The Official 03/28/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8mile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I'm taking the MCAT on this day, and no one has started a thread for this date yet, I'm starting one.

May the MCAT god be with us!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone take the 1/31 (or was it 1/30) whichever was the really hard one, and then subsequently also take the 3/28? i'm curious to see the scores of those who took both (but did not void either obviously)

I am mad scared. I've been thinking though, even if I DO have to retake, I'm graduating in about a week, so studying for this test won't be so bad since I won't have anything else going on.

But still, I don't want to go back to the cave again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also graduating (IN ONE WEEK!).
I'm really hoping to do well, because I am not taking the test again.
This is the second time I've taken it and I do feel like I've improved.

Also, I really want to have my application out as soon as possible so taking another MCAT and waiting for scores is just not an option for me..

Here's a great question:
Is anyone else on this thread graduating and taking a year off before med school, (and has anyone already taken a year off)?--- How did you / are you going to spend this time?

Well, after I graduate, I plan on taking it easy for the year. I'll travel, read books, play videogames, hang out with friends and family, and maybe get a part-time job.

I know that sounds like an awesomely-lazy bum way to spend a year, but the way I look at it, it's the last year of my life before it all goes crazy and I won't be able to do the things I want as much until I'm 65. Besides, I won't be TOTALLY lazy. I'll be dealing with secondaries and interviews and all that jazz! (iA)

This is assuming I won't have to study for the MCAT. If I do, I'll be doing the same thing except form April 29th - June 17th I'll be studying for the MCAT again.

I told my little sister to look up my score FOR me, and to just not tell me if it's below a 30. of course, if she doesn't tell me my score, I'll know I got below a 30... and ignorance won't exactly be bliss in that case.

I have to say, I feel even more freaked out knowing a couple people on here "felt great" after the 3/28 test. It just confirms how I felt during the test- I felt the questions were do-able, but just wasn't able to pull myself together to tackle them. My lowest AAMC practice test was a 31, and I sincerely don't think I broke a 10 in PS or BS on the real thing. I was so upset after PS that I'm worried I blew VR, too. WHERE ARE THOSE @#*#!&#$*# SCORES?!??

Here's a great question:
Is anyone else on this thread graduating and taking a year off before med school, (and has anyone already taken a year off)?--- How did you / are you going to spend this time?

I took time off. I graduated in 2006 and did Teach for America. Now I'm bartending. I applied for the 2008 cycle and didn't get in, had to take the 3/28 MCAT (expired scores, garr) and am doing shadowing/volunteering which was what I was lacking last time.

Just a little reminder, we haven't had any issues yet (which is amazing and we are awesome) but if you post that scores are up, and they aren't I will have the distinct honor of placing your account on a little Post Hold. Read the Stickys please.

Here's a great question:
Is anyone else on this thread graduating and taking a year off before med school, (and has anyone already taken a year off)?--- How did you / are you going to spend this time?[/quote]

I graduated last may (2008) and spent the summer working in a lab, and now I work in R&D for a medical device company

hey everyone,

please post your AVERAGE AAMC SCORES, too, with your real score so the rest of us can see how the AAMC predicted your real score!

so like:

AVERAGE AAMC:
PS: 10
VR: 10
BS: 10

REAL MCAT:
PS:
VR:
BS:

thanks!

from what i remember even if they release scores a day early they won't come out until 5pm est, that's when they were released when i first took it

Members don't see this ad :)
13 V, 13 B, 11 V
R on Writing.

WELL exceeded my AAMC's which were 29-33 range.

YESSSS!!!! Good luck everybody!

13 V, 13 B, 11 V
R on Writing.

WELL exceeded my AAMC's which were 29-33 range.

YESSSS!!!! Good luck everybody!

HOLY **** DUDE WTF WTF HAHAHAAHAHHA. wow man, congrats! you are among a small minority of test takers. BARELY ANYONE SCORES 5 PTS ABOVE THEIR AAMC AVERAGES, ESPECIALLY WITHIN THE RANGE YOU WERE IN. WOW.

i'm seriously in awe. you just made my day and i don't even know you ahaha. i'm rdy to rape my MCAT this week!!!!!

I got a 30Q! nothing spectacular, but i'll take it considering how ****ty I felt.

PS - 9
VR - 9
WS - Q
BS - 12

after more scores come in, you guys will realize how stupid you were the day you finished your test and were freaking out for no reason!!

Congrats, I don't need to tell you that's an amazing score

You mind sharing your practice averages?

Sure, I think I averaged out to about a 37 (throwing out my first 3 scores - a 29, 35, and 33, because I hadn't done my full content review yet.)

My BS was never that high. Always an 11 or 12, but my PS was always a 13 and I got an 11, so it all averaged out.

