The Official 5/22/2010 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're in the final stretch of our MCAT studying and preparation.

Feel free to share your current practice scores and progress, keep up friendly discussion, and motivate each other!

Good luck to all :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
whose practice test average is above 35, but for the real test feel terrible? even doubts CAN'T MAKE 30.

I averaged something around 39 on my last few exams, but there's no way I did that well on the real thing. About a week left of waiting. :)

whose practice test average is above 35, but for the real test feel terrible? even doubts CAN'T MAKE 30.

Haha, wow. My avg was 34 on AAMC tests...thought for a while I would be beyond surprised if I got it after the 5/22. Looked stuff up and know I got at least 8 wrong on PS :thumbdown: after averaging a 12 on the AAMC PS. Keep thinking I'm gonna check and look at a 25 or something. Glad to see you all feel the same, though. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm in the opposite boat from many of you. In contrast to you high-scoring practice test takers who feel crummy on the real thing, I only took one practice test prior to this exam (although I did take an MCAT with a plethora of practice full lengths February-May 2009), scored 29 I think, but walking out of the testing center I felt like I did better on the real thing than any other MCAT, practice or otherwise.

i dont want the score :(
this was my second time retaking it and i left the test feeling terrible, it was sooo hard
i think i really messed up the verbal because after that insane PS section i just couldn't focus.
i already registered for the retake and need to start studying for a retake any day now. but i am really praying that a miracle happens with my score, i just don't know if i have the nerves to go through this test again

thats exactly what happened to me....if i had focused on VR...i may have gotten a decent score...i went through my physics notes yesterday and realized i haven't forgotten anything...so thats a good sign if a retake is in my future...

Haha, wow. My avg was 34 on AAMC tests...thought for a while I would be beyond surprised if I got it after the 5/22. Looked stuff up and know I got at least 8 wrong on PS :thumbdown: after averaging a 12 on the AAMC PS. Keep thinking I'm gonna check and look at a 25 or something. Glad to see you all feel the same, though. :D
hope a big curve will happen, let cross our figers.

Anybody else thinkin we may get our scores today? I was thinkin/hopin they may get em in before the weekend? I've taken the mcat before, but for the life of me I don't remember when I got my scores back. Anybody know of they stick to the posted schedule rigorously or they release scores sooner?

Anybody else thinkin we may get our scores today? I was thinkin/hopin they may get em in before the weekend? I've taken the mcat before, but for the life of me I don't remember when I got my scores back. Anybody know of they stick to the posted schedule rigorously or they release scores sooner?

Everyone that I have spoken to say that the scores come back 30 days later on the dot. Sometimes at noon, sometimes at 9 PM at night.

Any of you boys and girls keep to your studying after D-day?

I've barely touched my books...too busy being unproductive, hitting the gym again, and watching the Lakers crush the Celtics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken the entire month to myself. Planned the next two semesters out, did some dating, and generally enjoyed life. So no, I didn't study and won't re-take for another year if I must. Holding out hope I approach matching my practice scores though.

Really? Gee I better write up my personal statement soon.

I feel you on that one...Anyone else having a seriously difficult time decided how/what to write it about...I keep sitting down to get it started and end up just staring at the screen with no ideas.

I feel you on that one...Anyone else having a seriously difficult time decided how/what to write it about...I keep sitting down to get it started and end up just staring at the screen with no ideas.

Why don't you just answer the question truthfully? Why do you want to go to medical school? It shouldn't be too difficult. If you don't have a good reason for yourself then you won't be able to convince someone else that you have a good reason for wanting to become a doctor. And if you can't even fill one page with an explanation then maybe you are in the wrong career path.

Why don't you just answer the question truthfully? Why do you want to go to medical school? It shouldn't be too difficult. If you don't have a good reason for yourself then you won't be able to convince someone else that you have a good reason for wanting to become a doctor. And if you can't even fill one page with an explanation then maybe you are in the wrong career path.

As much as I agree with this I think 1 page is a little too concise. When I wrote out my rough draft it was over 6 pages single spaced...there's a lot of reasons and they all are related so to say just one is a little tricky.

As much as I agree with this I think 1 page is a little too concise. When I wrote out my rough draft it was over 6 pages single spaced...there's a lot of reasons and they all are related so to say just one is a little tricky.

That's exactly my point. That's the situation you should find yourself in, not staring at a blank screen with no ideas. That's a bad sign of things to come.

That's too judgmental. Everybody has a different writing style and the blank screen is a horrible block.

Here's my suggestion for anyone suffering this dilemma. Write anything. "The other day my wife said to me...." Patrick McManus starts by mocking Earnest Hemingway. "A hunter should be brave and true and kind and strong." You could start by writing some nonsense like. "Every doctor should make others his watchword." And then keep writing nonsense. "But a doctor is actually a selfish creature...."

