The Official 5/26/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomasfx10

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to start the "Official" 5/26/11 MCAT Club. I saw an early post over a month ago, but it did not say official :D and has appeared to have died.

So here we go ....

It is just about three months out from the MCAT. How many hours are people putting in? Anyone taking the Kaplan course or SN2ed's 3 Month Study?

I started with the Kaplan class room course and have mixed feeling about it.

The Good: Free access to all the AAMC exams and Kaplan's full length. They have great website for quizes, exam stats ... it also helps me stay focused. They show some tips and hints but I have found that on this site too ...

The Bad: Cost ($1699). When in class, the teacher slams through everything so quick. Not really anytime for questions ... I think I study better on my own, at my pace.

This brings me to SN2ed's 3 month study guide. (Check out the sticky link for more info). I ordered the books from BR (Plan two weeks, they have an archaic ordering system - mail in forms) ... Anyway, that should be in Tuesday. I plan on doing both ... the Kaplan class, and the 3 month study ... I will let you all know how it goes ...

P.S. I do have a long way to go ... I got a 16 on the Kaplan Diagnostic. Which I heard is much harder than the real one, however that is still at least 15 points under what I want to be at ...

Members don't see this ad.

Paul are you the only person in history who got to check their score AFTER getting accepted to medical school? That was you who got a call a few weeks ago right?

haha, It's a mixed blessing: I feel like I'd have a shot at a whole different range of schools with my new score.

But in all honesty, I am super stoked about my current acceptance at UTMB. This score is just icing on the cake.

Members don't see this ad :)
V = 11
P = 13
B = 12
W = Q

Total = 36Q

What I expected except I thought the P and V would have been flipped. I guess V was so easy I went down in the curve, and P was so hard I went up in the curve.

I studied for about 1 month medium-hard during that month (just by myself). I think I could have improved my score a bit if I studied more, but honestly not that much. If I could give any advice I would say study hard in classes (b/c it double counts for grades and for MCAT study) and then ONLY take AAMC practice tests (I tried taking some of the other practice tests, but are intentionally insanely hard so you will buy their program). And I would say take MOST if not ALL the AAMC practice tests, until you aren't improving anymore. I took about 3 or 4, and I should have taken a few more. Take this with a grain of salt, maybe some of you are better with a mentor, not as much do-it-yourself type. I've heard a lot discussing how to be better at verbal. Don't just read good books, study logic. If you look at the verbal, it is much less about reading and more about understanding arguments, which is what logic is. It is sort of an "informal" normal-language logic, not a mathematical logic. If you want to learn to ride a bike you jump on...if you want to learn to take the MCAT you take the official AAMC practice tests. I know they may cost money, but even if you took all of them, it would still be far less than a test prep program. There is no real reason to study more than 2 months if you tried to understand concepts in your class, not just tried to get a good grade.

Last edited:
Yeah verbal was lower than I expected. I guess the scaling wasn't very generous.

The scaling in verbal is never generous. It's basically 1 miss = -1 pt to 12 or 13, and then 2 miss = -1 point to 11 or 10 (just from the scaling on the practice AAMCs).

VR: 9
PS: 9
BS: 9
27Q

I'm nothing if not consistent:)

My sGPA is a 4.1, post-bacc, good clinical experience and LOR's. I'd love some opinions on if I should still apply.

Paul and his spreadsheets.

Add 11 PS 9 VR 10 BS P Writing.

I proudly duplicate Paul's original 30P. Although diff section scores.

Proud to retake in August. Gonna kick its A$s

We have nearly the exact same scores. Why do you need a retake may I ask?

Also, AAMC/Kaplan Practice Average: 29.
Test Day: 30R. Practice tests are pretty good predictors imo. But a lot about taking this test is confidence, as I am sure a lot of those who scored higher than they expected would agree.

33R (P: 10, V:11, B: 12)

This was pretty much in line with what I felt immediately after the test. My average on the AAMCs was 37, but my mentor just gave me great advice: don't be greedy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. I'm a white male. And all I mean by that is I'm no different than 70% of applicants. I feel like most people getting in are these super-gods with insane GPA's and ECs.