37S!!! thats awesome!

PS: 14
VR: 11
BS: 12
W: S

AAMC averages:
PS: 12.2
VR: 10.5
BS: 12.7

very excited, curve definitly helped

I have been following this thread even though I took the MCAT on 4/18 and I just have to say that I am blown away by the scores posted so far! GREAT JOB!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I got a 31Q. V11 B10 P10

Considering that I thought I completely bombed Physics and thought the test in general was much harder than the AAMC, I'm very happy. Having said that, my AAMC average was probably 33-34, so I think I'll retake in June. At least I'm mentally prepared and I have more confidence now! And, I know that the curve really can help a lot!

34R

12 P
10 V
12 B

I'm a little disappointed, especially in verbal - verbal's always my highest. I think I'd given myself delusions of grandeur during the long wait for scores. Oh well.

Average AAMCs:

BS: 11

Actual:

PS: 8 :(
WR: Q

Is that 8 going to hurt me come application time?

34R

practice average: 35ish PS12.5, V11.5 BS11.5
real test PS 11, V12, BS 11

So....not too much different from my practices, though on the low end. I was definitely consistently scoring about 12-13s on PS for my practices, so I'm slightly disappointed about that one

I was averaging 39-40 myself on the practices, but I was fairly traumatized during the test.

Seriously, PanicAttack, that score increase is effing phenomenal!! CONGRATS!

By the way, I am very happy to see that my obsessive-compulsive F5-ing of the THx screen actually came in handy, instead of just driving me crazy. Although the actual scene went more like this:

Me: *refresh* Damn. *refresh* Damn. *refresh* Damn.
Roommate: Haha, you're going to wear that button out.
Me: But I'm bored. *refresh* Damn. *refresh* OH MY GOD, THERE'S TEXT!

And then I minimized the screen in a blind panic while my roommate laughed hysterically.

I guess I spoke too soon when I said I'd be happy with a 29!

P: 9
V: 10
B: 10
W: Q

Total: 29Q

AAMC avg :
P: 8.7
V:12.5
B: 11.9

I really wish I would have gotten less than 27 that way I could be sure about retaking, instead of a 29 where I'm right on the borderline. I think I'll prob. retake.

wow i hate myself right now....

So AAMC Practice Tests: (I was getting between 33-36 on each test)
PS: 12
VR: 10

Real thing:
VR: 9

29Q....I did far below my average as i figured since that test was so completely different from the practice tests....-_-....I dont want to retake this **** but I almost feel like I have to...why couldnt I have just gotten a little higher in any of the subjects. I knew my verbal was a 9 but having a BS and PS of 10 is dissapointing such a failure:mad:

Last edited:
AAMC average: 35

Real thing:

VR: 8

writing: R

wtf verbal. and i get an R in writing? oh well i would have been happy with a 28. Do you guys think that 8 will hurt me much for in state schools? (texas)

Elijah looks like you and I are MCAT twins. I'm in the same boat - I feel like I should retake it but I'm not 100% sure yet...

AAMC average: 35

Real thing:

VR: 8

writing: R

wtf verbal. and i get an R in writing? oh well i would have been happy with a 28. Do you guys think that 8 will hurt me much for in state schools? (texas)

For Tx i think you would possibly be ok since they are so interested in only taking their own residents but, an 8 in verbal is somewhat of a red flag. Ive always been told if you want to do bad hope its on the PS, as BS and especially verbal are where you want the best scores.

Elijah looks like you and I are MCAT twins. I'm in the same boat - I feel like I should retake it but I'm not 100% sure yet...

Im not retaking unless i fail this application cycle because honestly...the MCAT is such a beast it killed my life, i ****ing know I can do much better its just that damn test was so much harder and different then the real thing...who studies cladograms and other obscure topics...PR told us not to even look at these topics and in the end it owned me....I hate PR even more now. Ill probably just go and restructure my school list removing **** like columbia and mt sinai and the likes, they will prolly rofl at my application with a 29 mcat. Good thing I bought a new bottle of jack daniels today...time to go hit that up. :mad:

I dont know because i was always told they mostly lookat BS scores. And that WS and VR correlate, I think it was low because I had a song stuck in my head. Damn you, Decemberists! But with a 4.0 you think it will be ok?

I dont know because i was always told they mostly lookat BS scores. And that WS and VR correlate, I think it was low because I had a song stuck in my head. Damn you, Decemberists! But with a 4.0 you think it will be ok?

WS and verbal dont correlate 90% of schools dont even look at your writing score grade but are very interested in your verbal. With a 4.0 and TX residency I say your probably fine assuming the rest of your application is in check. A 4.0 and 30 mcat is nothing to scoff at I wouldnt worry a whole lot!:D