The Official 9/02/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhappytnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In for 9/2 date.

Taking in in Baton Rouge.

I've been prepping for about two weeks, but have been having trouble sticking to a schedule. I'm using EK, and liking it so far, but I won't know for sure until I take a full length practice (Aiming for July 4th on first full length). I have about 28 chapters to go, and I'd like to be finished with the prep Material by August 1st so I can stick to practice tests an working on weaknesses.

How's everyone feeling about this? I feel way behind with my prep work haha.

I'm with you guys! I'm a rewriter. Lets get this started! Wooo! :D I will post here everyday with my progress. I hope the rest of you do as well!

started working on VR. been doing TPRH verbal and i realized i cant read for ***. been missing 3-4 questions per passage. EFFFF

I am with you all.. here is to the 9/2 Mcat .. I am using TBR materials, this is my first attempt and hopefully my only..

Starting my MCAT prep on July 1st since I am taking a summer class until then. Hopefully two months will be enough. :)

Good luck everyone!

Whoops! Forgot to post my daily progress.

Am done up to and including Section 4 in both Physics and Chemistry, and started VR today (kind of late, I know!), but will keep doing 4 passages till the big day!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have been content-reviewing for the last 2 month and took some D-exams, not happy with my results. some people told me the MCAT is not how much you know but how many correct answers you will get, I do understand that , now i am doing practice questions as well as some reviews, soon i will be taking a lot of TPR and AAMC D-tests.
i guess i am short of inspiration right now ( although i will march on!!), yes i read some of my fellow "Test takers" experience about their journey, ups and downs, doubts etc. if i can put my feelings on graph , the sine and cosine function graph has nothing on me. well, how are you guys doing? how are you guys fighting the stress, the doubt ?

Have so far completed one section in TBR Physics, O-Chem, and G-Chem. Gotta get crackin on the Verbal, though.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with some personal stuff and have done very little MCAT studying for the past several days :scared:
Hopefully I will catch up this weekend!

I am trying to finish all of my content reading/practice passages by July 20, and then I am going to start taking FLs (45 days before the test), as per TBR's recommendations.

For content review, I am trying to do all of the practice passages in the TPR science and TPR verbal workbooks, as well as all of the passages in the TBR books. I have given up on Kaplan and EK for now, though I may go back to them later.

Hope everyone else is on schedule!

what did you find wrong with EK? I was thinking TBR and TPR were too detailed and wanted to change to EK. What say you?

First timer here! The date is getting closer and closer. Finished 5 sections of Tbr Gen chem, physics,orgo, and Bio!

TBR is tough but I feel like its good practice for the real thing. Sometimes though its kinda annoying to see you got 50% of the questions wrong, but that's a good way to learn imo. Is anybody doing/done Tpr hyperlearning Bio passages? How do you feel about it? I feel like the most of the passages are based on experiments and are quite different from TBR Bio passages.

i have tpr science workbook as well but it seems like its not divided into sections. how do you know which passages cover which topics?

True that TPR Bio passages are different than TBR passages but some passages in tbr volume 2 are ridiculous sometimes like the microbio chapters.I just feel like WTF how am I supossed to know this. But then again its better safe than sorry and the more practice you get the better.
I am doing TPR bio and I think it is challenging (in a good way).

I am doing TPR + TBR, and I think they complement each other nicely (TPR has great freestanding questions and really good passages and TBR has great passages). As you wrote, TPR's bio passages have a different feel compared to TBR's bio passages, but I think that's a good thing because by doing both you get exposed to a wide variety of passage types and writing styles.

I am also taking it Sept 2nd :scared:

I am taking TBR class which is going well but I have been putting off self studying quite a bit. Just need to force myself to go to the library. Pretty much using the TBR books but also have some of the EK books(verbal, 1001 ones).

Is September 2nd too late to be taking the MCAT if I want to apply this year? Or is the problem that I can apply but I'd be getting my results back AFTER having applied to some schools (not knowing my scores and perhaps applying to schools whose cut-offs my scores don't meet)?

And I've read the MCAT Essentials documents, but if I have my driver's license (matching my application info), is that all I need for identification on test day? Can I use my health card?

