The lack of control of Emergency medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never said Apollyon was hyper-liberal or performatively woke.

But since you decided to challenge my assertion that there is a correlation between political affiliation and a poster's disgust or support for Veers, I should point out that I had zero sources.

My point was that it seems that Veers's biggest enemies on this site seemed to be people who oppose his views.

Now that you are challenging my references (which I didn't have or need in order to make my inference), I decided to do some more research to see if I was indeed wrong in this case.

It didn't take long to find a source.
View attachment 361182

I recognize this was a very old post, but it goes to show that maybe my assumption was more correct than you thought.

As it turns out... I'm 1 for 1 in correctly predicting political affiliation based on the way someone talks about Veers.
Almost 10 years ago, and I disenrolled from the Democratic party. I think you might want to dial it back a bit on your predictive abilities.

Moreover, you didn't see the meme, whereas I did. Extreme, bad taste, whatever. Recall Kathy Griffin and the bloody head of Pres Trump? Or, was it Sen Cruz (maybe someone else) with a photoshopped image of Rep Pelosi being murdered in some manner? It was something akin to that.

Recall this adage: "If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart, and, if you're not a conservative when you're 40, you have no brain".

Oh, one last thing. I don't delete anything I post. I stand on what I've said, and defend or agree I was wrong, if addressed down the road (as you apparently have done with my posts, with gusto). You can't parse out much with @Birdstrike , because he deleted everything that I saw he had posted that wasn't exactly his subspecialty related. I still don't understand that.

I have never had a political sign in my yard, walked door to door for signatures, or gone to a political rally. And, as I've gotten older, I've moved more to the center.

That's all well and good, and a disruption to the thread, but, I wanted to disabuse you of this notion of your "gotcha".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I never said Apollyon was hyper-liberal or performatively woke.

But since you decided to challenge my assertion that there is a correlation between political affiliation and a poster's disgust or support for Veers, I should point out that I had zero sources.

My point was that it seems that Veers's biggest enemies on this site seemed to be people who oppose his views.

Now that you are challenging my references (which I didn't have or need in order to make my inference), I decided to do some more research to see if I was indeed wrong in this case.

It didn't take long to find a source.
View attachment 361182

I recognize this was a very old post, but it goes to show that maybe my assumption was more correct than you thought.

As it turns out... I'm 1 for 1 in correctly predicting political affiliation based on the way someone talks about Veers.
I'm about as far left on the political spectrum as you can get (although I would consider myself more hard-left than performatively woke) and I think the Veers ban was some BS.

Reactions: 1 users
If he had posted in support of liberal ideas instead of conservative ones, the people here who hated and often reported his posts would have responded much differently.

I'm sure if he did the same shenanigans and slammed conservatives and republicans with every post, turning routine discussions about emergency medicine into repudiations of conservative politics, he would have been booted

I dunno why we've dedicated 50 some posts on this topic

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure if he did the same shenanigans and slammed conservatives and republicans with every post, turning routine discussions about emergency medicine into repudiations of conservative politics, he would have been booted

I dunno why we've dedicated 50 some posts on this topic

Because he's on the Mt. Rushmore of SDN EM.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure about that.

When it comes to political memes, how "distasteful" it is often depends on the political views of the audience. Hence why there are so many people here pissed he got booted. The fact you described the meme as distasteful pretty much guarantees you are on the opposite side of the political spectrum. I am confident in that assumption despite having never met you.

The people who didn't like his posts often had opposing political views, and the people who think SDN was shady as hell for booting him tended to like his posts and find them funny or informative.

You can say his ban had nothing to do with which side of the political isle he aligned until you are blue in the face, but that doesn't make it any more factual.

This is another example of "canceling" someone with opposing views.

If he had posted in support of liberal ideas instead of conservative ones, the people here who hated and often reported his posts would have responded much differently.

I agree with Birdstrike. This forum is not better without him, but it is more boring.

In fact, it kind of sucks now.
The only part that might be political was the person who reported his posts. I don't remember who reported each post but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reasoning behind at least some of the reports.

And again, it wasn't his opinions that were the problem. He was warned like 6-7 times to stop derailing threads with political arguments. I can think of several liberal posters we banned around the same time for the same sort of thing but opposite views in other parts of SDN.

You can't parse out much with @Birdstrike , because he deleted everything that I saw he had posted that wasn't exactly his subspecialty related. I still don't understand that.
I deleted 99% of them, but not the ones of publishable quality, like the ones that made it to EP Monthly/White Coat’s Call Room, or KevinMD. They’re still here.

But i honestly didn’t envision even a single person regretting them being deleted. I take it as the highest of complements that even 1 person did. Honestly. Thank you. I felt
like most of it was just burned out, disgruntled ranting. Maybe there was more to it than that.

I still thank you, for noticing my post “You can tie, you can lose, but you can never win.” That you encouraged me to publish it, altered the course of my life. So thank you.

PS. It didn’t alter the course of only my life, but of many others’. No exaggeration.

I deleted 99% of them, but not the ones of publishable quality, like the ones that made it to EP Monthly/White Coat’s Call Room, or KevinMD. They’re still here.

But i honestly didn’t envision even a single person regretting them being deleted. I take it as the highest of complements that even 1 person did. Honestly. Thank you. Most of it was just burned out, disgruntled ranting, truth be told.

I still thank you, for noticing my post “You can tie, you can lose, but you can never win.” That you encouraged me to publish it, altered the course of my life. So thank you.
Truthful, honest, and sincere. You've just paraphrased Hemingway, when he said about writing, "You just sit at the typewriter and bleed".

But i honestly didn’t envision even a single person regretting them being deleted. I take it as the highest of complements that even 1 person did. Honestly. Thank you. I felt
like most of it was just burned out, disgruntled ranting. Maybe there was more to it than that.

Damn i want to read your posts of being burned out and disgruntled. At least it will give me more peace in knowing that birdstrike was in my shoes too at one time and now look at him - a fancy pain doc 😅 i feel lately a good percentage of the negative threads on SDN regarding the fate of EM and the high burn out and terrible work environment were started by me.

Guys, can we get this back on topic? We can't control our specialty when we can't even control a thread by staying on topic.

I mean the thread is more than a year old. I have a new job, I’ve already been at my new job for a year and life is better but man EM still sucks and i wish i didn’t do it. I’m trying every thing in life to hit that golden FI number and walk away gracefully or cut down to 8-10 shifts.

I don’t know what it is anymore….i really don’t have bad volumes now, its a comfortable pace, I’m not employed by a CMG anymore either. The nights, the circadian rhythm disruption especially is just really hard. I do 12 hour shifts and have a commute, i literally don’t see my child on days that i work because she’s asleep before I’m home. I just want 200k, do telemed, 10 am to 4 pm, 4 days a week. Maybe I’m lazy now? Man i used to be so competitive and such a hard worker -_- i don’t know what happened 😅😅😅

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t know what it is anymore….I do 12 hour shifts and have a commute, i literally don’t see my child on days that i work because she’s asleep before I’m home.
Sounds like you know exactly what it is!

Damn i want to read your posts of being burned out and disgruntled.
Here’s an old burnout banger

Guys, can we get this back on topic? We can't control our specialty when we can't even control a thread by staying on topic.
I was just marveling how spectacularly out of control the “can’t control our specialty” thread went, once Veers came up

Sounds like you know exactly what it is!

Maybe. I think the circadian rhythym disruption is terrible too.

I wish i could go back to med school and whisper pm&r into the ear of my 23-25 year old self.

Full disclose: i still have no idea what those guys do.

• Haha
Here’s an old burnout banger

Your post is basically a more eloquent version of my whining.