I am still applying now, b/c you never know. (I know a guy that just got into U of Utah Med with a 27, and goes to a college that was just upgraded from a community college). I am mostly re-taking as a safety precaution for next cycle and b/c I know I can do much better. I only studied for 3 weeks. I just need to put in more time. I guess its as much for myself as it is for my application.

Also, I don't want to go D.O. A 30 is more than enough for D.O.'s and will probably (hopefully) get us some interviews and a shot at MD.

Just depends on what your goals are. Not the worst score by far. I also agree with your comments on confidence. I was so shaken up after PS that I think it negatively affected the rest of my test. And my whole family made money bets on my score. Too much pressure. I was memorizing equations as I walked into the testing center. I need to get everything to be second nature and I won't have the emotional/mental hold-ups/ second guessing myself next time around.

Ah I see I see. I agree with your first statement but I still think that you can shine in your application (unless you aren't one of those super-gods) and your interview, if you should get one if you apply this cycle. I have been fortunate to have a pretty good GPA (3.9) and my ECs, although not quite the 800 hours of volunteering in a medical clinic, aren't too shabby (A lot of my volunteer time is with the youth). That being said, I am applying this year. Btw, I feel that with a 30 you can be competitive somewhere, unless that somewhere is California :scared:

Being from Indiana, we have only one medical school. It's probably my top choice at this point, with some other places in the midwest on my radar.

I wish you luck on your endeavors good sir and rock the August MCAT! :thumbup:

:confused:I thought that if you void, then it's as if you were never there as far as the AAMC is concerned? If the THx page says VOID, then wouldn't that mean that schools know when you void?

It still shows up on your THx page (trust me :laugh:), but schools won't be able to see it. Schools will only be aware of tests that you had scored.

So now I am skeptical when people say that examinees have the option to take a standardized test and void it, and it is as if you were never even there...and I am really skeptical when I hear that the void DOES show up on the THx history. Does anyone know if, when you apply to residencies and get asked to send in your MCAT score, your VOID magically reappears, similar to the way that my SAT II subject scores magically reappear?

Residencies don't care about what you made on your MCAT, just like medical schools don't really care about what you made on the SAT.

Maybe you're right, but I still am curious if residency programs can see that an applicant voided the MCAT.

When people say that you can void the MCAT and "it's as if you were never there", is it really as if you were never there?

If the VOID is on the Thx history, my bet is it shows up again somewhere.

I'm not going to pretend like I know everything that goes on behind the scenes, but when you fill out your AMCAS, your MCAT scores are automatically uploaded to the application (which is presumably what the schools will see). There was no mention of any voided scores on my application.

Well, not what I wanted, but not bad either. I was averaging a 35 on 14 practice exams... So, it was a little disappointing but here we go:

PS 12
VR 8
BS 12
Writing R

32R was my composite.

I was averaging a 13 on bio, a 13 on physical, and a 9 on Verbal... I'm not happy, but I'm not upset either, very middle of the road.

Do you think that I will be cut out with my 8? I go to UMichigan, with a decent GPA, great LORs and great ECs. Because some people say that VR is most important, others say least...

Do you think that I will be cut out with my 8? I go to UMichigan, with a decent GPA, great LORs and great ECs. Because some people say that VR is most important, others say least...

No pre-med on SDN knows VR's importance exactly, it's all speculation. If you really wanted to know, contact the admissions offices of the schools you're applying to, and they can give you a more accurate answer. I believe that as long as you're at or above the 10th percentile of the verbal section of a school you're considering, it's worth applying.

Dang, I noticed several people with scores that were 3-4 points below their personal average. I guess AAMC needs to release some newer tests so we can get a better gauge of where we stand!

Congrats to those who got what they wanted!

Dang, I noticed several people with scores that were 3-4 points below their personal average. I guess AAMC needs to release some newer tests so we can get a better gauge of where we stand!

