The Official 8/17/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all dread this date together! :scared:

How/when are you guys studying? (i.e. SN2ed, Kaplan, TBR)

EDIT: I'm attaching simple charts I made to keep track of my progress for each set of passages for the SN2ed schedule. Its helpful to monitor how you are progressing and will show you what areas to work on. ENJOY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Physics Passage Scores.doc
    79 KB · Views: 254
  • Biology Passage Scores.doc
    73 KB · Views: 145
  • Organic Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    67 KB · Views: 120
  • Verbal Reasoning.doc
    143 KB · Views: 110
  • General Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
27N... (12PS, 8V, 7BS )

i am so angry right now....BS screwed me just as i predicted....i was averaging 10-11 on all my AAMC's...now i have everything riding on my 9/6 scores....

is it tru that the cap on MCAT's allowed alltogether is 3? or just 3 a year? will med schools start looking down on u if u take the test more than 3 times?

It's 3 times per year, and that's the AAMC's rule so it's impossible to take more than 3 per year since they won't let you sign up for another exam that year after your third one (also keep in mind that voided exams still count). Even if your 9/6 scores don't turn out well though you'd get 3 more chances next year. Personally though I'd be cautious about taking it more than three times within a 3 year span. I don't know if it'll actually hurt you or not, but it definitely won't help.

BS 10/ PS 11/ VR 12/ WR O
Overall: 33O :(

Should I retake?

With a 3.84 overall and 3.7 BCMP, do I have a chance at the top 10? Or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks!

It's probably too low for top 10s unless you have amazing ECs and/or are URM. However, it should be high enough for anywhere else. On top of that, it's a balanced score and you didn't get less than 10 in any section, so you're golden. You'd be crazy to retake that. Just because the top 10 schools are probably too much of a reach is not even a remotely good reason for retaking the MCAT.

Hi everyone. I wrote the MCAT on the same day as everybody here and although I kept tabs on it throughout my summer of studying I never created a profile until today.

Just wanted to share that it kept me laughing and studying all summer and it was nice to have a whole group of people with the same fears as I had.

THANKS!!!

I ended up getting a 39R: 13PS, 11VR, 15BS

Members don't see this ad :)
PS 11/ VR 13/ BS 11/ Writing... M

I'm pleased with my score, but I'm kind of embarrassed about my writing score. It's no big deal, right? Reassure me, SDN!

Congratulations to everyone, by the way.
Except you Mr. Castle... Everyone hates you and your 39. :)

Last edited:
PS 11/ VR 13/ BS 11/ Writing... M

I'm pleased with my score, but I'm kind of embarrassed about my writing score. It's no big deal, right? Reassure me, SDN!

Congratulations to everyone, by the way.
Except you Mr. Castle... Everyone hates you and your 39. :)

It's no big deal. This is coming from someone with an S. Sadly all my S entitles me to is minor bragging rights and a redemption for the 6 I got on the SAT writing section (and my 39 redeems my 1220...seriously, **** the SAT).

33R! (PS 11/ VR 10/ BS 12)

Definitely thought I bombed the bio section coming out of that... and I was consistently getting 9's in verbal in AAMC 8-11 so I'm really happy with it.

Now onto applications... (I'm from Canada)

Congrats everyone!

Is there any point in applying to top-tier schools with a 32M?

Why not? :) Dare to dream.

I'm wondering if you guys know which schools take composite scores. I know Georgetown and Tufts do it. Are there any others? I've seen threads about this but all of them seem to be from 2008.

Thanks in advance!!! :D

PS : 12
VR : 11
BS : 9
Total: 32R

I am pretty happy with the overall score. Just a little down about the bio even though I knew I tanked it. Should I retake it with a 9?

Do you think you're going to retake? I'm kind of in the same boat 32(11, 9, 12). Is retaking next summer worth it for me? I have a 4.0 (not finished with undergrad though) and I know I can get 34+. But if I retake next summer that would push my application cycle back one year and I'd end up taking a gap year. I would possibly end up with a better MCAT score and I'd definitely end up with much better ECs. My ECs are nothing special right now.

