The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC 10: 38
AAMC 11: 39
Highest (AAMC 4): 41
Average (all 8 AAMCs): 38.5
4/28/12: 12/11/13 = 36Q

I can honestly say I'm disappointed, but I guess when I take into consideration the fact that I haven't taken the prereq courses in 6-7 years, I'll live. I just hope this is enough.

I'm contemplating making a "my experiences" topic for you guys in the June 21st. It's not much but what else to expect?

Also well done scruffy! Wow!!

I was thinking this too but I think we can do this in our 30+ thread posts.

Also, to everyone who didn't get their goal: keep your head up! We know this test is a beast but put in the extra effort and you'll get where you want to go! Good luck to everyone

AAMC 10: 38
AAMC 11: 39
Highest (AAMC 4): 41
Average (all 8 AAMCs): 38.5
4/28/12: 12/11/13 = 36Q

I can honestly say I'm disappointed, but I guess when I take into consideration the fact that I haven't taken the prereq courses in 6-7 years, I'll live. I just hope this is enough.

LOL@ people whining about 35+ MCAT scores..... man this is one hella whiny thread no joke

Members don't see this ad :)
After having a 28.75 AAMC average (with my highest score being a 32), I got a 34R! 11/12/11!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I AM DYING OF JOY.

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted!

Same here...avg AAMC practice was 29 (#3- 27, #4 - 27, #5 -31, #9 - 31, #10 - 30 # 11- 28) and ended up with a 33Q (11 VR, 10 PS, 12 BS) on the real thing. Always wish it was higher, but I'm not going to complain. Sometimes you just need the pressure of the real thing to do well.

My GPA is a little low but I've been out of school for 6 years now so I'm hoping they'll cut me a little slack.

31 R (guess they liked the Jersey shore)
verbal killed me which is weird because i have always done really well. Damn you Al Gore and your Inconvenient Truth essays..)
8VR 12PS 11BS

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES **** YOU AAMC AVERAGES!!!

hsSef.png

Haha, we're never going to hear the end about this :)

I hope I come close to how well you did. Congrats.

Good Job to everyone! If you didn't score what you wanted, keep your head up! You can do this!

How did you guys feel after the Bio section compared to what you got on the test. Are you surprised?

This poster has been rejected 24 times (including repeats) with a 35+ MCAT score: care to try again?
Now this is me: :confused:

How did you guys feel after the Bio section compared to what you got on the test. Are you surprised?
I was the most comfortable in Bio. I was super angry at the microscopic discretes, but for the most part it felt like AAMC 10 and 11. If you can handle the Ebola passages and whatever it was hardest on 10 you'll be fine. It wasn't a lot of passage based questions IIRC, you did have to know your ****. I was moderately comfortable.

LOL@ people whining about 35+ MCAT scores..... man this is one hella whiny thread no joke

It's possible to be satisfied but disappointed at the same time...when you score at/below your average, regardless of what that average was, you feel like you didn't do as well as you could have...it's not "gunner" to think that, regardless of if your average was in the 40s, 30s, or 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible to be satisfied but disappointed at the same time...when you score at/below your average, regardless of what that average was, you feel like you didn't do as well as you could have...it's not "gunner" to think that, regardless of if your average was in the 40s, 30s, or 20s.

exactly, it's hard to be thrilled with 1.5pts below aamc avg, regardless of that average

it's not "gunner" to think that, regardless of if your average was in the 40s, 30s, or 20s.

Normally I'd agree with you, but what type of person says 37S isn't strong, even for MD/PhD? SRSLY?

:thumbup:

Not all applicants with 35+ MCAT scores get accepted (let alone accepted to their school of choice). Proof: *waves*
It wasn't because of your MCAT score. Even a 28 is enough to get accepted to an MD program. I guarantee you it was because some other aspect of your application was lacking like LORs, clinical experience/shadowing, or you just interviewed poorly. You remind me of one of my friends who got a 31 and is still convinced it's the entire reason he got waitlisted at all his schools (which aren't even very high up) despite the fact that he has zero clinical experience or shadowing hours.

Put another way: A low MCAT score may preclude you from any hope of admission, but even a score in the 40s won't necessarily get you accepted.

