The Official 7/16/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msr25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a club for this date yet. Good luck to those studying for this exam date! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Just registered last night. It's crazy how fast testing center dwindle down. When I had looked last week there were 4 testing centers in NJ still available. Last night there was only 1 center left in NJ. Good luck.

yay! moral support for this day.

Yes, i hate that. I'm a serial changer of MCAT dates, and I swear every day the availability for each date changes.

good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the May 7th test and felt horrible afterward. I really hope I don't have to retake it on this date. :(

Does anyone want or know anyone that wants MCAT books? I have A LOT. Princeton, Kaplan, Berkeley. Mostly unmarked. Will sell them very cheap. I also have audio osmosis. Please PM if interested.

hey guys, in desparate need of july test date. Im leaving for a trip and didnt realize that I needed to book so far in advance! Ive been studying since february and am more than ready to write.
I am willing to pay $/ MCAT books and exams for the switch! why not study a little longer and get a better score!!

I am signed up for this date. This is exactly to the day one year after my last attempt so hopefully I didn't forget everything...

Does anyone know if there are any newer books that are essential for me to acquire? I am for sure getting the new version of the Princeton Review Verbal because the copy I have still refers to the hand written version of the exam. (2007)

The Berk General Chemistry is UH-MAZING, seriously, long and frustrating, but i virtually get nothing wrong on gen.chem :D, their passages in every subject really prepare you for the MCAT. It's like P90X for your brain.

EK verbal 101 is good too.

how's everyone's studying going? good luck! :luck:

and i hope the people who want to change to this date don't have to!

Hmm ok I picked up all the Princeton Review books because they were cheaper on Amazon but I will prob get that BR GC book as well now.

Studying with Kaplan. So far so good. Classes just ended yesterday. I wanted to take a week off to relax but I feel now that I dont' have that luxury... and to think I thought I was going to have time for the 6/16 exam.

Yeah, I thought i could study for the march 26th mcat with school, didn't happen. I don't know how people do that.

I'm having a terrible time focusing :(.

I was scheduled for June 16th but decided to change to this date since I'm working 60hrs/week. Have fallen behind. I am using TBR and have 12 more chapters to cover for content review.

Any TBR users here?

Good luck folks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Signed up for this date as well. I am really nervous that this date might be too late to be complete at a reasonable time, but I'm pushing back and I think I need the extra time to study. What do you guys think? Are you all applying for Fall 2012?

Okay, OFFICIALLY signed up for this date! Retaking it from March 26th. I originally wanted to do June 16th but it was full, and then July 6th but that got full as well. Still might push up to July 6th, but I think I'm with you guys for a while!

On my end, just started content review again. It's still fresh in my mind though, thank God. My big downfall is PS, so I ordered BR for physics and gchem. We'll see how it goes!

Signed up for this date as well. I am really nervous that this date might be too late to be complete at a reasonable time, but I'm pushing back and I think I need the extra time to study. What do you guys think? Are you all applying for Fall 2012?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. However, keep in mind that on SDN, June 5th is considered late. LOL I guess if we get everything else in order then we should be complete by the time our test results are in.

I tried switching from 6/16 to 7/6 but no luck.

I've been wondering about the application process as well. Are you guys sending in your first half at least (the primary?) ? I feel like I need to do well on this test for med schools to give me a little "oomph", so I kinda want to send in my app with my score, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

studying with TPR, BR, EK 1001.
I'm really terrible with physics, but I've been doing every other EK1001 question and then reinforcing with TPR content and then BR passages. Seems to be working well.

How is everyone else studying?

Looking for a seat for this date in Winnipeg, Canada. Please PM me if you are planning to switch seats :)

hey guys, in desparate need of july test date. Im leaving for a trip and didnt realize that I needed to book so far in advance! Ive been studying since february and am more than ready to write.
I am willing to pay $/ MCAT books and exams for the switch! why not study a little longer and get a better score!!

i think there are some available dates in july!! check the aamc website.

