The Official 5/21/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm taking the test on 21st may and looking for fellow test takers:) I just started studying today...

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking that I will just apply to 20 schools, take my chances, retake next spring if I don't get in anywhere. This test was very annoying, was worried about the BS and ended up doing the best in that...and 3 points lower in PS and 2 points lower in VR that my averages.

Word. I don't understand PS or VR here at all.

I am worried because I want to do MD/PhD and I do not know if a 35S is competitive or not... but it is higher than the average (32) so I will not retake it. I also prepared for this while finishing my second year of Teach For America and tutoring and working at a physics lab. That should count for something with Adcoms...

I am thinking that I will just apply to 20 schools, take my chances, retake next spring if I don't get in anywhere. This test was very annoying, was worried about the BS and ended up doing the best in that...and 3 points lower in PS and 2 points lower in VR that my averages.

Yea you should definitely take the chance and apply, but do it asap! I have been in limbo the past year and its driving me crazy. I need to get in already. I applied June 9 to 33 schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
also consider DO, if your other areas are strong then you would have a good chance for an interview. The application is exactly the same minus some long answers.

25P 10V 9B 7V, I averaged 28-30 on every practice test I took. I felt confident I had at least got a 28 after the test so I'm wondering is there any chance they made a mistake? Should i ask for a rescore, I know its very unlikely but I just didn't expect anything this low so I'm really really bummed.

25P 10V 9B 7V, I averaged 28-30 on every practice test I took. I felt confident I had at least got a 28 after the test so I'm wondering is there any chance they made a mistake? Should i ask for a rescore, I know its very unlikely but I just didn't expect anything this low so I'm really really bummed.

Dude, I think that's a 26 (10, 9, 7)!

Just got my results today:

I got a 26M (PS 8, VR 9, BS 9).

I'm 50/50 on it. I remember walking out of the test thinking, "Please let me get at LEAST a 20...". I checked my score 5 mins ago and I was surprised with my score.

At the same time, it's still pretty low. I tried to do independent study during this past semester, but I admit that I wasn't focused (esp. with Orgo II...). I've been studying ever since I took the test because I know I can do better.

I need advice! I was always planning to go the Post-Bacc/SMP route, but should I try applying to DOs? Honestly, I wasn't planning on applying this summer....

Thanks for any advice!

i would just like to tell everyone on here who thinks their scores are bad that i had 3 friends this past year who all made 26-28 on their mcats and they got 5+ interviews with 3+ acceptances, all MD schools with rankings.

MCAT is not the big decider or anything, it's important, but too much emphasis is put on it in here.
sorry, just irritates me : /
you gotta wow them with your whole application and then wow them at your interview.

i think everyone should take a shot at applying this year, you never know!
have faith in yourself as a whole package, don't get down on yourself for one number!!!

i would just like to tell everyone on here who thinks their scores are bad that i had 3 friends this past year who all made 26-28 on their mcats and they got 5+ interviews with 3+ acceptances, all MD schools with rankings.

MCAT is not the big decider or anything, it's important, but too much emphasis is put on it in here.
you gotta wow them with your whole application and then wow them at your interview.

have faith in yourself as a whole package, don't get down on yourself for one number!!!

This is awesome advice!! Thanks for it..it makes sense hearing from someone else.

That is good advice. Though, I was kind of banking on my gpa and mcat making up for not-so-stellar EC's, but now I only have a mediocre mcat (but still a great gpa). I just wish I had a crystal ball and could see into the future and whether or not I get accepted!

if that's all true :love::love::love:

I have a 26Q (I'm 12 years+ out of these classes) BS=10, VR=9, PS=7

Members don't see this ad :)
34P PS 11; V 11; BS 12 6 points higher than my first time!!!
In Jan I took it the first time and got 28Q PS 9; V 10; BS 9

I'm a post-bacc that has a degree in fine arts with a low gpa, so for the past 6-7 years I thought the possibility of actually becoming a doctor was completely out of my reach. I'm really happy about the retake, but more than anything wanted to post here to say that it's not the end of the world if you have a bad exam. I was close to devastated after my first take but it showed me my gaps of knowledge and the areas in which I was the weakest. More than anything it forced me to study to the point that I started to feel confident that I could be competitive enough to actually become a medical student. I got a lot out of the hell that was studying for the MCAT for 8+ months and most of what I got out of it didn't have anything to do with the score I'm now happy with!

