The moral implication of owning a mobile home park

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and it seems like the Supreme Court has affirmative action in their sights which will seal the deal in making systemic racism a thing of the past in America.

Was this supposed to be a tagged as sarcastic? There are plenty of places where racism is not only alive and well in America, but where it is physically UNSAFE for african americans to even walk after sundown. Because, you know, they're black. Cop abuse is rampant, reference: You Tube. Subtle racism and anti-semitism is also present in many aspects of American life. Wealth inequality is at an all time high, and we know how that story ultimately ends when greed removes too many social services nets and the lowest tier decides "hey screw it there's nothing left to lose."

Members don't see this ad.

Was this supposed to be a tagged as sarcastic? There are plenty of places where racism is not only alive and well in America, but where it is physically UNSAFE for african americans to even walk after sundown. Because, you know, they're black. Cop abuse is rampant, reference: You Tube. Subtle racism and anti-semitism is also present in many aspects of American life. Wealth inequality is at an all time high, and we know how that story ultimately ends when greed removes too many social services nets and the lowest tier decides "hey screw it there's nothing left to lose."

So many inaccuracies and Anti-American rhetoric in one post I am not even sure where to begin. Racism in any significance was long dead in America but unfortunately, we had a leader in power for 8 years pushing divisive Anti-American rhetoric while falsely telling people they are being acitvely oppressed. AS for the safety of streets at night for certain races there are places where it is unsafe for both white and black Americans to walk at night but that doesn't mean racism exists in any significance. Look at that creator of Cash App, nice young white fellow just stabbed to death in San Fran at night. Because he was killed does it mean the system is rigged against him? What you are pushing here are conspiracy theories and very dangerous ones that can be linked to the recent rise of alt left extremism and terrorist hate groups like blm/antifa.

As for police officers those people are out there putting their lives on the line on a daily basis. Abuse AGAINST police officers is rampant and unfortunately on the rise, as a psychiatrist who specializes in military, police, first responders, etc I see more and more officers on a daily basis. It's heartbreaking to see what these officers have to deal with on a daily basis because of propaganda.

As for "wealth inequality" of course not everyone is going to achieve at the same level in America, people have different work ethic and different goals. There isnt a single policy in place besides legal Affirmative Action which makes college admission a little more difficult for my Asian/Indian/White brothers and sisters however success is still so easy in this nation it doesn't matter that much. As for "social service nets" its not the government's responsibility to take care of those who are too lazy to care for themselves, nor is it my tax dollars responsibility. All these so called safety nets do is discourage upward mobility and promote the victim mentality.

Come to my home nation of Cameroon or go to India to see some real wealth inequality, we are blessed to be here. This is the greatest nation in the world.

So many inaccuracies and Anti-American rhetoric in one post I am not even sure where to begin. Racism in any significance was long dead in America but unfortunately, we had a leader in power for 8 years pushing divisive Anti-American rhetoric while falsely telling people they are being acitvely oppressed. AS for the safety of streets at night for certain races there are places where it is unsafe for both white and black Americans to walk at night but that doesn't mean racism exists in any significance. Look at that creator of Cash App, nice young white fellow just stabbed to death in San Fran at night. Because he was killed does it mean the system is rigged against him? What you are pushing here are conspiracy theories and very dangerous ones that can be linked to the recent rise of alt left extremism and terrorist hate groups like blm/antifa.

As for police officers those people are out there putting their lives on the line on a daily basis. Abuse AGAINST police officers is rampant and unfortunately on the rise, as a psychiatrist who specializes in military, police, first responders, etc I see more and more officers on a daily basis. It's heartbreaking to see what these officers have to deal with on a daily basis because of propaganda.

