The Official 1/28/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moosen

many moose
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to start this? Studying begins in one week.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has any insight I would really love the thoughts. ok. here are the stats

OLD: 7 12 12 Q 31
NEW: 10 10 10 R 30

Personally, I feel really accomplished. Even if it didn't happen all in one test, i got great scores in all of the subjects and I feel so content. especially with my improved verbal. Now in the eyes of admission officers I can see my flaws. I wasn't able to get all of my great scores in one sitting. I'm like 97% sure I won't re-take, but do you guys have any idea how admissions officers view two scores like this? really curious to get some input! thanks!

If anyone has any insight I would really love the thoughts. ok. here are the stats

OLD: 7 12 12 Q 31
NEW: 10 10 10 R 30

Personally, I feel really accomplished. Even if it didn't happen all in one test, i got great scores in all of the subjects and I feel so content. especially with my improved verbal. Now in the eyes of admission officers I can see my flaws. I wasn't able to get all of my great scores in one sitting. I'm like 97% sure I won't re-take, but do you guys have any idea how admissions officers view two scores like this? really curious to get some input! thanks!

How far apart are the new and old tests? In the 1/29 thread, someone posted a list of schools that will take the best scores in each section. So you could have a 34 at those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! You more than deserve that score. All your posts showed you were studying your butt off and looks like TBR worked for you. Great improvement, btw.

Well, I finally got the nerve to check the scores...

Old score: 11-VR, 11-BS, 8-PS
New score: 12-VR, 13-BS, 12!!!!-PS (EFF YOU PHYSICAL SCIENCES!!! GO AWAY)

So, for those that didn't score where they wanted, there's always another test. Whether you take it 2, or 3 or 4 times. Doesn't matter. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. It clearly can be done.

That PS score...I attribute to the berkeley review's g-chem and physics books. Solid review source.

Best of luck everyone if you're rewriting or applying this upcoming cycle. Remember, it's just a test, it can be beat. Keep it real SDN.

Well, I finally got the nerve to check the scores...

Old score: 11-VR, 11-BS, 8-PS
New score: 12-VR, 13-BS, 12!!!!-PS (EFF YOU PHYSICAL SCIENCES!!! GO AWAY)

So, for those that didn't score where they wanted, there's always another test. Whether you take it 2, or 3 or 4 times. Doesn't matter. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. It clearly can be done.

That PS score...I attribute to the berkeley review's g-chem and physics books. Solid review source.

Best of luck everyone if you're rewriting or applying this upcoming cycle. Remember, it's just a test, it can be beat. Keep it real SDN.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You worked both hard and smart and earned every ounce of your great score. I must confess that I've been lurking to see how you did and am so utterly happy and proud. This phase is done for you, so go apply and become a really wonderful doctor. The medical field benefited greatly from your score improvement.

Hey guys!

13 PS, 10 V, 12 BS = 35Q

I was averaging a 34 or so, and I felt good leaving the test. Although I am surprised by biology and verbal (they should be switched!)

Thanks MCAT - it's been real.

Your story is an amazing one many people should read for inspiration when they hit a lull in this process. Congratulations on a great score and hitting your peak at the perfect time.

No, I have the lowest score, guaranteed. :mad:

original MCAT in 2005: 31P (11V, 11BS, 9PS) (up from 24, cold with no studying)

First 3 practice tests this go-round:
practice test 3: 10V, 9BS, 11PS
Practice test 10: 12V, 10BS, 7PS
Practice test 11: 10V, 11BS, 7PS
Other practices tests were 10, 11, and 12s across the board

Jan 2011 test: 25S (7V, 10BS, 8PS)

Felt really good after the exam - was expecting 31-34, but now extremely frustrated and disappointed. Cannot believe such a drop in verbal, yet such a high writing score. What happened? Test anxiety is never a problem with me!

I get to be the oldest person taking the MCAT. Again.

I sincerely hope I'm the only one in this horrible situation! Congrats to those of you who exceeded your expectations!

No, I have the lowest score, guaranteed. :mad:

original MCAT in 2005: 31P (11V, 11BS, 9PS) (up from 24, cold with no studying)

First 3 practice tests this go-round:
practice test 3: 10V, 9BS, 11PS
Practice test 10: 12V, 10BS, 7PS
Practice test 11: 10V, 11BS, 7PS
Other practices tests were 10, 11, and 12s across the board

Jan 2011 test: 25S (7V, 10BS, 8PS)

Felt really good after the exam - was expecting 31-34, but now extremely frustrated and disappointed. Cannot believe such a drop in verbal, yet such a high writing score. What happened? Test anxiety is never a problem with me!

I get to be the oldest person taking the MCAT. Again.

I sincerely hope I'm the only one in this horrible situation! Congrats to those of you who exceeded your expectations!

I'm 35 and took it. Probably would have done better if I took this test 15 years ago. I also scored a 25 9V 9B 7 P

Ended up with a 35. Adding the final score to my list:

AAMC #3: 36 - PS 13 (50/52) VR 12 (37/40) BS 11 (43/52)
AAMC #4: 38 - PS 14 (51/52) VR 13 (37/40) BS 11 (43/52)
AAMC #5: 37 - PS 13 (49/52) VR 12 (36/40) BS 12 (45/52)
AAMC #7: 35 - PS 12 (46/52) VR 11 (33/40) BS 12 (45/52)
AAMC #8: 38 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 11 (33/40) BS 13 (47/52)
AAMC #9: 39 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 12 (36/40) BS 13 (49/52)
AAMC #10: 37 - PS 14 (50/52) VR 10 (33/40) BS 13 (47/52)
AAMC #11: 38 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 10 (30/40) BS 14 (49/52)

Actual MCAT: 35 - PS 12 VR 11 BS 12

A little disappointed considering I only had one practice test this low. Granted, 35 is a great score but I'm applying for MD/PhD programs as well as MD so the standards are a little higher.

I'm considering retaking it because I feel like I can boost my score by a few points - I lost several minutes on the PS section due to defective writing utensils and had to rush through it and randomly guess on one question. I think it would be very unlikely that I do worse than a 35...

I have actually decided not to retake my 32 (11, 10, 11) even though my GPA is low. My premed advisor advised against it and suggested that I focus on my GPA and volunteer activities. I don't think I will have any time this semester to focus and study for the MCAT--so it's best not to waste time and also let my GPA dip in the process.

I am going to go ahead and apply broadly this June with this MCAT score and see if I have any luck. If not, I will take a couple of months off after I graduate in December to retake the MCAT. Also, I will keep taking science classes to try and raise the GPA.

Good luck to all!

Ended up with a 35. Adding the final score to my list:

AAMC #3: 36 - PS 13 (50/52) VR 12 (37/40) BS 11 (43/52)
AAMC #4: 38 - PS 14 (51/52) VR 13 (37/40) BS 11 (43/52)
AAMC #5: 37 - PS 13 (49/52) VR 12 (36/40) BS 12 (45/52)
AAMC #7: 35 - PS 12 (46/52) VR 11 (33/40) BS 12 (45/52)
AAMC #8: 38 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 11 (33/40) BS 13 (47/52)
AAMC #9: 39 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 12 (36/40) BS 13 (49/52)
AAMC #10: 37 - PS 14 (50/52) VR 10 (33/40) BS 13 (47/52)
AAMC #11: 38 - PS 14 (49/52) VR 10 (30/40) BS 14 (49/52)

Actual MCAT: 35 - PS 12 VR 11 BS 12

A little disappointed considering I only had one practice test this low. Granted, 35 is a great score but I'm applying for MD/PhD programs as well as MD so the standards are a little higher.

I'm considering retaking it because I feel like I can boost my score by a few points - I lost several minutes on the PS section due to defective writing utensils and had to rush through it and randomly guess on one question. I think it would be very unlikely that I do worse than a 35...

Hey for what its worth I'm applying MD/PhD with a 36 (practice scores were 36-41 average 39, 4 of my scores were 40+). Like you I was momentarily disappointed with how I performed relative to my AAMC scores, however at the 35-6 level the MCAT will not be keeping us out of any programs. At that point people will be considering the rest of our applications, especially our research involvement. I wouldn't waste anymore time on the MCAT, even though like you I'm fairly certain I would not make any lower than my score if I were to retake. If you are trying to make up for a somewhat low GPA then that's another story, but otherwise I would just move on.

Take care, and good luck with whatever you decide.

however at the 35-6 level the MCAT will not be keeping us out of any programs. At that point people will be considering the rest of our applications, especially our research involvement. I wouldn't waste anymore time on the MCAT, even though like you I'm fairly certain I would not make any lower than my score if I were to retake. If you are trying to make up for a somewhat low GPA then that's another story, but otherwise I would just move on.

This is an excellent, and incredibly valid point. We've got to learn to stop worrying about the numbers so much and realize that it's not our whole application. The numbers just get your foot in the door.

For those who made 30+, congratulations on your success. You guys deserve it. :) Please consider sharing your tips on the 30+ thread.

For those who didn't get the score they wanted, don't give up! :xf:

Hey for what its worth I'm applying MD/PhD with a 36 (practice scores were 36-41 average 39, 4 of my scores were 40+). Like you I was momentarily disappointed with how I performed relative to my AAMC scores, however at the 35-6 level the MCAT will not be keeping us out of any programs. At that point people will be considering the rest of our applications, especially our research involvement. I wouldn't waste anymore time on the MCAT, even though like you I'm fairly certain I would not make any lower than my score if I were to retake. If you are trying to make up for a somewhat low GPA then that's another story, but otherwise I would just move on.

Take care, and good luck with whatever you decide.
So my boyfriend ended up getting a 34Q on the 1/28 MCAT when he was averaging about a 38 on his practice tests. He has a 3.87 and wants to apply MD/PHD and is trying to decide whether or not to retake it. He probably will get REALLY good LORs and has above average extracurriculars, i think.

Do you guys think a 34 will really decrease his chances?

I told myself I wouldn't retake as long as I made above a 35 and thats what I did, barely. I'm not sure what I would do with a 34. The people on the MD/PhD forum would probably advise him NOT to retake unless he is absolutely certain he could get a significantly higher score. If the rest of his app is in order, and he applies on applying broadly without being region or school restricted, I would lean towards not retaking it, I think.

Keep on chugging... retaking it May 20. My practice sections are now 12-13's! it has to improve, right! Stay positive!

In the same boat. FL average: 34-38. Actual: 35S with low verbal (8). Felt so defeated, but have decided to move one. Hopefully the S will compensate by abysmally low V.