The Official 7/28/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouNeverKnow22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys :D

Members don't see this ad.

I was getting approximately 32-34 on practices.
Usually, I rock the BS and fail at the PS....but on the real test, PS was a piece of cake whereas Bio made me go "wtf mate?"

cool, you and JillEbean give me hope. My target score is about 1.5 points above my average.

If you take an average, you were exactly right! Great guess! No, this was my first MCAT. I took the OAT last November though.

That's right. I looked at the PM from July and my question was about your GS practice scores and how comparable it was to the real mcat. lol.

So a month later, you get your scores.

Makes sense now. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that your average on practice? or is it significantly lower?

Practice AAMC scores were the following, in the order taken:

I honestly can't remember which test was which except the first was AAMC3 and the last was AAMC 11. When it came time to take the real test I turned into a blubbering idiot and felt like I couldn't remember ANYTHING. I was a giant ball of nerves. I literally guessed on most of the test so I am satisfied with the turnout.

41P!!!!!

VR - 13
PS - 13
BS - 15

I took all the AAMC practice exams during the few weeks before the real test. My range was 35-38, with my avg just below 37. I am still so shocked that I did this well!!!!!

29 Q.

7 VR
11 PS
11 BS

F U VR!!! Arrrghhhh.... but I'm sort of ecstatic because I got a 25 P last time (6 on VR) and now have confidence I will at least have a chance getting into every school I've applied to except maybe University of Florida (first choice, :-/) and Tulane.

but aren't low VR scores a red flag?

kind of. anything below an 8 in any section is a red flag. your overall score isn't bad though.

If i indicated on my current app that I was retaking, what do I have to do to ensure that my scores are sent to all my schools? I've been verified for a couple months now. Do I resubmit?

I already had the scores sent to AACOMAS but do I need to do anything else there?

41P!!!!!

VR - 13
PS - 13
BS - 15

I took all the AAMC practice exams during the few weeks before the real test. My range was 35-38, with my avg just below 37. I am still so shocked that I did this well!!!!!

yeah, it's kind of ridiculous how variable scores can be when you're in the high 30s. each question literally becomes a whole point. congrats on the super high score!

41P!!!!!

VR - 13
PS - 13
BS - 15

Get out of here, you are not shocked at your score. lol.

kidding of course. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
36 S!!! I'm smitten as a kitten in a mitten!

12 PS (have no idea how... felt like I was guessing the whole time and had to leave a couple blank)

13 VR

11 BS

Hit my end-of-prep practice average right on the nose - I got a 37 and a 35 on my final two practice AAMC FL's.

36 S!!! I'm smitten as a kitten in a mitten!

12 PS (have no idea how... felt like I was guessing the whole time and had to leave a couple blank)

13 VR

11 BS

Hit my end-of-prep practice average right on the nose - I got a 37 and a 35 on my final two practice AAMC FL's.

Yeah, yeah, you won't shut up in FB about it. :D

Holy shiz!! I am already guaranteed admissions so I didn't study for a single minute! Didn't take a single practice test or anything! Completely shocked by these scores.

Verbal Reasoning (VR): 10
Physical Sciences (PS): 06
Writing Sample (WS): S
Biological Sciences (BS): 10
Total Score: 26S

11/10/10. I should've voided but can't change the past. :( Is anyone else retaking?

lolwut?

Why are so disappointed in that? A solid and well balanced score. Unless your practice average was in the very high 30s to low 40s, I wouldn't retake it.

34P!

10 VR
12 BS
12 PS
P WS

Slightly disappointed here since it means I'll be ineligible for a school I thought I'd be able to apply for with a high 30's score, but that's what you get when you don't do any full length tests.

PS...only off from my 1st time score (4 years ago) by 1 pt. How's that for reliability?

11/10/10. I should've voided but can't change the past. :( Is anyone else retaking?

Are you aiming for Top 20?

I scored a couple points lower than my average VR and a point below my average PS but that would have only given me a 33 vs. a 30. I might retake in January or April, especially if I don't get interviews.

34P!

10 VR
12 BS
12 PS
P WS

Slightly disappointed here since it means I'll be ineligible for a school I thought I'd be able to apply for with a high 30's score, but that's what you get when you don't do any full length tests.

PS...only off from my 1st time score (4 years ago) by 1 pt. How's that for reliability?

A 34 is still reasonably competitive at HMS/WashU/WhateverU. You just need your GPA/ECs to be just a little better.

Not much higher, 34. I'm not aiming for any top schools, just my state schools. I still have a year before applications though and I'm pretty sure 31 isn't the best I can do.

Unless you live in Cali, a 31 is still reasonably competitive for most state schools. Of course, you have another year to study, and if you feel like it'll be worth the risk/time/effort (and you have good reason to believe that you will score higher), there's really nothing stopping you from a retake.

41P!!!!!

VR - 13
PS - 13
BS - 15

You frickin' ROCK!!! Congratulations on the best score humanly possible!!!!

11VR
14PS
N WR
11 BS

36N

My BS score is 2 pts lower than my usual average on AAMC FLs, but I'm not complaining :):)

Hey guys, just for the stats, my average practice test and actual test day were right on... though distributions were very different!