Yea, I was rockin 34s and 5s on all the AAMCs (except a 31 on #7, 33 on #4) and ended up with a 30 (9/11/10Q)?! Can't/shouldn't complain, but I hate not knowing if I should re-take in a month (and travel 500 miles to do so!) or roll the dice with this...

Congrats to everyone!

I was one of those people :-/

To be honest, I think the practice tests were pretty good. I think it had more to do with the following:

1. There are many things that they COULD test and only a few things that they DO test, due to the fact that the test is only a few hours. Unless you are superman/woman (and a few do exist out there) there will always be some variability between tests based on your individual strengths and weaknesses. For every person that scores below his or her average, it seems someone scores above it.

2. Test day is totally different than practice test day. I used to fancy myself a pretty good test taker, but the mental difference between the practice tests and the real thing was huge. The night before my practice tests, I was out with my friends having a good time. The night before the real thing, I was throwing up in a trash can due to nerves. But that's life. After all, being a doctor is all about performing under pressure. If I had to retake, I'm sure things would be a little different the second time around.

Anyway, I'm not trying to whine. I appreciate the people before me that posted their practice test scores, their actual test scores, and their thoughts on the test. I know I benefited from their wisdom hopefully someone will benefit from this.

I was one of those people :-/

To be honest, I think the practice tests were pretty good. I think it had more to do with the following:

1. There are many things that they COULD test and only a few things that they DO test, due to the fact that the test is only a few hours. Unless you are superman/woman (and a few do exist out there) there will always be some variability between tests based on your individual strengths and weaknesses. For every person that scores below his or her average, it seems someone scores above it.

2. Test day is totally different than practice test day. I used to fancy myself a pretty good test taker, but the mental difference between the practice tests and the real thing was huge. The night before my practice tests, I was out with my friends having a good time. The night before the real thing, I was throwing up in a trash can due to nerves. But that's life. After all, being a doctor is all about performing under pressure. If I had to retake, I'm sure things would be a little different the second time around.

Anyway, I'm not trying to whine. I appreciate the people before me that posted their practice test scores, their actual test scores, and their thoughts on the test. I know I benefited from their wisdom hopefully someone will benefit from this.
:thumbup:

I found the practice tests IMMENSELY helpful because I set up a little desk and computer screen that mimicked actual test conditions kinda closely and I REALLY treated each practice test like the real thing. I did not do this during my first MCAT prep: I would take longer breaks, take extra time, kinda take it easy.

It sounds cliche but I went out of my way the first few times to treat practice tests like the real thang and I noticed a marked improvement in my score.

PS = 12
VR = 11
BS = 12
W = Q

Total = 35Q
AAMC Average = 34ish

A little better than expected. Ready to submit my AMCAS!

PS = 12
VR = 11
BS = 12
W = Q

Total = 35Q
AAMC Average = 34ish

A little better than expected. Ready to submit my AMCAS!

You could've submitted already by now. Even if you choose to retake an MCAT, the school still sees all of your scores so what's the point in waiting..

When you click the test day link, it give you the option to press a 'submit' button. Does anyone know if we have to go this since our scores are already loaded onto AMCAS?

I found the practice tests IMMENSELY helpful because I set up a little desk and computer screen that mimicked actual test conditions kinda closely and I REALLY treated each practice test like the real thing. I did not do this during my first MCAT prep: I would take longer breaks, take extra time, kinda take it easy.

It sounds cliche but I went out of my way the first few times to treat practice tests like the real thang and I noticed a marked improvement in my score.

I tried doing this as well but did the best on the real thing. I couldn't trick myself that much on the FL's

I tried doing this as well but did the best on the real thing. I couldn't trick myself that much on the FL's

I think simply putting yourself in the mindset helps not only you actively focus, but allows your body to become accustomed to simple things like being in the test-taking posture for so long, processing the blood in the state when you're test-taking, and other things like breathing.