As for "wealth inequality" of course not everyone is going to achieve at the same level in America, people have different work ethic and different goals. There isnt a single policy in place besides legal Affirmative Action which makes college admission a little more difficult for my Asian/Indian/White brothers and sisters however success is still so easy in this nation it doesn't matter that much. As for "social service nets" its not the government's responsibility to take care of those who are too lazy to care for themselves, nor is it my tax dollars responsibility. All these so called safety nets do is discourage upward mobility and promote the victim mentality.

Come to my home nation of Cameroon or go to India to see some real wealth inequality, we are blessed to be here. This is the greatest nation in the world.

I am guessing you're a troll. Your opinions are all clearly one-sided, and while perhaps some may be correct/valid, they demonstrate no understanding whatsoever of anyone other than your own personal opinions.

Safety nets do more than "discourage upward mobility and promote the victim mentality." Yes, we can argue they do that to some degree, and perhaps the US has too many (or too little) safety nets--that's a valid argument. But there are people in society who literally cannot take care of themselves, due to mental and/or physical health. It has been this way since the dawn of time. And since then, those people have relied on cruel competition/crime or charity to survive. The only alternates are to put them in institutions (many would argue this is more compassionate then letting them live on the streets the way they do) or execute them the way the Nazis (and many other societies) did. Clearly none of us want to be the Nazis as one thing everyone agrees on is they were the bad guys.

Systemic racisim is clearly still present, even if less so than "the old days." My city, a predominately liberal, white, well-educated city in CA (where slavery was never legal) is just now getting around to removing racist/exclusionary language in deeds/trusts that were intended to limit non-whites ability to purchase land. It's literally just one example, but that one example is enough to disprove your blanket statement that systemic racism doesn't exist.

Try talking to my black colleagues and neighbors, who tell me despite feeling far, far, far more welcome here than they did in the South, they still run into regular issues because of their race.

We are not perfect. Nor are we asked to. But we can, and you can, do better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing you're a troll. Your opinions are all clearly one-sided, and while perhaps some may be correct/valid, they demonstrate no understanding whatsoever of anyone other than your own personal opinions.

Safety nets do more than "discourage upward mobility and promote the victim mentality." Yes, we can argue they do that to some degree, and perhaps the US has too many (or too little) safety nets--that's a valid argument. But there are people in society who literally cannot take care of themselves, due to mental and/or physical health. It has been this way since the dawn of time. And since then, those people have relied on cruel competition/crime or charity to survive. The only alternates are to put them in institutions (many would argue this is more compassionate then letting them live on the streets the way they do) or execute them the way the Nazis (and many other societies) did. Clearly none of us want to be the Nazis as one thing everyone agrees on is they were the bad guys.

Systemic racisim is clearly still present, even if less so than "the old days." My city, a predominately liberal, white, well-educated city in CA (where slavery was never legal) is just now getting around to removing racist/exclusionary language in deeds/trusts that were intended to limit non-whites ability to purchase land. It's literally just one example, but that one example is enough to disprove your blanket statement that systemic racism doesn't exist.

Try talking to my black colleagues and neighbors, who tell me despite feeling far, far, far more welcome here than they did in the South, they still run into regular issues because of their race.

We are not perfect. Nor are we asked to. But we can, and you can, do better.

"On April 11, 1968, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968, which was meant as a follow-up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The 1968 Act expanded on previous acts and prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin, sex, (and as amended) handicap and family status. Title VIII of the Act is also known as the Fair Housing Act (of 1968)."

Sorry but whatever archaic language still in place in your local government doesn't supersede the federal protections which have long been in place prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, sex, or creed. My local government still has language prohibiting fellatio and sodomy, does that mean it's the rule of law? As for trolling I am not the one who visits a thread regarding trailer parks (predominantly occupied by Caucasians) and starts a rant based on white guilt, black fragility, and Anti-American rhetoric.

Ask yourself this. Why are so called "persons of color" the highest earning populations in States? ( Indians are highest-earning ethnic group in USA: Harsh Goenka explains why) What specific polices are in place which place them at an advantage? As physicians or aspiring physicians, we all know the hurdles that certain populations have to overcome regarding medical school admissions and affirmative action policies. I've watched the culture of my Burmese wife's family here, studies are #1 plain and simple. Every single cousin is engineer or physician, all came here with nothing.

