The OFFICIAL INTERVIEW Thread 2008-09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdiddy4EM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well! It's that time of the year when ERAS applications have been submitted and people are anxiously waiting to hear back for interviews. We are all in this process together. It helps to have an idea of when programs have started to offer interview invites.

I'll start and best of luck to everyone this year!

GEORGETOWN (DC): pdiddy4EM

Members don't see this ad.

Already :eek:

Maybe it would help the paranoia a little bit if people could include whether they rotated at said program. Thanks in advance!

oh wow...i need a drink! Maybe a 1/3 of my selected programs have yet to even download!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Already :eek:

Maybe it would help the paranoia a little bit if people could include whether they rotated at said program. Thanks in advance!

I didn't do a rotation at Gtown and its not my home institution either. I had everything in including my LORs when I submitted (well not the dean's letter, obviously). Hope that helps. Best of luck.

:luck: to all.
This is much easier to watch this year as an intern than as a 4th year medical student.

good luck and if anyone needs 411 on U of Az.. pm me.. i dont frequent this website like I used to but I still come on.

So I am on an away rotation and I had a long discussion with the PD here. This is a very competitive program and this PD has been in this game for a very long time. He says that even though his program has downloaded my file, they don't even look at it until the Dean's Letter is in on Nov. 1st. He says that is typical and that many programs don't even download until much later because there really is no point in doing it until they have all the information they need to make interview decisions.

He also said that he and many other PDs are a bit suspect of programs that would offer an interview before seeing most or all of your information prior to offering interviews. Also, some programs will grant interviews during an away rotation, or to folks who have extenuating circumstances that prevent interviews during the regular season (like a military deployment, for example).

So for all of you out there who, like me, were tracking your application daily, there really is no point until around the end of Oct/early Nov. It doesn't mean anything if you don't hear back until Nov. and that your file has not been downloaded. It's OK. :)

Good luck to everyone this year. I cannot wait to see some of you on the interview trail! :cool:

Amen. I matched at my top choice program, and they did not contact ANYONE until after Nov 1. ENJOY this time of year-- it's fun to watch invites roll in. Don't stress!

So I am on an away rotation and I had a long discussion with the PD here. This is a very competitive program and this PD has been in this game for a very long time. He says that even though his program has downloaded my file, they don't even look at it until the Dean's Letter is in on Nov. 1st. He says that is typical and that many programs don't even download until much later because there really is no point in doing it until they have all the information they need to make interview decisions.

He also said that he and many other PDs are a bit suspect of programs that would offer an interview before seeing most or all of your information prior to offering interviews. Also, some programs will grant interviews during an away rotation, or to folks who have extenuating circumstances that prevent interviews during the regular season (like a military deployment, for example).

So for all of you out there who, like me, were tracking your application daily, there really is no point until around the end of Oct/early Nov. It doesn't mean anything if you don't hear back until Nov. and that your file has not been downloaded. It's OK. :)

Good luck to everyone this year. I cannot wait to see some of you on the interview trail! :cool:

I'm a senior resident at Orlando Health (formerly Orlando Regional), feel free to message me if you have any questions.

He also said that he and many other PDs are a bit suspect of programs that would offer an interview before seeing most or all of your information prior to offering interviews. [unquote] well, as one of those suspect programs, I'll have to object. We've got 300-500 apps to go through. The faculty time to do it is large. we might as well do as much of it as we can soonest. Further, we've got about 100+ interviews to do, we need to start interviewing as soon after the dean's letters come out as possible. For efficiencies sake, we make one of three decisions: 1. there's enough there (usually transcript, strong scores and SLOR) to know that we are going to offer, so we go ahead and do it. 2. There's enough problems to know we aren't going to interview. Put them out of suspense now. 3. It's unclear, put them off until more info comes.

Invited for an interview at Orlando Regional Medical Center, just got the email today.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added.

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

By the by, I heard from someone else who said they got invites from Georgetown like day 1...I guess there's just some schools that do it that way

He also said that he and many other PDs are a bit suspect of programs that would offer an interview before seeing most or all of your information prior to offering interviews. [unquote] well, as one of those suspect programs, I'll have to object. We've got 300-500 apps to go through. The faculty time to do it is large. we might as well do as much of it as we can soonest. Further, we've got about 100+ interviews to do, we need to start interviewing as soon after the dean's letters come out as possible. For efficiencies sake, we make one of three decisions: 1. there's enough there (usually transcript, strong scores and SLOR) to know that we are going to offer, so we go ahead and do it. 2. There's enough problems to know we aren't going to interview. Put them out of suspense now. 3. It's unclear, put them off until more info comes.