Congrats to all you that are pleased with your scores!
To those that are not, use it to you advantage and a lot can come out of it!

Would people care to send me their AAMC average, the number of AAMC tests they took, and their actual score? I'm gonna do a linear regression of the results. PM me.

I just got a 28Q ps8 vr8 bs12, i am applying to a canadian school whos avg to get in is a 29. overall, i am somewhat happy with my score, but so unbalanced!

During all the practice AAMC I never got above a 28, however, I most often did better in PS. I only have 1 month to restudy, along with working, moving, and writting applications and essays. Should I rewrite? I am not sure if this uni cares much about unbalanced or not? I am a nurse, and my gpa is decent.

I gotta say im surprised by what i got. 10v 14bs 14ps essay: O. Never got above 33 on tpr practice tests and 34 on practice mcats. Needless to say im very happy. I haven't applied yet but will soon.

yes i am not lying!
i know 2 of them had really good gpas, i don't know about the third.
and they all got letters from our pre-med committee on campus [i don't even go to a big well known school, mostly local students attend, but it is an accredited university with many nationally ranked programs].
normal volunteer work, shadowing, one had research on campus...

there may be some schools out there that are really strict and will toss you out for a low MCAT, but who wants to go to a school like that anyway!?
i value schools who take their interviews seriously, take the students personality and people skills into account, and look at applicants as a whole, not just their numbers on a paper!

there's a lot of pessimists on here...but i really do give med schools the benefit of the doubt.
i believe that all schools want the best students that will become the best physicians to serve upcoming generations.
all we can do is try our hardest and put ourselves out there and hopefully someone will give us a try and we will all shine in interviews!!!
good luck to all of you, good or bad MCATs!!!

RETAKE FTW!

27M 8PS/9VR/10BS

maxed out at 32 on my practice tests. avg was 29.5 I thought BS was my worst leaving the test, but I am most disapointed with VR. I was getting 10-11 on VR most practice tests.

Retaking on 7/29

:bang:

Summer = over :thumbdown:

First time

11BS 10PS 9VR (30N)

Don't know what with the N in writing! Consistently got P or Q in practice tests. Do you think the N will look bad?

Honestly I hit 30 only once on practice test, average was around 26 so I am really happy!:D

Congrats to everyone! Whether good or bad, we should be proud that we took the darn MCAT! Trust me, I know lots of people gave up before even trying.

Dude, I think that's a 26 (10, 9, 7)!

Sorry I meant to put 10V 8B 7P, my brain's fried from getting a score much lower than what I was averaging and what I was expecting. If I retake it on July 28th is that going to be too late? I already submitted my app and would like to be kind of early especially since my mcat is so low now. My gpa has an upward trent but its only 3.3s and I have tons of great EC's. Do I even have a chance at DO with these stats?

Sorry I meant to put 10V 8B 7P, my brain's fried from getting a score much lower than what I was averaging and what I was expecting. If I retake it on July 28th is that going to be too late? I already submitted my app and would like to be kind of early especially since my mcat is so low now. My gpa has an upward trent but its only 3.3s and I have tons of great EC's. Do I even have a chance at DO with these stats?

Do you know if we can update our MCAT scores on AMCAS once submitted (hopefully with better ones) or do we have to send the updates to the individual schools?

Yeah retake would be the best thing, I mean your scores are pretty weak on both Sciences. I think you have a shot at D.O though possibly even M.D if you retake and score >32 I know pushing the PS up is easy but BS is a lot harder that's just my opinion.

RETAKE FTW!

27M 8PS/9VR/10BS

maxed out at 32 on my practice tests. avg was 29.5 I thought BS was my worst leaving the test, but I am most disapointed with VR. I was getting 10-11 on VR most practice tests.

Retaking on 7/29

:bang:

Summer = over :thumbdown:

I think I may retake it too. I got a 26O (8/8/10), but I took the AAMC FLs (3-7, 8, 10, and 11) and averaged a 33. So, I don't know if this one was just a fluke or what.

Yeah retake would be the best thing, I mean your scores are pretty weak on both Sciences. I think you have a shot at D.O though possibly even M.D if you retake and score >32 I know pushing the PS up is easy but BS is a lot harder that's just my opinion.

