The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so many of us are in the same boat, right?

We all have to take this exam, and lets be honest, it sucks. It's a roadblock and it's annoying. But we HAVE to do it, so we might as well enjoy it.

At the same time, I think having a 'support group' would be helpful. So why not post about MCAT trials/tribulations here?

Did you have an awesome study session? Grasp concept that you were having trouble with? Beast that practice test?

If so, post!

Did you have a crappy study session? Are you failing miserably at figuring out something seemingly simple? Just get frustrated at that practice exam you just took?

If so, post!

MCAT-oholics unite!

Members don't see this ad.

Could be a hundred different reasons why you scored there, most likely you are burnt out, don't put too much weight into it. What score are you shooting for anyways? Really try and analyze your mistakes for verbal, try to really understand the questions they ask and how they ask them.

Thanks, ugh I did feel a bit off during PS but thought I did better than an 11 lol. Also, i tried to do the VR a bit differently, my method that I was taught revolves around mapping and writing down only ideas. I tried to do the VR by just summarizing ideas in my head to save time. I don't think that worked though because my comprehension must have gone to crap ;/

I'm so bummed though, I was aiming for a 37 +, I have been doing quite well on the GS exams, comparing my scores in the sciences to people that have scored very well. I'm going to step up my game. I have 19 days until my MCAT, going to finish TPRH SWB, 4 more GS exams, aamc 9,10,11, the mcat surival guide, and the self assessment packages.

Man, I even thought i did better on the BS of this test ( I'm happy with a 13, but didn't thank I got 5 wrong :/)

I'm so sad guys. Postponed all this time, I took 9 FL's since the last one.

I'm averaging a 12 in GS PS and a 12 in GS BS.

I took my first AAMC (8) in over a month today and got a 32... 11/8/13

I'm screwed, verbal isn't working, I don't know what to do. I thought I did good in all the sections too...

An 11PS and 13BS are nothing to sneeze at. Esp the BS!

If you had a 10 in VR you'd be set.

This is what helped me in VR:

1) Read questions. Write down 5-6 word summary of question on scrap paper.
2) Read passage. If question relates directly to section in passage you're reading, then highlight and answer it right away.
3) Go back to reading.
4) For main idea-ish questions, highlight parts of passage as you go.
5) Go back and answer all the questions.
6) For questions already answered, do not change answer unless you have a compelling reason.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
July 14th. You'll do fine, people usually do on the average of their FL's.

I keep forgetting are you applying this cycle?

Woohoo, got a 14/10/13 AAMC9 !

I'm so happy right now

Killin' it.

I have a strong feeling I'm going to be disappointed by the scores on Tuesday, guess I can retake in late August :(

Oh hush. You'll do great. I predict that you'll have me beat.

Yup. Kasho's going to be fine.

And nabiles, just take the damn thing already :p

Killin' it.

Lmao!! I am 2 weeks yo! haha I was thinking today "man if it didn;t affect my application timing, I would totaly postpone until july 21st" hahaha the more practice the better! amiright?

T minus 2 weeks!! You'll be great, expect for the test to feel a little different, be ready for everything, use process of elimination as much as you can, make sure you answer all the questions! And we will see about me ;)

Killin' it.

Thank you :) we shall see though, don't want to get my hopes up and be crushed so prepping for a retake.

Lmao!! I am 2 weeks yo! haha I was thinking today "man if it didn;t affect my application timing, I would totaly postpone until july 21st" hahaha the more practice the better! amiright?

Haha that's what I totally thought when I signed up, but no. I took the 5/31 test but I really should have taken the 5/24. I had finished my classes around 5/15 but I really had most of my studying and full lengths done, that extra week did not help whatsoever and may have even hurt me by giving me all this free time to psych myself out.

Ahh its more like I want to be able to finish the TPRH SWB but don't think I'm going to be able to. Kasho, how were the discretes, I feel like passage extraction wise, I'm good. But sometimes, I dont know a key fact, and I was thinking discretes might be better for that?

Ahh its more like I want to be able to finish the TPRH SWB but don't think I'm going to be able to. Kasho, how were the discretes, I feel like passage extraction wise, I'm good. But sometimes, I dont know a key fact, and I was thinking discretes might be better for that?

Oh and to your earlier question, no I'm not applying till next year.

Yes the discrete questions are great for drilling in knowledge and pointing out weaknesses.

Don't worry about finishing all your material, that's what I did with Kaplan on-line stuff and it is pointless, there will always be more stuff to do.

Alrighty, I'll probably do passages for physics/bio (almost done anyways). I'll skip chem/o-chem. and I'll do all discretes =] Thanks yo! so you get your scores in 2 days?
dang...

Yes sir. Crazy. Studying for so long the mcat didn't feel real until test day and now it's starting to feel real again... real scary.

I just started studying VR today...

getting absolutely CREAMED. This is so hard... i feel bad for thinking a score of 10 was mediocre now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started studying VR today...

getting absolutely CREAMED. This is so hard... i feel bad for thinking a score of 10 was mediocre now.

But seriously getting past 10 can be a big hurdle. I'm confused though, did you take an aamc practice exam or was this just from practice problems?

Nah. You can practice too much. You want to feel some of the adrenaline on test day.

You'll be fine.

Just remember to jot down your own notes for convoluted bio passages, i.e. those involving tons of enzymes, reactions, etc. Going back to the passage wastes time. If I had done that, I think I would have scored a point higher :/

i read through EK verbal and i'm doing 101 now.

When first starting out, spend as much time as you need on each passage. Spend 15 minutes if you need it. Reread the passage until you really understand what they're talking about and most importantly WHY they are talking about it.

You'll start to get a hang of the passages and once you do, start cutting down on time for each passage. Near the end of your practice start (albeit not as accurately) trying to finish each passage in 6-7 minutes so on test day you don't feel rushed.

A-yo naibles, ima peace.

PM me with how your test goes and how you do, even if you just copy paste what you write elsewhere.

Later errybadddy!

This thread needs to be resurrected big time and I'm glad someone pulled it up.

Today, I was studying physics, got a question I understood for once, did all the calculations, circled A and then! Woosh: Answer is C!!! I'm like, wtf? Oh, look, I forgot to multiply by time. Apparently that's still important. Go me and not finishing half the problem!

I proceeded to spend three minutes rolling on my bedroom floor shouting "I can't do physics!" And I love my life for being this ridiculous.

This thread needs to be resurrected big time and I'm glad someone pulled it up.

Today, I was studying physics, got a question I understood for once, did all the calculations, circled A and then! Woosh: Answer is C!!! I'm like, wtf? Oh, look, I forgot to multiply by time. Apparently that's still important. Go me and not finishing half the problem!

I proceeded to spend three minutes rolling on my bedroom floor shouting "I can't do physics!" And I love my life for being this ridiculous.

Till you get into the swing of things, write down formulas or steps without numbers and then solve. Then the process will come naturally.

Practice away!

Till you get into the swing of things, write down formulas or steps without numbers and then solve. Then the process will come naturally.

Practice away!

Good news--I scaled to a 12 on that section. Just that one question after so much studying in a weak area left me laughing at myself. Haha.

Finals week is over for me.....But I still have MCAT studying to worry about. I am praying to the gods above for a GOOD SCORE!! I am using BR and Ek1001's series. Being optimistic at this point in hoping that this studying thing works out. I just have to keep my self motivated! Haven't studied this hard since Organic Chemistry....LOL

~May the force be with you everyone~

Finals week is over for me.....But I still have MCAT studying to worry about. I am praying to the gods above for a GOOD SCORE!! I am using BR and Ek1001's series. Being optimistic at this point in hoping that this studying thing works out. I just have to keep my self motivated! Haven't studied this hard since Organic Chemistry....LOL

Dude! I don't think I've EVER studied this hard.

Dear Finals Week,

You're killing my MCAT mojo.

Sincerely,
Me

(I'd rather study for the MCAT then revise anymore papers or study for my biochem final)

So true, studying for the mcat reminds me of orgo 1 studying.

Why does it say twitter on this thread, but nobody is tweeting? You guys are so off topic.

follow me @jlebling !!!

Alright, so many of us are in the same boat, right?

We all have to take this exam, and lets be honest, it sucks. It's a roadblock and it's annoying. But we HAVE to do it, so we might as well enjoy it.

At the same time, I think having a 'support group' would be helpful. So why not post about MCAT trials/tribulations here?

Did you have an awesome study session? Grasp concept that you were having trouble with? Beast that practice test?

If so, post!

Did you have a crappy study session? Are you failing miserably at figuring out something seemingly simple? Just get frustrated at that practice exam you just took?

If so, post!

MCAT-oholics unite!

LOL, thanks for the awesome post. This test has got the best of EVERYONE I know who's taken it, even if just for a day!! I know someone who got in a bad mood and wouldn't even talk to anyone who hasn't taken it (when mad) because they wouldn't understand, haha.

Good luck to everyone that's starting this new year ready to kick this test's butt!

LOL, thanks for the awesome post. This test has got the best of EVERYONE I know who's taken it, even if just for a day!! I know someone who got in a bad mood and wouldn't even talk to anyone who hasn't taken it (when mad) because they wouldn't understand, haha.

I do what I can.

What a day.

Plan was to go to the gym in the morning and hit the books after an early lunch.

Well, went to the gym on the air force base with a buddy who works there. His car broke down after our workout, so I got home at 4. Plan is to hit the books at 6. Might switch up some events for tomorrow so I can still get done what I wanted to.

Kicker was walking around in shorts and a hoody for 3 hours in 30 degree weather. Sorry body.

That was really nice of you to help your buddy (which I'm assuming you did you since you got home late.)

Im blasting through and reviewing some concepts on some 'less clear' areas of physics/chemistry.

i want to review bio/orgo before starting on SN2ED to boolster my understanding & confidence.
Taking the test in august!! arrrh :D

Well... after two months of full on studying last year, having to cancel due to some family problems, and a long hiatus from SDN, I am back studying for the MCAT to take in July. I know it isn't ideal, but what can I do. Life creeps in.

I have been studying for almost two weeks now and I thought that this thread offered me some help in the past so I decided to rejoin.

Nervous about having gone through some of the material already. Especially with verbal. Verbal is my weakest spot.