The Official 8/5/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthroMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm just getting this club started. This will be my second attempt at the MCAT. Anybody else retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

I know i shouldnt be complaining about a 33, but seriously, i ve never gotten below 35 on a practice

VR 11
PS 12
BS 10

Total: 33O

Average AAMC: 29.6 (Highest: 33)

Did a lot better than expected! im shocked about the verbal - i was averaging 8 on the aamc - shocked about BS - thought that was my strongest section - shocked about physical - expected a 10 - overall - HAPPY!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
phys 11
verb 10
bio 12
writ R

aamc avg 35.8 (highest 37, lowest 33)

I guess I'm one of those people who do worse on the real thing.
On the other hand, I have no clue how I got R in writing, I barely practiced and I'm a horrible writer.

phys 11
verb 10
bio 12
writ R

aamc avg 35.8 (highest 37, lowest 33)

I guess I'm one of those people who do worse on the real thing.
On the other hand, I have no clue how I got R in writing, I barely practiced and I'm a horrible writer.

congrats on the R dude - i thought my essays were pretty damn gud - oh well

Sooo PS was lowest I have ever gotten, so boo hiss on that. BS I have always scored a 10 haha so why would that change? But yay on on verbal!

VR-- 12
PS-- 09
BS-- 10
WS-- P

Overall, I though I had done worse. And its 1 point higher than my averages. But that single digit in PS is going to haunt me, I can just tell!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that the test overall was pretty fair. I had taken one previously that had less org chem that I wasn't fully prepared for, but this one had a standard number of org chem passages. The physical science section wasn't real heavy on lenses and circuitry, which are topics which I struggled with in the past, so I was happy about that too. I think that a lot of how you score on these tests comes down to whether you get material that you're comfortable with. I know a lot of people are complaining about the first passage being difficult, but I honestly don't even remember what that was about. Anyone remember the general topic?

AAMC avgs: PS 11, VR 11.5, BS 12.5, OV 35
MCAT previous: PS 10, VR 11, BS 11, OV 32
MCAT prediction: PS 12, VR 11, BS 12, OV 35

reality: PS 13, VR 12, BS 11, OV 36Q

Happy :)

28...9ps/9v/10bs. My AAMC practice test avg was a 28 so I guess I'm happy lol. Although, I think I may have deleted part of my writing because I got an L :( I'm really worried about that

Hey guys, thought I'd post after enduring this with everyone (even though I've never posted before).
11 PS
10 V
11 BS
Essay: P
Total: 32P

I'm rather bummed cause I was hoping for a 34 at least. Wondering when to retake.
Congrats to everyone out there! And for those retaking, don't give up! :)

Hope everybody likes their scores! I definitely see some great scores... Congrats everyone!

3/27/2010: 24P
VR- 06 PS- 10 BS- 08 WR- P

8/05/2010: 29O
VR- 10 PS- 10 BS-09 WR- O

Breakdown: Did 5 points better. I guess I feel comfortable sending out my AMCAS now, still a little late in the game. I was hoping for a more significant improvement, but I can't complain about 5 points. My target was 32.

VR: Did 4 points better in Verbal, which was the section that killed me in March. I am happy with the increase. I would have liked to seen 11+ ...but it is significant improvement nonetheless.

PS: Stayed the same. Thought I could study physics more and improve but that did not happen, oh well. Satisfied...kinda want to retake now.

BS: One point improvement? I am actually a little disappointed because I really liked this section on the 8/5 test, apart from that now infamous orgo passage. 1 point increase really makes me want to retake.

WR- Dropped by a letter... whatever.

Breakdown:
VR: Did 4 points better in Verbal, which was the section that killed me in March. I am happy with the increase. I would have liked to seen 11+ ...but it is significant improvement nonetheless.

PS: Stayed the same. Thought I could study physics more and improve but that did not happen, oh well. Satisfied...kinda want to retake now.

BS: One point improvement? I am actually a little disappointed because I really liked this section on the 8/5 test, apart from that now infamous orgo passage. 1 point increase really makes me want to retake.

Nice VR improvement!

34S (PS = 13, VR = 10, WS = S, BS = 11).

I suppose it's decent considering I took it after freshmen year, but of course med schools won't care about that part. I my goal eventually is to get a 40 so looks like I'm gonna retake next summer...

As for the score itself my original prediction right after the test was:

PS: 13 -15
VR: 8 - 10
WS: P - R
BS: 11 - 13
Total: 32P - 38R.

So even though my score was in my predicted ranges (expect WS but no one really looks at that anyway) I was expecting higher PS and BS scores.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who's done and good luck to all those retaking (including myself).

Last edited:
Hope everybody likes their scores! I definitely see some great scores... Congrats everyone!

Breakdown: Did 5 points better. I guess I feel comfortable sending out my AMCAS now, still a little late in the game. I was hoping for a more significant improvement, but I can't complain about 5 points. My target was 32.

Great Job!!! I made a low verbal score this time 5:(....I am signed up for the Sept 11 exam...I am not sure if I can improve this score...but I have never made below 8 on any practice exams...This sucks!!!! I already applied to schools this year too!!!

I got a 3 in VR, WTF???:eek: With the other scores, I improved by 3 in PS and 2 in BS. I have never gotten a score this low in VR, got 8 last time....could it be a mistake?? Is it worth a call?

Today was major suck. I dislike waiting. All I have to say is meh. I got the score I needed.