Unfortunately, propaganda is very strong and influential. Why else would people like you throw away facts and base your beliefs on feelings instead. Don't get me wrong we will always have hateful individuals out there and their rhetoric can take hold. We saw it with Hitler and "Mein Kampf" and we are seeing it now with authors like Robin D'Angelo and "White Fragility", exactly the reason states like Florida are working so hard to keep conspiracy theories like systemic racism and holocaust denial out of our curriculum from so deranged conspiracy theories masquerading as educators. This rhetoric is dangerous, we saw $2 billion in property damage in a single summer, we saw the attacks on the Wisconsin and Oklahoma capitals, we see mass shootings each and every weekend in Chicago.

As a black immigrant I hate seeing people discouraged because of past history. We need to be building these people up, telling them America is the land of opportunity because it is. If Dr. Benjamin Carson (my personal inspiration and hero) listened to this nonsense he would have never become one of the most accomplished neurosurgeons in history.

"On April 11, 1968, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968, which was meant as a follow-up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The 1968 Act expanded on previous acts and prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin, sex, (and as amended) handicap and family status. Title VIII of the Act is also known as the Fair Housing Act (of 1968)."

Sorry but whatever archaic language still in place in your local government doesn't supersede the federal protections which have long been in place prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, sex, or creed. My local government still has language prohibiting fellatio and sodomy, does that mean it's the rule of law? As for trolling I am not the one who visits a thread regarding trailer parks (predominantly occupied by Caucasians) and starts a rant based on white guilt, black fragility, and Anti-American rhetoric.

Ask yourself this. Why are so called "persons of color" the highest earning populations in States? ( Indians are highest-earning ethnic group in USA: Harsh Goenka explains why) What specific polices are in place which place them at an advantage? As physicians or aspiring physicians, we all know the hurdles that certain populations have to overcome regarding medical school admissions and affirmative action policies. I've watched the culture of my Burmese wife's family here, studies are #1 plain and simple. Every single cousin is engineer or physician, all came here with nothing.

Unfortunately, propaganda is very strong and influential. Why else would people like you throw away facts and base your beliefs on feelings instead. Don't get me wrong we will always have hateful individuals out there and their rhetoric can take hold. We saw it with Hitler and "Mein Kampf" and we are seeing it now with authors like Robin D'Angelo and "White Fragility", exactly the reason states like Florida are working so hard to keep conspiracy theories like systemic racism and holocaust denial out of our curriculum from so deranged conspiracy theories masquerading as educators. This rhetoric is dangerous, we saw $2 billion in property damage in a single summer, we saw the attacks on the Wisconsin and Oklahoma capitals, we see mass shootings each and every weekend in Chicago.

As a black immigrant I hate seeing people discouraged because of past history. We need to be building these people up, telling them America is the land of opportunity because it is. If Dr. Benjamin Carson (my personal inspiration and hero) listened to this nonsense he would have never become one of the most accomplished neurosurgeons in history.

American Blacks who are overwhelmingly the descendants of African slaves--slaves who were intentionally kept uneducated, then once freed, kept in poverty by those in power. There is no debate there--that is history. That is the institutional/widespread cultural racism people refer to. And while some folks will truly rise by their bootstraps, it's not the norm. The few who did often found their businesses burned, land seized, and other suffering at the hands of mobs or the government that was supposed to ensure equal rights.

To compare them against Indian Americans, who are overwhelmingly arriving voluntarily, and with a strong education/good finances and thus good job prospects (many are arriving with an employer-sponsed H1B visa, and thus a paying job), is comparing apples and oranges. There is a reason that Indian Americans, Chinese Americans, Filipino Americans, Nigerian Americans, do so much better than Cambodian, Guatemalan, Syrian, Afghan etc. immigrants.

There is a valid debate over what the appropriate response, if any, is to the historical and institutional racism that existed. We can debate the ethics of different responses/solutions (or the lack of one). But there is no argument that all that existed. And if society at large adhered to the Civil Rights Act--particularly in our hearts, then we would certainly have fewer problems today. But thinking those laws fixed everything and that there hasn't been any racism since the 60's is misguided. I have quite a few friends who would love to share their stories with you to tell you otherwise. It's like saying Obergefell v Hodges ended all discrimination towards gays/lesbians. It just legalized same-sex marriage throughout the country, but it doesn't change how individual people treat gays and lesbians themselves.

This isn't all to disparage the US in particular--sadly just about every country/culture has done the exact same thing towards ethnic/religious minorities within its borders when it's convenient/beneficial--whether economically or socially/politically. But we can all do better.

I agree with you more people need to stop being lazy and work. And that hard work will pay off--it just may not pay off as much as the same hard work by someone in a luckier situation. But that is part of life--some people are born pretty/handsome, with bigger muscles, etc. Yet, if we can help even the playing field for those who are starting from the bottom, then why not? More equality would help create a happier, healthier, more harmonious society. From purely a selfish standpoint, it also makes us all more money, on average. If all my patients had insurance I'd get paid more--even if Medicare reimbursement went down! There's minimal downside to a more equitable society other than the fear of losing the money and power that we (the wealthy/powerful) have. And if history (and most major religions) are any lesson, those fears can be the doom of us.

American Blacks who are overwhelmingly the descendants of African slaves--slaves who were intentionally kept uneducated, then once freed, kept in poverty by those in power. There is no debate there--that is history. That is the institutional/widespread cultural racism people refer to. And while some folks will truly rise by their bootstraps, it's not the norm. The few who did often found their businesses burned, land seized, and other suffering at the hands of mobs or the government that was supposed to ensure equal rights.

To compare them against Indian Americans, who are overwhelmingly arriving voluntarily, and with a strong education/good finances and thus good job prospects (many are arriving with an employer-sponsed H1B visa, and thus a paying job), is comparing apples and oranges. There is a reason that Indian Americans, Chinese Americans, Filipino Americans, Nigerian Americans, do so much better than Cambodian, Guatemalan, Syrian, Afghan etc. immigrants.

There is a valid debate over what the appropriate response, if any, is to the historical and institutional racism that existed. We can debate the ethics of different responses/solutions (or the lack of one). But there is no argument that all that existed. And if society at large adhered to the Civil Rights Act--particularly in our hearts, then we would certainly have fewer problems today. But thinking those laws fixed everything and that there hasn't been any racism since the 60's is misguided. I have quite a few friends who would love to share their stories with you to tell you otherwise. It's like saying Obergefell v Hodges ended all discrimination towards gays/lesbians. It just legalized same-sex marriage throughout the country, but it doesn't change how individual people treat gays and lesbians themselves.

This isn't all to disparage the US in particular--sadly just about every country/culture has done the exact same thing towards ethnic/religious minorities within its borders when it's convenient/beneficial--whether economically or socially/politically. But we can all do better.

I agree with you more people need to stop being lazy and work. And that hard work will pay off--it just may not pay off as much as the same hard work by someone in a luckier situation. But that is part of life--some people are born pretty/handsome, with bigger muscles, etc. Yet, if we can help even the playing field for those who are starting from the bottom, then why not? More equality would help create a happier, healthier, more harmonious society. From purely a selfish standpoint, it also makes us all more money, on average. If all my patients had insurance I'd get paid more--even if Medicare reimbursement went down! There's minimal downside to a more equitable society other than the fear of losing the money and power that we (the wealthy/powerful) have. And if history (and most major religions) are any lesson, those fears can be the doom of us.