I've been lurking. Scared to post in case I bombed it. Got my score and decided to post anyway... hopefully for moral support :(

before studying, diagnostic: 32
aamc average: 36.5
aamc lowest: 35
aamc lowest individual section scores: 12 vr, 11 ps, 12 bs

actual: 33Q (11vr, 10 ps, 12 bs) !!!!!!!!!

(side note: took the MCAT in 2004 but did not study well and was sick with a long-term illness, scored 32R, 13vr, 9 ps, 10 bs) This year, I studied really hard!

Both of my grandfathers (one of whom I was the primary caregiver for) died in early April, and I spent the month planning funerals and memorial services and stopped studying.

I'm non-trad and worked really hard studying from December to March, 35 hours/week. I am a high school biology and chemistry teacher, so I have no excuses except bad test day performance and a distracted mind due to the family stuff. The calculations on PS murdered me and VR must have been a fluke thing.

Very disappointed and lost. Don't want to re-take, but I was shooting for a few high-tier schools based on my other stats/academic history (3.88 GPA, M.A. in humanities from top 10 school, 1520/1600 GRE score, multilingual, healthcare nonprofit employment). Don't think I have the time or energy to re-study like I did earlier this year (I work 60 hours/week) and afraid that score won't go up enough to make it worth it.

Suggestions? If I decide not to re-take, should I throw in a side note somewhere about my family situation the month of this MCAT?

Thank you for your honest opinion! Solidarity with the disappointed people... And congrats to everyone who achieved their goal, or at least their AAMC average ;)

exactly, it's hard to be thrilled with 1.5pts below aamc avg, regardless of that average

This is understandable if your real score is in the low 30s or below, and maybe the mid 30s. However, once you're in the upper 30s the difference between each successive point on the MCAT is typically one or two questions, so really the score differences at that level are meaningless. This is further confirmed by the fact that a 38 is 99th percentile, meaning that there's really no practical difference at all between a 38 and a 45, especially when you consider the how large the differences in percentiles between other scores are.

Exactly, a 34 is okay, but it's still 4pts below my average. And I have to compensate for a low gpa: 3.5. I feel for anyone whose scores do not reflect their potential.

That said, I'm happy for you peeps who beat your average, esp typicalindian and pfaction, couldn't have done it without you guys.

It wasn't because of your MCAT score. Even a 28 is enough to get accepted to an MD program. I guarantee you it was because some other aspect of your application was lacking like LORs, clinical experience/shadowing, or you just interviewed poorly. You remind me of one of my friends who got a 31 and is still convinced it's the entire reason he got waitlisted at all his schools (which aren't even very high up) despite the fact that he has zero clinical experience or shadowing hours.

Put another way: A low MCAT score may preclude you from any hope of admission, but even a score in the 40s won't necessarily get you accepted.

LOL, hopefully no one is naive enough to believe a mid30s+ MCAT score isn't sufficient, least of all me. My only point was that "people whining about getting 35+ scores" aren't all in the same position. If you're aiming for a Top 10 program, looking MD/PhD, aiming to make up for slight deficiencies in other areas, or just simply averaged higher than your real-deal final score, you have every right to be a little on the disappointed side!

Last edited:
Did those of you that scored low on VR feel bad about verbal after you took the test? Or were you pretty confident that you did well?

So Im at a 30.. but its a 12 P, 12 B, and a... 6 V. Should I re-take it? I got feedback that a 6 will get me prescreened out, but does that really happen? My extra curriculars are great and GPA is decent

Amazed and surprised. I was expecting a 24 and I got a 27P with an even distribution 9/9/9. Too bad I decided not to go to med school after all. I think I would have done well on a retake.

Congrats to everyone out there who got the score they wanted and good luck to those who decide to retake.

So Im at a 30.. but its a 12 P, 12 B, and a... 6 V. Should I re-take it? I got feedback that a 6 will get me prescreened out, but does that really happen? My extra curriculars are great and GPA is decent

A 6 on any section is too low. At many schools the 10 percentile is an 8, even a 7 is pushing it unless you're a URM or in the case of VR it's your second language. You're going to have to retake unless you're applying to do schools but they would question the 6 too. Some schools will reject you so bad they might not even send a rejection letter, it happened to my friend from multiple schools who scored a < 8 on the VR couple years ago. Now a days the competition is even rougher.

Not too happy about it. I got the lowest verbal I've ever gotten (incuding diagnostic). I averaged 9.5 in VR during all my AAMC's and other materials, with the occasional outstanding score, and never under 8 (which I only got once) but I was not able to deliver VR on test day. I'm starting to think I maybe skipped a passage, in any case:

11PS 7VR 11BS : 29

should I retake? Please some input.

I.m happy about BS though, with 2 orgo passages and more discretes I really thought I had bombed it. I did not really go over orgo like I should have to at all.

Last edited:
Retaking. FML

34M (11/11/12)

I need a 38+ to compensate for my low gpa and lackluster EC's. Just signed up for an August test date. Bleh

Congrats to everyone who reached their target scores!!!!!

Not too happy about it. I got the lowest verbal I've ever gotten (incuding diagnostic). I averaged 9.5 in VR during all my AAMC's and other materials, with the occasional outstanding score, but I was not able to deliver VR on test day. I'm starting to think I maybe skipped a passage, in any case:

11PS 7VR 11BS : 29

should I retake? Please some input.

I'm in the same boat. Good sciences, bad verbal. Going to retake June 21st. Are you also a Texas resident? I would retake ASAP. Stupid ass TMDSAS opened up so early.

:( What do you mean "never hear the end of this"? And I'm positive you will do very well. You've been working extremely hard these past few months :thumbup:

Haha, you're just very vocal. I was joking though.

Thanks for the good vibes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Happy that you can uncross yours.

Time to buy some Andre and start the party. I feel like a 6 year old with no homework.

Seriously tonight is a night off. Even after learning I have to complete two and a half essays, screw it: I NEED IT!

That said, I'm happy for you peeps who beat your average, esp typicalindian and pfaction, couldn't have done it without you guys.

oh-stop-it-you-picsay.jpg

Hey everyone quick questions.

VR:10
PS:8
BS:8

It's kind of a low score. I have a 3.77 GPA and ok ExtraCurric. I signed up for summer classes (I'm taking developmental bio). Should I drop this class and study for a retake MCAT in July?

30 Q
ps 9
bs 10
verbal 11

aamc 11 was a 26 :/ but my average for all of them was a 29.7 I believe so the average was right on the money....wish I could have done better in PS but ill take an 11 in verbal!!!

Congrats to everybody for doing so great on their 4/28 Mcats... I will be taking my MCAT tomorrow 5/31 and am freaking out anybody have some last minute suggestions.....Such as things I should def have memorized or make sure I look at and understand in order to do as well as you guys...... How important is memorizing physics equation? how important is memorizing all bio concepts.... Thanks in advanced for ur help

(disclaimer I am NOT asking you to reveal any real MCAT questions)

Our MCAT had specific ass discretes. Make sure you remember oddities and everything. Passages were handle-able but time moves SO FAST make sure you're not lingering on anything. I posted in 6/21 about my experiences. Math oriented for sure, and I was so sure I got so many wrong...guess not. BS is "BS". Meh.

Our MCAT had specific ass discretes. Make sure you remember oddities and everything. Passages were handle-able but time moves SO FAST make sure you're not lingering on anything. I posted in 6/21 about my experiences. Math oriented for sure, and I was so sure I got so many wrong...guess not. BS is "BS". Meh.

What oddities are you speaking of???? so basically ur saying memorize everything lol

Congrats to everybody for doing so great on their 4/28 Mcats... I will be taking my MCAT tomorrow 5/31 and am freaking out anybody have some last minute suggestions.....Such as things I should def have memorized or make sure I look at and understand in order to do as well as you guys...... How important is memorizing physics equation? how important is memorizing all bio concepts.... Thanks in advanced for ur help

(disclaimer I am NOT asking you to reveal any real MCAT questions)

During the tutorial time I wrote down every single equation and mnemonic I could think of on my scrap paper so that I wouldn't have to think about them when I read a question. I tried to group them by topic so I could just scan the sheet and then plug everything in and not have to worry about remembering the equation on the spot. This helped me so much with my timing on the PS!