Avg PS 12 VR 9 BS 13 (34)
Pred PS 12 VR 8 BS 12 (32)
Actual PS 11 VR 8 BS 11 (30)
Previous PS 7 VR 8 BS 8 (23)

Onward,

so I was on hold to rescore it foreeverr... and then got disconnected... but looked up online that it costs 110$ for a full rescore!?!

Hi Everyone,

I took the MCAT on 8/5 as well.
I am a non-trad student and non native speaker.

Ave AAMC (8,9,10)
PS 12
VR 7
BS 11

Expected
PS 8-9
VR 5-6
BS 11-12

Actual
PS 11
VR 9
BS 10

30K:)
Although my score is not sky-high, I am so happy!!

I actually planned to take this test last summer but I didn't because I was getting low verbal scores (5-6) on practice tests. That was after months of study.

I was about to give up on my dream because I thought it was impossible to do well on the verbal section. But I was persistent. I started studying again this January, focusing on verbal. My AAMC practice scores were all over from 6 (AAMC 10) to 10 (AAMC 4) but I took the test anyway for the first time.

For anyone who is suffering from low verbal scores now, please don't give up! If you believe in yourself, it can be done.

so I was on hold to rescore it foreeverr... and then got disconnected... but looked up online that it costs 110$ for a full rescore!?!

probably not worth it, I doubt AAMC can make a mistake like that and charge you $110 for a re-score when it is their fault, re-score isn't like it was when they still had the paper version. Since everything is electronic, it should be fairly accurate.

did just as poorly as expected. 23P.... im an URM with a less than average GPA...should I just wait this cycle out and retake the MCAT and apply next year?

9/10/10 M

It's not great but it beats my 20 from the first time I took the MCAT. My writing is really low...do I have a chance? I'm also scribing, doing research, and president of a student group. My gpa is also high. Any opinions?

dang that is pretty expensive...I was thinkin about it as well...but i guess ill just sit for sept 11 exam and hope for the best

I don't think they make the average available, but this is what my score report says as far as percentile range:

VR (10): 67.8 - 83.4
PS (10): 68 - 79.4
WR (O): 40.2 - 52.9
BS (09): 42 - 57.6

Overall: 29O = 68 - 73.7

Hey,

Does anyone know the average score for august 5th test takers?

:):):):):):):):):)

Physical Science - 10
Verbal Reasoning - 14
Biological Sciences - 13
Writing Sample - Q
Total - 37Q

I usually did a lot better in physical sciences and worse in verbal reasoning but I'll take the score!

It's over everyone! Good luck for those who want to retake.

Last edited:

I don't see how it is possible to get a 17 when u scored more than a 30 on all the practice - thats just impossible. Did you take the aaamc ones in one sitting and timed? I would request a rescore.

9/10/10 M

It's not great but it beats my 20 from the first time I took the MCAT. My writing is really low...do I have a chance? I'm also scribing, doing research, and president of a student group. My gpa is also high. Any opinions?

I dont think anyone gives a sht about the writing. But 29 is definitely worth applying, especially if u have a high gpa.

I got a 3 in VR, WTF???:eek: With the other scores, I improved by 3 in PS and 2 in BS. I have never gotten a score this low in VR, got 8 last time....could it be a mistake?? Is it worth a call?

ure english doesnt sound that bad to me

Hi Everyone,
30K:)
Although my score is not sky-high, I am so happy!!

I actually planned to take this test last summer but I didn't because I was getting low verbal scores (5-6) on practice tests. That was after months of study.

I was about to give up on my dream because I thought it was impossible to do well on the verbal section. But I was persistent. I started studying again this January, focusing on verbal. My AAMC practice scores were all over from 6 (AAMC 10) to 10 (AAMC 4) but I took the test anyway for the first time.

For anyone who is suffering from low verbal scores now, please don't give up! If you believe in yourself, it can be done.

BraveBlossom I couldn't agree more and good job. The verbal reasoning section is hard enough for everyone and is particularly difficult if English isn't a person's first language.

I agree. I improved 4 pts in verbal with just a shtload of practice.

I seriously had dreams everyday in which id be reading verbal passages and trying to answer questions - I SWEAR!!! - has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

I seriously had dreams everyday in which id be reading verbal passages and trying to answer questions - I SWEAR!!! - has anyone else experienced this?

Congrats. That is a great accomplishment.

Thanks, Gara and SamuelTesla.

I came to US when I was 21 with limited English skills and started my study from community college.
I suffered for a long long time....

Good job Sam, I improved 4 pts in Verbal as well...definitely proud of myself for hunkering down and doing all of the Examkrackers passages. Some of the tests kicked my ass, but it just takes some getting used to the passages to know what to expect from the real thing. So, if there's anything to show from our experience, a 4+ point boost is certainly achievable.

I didn't have any dreams reading verbal passages but last night I had multiple dreams of logging into the THx website and getting terrible scores. I woke up so depressed...and it was gloomy and raining outside.

It's just $55 to have only the multiple-choice section rescored.

Another $55 for the writing section, if you want it. Total is $110 for the entire test. But you can select both or either.

Just rescore the multiple choice only and pay $55. I had mine done. No change in score. So don't think rescoring is worth it.

Just rescore the multiple choice only and pay $55. I had mine done. No change in score. So don't think rescoring is worth it.

Yeah I really don't see how they could have made a mistake. It's all done through computers and not even scantron. If the computer made a mistake they won't be able to see it.

Has anyone ever heard of a re-score doing any good? :confused: