The "Official" 6/17/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I realize this test date has not been opened yet but I hope to take it for a third time around then! Looking forward to other June test takers. Feels a bit like deja vu having started the 5/1/2009 MCAT Club =)

Hopefully third time is the charm!!

The cycle has been rough for me so I am hoping I have better luck next cycle. If any of you are curious about my last cycle feel free to check out my blog that contains plenty of my rants about my previous cycle. =)

I hope to see a lot of you active on here soon. I plan to start studying very soon! (hopefully next weekend?) until then I am going to create a study plan and course of action!!

I am really excited to meet you future June test takers and I really hope we can all support each other =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just switched my date to June 17, from May 22. I'm definitely not ready for the PS portion of this test and I definitely need to review the bio and make sure I'm solid on that. I signed up for the Kaplan course but I found that their Physics and Gen Chem books SUCK!!!! However, their Bio book is good and i haven't opened the OChem book yet because I'm just a beast in organic so I can't really comment on that. However, I also got the EK Package but I find the Physics to be more of a "brush up" for people who just are ballers in physics...which just isn't me. If I get the Berkeley Review for Physics and Gen Chem you guys think I'll have enough time to go through them before the beginning of June (AAMC Prac Tests :) lol)

Just took Princeton CBT 4 12/10/12

34!

Only 20% through the Berkley Review Content Review. Feeling Really Good about this. I need to start concentrating on Verbal, kind of just ignored that.

That's pretty ridiculous that you got a 34 on a practice test and you still have over 2 months to study. Btw, I'm pre-med junior at UF, do we know each other? Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)

34!

Only 20% through the Berkley Review Content Review. Feeling Really Good about this. I need to start concentrating on Verbal, kind of just ignored that.

Nice!!! That's an awesome score to have with so much still time to spare :D Congrats!

That's pretty ridiculous that you got a 34 on a practice test and you still have over 2 months to study. Btw, I'm pre-med junior at UF, do we know each other? Haha.

Probably not, I'm a 5th year- but then again who knows?

And In all fairness this is my second time taking the MCAT first time resulted in a 31. And I only took AAMC practice tests which my average was a 33. Which I do not recommend doing, the real test is harder than the AAMC prac CBTs.

Even though it wasn't solicited here it is:
If you want to score between a 30-32 do EK with the 1001 Q and take the AAMC Practice tests.

For a 34+
Review EK, get through it and try to understand the concepts. don't waste time on the 1001. Take a couple of practice tests. Then, do Berkley Review and take a practice test every week until you finish up content.

I'm speaking in general here, everyone has a friend who studied for a couple of weeks and got a 37 or something.

I've completed all of the AAMC and Princeton Review full lengths (this is my 3rd attempt)..
Does anyone know which are better/which are more similar to AAMC exams- Berkeley Review CBTs or Gold Standard CBTs?

Thanks

lol...thats just to pep myself up...im taking my second MCAT test on June 17th, will ye folks out there!
my first one was a real bummer! got 29--lower than the avg of my practice tests...verbal screwed me up to the core; bio kicked my butt little bit!

now i am trying again, with rejuvenated mind...lets see how this one goes.

wish you all, the very best!!!
Let us kill this beast!!!!!!!!!

cheers
trinka

34!

i just wanna point out that is a realllllly good score, cuz the PR tests are always testing random facts and not to mention the verbal is pretty damn hard...congrats

I've completed all of the AAMC and Princeton Review full lengths (this is my 3rd attempt)..
Does anyone know which are better/which are more similar to AAMC exams- Berkeley Review CBTs or Gold Standard CBTs?

Thanks

Gold Standard sucks waste of money. Not worth the $150 that it costs, but you can get it for $60 off of Ebay. Worth $60.

I ordered TBR books, except Bio, but which practice tests would you recommend?

I took all the AAMC my first go around, they are great but I feel like they won't prep you for the MCAT. The content is just a bit easier. But I do think they are the best indicator of your score.

