bonus

@dannyfanny327

I think the exam above being familiar with content also assesses your ability to think critically and choose the best answer under timed conditions. Sometimes you're thrown off by a number of factors things like nerves, losing focus and running out of time on sections.

Practice Test average: 32
AAMC 10-11 average: 31
Post test expected score: 29-33 (walked out not really knowing how to feel)
Actual score: 30, PS 10 VR 10 BS 10

Initially I was disappointed, but I can't really complain I guess.
Congrats everyone!

Got my scores
Vr 9 ps 9 bs 10 total 28

2nd time here 1st time was 24 vr 10 bs 6 ps 8

I'm happy considering that I had nightmares about getting scores bet 22-24.

I'm disappointed about ps bc it's my strongest area w a predictive average of 11+ based on practice tests. Oh well... I tend to make stupid mistakes on easy problems. The margin of error is just smaller considering its level of easiness.

I don't know what happened to my VR
14/5/12.
My aamc VR average was 9 (8 lowest)......
Wow your sciences are amazing!! I got a 26 (11/5/10) so I guess we are both in kind the same situation. I never scored a 5 on any of the tests... I was expecting a 6 to be my lowest possible

I got a terrible score, and definitely not posting it. :D Moreover I am a reetaker, and actually did one point lower this time...bummer. BAD BAD idea taking MCAT just 2 months after the first test, while working 40-50 hours a week.
I will be applying with my current scores, as I have good EC's and great GPA, and just see how it goes.
And then maybe podiatry or dental school as a back up plan....Who knows!

Well now that I have stopped sobbing my eyes out.... I, like others on this thread, ended up being 4 points lower than my AAMC average and was PRAYING for a 30, hoping for my "goal" of a 32. That is down the drain. Fortunately, it's not the end of the line for me. My EC's and GPA will hopefully make up for the slight blemish of a slightly lower score. My state school has traditionally accepted people with my score and GPA so I guess there is that...I will also be throwing out a couple of reaches to a few nearby schools in hopes that they latch on?

Just a reminder to those of us with slightly lower scores, D.O. schools are a great choice as well! Today I was told, "If you are going through hell, just keep on going."