34R

PS 9
VR 10
BS 15

First time 4/16: 9 VR , 11PS, 11BS (31M)
I was averaging about a 33-34 on AAMC FLs so I was a bit disappointed and decided to retake

Got Berkeley Review going and worked hard on the verbal

Second time 7/28: 11 VR, 13 PS, 11BS (35O)

This time around I was averaging around a 37-38 on AAMC FLs so I was expecting a bit better but I will definitely be ok with this score.

Feels good to have that relief.

verbal-7
biological sciences-10
physical sciences-13

30O

I feel kinda stupid for retaking it a week ago, I only did it because i knew verbal would be bad, i doubt i did as well in ps the second time. I'll probably still apply though regardless. 7 is pretty poor.

1st FL - 24
AAMCAS FL 3 - 28
AAMCAS FL 4 - 34

Actual - PS - 11, BS- 12, VR- 09 WS - P = 32P

I thought I did much worse. But still, I'm pretty sure I'm retaking in January (low GPA - 3.64 and average ECs will make getting in this cycle difficult).

12/10/14->36O

I was scoring a little better on the FLs I was taking the few weeks before the test, but considering I left the test feeling like I scored a 5 on verbal, I am very happy :D

1st FL - 24
AAMCAS FL 3 - 28
AAMCAS FL 4 - 34

Actual - PS - 11, BS- 12, VR- 09 WS - P = 32P

I thought I did much worse. But still, I'm pretty sure I'm retaking in January (low GPA - 3.64 and average ECs will make getting in this cycle difficult).

Please, do not retake the test. 3.64 isn't a low GPA at all, and your MCAT is totally fine for medical school.

If you think your ECs are lacking, do more of them. But don't retake a 32 MCAT.

11/8/9 : 28M

:bang: Damn bio, I wasted so much time at the beginning thinking the 2nd half would be just as easy....then ran out of time. ****

Anyone else retaking it in January?

10/10/10 ...30P.

This was a lot better than I expected. I was pretty much set on forgetting about applying this year and trying again next year because I thought I bombed it. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA in Finance but I got a 4.0 in my sciences after I started taking my prereq's after graduating. That brought my GPA up to about a 3.4. Should I apply this cycle? Do you think I can get into Wake Forest, or UNC? Perhaps UT in Houston?

10/10/10 ...30P.

This was a lot better than I expected. I was pretty much set on forgetting about applying this year and trying again next year because I thought I bombed it. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA in Finance but I got a 4.0 in my sciences after I started taking my prereq's after graduating. That brought my GPA up to about a 3.4. Should I apply this cycle? Do you think I can get into Wake Forest, or UNC? Perhaps UT in Houston?

If you're a Texas resident, probably, assuming your EC's, PS and interviews are good.

Well I held off on joining these forums until now...

31R
PS:10 VR:10 BS:11

First time taking the MCAT. Pretty happy considering I haven't had biology since 9th grade in high school :eek:

Last edited:
wow. congrats to all of you, especially those who have taken the test on multiple occassions and improved vastly on their retakes. it seems like re-takes are becoming a common thing now. as a re-taker myself (8/19), it's refreshing to hear all these success stories and it gives me hope as well.

i have a question for re-takers. it might be difficult to answer, but how did your aamc practice test average on the re-take measure with your score on the real test for the retake? i dont know if re-taking the practice test skews your average score or not, i guess it depends. but maybe we can find a correlation somewhere. i'd be interested to know.

congrats to everyone who rocked this test!! and especially to whatsupdoc for the amazing improvement! :thumbup:

If this test was a retake, and my AMCAS and AACOMAS were already verified, what do I have to do to make sure my schools receive my new score?

If this test was a retake, and my AMCAS and AACOMAS were already verified, what do I have to do to make sure my schools receive my new score?

As long as you released the scores to AACOMAS via THx, and indicated on the AACOMAS application that you have planed to retake the MCAT on said date, then they should automatically update. Once that happens (give or take a few days for processing), then a revised version of your application should be re-released to the schools. Schools usually know of planned retakes from your application.

For AMCAS, I believe the scores are already tied to THx, so a similar fashion occurs above.

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I believe that's what happens.

25O
PS=7
BS=10
VR=8

Pretty disappointed. I'll probably retake. I only used kaplan for the last test. This time I'll actually use AAMC exams and try and take more than two the couple days before the exam. I also only used the kaplan book which I am now learning is not the best. So I'll be restructuring my study habits and retaking late this year.
Not good enough for med school but not too bad considering I work 50+ hours a week have two kids and have not been in a classroom in almost a decade. Always trying to look at the bright side...

25O
PS=7
BS=10
VR=8

Pretty disappointed. I'll probably retake. I only used kaplan for the last test. This time I'll actually use AAMC exams and try and take more than two the couple days before the exam. I also only used the kaplan book which I am now learning is not the best. So I'll be restructuring my study habits and retaking late this year.
Not good enough for med school but not too bad considering I work 50+ hours a week have two kids and have not been in a classroom in almost a decade. Always trying to look at the bright side...

I'm not the only one that would say this nor am I sure that you are hearing this for the first time but....

If you want to bring that PS section up use The Berkeley Review books. I started out with PS being my worst section and through focusing on TBR books I brought it up to a 12!!!

I can almost guarantee you that TBR books combined with EK 101 will give you a 30+ given that you are willing to put in the time. Don't get discouraged or give up, there are many people who have taken the MCAT 2,3 even 4 times before getting their desired scores.