What does everyone think?

Do you think you're going to retake? I'm kind of in the same boat 32(11, 9, 12). Is retaking next summer worth it for me? I have a 4.0 (not finished with undergrad though) and I know I can get 34+. But if I retake next summer that would push my application cycle back one year and I'd end up taking a gap year. I would possibly end up with a better MCAT score and I'd definitely end up with much better ECs. My ECs are nothing special right now.

If you want to get into a top school, a 32 and no eyecatching ECs is not going to cut it, so if you absolutely must get into Johns Hopkins then you have no choice but to take a gap year.

But I think the important question here is why do you want to go to a top school so badly? As long as you have a decent amount of clinical experience and shadowing you'll be able to get into a good school with a 4.0 and 32. It's not like going to Harvard is going to open up doors to better jobs that would otherwise be closed; all med schools are really on about the same level, unless you want to do research in which case it does actually matter.

Honestly, depending on how bad your ECs are that would actually be a much bigger problem than your 32.

If you want to get into a top school, a 32 and no eyecatching ECs is not going to cut it, so if you absolutely must get into Johns Hopkins then you have no choice but to take a gap year.

But I think the important question here is why do you want to go to a top school so badly? As long as you have a decent amount of clinical experience and shadowing you'll be able to get into a good school with a 4.0 and 32. It's not like going to Harvard is going to open up doors to better jobs that would otherwise be closed; all med schools are really on about the same level, unless you want to do research in which case it does actually matter.

Honestly, depending on how bad your ECs are that would actually be a much bigger problem than your 32.

Agreed. I'm stoked about my 32! Honestly, studying for the MCAT got me pretty jaded about going into medicine. I'd rather save my energy for medical school.

Well-stated

Thanks so much for your response! I just feel like I'm settling when I know I can do better. But I guess that's how it will always be to some degree. I don't have terrible ECs, just nothing spectacular. I don't think I'm going to bother retaking. There is too much of a risk of not improving.

Thanks so much for your response! I just feel like I'm settling when I know I can do better. But I guess that's how it will always be to some degree. I don't have terrible ECs, just nothing spectacular. I don't think I'm going to bother retaking. There is too much of a risk of not improving.

Settling for a mid-rank school that can send you off to almost any strong academic programs in the ACGME match is not settling, it's thriving.

Losing 1 year of physician pay in the dreams of going to top-tier when even then it's a crap shoot is definitely nor worth a retake. Go to a mid-tier school and enjoy life. If anything that 1 year of pay could pay for your entire medical school education.

I took the exam on this day and my scores were nowhere close to where they need to be. So I am retaking in January and I am going to using the SNed MCAT Schedule! Seems like a lot of people have good luck with this schedule. With the score I got the only place I can go is up HOPEFULLY!!
Congrats to everyone that broke 30+++ hopefully that will be in February!!

I took the exam on this day and my scores were nowhere close to where they need to be. So I am retaking in January and I am going to using the SNed MCAT Schedule! Seems like a lot of people have good luck with this schedule. With the score I got the only place I can go is up HOPEFULLY!!
Congrats to everyone that broke 30+++ hopefully that will be in February!!

My best advice is take as many practice tests as possible. I averaged 1 every 4 days during my 60 day study period. That, and keep a separate notebook with every question for BS and PS that you got wrong, why you got it wrong, and briefly in a different color the important thing to remember for next time.

Many of you on here are at a risk for suicide in the future. You can attend the top school in the world and be the worst physician that has ever existed. Getting a top match for residency is based on your USMLE step 1 scores. You can attend any medical school and get a top score even a school in the Caribbean. Control your expectations, just give it your best and be satisfied with it. A 33 is not the end of the world. Retaking the MCAT with a 33 is a waste of time unless you plan on getting a 40+ the next time you take it. When looking at scores (38,33, 36, 34) These are all ranked the same, the difference at this point is the interview, your character, personality, mental stability, experience in the medical field. If you have a 40+ then you are standing out above the rest. Ask yourself, how many applicants have a 40 or higher? 2%? 8%? .3% ..c'mon folks relax and take it easy