Now should i indicate on my aacomas that I'm retaking it? or just take the chance that some schools will look at my 25 mcat before August 28(when my new score would come in) and hope they give me an interview shot? Basically I'm asking if I indicate on aacomas am I going to be at a disadvantage even though I would have everything else in way beforehand?

Now should i indicate on my aacomas that I'm retaking it? or just take the chance that some schools will look at my 25 mcat before August 28(when my new score would come in) and hope they give me an interview shot? Basically I'm asking if I indicate on aacomas am I going to be at a disadvantage even though I would have everything else in way beforehand?

Just to let you know I know two kids that got into M.D schools with a 25 on the MCAT. Their scores were 10 PS, 5 VR , 10 BS and the others was 11 PS, 3 VR, 11 BS. So I know it's possible to get into M.D schools with a 25 if you're other stuff is almost Jesus Christ looking lol. So I would figure that hey with a 25 that you have a shot at a mid tier D.O school if applying early with crazy ECs, LORs. Don't let anyone put you down bro and tell you that you don't have a shot. I'm a pessimistic guy by nature and I truly think you can get into D.O school this year! Now you could tell them that hey I'm retaking the MCAT and you run the disadvantage of being slightly late. Now idk what your future score will be but let's say you score a 27 on the second try? I think 27 in August is the same as 25 in June but that's just my opinion. Worst case scenario you could retake and reapply early as hell next year. :thumbup:

This exam was an absolute shock to me. I scored a 6V, 6P 9B- 21M....I was averaging 27-30's on my practice exams. WTF happened here?? I am absolutely crushed and totally lost. I already rescheduled for 7/28 but motivation now is on empty....

This exam was an absolute shock to me. I scored a 6V, 6P 9B- 21M....I was averaging 27-30's on my practice exams. WTF happened here?? I am absolutely crushed and totally lost. I already rescheduled for 7/28 but motivation now is on empty....

You sound exactly like me.

I took a year off. Here I am, a year later, doing way better, got my head in the game, and I'm ready to kick MCAT butt.

Clear your head, step away, and decide whether you want to apply again while the knowledge is still fresh in your head, or wait and then come back to it. I needed the time away because I was so lost/confused/annoyed/angry/frustrated/wanting to give up.

Don't give up - I think it's totally a fluke, nerves got the best of us, etc. I bought new materials, and definitely have a sense that I know the material better NOW than I did this time last year.

PM if you want to talk more, I can try to give suggestions from my own personal experience.

Just to let you know I know two kids that got into M.D schools with a 25 on the MCAT. Their scores were 10 PS, 5 VR , 10 BS and the others was 11 PS, 3 VR, 11 BS. So I know it's possible to get into M.D schools with a 25 if you're other stuff is almost Jesus Christ looking lol. So I would figure that hey with a 25 that you have a shot at a mid tier D.O school if applying early with crazy ECs, LORs. Don't let anyone put you down bro and tell you that you don't have a shot. I'm a pessimistic guy by nature and I truly think you can get into D.O school this year! Now you could tell them that hey I'm retaking the MCAT and you run the disadvantage of being slightly late. Now idk what your future score will be but let's say you score a 27 on the second try? I think 27 in August is the same as 25 in June but that's just my opinion. Worst case scenario you could retake and reapply early as hell next year. :thumbup:

Wow I never thought a 25 would get anyone into MD school but the rest of my app is pretty good, except my gpa is a measly 3.3s. I have already submitted my app so I guess I'll notify them of my new test date and let the chips fall. Thanks for the help bro

No offense, but the exception doesn't make the norm.

The AAMC data states otherwise. Your friends just happened to be one of the 15-20% of those who were able to get in with that score OR they had stellar GPAs.

The AAMC data states otherwise. Your friends just happened to be one of the 15-20% of those who were able to get in with that score OR they had stellar GPAs.

That's true but they could also be the exception (GPA/disadvantaged/hardships).

I'd rather throw a few dollars in the pot and get a 2% chance of getting in than 0% not applying.

Just my 2 cents.

Same here. I never scored below an 11 on VB on practice tests and averaged 9 on PS and 10 on BS and I ended up with 7PS 7VB 8BS. Crushed. I feel like I'm seeing a lot more of this on SDN the past couple of MCATs than normal. I don't know if the changes to the MCAT are affecting scores or if it is just coincidence, but I couldn't be more disappointed. Retake on July 28th for me too. Good luck to you! Let me know how you do.