Not just the big things like knowing how the questions go and the best strategies to approach them in the limited time are strengthened, but the little things too :)

I guess i'm a little late to the party.

I got a 29 june 2010, but didnt apply. This time i got a 34 (11 ps 11 vr 12bs), which is really good for me since i was averaging 30-32 on my practice tests. AAMC 11 was the last FL i took and i got owned with a 31, so i was not expecting a 34. I even debated keeping my 29, since i wasn't improving that much, but I'm so glad i didn't now. I'm almost wondering if the curve was extremely generous, since it seems like the 5/26 club is getting better results than either the 5/20 or 5/21 club.

I guess i'm a little late to the party.

I got a 29 june 2010, but didnt apply. This time i got a 34 (11 ps 11 vr 12bs), which is really good for me since i was averaging 30-32 on my practice tests. AAMC 11 was the last FL i took and i got owned with a 31, so i was not expecting a 34. I even debated keeping my 29, since i wasn't improving that much, but I'm so glad i didn't now. I'm almost wondering if the curve was extremely generous, since it seems like the 5/26 club is getting better results than either the 5/20 or 5/21 club.

I feel we had a decent curve too haha - i got killed in PS by my standards...

I feel like the curve was incredibly harsh. I never got below a 13 on PS on all the AAMC practice tests (got 52/52 a couple times...) but got an 11 on the actual one. I have no idea why.

I feel we had a decent curve too haha - i got killed in PS by my standards...

I feel like the curve was incredibly harsh. I never got below a 13 on PS on all the AAMC practice tests (got 52/52 a couple times...) but got an 11 on the actual one. I have no idea why.

Eh, I wouldn't say incredibly harsh. The content tested might have been from your weaker areas (I know some of it was for me!). Also, I feel the MCAT is pretty statistically robust.

From the AAMC:
Is the exam graded on a curve?
Examinees often ask if earning a high score or higher percentile is easier or harder at different times of the testing year. They ask whether they have a better chance of earning a higher score in April or in August, for example. The question is based on an assumption that the exam is scored on a curve, and that a final score is dependent on how an individual performed in comparison to other examinees from the same test day or same time of year.

While there may be small differences in the MCAT exam you took compared to another examinee, the scoring process accounts for these differences so that an 8 earned on physical sciences on one exam means the same thing as an 8 earned on any other exam. The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam.

How you score on the MCAT exam, therefore, is not reflective of the particular exam you took—including the time of day, the test date, or the time of year—since any difference in difficulty level is accounted for when calculating your scale scores (see above for information about scaling).

I just thought I would share my scores.
The first time I took the MCAT using Examkrackers I got a 25 (8,9,8)

The second time, after studying for months with AAMC practice tests and Examkrackers again I got a 26 (8,10,8).

This time, after studying for many more months with The Princeton Review huge book of practice problems, Examkrackers, and the AAMC practice tests I got a 30 (9,11,10) !

It might not be the best score on SDN but it is good enough to get in somewhere and that is all I wanted. My advice for anyone who is discouraged by this test is seriously to never give up!

http://aesculapianadventurer.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
PS-12
VR-9
BS-12

33Q

AAMC avg (3-11): 35ish with 32 low and 36 high

Meh... I feel like I just won a fight by decision; not entirely thrilled about my performance but glad I didn't lose :)

Well, I too took the MCAT on 5/26/11 (for the third time!!)....the first time I took it, I looked at the score straight away, the second time, I looked late that night, this time, I have yet to look at the score for two (in my mind) very good reasons: I figure, it's not going anywhere, ....and I don't need the happiness sparked by the start of True Blood's fourth season extinguished by a potentially bad score. As it stands, I've made a 27, a 28....if I didn't break 30 this time I'm pretty sure I'm going to poke my eyes out with forks...eh....probably not.....anyway.... cheers

Well, I too took the MCAT on 5/26/11 (for the third time!!)....the first time I took it, I looked at the score straight away, the second time, I looked late that night, this time, I have yet to look at the score for two (in my mind) very good reasons: I figure, it's not going anywhere, ....and I don't need the happiness sparked by the start of True Blood's fourth season extinguished by a potentially bad score. As it stands, I've made a 27, a 28....if I didn't break 30 this time I'm pretty sure I'm going to poke my eyes out with forks...eh....probably not.....anyway.... cheers

Best of luck to you haha!