I am not claiming that systemic racism once existed in America. I am not denying that approximately 388,000 black slaves were brought here against their will primarily sold into slavery by other Africans. This situation was not exclusive to this population as 300,000 white slaves were also brought here against their will, a fact most school curriculums neglect to mention due to revisionist history. As for slavery it ended 160 years ago with the Emancipation Proclamation and systemic racism in policy has long been dead in America. 3 Generations is plenty of time to overcome any past disadvantages and with technology wealth is easier to build than ever in these United States. In what other time could I sit at home and make $2500 in a day doing remote medication refills? What a time to be alive.

I am not saying discrimination doesn't exist. We all know about the massacre of Christians in the Nashville school last week. Unfortunate incident however when you continue telling populations they are oppressed when in fact they have significant privilege in regard to corporate opportunities we will continue to see extremist attacks such as this one.

As for "equity" it exists in America in the form of opportunity. Until you stop arguing against that fact we will continue seeing unrest and violence such as the recent school shooting and the terrorist attack on the police training facility outside of Atlanta. What is your solution? Tax the top % earners more when the top 1% already pay over 40% of the federal income taxes and suffer tremendous tax inequality. Why don't you voluntarily donate a portion of your income to bring yourself closer ot the national average?

Anyways I decided against the mobile home park, seems too hard to manage. Local home builders are bringing up nice 3/2 1600 sq foot homes for around $320,000 which rent for around $2800/month. I am working on purchasing 3 of them which will bring me to 20 doors (bigger pockets crew), hoping to be at 30 doors in next 5 years then I am done and will finish paying off each unit.

I am not claiming that systemic racism once existed in America. I am not denying that approximately 388,000 black slaves were brought here against their will primarily sold into slavery by other Africans. This situation was not exclusive to this population as 300,000 white slaves were also brought here against their will, a fact most school curriculums neglect to mention due to revisionist history. As for slavery it ended 160 years ago with the Emancipation Proclamation and systemic racism in policy has long been dead in America. 3 Generations is plenty of time to overcome any past disadvantages and with technology wealth is easier to build than ever in these United States. In what other time could I sit at home and make $2500 in a day doing remote medication refills? What a time to be alive.

I am not saying discrimination doesn't exist. We all know about the massacre of Christians in the Nashville school last week. Unfortunate incident however when you continue telling populations they are oppressed when in fact they have significant privilege in regard to corporate opportunities we will continue to see extremist attacks such as this one.

As for "equity" it exists in America in the form of opportunity. Until you stop arguing against that fact we will continue seeing unrest and violence such as the recent school shooting and the terrorist attack on the police training facility outside of Atlanta. What is your solution? Tax the top % earners more when the top 1% already pay over 40% of the federal income taxes and suffer tremendous tax inequality. Why don't you voluntarily donate a portion of your income to bring yourself closer ot the national average?

Anyways I decided against the mobile home park, seems too hard to manage. Local home builders are bringing up nice 3/2 1600 sq foot homes for around $320,000 which rent for around $2800/month. I am working on purchasing 3 of them which will bring me to 20 doors (bigger pockets crew), hoping to be at 30 doors in next 5 years then I am done and will finish paying off each unit.
Ben Carson had a horrible track record with his surgery. Google it up.

He was quickly silenced by his home team after what can only be described as abysmal political chops. SNL nailed it

Ben Carson had a horrible track record with his surgery. Google it up.

He was quickly silenced by his home team after what can only be described as abysmal political chops. SNL nailed it

Similar success rate to others in the field and he was trailblazer with certain procedures. As for SNL they haven't nailed anything since the 1980s. I didn't even know it was still airing.

Similar success rate to others in the field and he was trailblazer with certain procedures. As for SNL they haven't nailed anything since the 1980s. I didn't even know it was still airing.
Lol.. Nothing since the 80s? OK boomer is my first thought but on the off chance you are younger... Wow. Just wow.

Hard right nonsense is having it's moment in the sun.. But will burn up as it always does..

Status
Not open for further replies.