I know I'm asking basic, dumb questions but this is my first time writing it and I'M A NERVOUS WRECK :eek:

The 9/2 test date is considered "late", but I also am applying this year...Generally it's frowned upon because most schools have rolling admissions, but you never want to take the MCAT until you are ready & if that mean's September then keep your date. I would suggest that you get your primary application in now- you would be taking the risk of not knowing your scores but you CAN add schools after your primary is submitted. Don't linger on your secondary applications either-lots of schools send them without an MCAT score, so start working on them while you are waiting!! Also, keep in mind there are lots of people who linger - there are re-takers in Sept, people who procrastinate or are too busy to get their secondaries in earlier... I would stay your still in the game just know that you are taking a chance but it is possible :) And yes, bring your Drivers license or passport.. some form of government ID.. you may be of benefit calling your testing center or AAMC to put yourself at ease knowing you have the right answer and not solely going on what we have to say on SDN :) but it's always a great resource. Good Luck!

hey guys I am also taking it Sep, how is everybody getting ready for the big day? how are you guys dealing with stress and frustration ( of course it sneaks in), when you don't feel like you are not " quite ready"? please share your experience and how you guys are dealing with it motivation and inspirations that is helping you to march on!! thanks! and good luck every body

Last edited:
i wanted to get 09/10 but couldn't get it. I was told that 3 months in advance would be good enough to get the date you want but 09/10 was completely full in california. I would have driven to norcal to take it in 09/10 if it was available. I am in 2pm session for 09/02. I really want to get some good sleep before the testing

i picked 9/02 because it seemed a lot more logical to me to study through the summer when i have nothing else to do rather than juggle school work with mcat studying. :) also i just finished all the prereqs so everything's fresh in my mind.

:)

i picked 9/02 because it seemed a lot more logical to me to study through the summer when i have nothing else to do rather than juggle school work with mcat studying. :) also i just finished all the prereqs so everything's fresh in my mind.

:)

Same here. Good luck!

Looks like im pushing my August 12th date back to this date, I need to see some improvement in my VR section. My plan is to incorporate EK.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just thought I'd post on here because I'm taking the MCAT on 9/2 as well :)

Actually, I'm feeling horrible about it right now, I'm taking a Kaplan course and have been going to lectures, etc (my instructor is actually FANTASTIC, so i've been learning a lot there, surprisingly), but essentially haven't even started self-study yet :O
My plan is to go ahead and read most of the Kaplan content chapters while doing practice passages, etc. sprinkled in between, with maybe a little EK to supplement it.

Am I screwed for the 9/2 date if I pretty much haven't even started self-study yet (I've been to about a month's worth of lectures, but that's about it :scared:)?

Good luck everyone! Sorry to be such a downer, I'm feeling neurotic and pre-meddy today.

Thanks, biophilia! MCAT, here we come :)

Hmm, retaking the MCAT isn't really an option with my schedule for next year: considering that, would you still think that I have enough time to study properly?

Anyone else with only 2 months to study?:rolleyes:

I work 5 days a week, but only until about 1pm (so, 8am to 1pm each day), with Kaplan lectures three times a week for about 3 1/2 hours a pop. I'll probably finish my internship after the first week of August or so. Is this enough time? About how many hours per day should I be putting in for the 2 month plan? Sorry to totally hijack this awesome thread with my neuroticism, haha
redface.gif

I work 5 days a week, but only until about 1pm (so, 8am to 1pm each day), with Kaplan lectures three times a week for about 3 1/2 hours a pop. I'll probably finish my internship after the first week of August or so. Is this enough time? About how many hours per day should I be putting in for the 2 month plan? Sorry to totally hijack this awesome thread with my neuroticism, haha
redface.gif

I guess it depends on person. I feel like I will never be ready for this exam and I began studying in mid May. You should give yourself 3 weeks to a month to do FLs leading up to 09/02.

Hey guys,

Long timer worrier, first time taker. Applying next fall, though. I'm def working for an MD-PhD level score so my dreams of 8 more years of school will be fulfilled :laugh:

I'm using EK textbooks, planning to buy and take all AAMC tests, and doing so much timed practice that my brain learn to operate in 7 minute bursts the rest of my life : )

Started 2 weeks ago, about 1/6 of way through stuff. Just want to give a shout out to all of you. Good luck!

Hi Tatertots :hello:

I am jealous, Tatertots! I would love to take TBR's classroom course, but I am not in California. Is TBR's classroom course as wonderful as it sounds?

I have been trying to force myself to go to the library, too.

My daily internal dialogue is something like:
Superego: "it's time to implement a 'no exceptions' policy: only study at the library -- no excuses, no exceptions"

Id: "Why go to the library? It's easier to just study at home. And anyway, it's time to check SDN."