Hey everyone im officially signed up. This is a retake for me as i got my score back today and my verbal was terrible.

ahh, i'm falling off schedule. TV is a slippery slope. I need a cave.
taking my first AAMC this Saturday :xf:

I am flying all the way out to Vegas (no seats in FL) and living with my grandparents for a week while taking the exam of course. I am signed up to take it in 2 days but I am not ready so I am just going to go in and get a sense of the testing environment and void the exam. Expensive I know but I would rather push back applications a year with an amazing score than wish on rainbows and butterflies that medical schools will give me a chance.

For anyone looking to follow SND2ed's approach but you only have Princeton books w/ hyperlearning practice questions and passages here is a study guide I made (Even named it after my favorite workouts). Those of you just starting it will have to cram in a bit more but it is def. do able. Lets do this!View attachment M60X.xlsx

Woo. Just took EK Verbal 2, scored a 10. I'm happy considering that I got a 10 and I didn't even get to do the last passage. Guessed on all as the timer ran out just as I got done reading. Only got 1 right during in that section, which wouldn't have dropped me to a 9 anyways.

Used the passage mapping technique from Kaplan for the first time. I do remember thinking around passage 3 that it consumed a little time but I actually like it. My problem with verbal has been that I tend to zone out in the middle of passages or towards the end of the verbal section. I think mapping makes me more of an active reader unknowingly and keeps me engaged the full 60 minutes. Hopefully I can get my timing better though so that I'll be able to finish the section.

Woo. Just took EK Verbal 2, scored a 10. I'm happy considering that I got a 10 and I didn't even get to do the last passage. Guessed on all as the timer ran out just as I got done reading. Only got 1 right during in that section, which wouldn't have dropped me to a 9 anyways.

Used the passage mapping technique from Kaplan for the first time. I do remember thinking around passage 3 that it consumed a little time but I actually like it. My problem with verbal has been that I tend to zone out in the middle of passages or towards the end of the verbal section. I think mapping makes me more of an active reader unknowingly and keeps me engaged the full 60 minutes. Hopefully I can get my timing better though so that I'll be able to finish the section.

Just remember that verbal on the real thing is much more dense and longer than any EK passage. Passage mapping might not be the best idea, since you already are running out of time. To finish on time on a real MCAT verbal section, I would try finishing 3-5 minutes early on an EK section.

Just remember that verbal on the real thing is much more dense and longer than any EK passage. Passage mapping might not be the best idea, since you already are running out of time. To finish on time on a real MCAT verbal section, I would try finishing 3-5 minutes early on an EK section.

Definitely. I'm hoping to actually average 7 minutes per passage while maintaining my score on practice tests before going into the exam. And wth, I though EK was the most representative of MCAT verbal?? Yet they still aren't spot on? I think SDN should just make their own MCAT prep materials from our input. :thumbup:

Definitely. I'm hoping to actually average 7 minutes per passage while maintaining my score on practice tests before going into the exam. And wth, I though EK was the most representative of MCAT verbal?? Yet they still aren't spot on? I think SDN should just make their own MCAT prep materials from our input. :thumbup:

i have the same problem with focus, i think i found that pretending to be a critic of the writing helped me. I also scoured sdn for great strategies and it seems you guys are right, practicing with harsher conditions is worthwhile.

but question, can one improve from say 10 in a bout a month and a half?

I love that I THOUGHT there were two "official" 7/16 threads. However, the 2010 was bumped up and totally threw me.

Last edited:
I have one more final to take and then I can focus back on MCAT...geez, I hope I didn't forget all the content review I did throughout the semester! What's everyone else up to?

ahhh officially signed up for this date today (lucked out seriously since I'm in CA). I took the May 20th MCAT but felt not so stellar so I'm going to keep studying just in case i have to retake. sigh

Wohoo!!!! July 16th! Still working through content review, while doing topical passages after each subject. I am doing Kaplan Summer Intensive that ends June 25th and will do practice tests everyday after until Test Day!!