Princeton Review is pretty good. I hate GS I took a couple of those (January-February) just to keep things fresh. OK practice, but I'd say a horrible example of the actual MCAT, great because they are cheap. I hear great things about TBR and I plan to buy some of their exams. And I got mixed feelings about Kaplan. I think they stress too much memorization and not enough concepts. I had a couple of friends who just got burned out with their tests and prep materials. I also took 1 EK test that came with the study materials, very authentic to the MCAT down to how I think the MCAT is usually curved.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just wanna point out that is a realllllly good score, cuz the PR tests are always testing random facts and not to mention the verbal is pretty damn hard...congrats

Thanks, while I do love Kobe, I'm all about Wade. Hope the Lakers beat the cavs in the championships.

lol...thats just to pep myself up...im taking my second MCAT test on June 17th, will ye folks out there!
my first one was a real bummer! got 29--lower than the avg of my practice tests...verbal screwed me up to the core; bio kicked my butt little bit!

now i am trying again, with rejuvenated mind...lets see how this one goes.

wish you all, the very best!!!
Let us kill this beast!!!!!!!!!

cheers
trinka

Good luck to you too!! :) I'm also a re-taker, and now it's all about the practice. We know what the test entails having already taken it, so as long as we maintain a positive attitude and keep at it I think we can totally kill this beast! :D That includes everyone, first timers and re-takers both - it's all in the attitude and consistency!!
My mom always tells me, quantity will eventually translate into quality with tests like this, so we just need to keep at it :)

Hello fellow friends, I'm officially registered for this date! I'm finished with content review, but am now officially practicing problems (wish I had while I reviewed, but no worries!) I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me answer....

I've just started the Kaplan Online (Topicals and Sectionals) material and these tests are insanely crazy, I avg about 50-60% correct, but anybody else using these? I've searched the past threads for other peers results on this, but nothing really sticks out except its hard and good practice....

Also I'm using the PR Workbook and I must say, it's excellent! Not as hard as Kaplan (to me) but great practice

Lastly, I also have the BR books, but I will only use these a month before my exam, if needed for additional practice.... Any other suggestions or tips?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!! Good luck to everybody taking the exam on this date, best wishes!!

p.s. GO LAKERS!! Kobe=4 (hopefully +1 after this season) Lebron=0

To me it seemed like Kaplan was a big waste of time. They bombard you with the over emphasis of memorization, NOT real critical thinking. Chances are you are missing questions that are heavily calculation based/do you this tiny little detail? I would give anything to have the BR books right now. I would use those as my primary resource instead of Kaplan, and only use Kaplan as a supplement. Maybe this is just my opinion.

I've just started the Kaplan Online (Topicals and Sectionals) material and these tests are insanely crazy, I avg about 50-60% correct, but anybody else using these? I've searched the past threads for other peers results on this, but nothing really sticks out except its hard and good practice....

Also I'm using the PR Workbook and I must say, it's excellent! Not as hard as Kaplan (to me) but great practice

Lastly, I also have the BR books, but I will only use these a month before my exam, if needed for additional practice.... Any other suggestions or tips?

p.s. GO LAKERS!! Kobe=4 (hopefully +1 after this season) Lebron=0

Sounds like we're on a very similiar study schedule.

I have my buddy's old Kaplan class stuff. I gave it a shoot and it's good practice. I'm just going to stick with TBR to keep things simple. I think it's easy to have TOO much practice material.

Are you planning on completing all the TBR Books in a month or just for fine tuning? I'm spreading the TBR passages because there are too many to finish in a month ~ 500 Total for all sciences. If you do the math on it, your looking at 4-5 hours a day of completing and reviewing passages. That doesn't even count practice test days.

So my plan is to just conserve ~ 25% for the last month while doing AAMC practice exams and focus on the topics that i need fine tuning.

To me it seemed like Kaplan was a big waste of time. They bombard you with the over emphasis of memorization, NOT real critical thinking. Chances are you are missing questions that are heavily calculation based/do you this tiny little detail? I would give anything to have the BR books right now. I would use those as my primary resource instead of Kaplan, and only use Kaplan as a supplement. Maybe this is just my opinion.

100% agree.

Sounds like we're on a very similiar study schedule.

I have my buddy's old Kaplan class stuff. I gave it a shoot and it's good practice. I'm just going to stick with TBR to keep things simple. I think it's easy to have TOO much practice material.

Are you planning on completing all the TBR Books in a month or just for fine tuning? I'm spreading the TBR passages because there are too many to finish in a month ~ 500 Total for all sciences. If you do the math on it, your looking at 4-5 hours a day of completing and reviewing passages. That doesn't even count practice test days.

So my plan is to just conserve ~ 25% for the last month while doing AAMC practice exams and focus on the topics that i need fine tuning.

I originally planned on completing the TBR Passages for fine tuning only, but the more and more I do Kaplan, the more frustrating it becomes... On the other hand, I find the PR Science Workbook AMAZING!