:bang:

TBR Course is pretty awesome. Some of the instructors are great. 1 is pretty fail. Overall definitely worth it if you are in California. They give out a ton of extra passages in class(like 5 per topic!).

BTW Thats exactly how my internal dialogue sounds every day. The library voice never wins......

So I'm doing some physiology chapters right now in the Kaplan review notes, and I never realized how much of the bio section was stuff I've never even seen before! I didn't realize that the MCAT expected you to pretty much understand basic medicine for the BS section... it's FASCINATING, but I love learning in a lecture format and kind of don't like reading books as my only source of information, so it's going slow. Is anyone else kind of surprised at the level of depth the MCAT expects us to understand, essentially, the foundations of medicine?

Oh, and just to nerd it up a bit, HORMONES ARE SO COOL. Y/Y? :love:

How is everyone's practice /diagnostic scores looking! just took princeton 3 couple days ago and got a 20..not encouraging

2.) Leave smartphone (with email/internet access) at home!
You're willpower is extraordinary :D
10.) Bring hard candy to library and lots of gum
YES! I love Lifesaver Mints.
11) Designate a specific time to use the computer for "down time" activities (SDN, FB, Skype, etc.)
SDN ahead of FB, huh? Glad you have your priorities straight;)
---
One of the strategies I use is to take notes by pen and paper. Then the next day, I review the past days notes. Reviewing is a must, but waiting a day to forget first, is even better.
The first TPR test I took, I got an 18 (P/V/B : 5/5/8); the next Kaplan, I got a 31 (P/V/B: 9/11/11). I am not foolish enough to think that my improvement was that huge that fast. I think TPR is harder than Kaplan.
Did anyone else take Kaplan Practice Test 1? I know the Verbal wasn't similar to AAMC (too detail oriented). Not sure about the other sections.

Hey guys,

Long timer worrier, first time taker. Applying next fall, though. I'm def working for an MD-PhD level score so my dreams of 8 more years of school will be fulfilled :laugh:

Hear! Hear! (for the long-time worrier, first time taker part)

What exactly is an MD-PhD level score?

1 month out? I feel like I want to switch to 9/10/11 Club.

Hear! Hear! (for the long-time worrier, first time taker part)

What exactly is an MD-PhD level score?

Hah, totally forgot about this. Very strongly recommended you get 35+. I think for MSTP ( NIH funded MD/PhD) it's a bit higher, like 37 avg, while non-MSTP are around 35-36 avg.

:laugh:

Same here. Barely broke the elusive 30 on AAMC #4 (10 PS, 12 VR, 9 BS). I am hoping that these last few weeks will be enough to help me get a few more points in the actual thing, especially in sciences.

Nice 12 in verbal! I can't break the 10/11 area in EK but I have only taken one AAMC so far. My TBR tests have been all over the place so I am not even sure what to expect. :scared:

TBR 1- 29 (9 PS, 12 VB, 8 BS)
TBR 2- 31 (12 PS, 9 VB, 10 BS)

About to start TBR 3 but i've heard this is the hardest one so yay! fun times. i don't know about you guys but content review has been going way too slowly for me so i'm just going to take all the tests i can and hope for the best.

So glad this thread is finally up.

Hellooooo fellow Sept 2 takers! :)
Quick but probably dumb question:

I've seen a lot of people write about TBR/TPR/Kaplan practice tests... but where do I get them? :confused:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

TBR 1- 29 (9 PS, 12 VB, 8 BS)
TBR 2- 31 (12 PS, 9 VB, 10 BS)

About to start TBR 3 but i've heard this is the hardest one so yay! fun times. i don't know about you guys but content review has been going way too slowly for me so i'm just going to take all the tests i can and hope for the best.

Good luck! TBR was definitely the hardest one for me out of 1-6.

So glad this thread is finally up.

Hellooooo fellow Sept 2 takers! :)
Quick but probably dumb question:

I've seen a lot of people write about TBR/TPR/Kaplan practice tests... but where do I get them? :confused:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

You can buy the TBR exams on their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html

I got access to them because I took TBR course. I would assume you can buy the Kaplan and TPR exams on their websites too though if you plan on taking a course they usually come with the respective companies exams.

You can buy the TBR exams on their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html

I got access to them because I took TBR course. I would assume you can buy the Kaplan and TPR exams on their websites too though if you plan on taking a course they usually come with the respective companies exams.

Tatertots, are the TBR CBT exams any good? I am running out of practice supplies and was wondering if I should order them. Although I think I might be a little too late considering how slow they are at shipping your orders. :laugh: