All Branch Topic (ABT) The Official "I don't care what my OPR says" anymore thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for the docs who have done their time and are preparing to move onto what's next, whether it be a GMO transitioning into residency or a residency-trained (BE/BC) physician moving into civilian life.

I'll start -- I have 13 months until I breathe the sweet free air of civilian residency, and while I always will provide excellent patient care and will ensure that I take care of my primary duties as a FS, I could care less about all of this secondary duty nonsense, CBTs, or how my OPR reads to Joe Schmoe BSC/MSC/NC/FGO/GO/etc. Who else is with me!?

I actually have a timer on my desk right now counting down the seconds. It's a beautiful thing. https://www.countdowntime.com/timetogo/editions.cfm/edition/Air Force

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can decline your last OPR, at least if you are retiring, not sure if separating. Anyone know?

The Army's version is an OER, and my penultimate one is due soon. I really want to blow off the accompanying support form, but I probably won't. I suppose anything could happen, so no reason to burn bridges.

I would love to hear that I can decline my last OER. Separating from the Army is already a ridiculously convoluted, 7-month long process. I'd welcome anything that makes it simpler.

Members don't see this ad :)
When they asked for inputs for my separation FITREP (Navy version of OER/OPR), I wrote "set the standard by which all check out scavanger hunts will be measured for the next millenium." Didn't make it into the FITREP sadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Thirteen months for me too! Hoping for civilian residency next summer. Also hoping the next 13 months fly by before my patience wears so thin I do something I regret. We can initiate separation paperwork at 12 months remaining, right?

Thirteen months for me too! Hoping for civilian residency next summer. Also hoping the next 13 months fly by before my patience wears so thin I do something I regret. We can initiate separation paperwork at 12 months remaining, right?

Yep. The countdown to the 1 July, 12-month mark is a small victory by itself. I feel like hanging a copy of my resignation memo around my neck just to show people whenever they ask me to do something beyond my basic job description. Which says nothing of the borderline necessity of starting that early. I was told to expect a 7-month long process. If you've got substantial separation leave and/or don't stay on top of the bureaucrats to handle your paperwork in a timely fashion, it's easy to see how things could get mucked up.

I openly maintain a countdown of total days left. I also sub-categorize this on a poster board in my office
t-weekend days
t-(weekend days+holidays)
t-(weekend days+holidays+training holidays)
t-(weekend days+holidays+training holidays+pTDY days)

I usually end up writing the rater portion with my rater. However, when my senior raters stopped caring enough to counsel me, I stopped caring enough to pay attention to the OER.

Amazing how the OER contains nothing about your actual job (i.e. RVU productivity, complication rates (for surgeons), patient satisfaction scores, revenue generated, etc). Glad that the real important things like attending patient safety meetings and filling hand-washing forms make it on there.

On the draft of my EOT award I submitted I wrote "instituted [CO's policy] and contributed tote lowest morale in hospital history"

That was also edited out.