So I guess I will definitely finish all of TPR Science Workbook and then start TBR Passages and conserve the topics that I feel need additional practice til we are a bit closer to June. I just hope this will be enough practice?!?

I just feel "bad" that I won't be using the Kaplan resources since paying that ridiculous amount....

Any other tips or suggestions on using these materials would be great (keep it comin'!) Thanks again!!

Yeah, I agree, it feels as if I'm being tested on little nuances rather then the main concepts.... While I find the Kaplan material more difficult than the other resources (mainly TPR) I do see some value in it, as far as being prepared for difficult passages.... Thanks again for your advice, I think that using BR will probably be better....

If anyone hasn't started studying yet or hasn't bought any materials, I have the complete ExamKrackers set and AudioOsmosis if any of y'all are interested. PM me if you want.

Last edited:
Just registered for the June date. This will be my first MCAT and hopefully it will not melt my face off.

EDIT: Main reason I registered is b/c the next date that WASN'T at 8:00 a.m. was in August. I can't wait until then!

Last edited:
I just feel "bad" that I won't be using the Kaplan resources since paying that ridiculous amount....

Any other tips or suggestions on using these materials would be great (keep it comin'!) Thanks again!!

I think you are doing fine. I suggest just organizing the material.
I spent too much money and time getting old books on Ebay that are collecting dust ie EK1001 series and the TPR Science Workbook and my friends Kaplan. Just keep it simple and stick to a couple of sources. I do not have time to touch a fraction of the material so its back-up or heaven forbid in case I have to retake.

To help me figure out my daily study schedule for the next 60 days, I did the following in excel.

Add up all of the passages per subject and tabulate the sources.
You figure 7-8 minutes per passage and 8-12 minutes to review the passage post-game.

Depending on the amount of time you have to study per day and the amount of non-practice test days in your schedule, you can figure out what is a realistic goal ( # Passages per day) and will help determine how to trim the fat. Stick to your schedule and add in additional passages from the remaining sources for your weak areas.

I'm very strong in PS and suck badly in Immunology / Micro / Cardio / Bio-chem / O-chem. I verified my weak areas by completing practice tests and again tabulating the topics that I consistantely missed.

My 2 cents.

I agree to those that recommend BR. The chemistry and o-chem especially. They are just ridiculously well made. I finish a chapter on acids and bases in 2 hours and understand the concept 10x better then I did back in General Chemistry when I studied 2 weeks for a test on Acids and Bases.

Exam Krackers does a crazy good job of getting you the concepts, and its easy to read, but BR gives you a much better grip if you have the time. I could summarize:

Kaplan: Learn 90% of the material in "X" amount of time, score a 29-31
EK Books: Learn 90% of the material in "1/2 X" amount of time, score a 29-31
BR books: Learn 100% of the material in "X" amount of time, score a 33+

EK is best for most people, easiest to study from and great results. But if you're one of the people needed a really, really good score you gotta go BR and throw lots of time in.

I agree to those that recommend BR. The chemistry and o-chem especially. They are just ridiculously well made. I finish a chapter on acids and bases in 2 hours and understand the concept 10x better then I did back in General Chemistry when I studied 2 weeks for a test on Acids and Bases.

Exam Krackers does a crazy good job of getting you the concepts, and its easy to read, but BR gives you a much better grip if you have the time. I could summarize:

Kaplan: Learn 90% of the material in "X" amount of time, score a 29-31
EK Books: Learn 90% of the material in "1/2 X" amount of time, score a 29-31
BR books: Learn 100% of the material in "X" amount of time, score a 33+

EK is best for most people, easiest to study from and great results. But if you're one of the people needed a really, really good score you gotta go BR and throw lots of time in.

Please tell me "X" can be 1.5 months....:D

Just put in 5 hours at the Lyeberry. :D

I'm well on my way to 300 hours. My goal is a balanced 35. Taking the first practice in 2 weeks.

I agree to those that recommend BR. The chemistry and o-chem especially. They are just ridiculously well made. I finish a chapter on acids and bases in 2 hours and understand the concept 10x better then I did back in General Chemistry when I studied 2 weeks for a test on Acids and Bases....

I just went through that lecture, it is amazing.

Totally agree with your X formula thingy. Nicely put.

So how is everyone doing so far..anyone completed with content review yet??