When you get done, throw away the first 2 paragraphs. They were just primers.

The reason the page is blank isn't because I don't know why I want to become a physician...It's because I'm trying to write something unique. I don't want to just punch out some thing that looks exactly like what everyone else is writing. But I appreciate everyone considering my career doomed before it begins haha.

The reason the page is blank isn't because I don't know why I want to become a physician...It's because I'm trying to write something unique. I don't want to just punch out some thing that looks exactly like what everyone else is writing. But I appreciate everyone considering my career doomed before it begins haha.

Your first draft is not the time to worry about uniqueness. Get something down, even if its trash.

And "everyone" doesn't consider your career doomed. Note my defense above. That statement sounds like a 16 year old. Your in the adult world now.

Your first draft is not the time to worry about uniqueness. Get something down, even if its trash.

Truly. Write anything, and you might be surprised what starts coming out after a few paragraphs. If all else fails, have a beer and give it a go. You can clear up the grammatical errors and misspellings when you're more clear-headed later. :D

And "everyone" doesn't consider your career doomed. Note my defense above. That statement sounds like a 16 year old. Your in the adult world now.

Your right. I apologize. Thanks for the advice.

My pathway of wanting to become a doctor is spectacularly unimpressive. I started my undergrad with an interest in bio and decided that biomed would be a fun yet challenging major. At the time I had just graduated from high school without knowing what the word "study" even meant (with a 2.5ish gpa) and I picked the major more to prove to myself that I was smarter than what people interpreted me as from highschool (bad reason I know, but I had an ego that needed caressing). My major being biomed, I was naturally exposed to a number of medical related professions and that of the physician always appealed to me. That is, the autonomy, diagnostic aspect, assistance of other on the most personal and essential level, and of course the prestige and money always appealed to me.
So I started a clinical research job that would expose me to a variety of surgeries in a variety of clinics. Every single operation I witnessed overwhelmed me and my desire to be in the field, doing exactly what those physicians were doing, and those days I left work with a huge smile on my face. When the time came for me to perform similar surgeries on animals, that feeling intensified. It was nothing short of exhilarating. The rush of "being a doctor", even to mice and hamsters was undeniable. When I started shadowing other physicians and volunteering at a hospital by my school, I saw nothing that was able to push me away from the career, and more impressively, neither have the pessimists on SDN, so I figure I'm on the right path.
But its tough to spin this into a compelling and complete personal statement. Hardly 6 pages :)

ONLY 3 more days guys!!! who's ready?!? o_O

oh man i sure am... i need some closure over here!!! had another mcat score dream last night, and i woke up and calculated my average for the mcat scores i have received in my dreams over the past month: 24, 34, 28, 28, 29. it would be interesting to see how far off the average of peoples dream scores are from their actual score haha

oh man i sure am... i need some closure over here!!! had another mcat score dream last night, and i woke up and calculated my average for the mcat scores i have received in my dreams over the past month: 24, 34, 28, 28, 29. it would be interesting to see how far off the average of peoples dream scores are from their actual score haha

Is dreaming about the MCAT score a sign of mental health? Should this be included in the DSM manual of psychological disorders?

Hey all,

To whichever admin banned me for my post under gagaz:

A: I have no affiliation with University of Seattles Med. School.

B: How does that fall under youd definition of spam?

Don't advertise (spam). SDN is a student forum which relies on sponsorships to operate. To promote your product or service, see our sponsorship section. Also, no ads in your signature, it's the same as spamming.

C: Why are you discouraging constructive comments?

It would be great to know who to email concerning this matter as it is blatantly rude.

Sorry to anyone who read my comment hoping for something insightful.

I had my first MCAT dream last night. I was in some office picking up my score, and whoever was responsible for giving the scores out tossed it on the desk and I had made an 11 in PS, 8 in VR, and 11 in BS. I started crying because I was so happy.

With apologies to "Westside Story"

Tuesday. Tuesday
Won't be just any day
Tuesday there will be some scoring stars.
Tuesday. Tuesday
We'll see our scores tuesday
And for us, stars will stop where they are.

Today
The minutes seem like hours...
The hours go so slowly
And still the sky is light.
Oh, moon, grow bright
And make this endless day
Go away. Tuesday.

At what times have the scores been released (in the recent past)? I thought they came out before 5PM EST, is that right?

With apologies to "Westside Story"

Tuesday. Tuesday
Won't be just any day
Tuesday there will be some scoring stars.
Tuesday. Tuesday
We'll see our scores tuesday
And for us, stars will stop where they are.

Today
The minutes seem like hours...
The hours go so slowly
And still the sky is light.
Oh, moon, grow bright
And make this endless day
Go away. Tuesday.

Well done, sir.

I had my first MCAT dream last night. I was in some office picking up my score, and whoever was responsible for giving the scores out tossed it on the desk and I had made an 11 in PS, 8 in VR, and 11 in BS. I started crying because I was so happy.