Hey, i just joined these forums. I'm really not holding up well for the mcat studying. I haven't been able to focus so i wanted to see what everyone was doing. I started studying last week, but I had to push everything to this week. And no, I have no other committments. What should I do stay consistently motivated rather than have my mood fluctuated every other day?

Is anyone taking this at the Newport News, VA testing date that is considering switching? I just became eligible for the FAP, and couldn't register until that came through and all the july 16th dates are taken. Thanks

Hey, i just joined these forums. I'm really not holding up well for the mcat studying. I haven't been able to focus so i wanted to see what everyone was doing. I started studying last week, but I had to push everything to this week. And no, I have no other committments. What should I do stay consistently motivated rather than have my mood fluctuated every other day?

Do everything the same... every day. Wake up the same time, study for roughly the same amount of time, and make sure to alot yourself free time as well. It's all about building consistency.

As a kick in the butt... think about how stressful it is now and knowing how much you have to study... then realize that if you don't get in gear you'll be doing this all over again since you'll have to retake.

As a bigger kick in the butt... realize you aren't going to medical school without doing well on this exam.:eek: Shape up, it happens to all of us.

I have the same issue and also get addicted to tv shows (modern family!) online, or anything use self control.

it's amazzingg :love:

Last edited:
hey, so i've been looking at the aamc yearly statistics for the MCAT and I had a question

when you read the chart it says "Scaled score / Percent achieving score/ percentile rank range.

what does the percentile rank range mean?

Example: 30 / 5% / 74-79%

so does that mean in order to get a 30 on the MCAT, you need to get at least 74% of the questions right? And only 5% of students got that score? I know this changes every year, but I was just wondering what exactly does percentile rank range means. thanks!

Last edited:
hey, so i've been looking at the aamc yearly statistics for the MCAT and I had a question

when you read the chart it says "Scaled score / Percent achieving score/ percentile rank range.

so does that mean in order to get a 30 on the MCAT, you need to get at least 74% of the questions right? I know this changes every year, but I was just wondering what exactly does percentile rank range means. thanks!

so does that mean in order to get a 30 on the MCAT, you need to get at least 74% of the questions right? I know this changes every year, but I was just wondering what exactly does percentile rank range means. thanks!

Percentile rank means you score that much above everyone else. So for example, your percentile rank is 74% with a 30, that means your score was greater than the score 74% of people got on that test day

Wow this thread is awfully quiet!

How's everyone doing? I'm almost done with content review and am gonna be doing even more passages and tests starting soon. It's kind of nerve wracking thinking that if we don't do well on this, we're not going to med school this year :(

Anyone submit their primary app?

Do everything the same... every day. Wake up the same time, study for roughly the same amount of time, and make sure to alot yourself free time as well. It's all about building consistency.

As a kick in the butt... think about how stressful it is now and knowing how much you have to study... then realize that if you don't get in gear you'll be doing this all over again since you'll have to retake.

As a bigger kick in the butt... realize you aren't going to medical school without doing well on this exam.:eek: Shape up, it happens to all of us.
Good motivation right thurr

Wow this thread is awfully quiet!

How's everyone doing? I'm almost done with content review and am gonna be doing even more passages and tests starting soon. It's kind of nerve wracking thinking that if we don't do well on this, we're not going to med school this year :(

Anyone submit their primary app?

Yea it's pretty quiet in here. I'm getting nervous now, only a month left. I feel like I don't have enough time. About 2/3 done with content review but I realized after looking over something I got wrong on a FL the other day that I'm going to need to go over problem areas again.

I saw a couple people in the 30+ thread say that they took notes while they were doing content review the first time :( I should have done that first time around. Hopefully I still have time to go through it.

Didn't submit my primary yet. Did you finish yours?