Let's all share where we are in our studying so we can have an idea if we are moving along at a really slow pace or maybe too fast!!!

So how is everyone doing so far..anyone completed with content review yet??

Let's all share where we are in our studying so we can have an idea if we are moving along at a really slow pace or maybe too fast!!!

Over a week left of content review till I start Full lengths!!!

I would've been done with content review a month ago but working full time + MCAT studying = Hell

I finished my Kaplan course like a month ago. They have so many section practice tests and full length tests that I don't think it's necessary to buy anything else. I bought the EC books, but I didn't have time to use them.

My Kaplan course doesn't end until June 10 and I graduate June 12th. I am behind on my content review. I may have to postpone. I will wait until I take some full lengths at the end of May.

I keep postponing my full lengths because I can't quite finish my content review (stuck on bio) but I'm forcing myself to start the tests this weekend!
This last week I've fallen back on my studies and have procrastinated a lot and now that the guilt has nearly chewed me up, I'm getting my butt into gear! :scared:

Got up at 6 so that I can get a few hours of MCAT review before school - feeling tired, but motivated at the same time :D

Good luck to everyone! We can do it!!!

Hey guys,

Took it last year in July got a 21Q. Took it in March this year got a 27R. Now Im signed up for June and definitely going to get over a 30! Lets do this!

AND.......26O from March 27th. Did fine in VR and BR (11 and 9) but got a 6 in Physical. So I'm signed up with you guys and I'm doing mostly physics and gen chem. I'm trying to get the TBR books as people have said they are the best for those 2 things. I wish I didn't have to join this forum....but here we go again!!

Coming from 3/27. Did good enough to get into DO. I will regret it for the rest of my life if I don't try again.

this will be my new abode for the next 1.5 months.

I don't even know where to begin. I ordered TBR books. Hopefully, I can get the books by the end of this week (fingers crossed).

I am dissapointed, however, I'm trying to be UBER positive.

Stay positive!

I just knocked out another 5 hours. EK physics is hard to get through b/c I never paid attention when I took it in college. Now I'm paying the price. I need to start some FL's within the next couple of weeks. CRUNCH TIME!

Hey guys, I took the 4/10 exam and just signed up for 6/17 just in case. Hopefully I won't have to take it, but if I do, I'll be joining you guys :)

Hi, everyone. I'm signed up for the 6/17 test. Took a cold FL before I started studying, and didn't do too well (5 - BS/7 - PS/11 - VR), so I'm hoping for a 10 point swing here. Probably starting a little too late for my big push, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Everyone talks about the Kaplan practice tests being comparable to the real MCAT exam. Does anyone who has taken most or all of The Princeton Review practice tests know how they compare to the real MCAT exam? Are they a little easier, or significantly easier?

I'm also wondering if there is a substantial difference between Kaplan and Princeton Review practice exams? I know both companies have the computer-based exams that attempt to follow the AAMC structure and format.

Hi, everyone. I'm signed up for the 6/17 test. Took a cold FL before I started studying, and didn't do too well (5 - BS/7 - PS/11 - VR), so I'm hoping for a 10 point swing here. Probably starting a little too late for my big push, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Which full-length test did you take? A real AAMC practice test?

My score from my first AAMC practice test was lower than the one from the first Princeton Review practice test. Not very promising. I'm hoping to get the hang of the AAMC exams and hopefully get more answers right.

Which full-length test did you take? A real AAMC practice test?

My score from my first AAMC practice test was lower than the one from the first Princeton Review practice test. Not very promising. I'm hoping to get the hang of the AAMC exams and hopefully get more answers right.

Really? I normally score about 2-3 points higher in AAMC than TPR tests! But apparently tests 7-10 of AAMC are the most predictive of a person's real MCAT score.

How is it going guys? Is everybody done with their content review?

6 weeks left.. let's do it ...

I must... finish... content review

I'm about 80% done with each subject, I keep switching between the subject as I progress so all 4 subjects stay fresh in my mind. 15 more days and I should be done I think...

I just want to finish the freakan review and get to practice tests though! I don't know how much longer I can keep sane just memorizing, memorizing, memorizing and not having any idea where I stand (don't want to waste practice tests until I reviewed all the material at least once)

Hey Enoko,
I am in the same boat.. I really want to get to the FLs asap.. I am craving for some numbers now.. My goal is to finish by the 17th so I have a full solid month for PTs... we can do it..

Hey Mbeas..
Great.. let us know how you do... good luck !