I certainly mean no disrespect. :) I would be ecstatic to get an interview a little bit early, particularly given the limited times in my schedule for interviewing. I had heard that lots of programs (including great programs, not that any programs in EM are bad) start interviewing in October. I have one such interview from a program I'm very interested in and I'm grateful for it. The purpose of my post was twofold: (1) to help people to stop stressing out; (2) to report what I was told from one PD at a single program. I agree with you that there are lots of great reasons to interview a candidate before all info is in.
Regards,
NeuroSync

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk, domer621

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

I certainly mean no disrespect. :) I would be ecstatic to get an interview a little bit early, particularly given the limited times in my schedule for interviewing. I had heard that lots of programs (including great programs, not that any programs in EM are bad) start interviewing in October. I have one such interview from a program I'm very interested in and I'm grateful for it. The purpose of my post was twofold: (1) to help people to stop stressing out; (2) to report what I was told from one PD at a single program. I agree with you that there are lots of great reasons to interview a candidate before all info is in.
Regards,
NeuroSync

I feel left out:( no interviews:(:(

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk, domer621, ccfccp

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk, domer621, ccfccp

Washington D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Tennessee
Vanderbilt -- had2piknowEM

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Tennessee
Vanderbilt -- had2piknowEM, ccfccp

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Are your applications complete (with the exception of the MSPE of course)?

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Tennessee
Vanderbilt -- had2piknowEM, ccfccp, ItsTimein2009

Washington
D.C.
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

WOOOHOOO!!! First interview!

Good luck everyone!

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan
MSU/Lansing -- tinkerbelle

Tennessee

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

As the interview season is just about to kick off, anyone want to start a 2009reviewer ID so students can post their thoughts on the programs and any changes that may have occurred from the previous years on an anonymous basis?

well I can put the vodka away - thanks

Oldman

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM[/QUOTE]

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan
St. John--pdiddy4EM

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan
St. John--pdiddy4EM, tybalt

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM:

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk, domer621, ccfccp, iTam

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM:

bah..still nothing...and i made AOA!:( this is stupid lol

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida
Orlando Regional Medical Center -- had2piknowEM, RRPiper, DocVirk, domer621, ccfccp, iTam

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil, DO2009

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

bah..still nothing...and i made AOA!:( this is stupid lol

hey man, if you are AOA you are golden. Congrats on such an accomplishment! This is a tough process especially when you talk to friends who are applying to other fields who are receiving a handful of interviews daily. As the old saying goes, good things happen to those who wait. I'm sure when the time comes, programs will be hollering at you to the point that you'll feel overwhelmed (which will be a great thing). Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those thusfar. :)

hey man, if you are AOA you are golden. Congrats on such an accomplishment! This is a tough process especially when you talk to friends who are applying to other fields who are receiving a handful of interviews daily. As the old saying goes, good things happen to those who wait. I'm sure when the time comes, programs will be hollering at you to the point that you'll feel overwhelmed (which will be a great thing). Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those thusfar. :)

i should apply to texas and DC...lol

i should apply to texas and DC...lol

Dude, if it makes you feel any better, you and I have similar stats (AOA, > avg Steps etc.) and applied to almost the same programs and I haven't heard from any programs yet. In fact, there are still a few schools on my list that haven't even downloaded my apps yet. Hang in there man; it's still really early.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added.

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil, DO2009, hyperbaric

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil, DO2009, hyperbaric

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM[/quote]

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

Tennessee

Texas
Texas Tech -- medicfletch, Dr. Ditka, Old_Mil, DO2009, hyperbaric, Jimini37

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

South Carolina
MUSC-pdiddy4EM

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

South Carolina
MUSC-pdiddy4EM, frogmed

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

South Carolina
MUSC-pdiddy4EM, frogmed, Jimini37

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

South Carolina
MUSC-pdiddy4EM, frogmed, Jimini37, Tybalt

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC
Georgetown -- pdiddy4EM

Colorado
Denver -- NeuroSync

Florida

Michigan

Ohio
tOSU -- gbmrsnr

South Carolina
MUSC-pdiddy4EM, frogmed, Jimini37, Tybalt, KYTNOH

Tennessee

Texas

Washington, DC