I keep dreaming that I made a 31. Of course, the breakdown was 14BS, 10V and 7PS. I hate physics.

Yeh Im glad you guys are talking about the dreams. It makes you feel so crazy. Like a few days before the test, I had this dream I went into my interview in shorts, and I woke up in this huge sweat. It just shows you how much of a huge stress this whole process has been putting on us.

I mean I know that the scores arent coming out until tomorrow or Tuesday but Im still checking three times a day, its insanity.

I am worried about my scores like all of you. I dont think too many people walked out of that test singin "Im walkin in sunshine", especially with the solubility passage from the ninth circle of the inferno and the pos/neg verbal passage where I debated gouging my eyeballs with the pencil provided by the gracious staff at Prometric testing center.

I got a 30 on my last MCAT, and Im shooting for a 34? 35? I just keep telling myself that between the 13+ practice tests I took and the Kaplan course and the hours and hours of mcat practice and study i HAD TO have done better than last time. Im sure we dont have a huge sample size in this forum, but it definitely seems like everyone struggled with this MCAT, so maybe it will go well. hey well know soon enough.

Let me know how you did, and ill do the same. I am sure I will be checking several times tomorrow. Either way, tomorrow or tuesday well know some more answers.

and everybody relax, its not like the results of this one test are that important for our dreams of becoming a doctor? oh wait@! haha, but seriously, you just have to put one foot in front of the other DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING, and trust that things will work out.

See you on the flip side.
TX

I don't want to find out the scores :( NOOOOO. I like being in denial becaues i still have hope to cling on to. Once they come out and i see my 25 it will be back to the library. I have been really ADD since the last test so i just ran out of ways to focus. Also i don't know how else to study for it :(.

I'm with you... I'm actually relieved every time i obsessively check the scores and they aren't up yet...:eek:

I get a little relief when I check more scores too. But I think it's because while I'm waking for that page to load, I forget breathe. And instead of having to react, I just get relief. No jumping for joy or crying. I just get to breathe.

To the guy who quoted me: don't u hate it when u have to practice what you preach!

That's funny, I had a dream I scored a 25 last night, too :(

I woke up all flustered and reached for my phone to check, and what relief at the fact that the scores had not yet been posted *lol*

Anyone else basically telling everyone to bugger off until after the results? I'm just going to indulge in NCAA football 2010 and playing basketball until I get my results. Worked hard enough to earn that reprieve.

Anyone else basically telling everyone to bugger off until after the results? I'm just going to indulge in NCAA football 2010 and playing basketball until I get my results. Worked hard enough to earn that reprieve.

Yes, except for the whole full-time job thing.

I'm basically going to be a stoic wreck tomorrow.

i just hate it when people say "I'm sure you did fine! don't worry so much!" ... cuz it not only makes me feel like I'm going to embarrass myself even more when my score sucks, but also makes me think that these people think I'm smart and that's all going to change tomorrow lol

the idea that this score is what my future depends on is the most cruel type of punishment ever... i think prisoners should have impossible life goals to reach instead of the electric chair. that would be so much more torturous

Haha im exactly the same way! If one more person tells me not to worry or start studying again, because I will not have to retake, I will go crazzy :)

I just want this all over. Crossing my fingers verbal and physical sciences did not go as poorly as I think..

So what are you guys planning to do if you want to retake? I keep freaking myself out about how my score will turn out to be super low and I will have to retake, yet it's kind of late to retake (I haven't signed up for a test neither). I am aiming for at least 36 (for MD/PhD programs) and if I don't get this score, I think my dream to get into a top MD/PhD program is pretty much destroyed. What would you do if you end up having to retake?

So what are you guys planning to do if you want to retake? I keep freaking myself out about how my score will turn out to be super low and I will have to retake, yet it's kind of late to retake (I haven't signed up for a test neither). I am aiming for at least 36 (for MD/PhD programs) and if I don't get this score, I think my dream to get into a top MD/PhD program is pretty much destroyed. What would you do if you end up having to retake?

I won't have to retake, if I get low enough, I'll just have to change my school target list. But if I were younger, then I wouldn't let a single score and single year mess up my dreams. If you want a top MD/PhD program and your MCAT was too low, then spend a year doing research and volunteering and MCAT study and try again next year with a higher score and more research/clinical experience, etc.

how many of you have already submitted your applications?? i'm totally done with mine but i'm too scared to actually BE DONE.... if that makes sense. i've had a lot of people read my essay, but no one has looked over the entire thing (like work/activities) and i'm worried that i'll pay for it and submit, then realize that i missed one thing that means my application won't go through. and i'm scared that i'll end up with a crazy bad mcat and have no chance of getting in.

or i could just be thinking of every possible scenario of things that could go wrong and making myself crazy :)

so i guess this was really just asking if i should be sending in my application now, or waiting?