Didn't have internet until today (was outside of the US post-MCAT)

I thought the physics was impossible, the verbal easy, and the biology quite easy.

I averaged ~35's on practice tests, usually ~12.5/10.5/12

On the actual test I got PS 14, VR 8, BS 11, Writing M.

I had never practiced writing, but followed a thesis/antithesis/synthesis scaffold and thought that it had gone fine.

Absolutely amazed at a 14 in PS on such an impossible section. Devastated with an 8 in VR, always got 10-11 on practice tests.

Any thoughts? I have a very misbalanced score, in my opinion. I doubt I'll be able to repeat a PS 14, though I'm sure I can do better in verbal and writing.

Lots of really good scores in this thread. Congratulations, guys!

And yeah, definitely more reporting of high scores on SDN than in reality. SDN attracts the kind of people that wind up doing very well on the MCAT, and a lot of those that don't do as well as they expected just don't post their scores (not surprising). Plus people lie, but I generally expect regular posters to be honest.

Congrats again! :D

Wow, I can't imagine the willpower necessary to avoid looking at your score for 3 days. When do you think you'll look? How did you prepare differently for this past exam? Hope you get what you're looking for.

barristan said:
Didn't have internet until today (was outside of the US post-MCAT)

I thought the physics was impossible, the verbal easy, and the biology quite easy.

I averaged ~35's on practice tests, usually ~12.5/10.5/12

On the actual test I got PS 14, VR 8, BS 11, Writing M.

I had never practiced writing, but followed a thesis/antithesis/synthesis scaffold and thought that it had gone fine.

Absolutely amazed at a 14 in PS on such an impossible section. Devastated with an 8 in VR, always got 10-11 on practice tests.

Any thoughts? I have a very misbalanced score, in my opinion. I doubt I'll be able to repeat a PS 14, though I'm sure I can do better in verbal and writing.

The verbal is pretty low, and combined with an M on the writing, might raise some flags. However, a score of 33 is solid, higher than the national average of accepted students. I also agree that the 14 in PS is probably not repeatable. I would call the school(s) you're interested in, and try to find out how they'd view those numbers. I think though, because of the high chance that the PS section would drop a good bit, I would choose to apply with that score, counting on an excellently written Personal Statement to help bolster admissions impression of my verbal ability.

Wow, I can't imagine the willpower necessary to avoid looking at your score for 3 days. When do you think you'll look? How did you prepare differently for this past exam? Hope you get what

Well, I thank you for calling it 'willpower', that's kinder than 'I don't understand your pointless neuroticism' which is what my friend says (and I do see his point). Anyway, I'm on a holiday from work until next Wens, and I'm sure I'll between now and then

Bascially, I went very slowly through the physical science topics, trying to REALLY understand the concepts...that section is my weakest....I've gotten 12's on bio and verbal (though sadly not on the same tests)....I also really tried to go through orgo thoroughly...I liked orgo, its just been awhile. I took a lot of practice tests too...and then re-did them....which is something I hadn't done before

The MCAT is maddening, by rights I should have done the best on this test ( i studied the hardest for it) and yet I know very well there are no garuntees. I was mad my verbal dropped from a 12 to a 10 between my first/ second tests (my bio went from an 8 to a 12).....why couldn't I have kept the 12...verbal is unequivocally my best subject....and for this third go round, I thought bio seemed harder so I doubt I kept that 12....I just know I'll so angry, sad and frustrated if I got a lower score...

So....I'll just continue looking at buddhist quotes about life 'just being a journey' until I feel I've attained enough temporary wisdom to not hurl my laptop across the room if i find myself staring at a 26... ;)