They were both URM African American, one of them was a former Marine like myself so he had seen some hardship in his life. The other one was born literally in a village in Africa where they barely have water. All I'm trying to explain to people is that just because you got a 25 on the MCAT does not mean you're automatically shut off from medical schools. That might be the case with kids scoring below 24 (average) but ehhh anything over that there's always a chance. There's always a story behind every individual and plus the guy was talking about D.O schools. I think with a 3.3 and 25, excellent ECs, LORs he could get into D.O schools that's just my subjective view that should not be taken objectively by you poor studentdoc forum souls. :luck:

must be URMs....

Just to let you know I know two kids that got into M.D schools with a 25 on the MCAT. Their scores were 10 PS, 5 VR , 10 BS and the others was 11 PS, 3 VR, 11 BS. :thumbup:

I would honestly question how literate someone was if they received a 3 on VR.

But hey, I guess that's good enough to get you into med school nowadays.

Yeah it was a total shocker to me as well. I think there probably wasn't a generous curve.

AAMC Average~ 39q (14p 10v 15b) There wasn't a single bio question i missed in the practice AAMCs

4/16 take: 14p 8v 15b 37q

5/21 take: 13p 10v 13b 36q

I wish you all the luck restudying for the exam, I truly know how it feels having to decide to retake. Keep your head up and everything will turn out well!

Yeah it was a total shocker to me as well. I think there probably wasn't a generous curve.

AAMC Average~ 39q (14p 10v 15b) There wasn't a single bio question i missed in the practice AAMCs

4/16 take: 14p 8v 15b 37q

5/21 take: 13p 10v 13b 36q

I wish you all the luck restudying for the exam, I truly know how it feels having to decide to retake. Keep your head up and everything will turn out well!

although you scored lower, I would love your numbers! haha. Good job on raising up VR, although you took a tiny hit on the PS/BS sections, that 36 looks GREAT now!

would a ps11,vr6,bs11 warrant a retake?
sgpa 3.78
cgpa 3.79

I would suggest a retake if you can. That 6 VR will probably get you screened out a lot of places. Are you applying this cycle? Do you have time to work on VR?

yes. submitting aacomas within two weeks...and already submitted tmdsas.
Im actually scheduled to retake aug 5th.
enough time to improve a bit on VR

How sad it is. As someone who was responsible for high school students myself I know personally that all lowering standards does is cheat those who are being assessed and create a less able populace. If you keep the standards high for everybody, people will rise to the challenge and surprise the common (extremely racist) notion that we need to accommodate based on socioeconomic/racial status. Someone might need extra help to get there, but at the end of the day an A is an A, and anyone can do it.

Sorry, nobody got into a us med school with a 3 in verbal, and an anonymous post on SDN doesn't make it fact.

Being URM doesn't exempt you from being able to pass the USMLE, and with that score the odds of you passing is too low for an adcom to gamble.

I'm all for big picture thinking, god knows I need someone to look past a GPA, but quit giving people false hope. A 25 will get you an interview at DO schools if the rest is good, but you are still a long shot. AND you can't have below probably a 6 on any section realistically.

Sorry, nobody got into a us med school with a 3 in verbal, and an anonymous post on SDN doesn't make it fact.

Being URM doesn't exempt you from being able to pass the USMLE, and with that score the odds of you passing is too low for an adcom to gamble.

I'm all for big picture thinking, god knows I need someone to look past a GPA, but quit giving people false hope. A 25 will get you an interview at DO schools if the rest is good, but you are still a long shot. AND you can't have below probably a 6 on any section realistically.

I'm not giving anyone any hope. I could care less, I'm not Jesus christ the optimistic hope/savior for neurotic studentdoc forum users. I'm stating a fact that not only do I know this but it is known through out my school that they got in with crappy MCAT scores. There are some schools and I will not mention any names that accepted people with MCAT scores as low as 23 and GPAs as low as 3.02 (before you call BS on that I would suggest you go to MSAR). Please let me know how you score a 23, most likely the 23 had a 15 on the VR right? Have a great day champ

Last edited:

I don't know about the below 6 on a section thing but I will say I did not have too much trouble believing flodhi, I do know a URM who got interviews at some top 10 with a 26 and did get admitted somewhere (not top 10).