The Importance of taking X number of units/semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that premeds should take at least 14/15 units each semester/quarter. However, I know folks that are doing just fine (in terms of grades) by taking 13 units/semester and I have a buddy (also premed) who has a part-time job and routinely takes 10, 11, and 12 units/semester (he's been working the same job since my freshman year). How significant is this factor in the admissions process? I took 13 units/semester for my freshman year because I wasn't sure as to the difficulty level of university courses and I didn't want to get in over my head. Now, I'm routinely taking 15 units/semester and I plan to keep it that way until graduation. How important is this? Also, would a few semesters at 13 units hurt one's application? Your thought would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think this has any influence. i had lots of 12 credit semesters and i got like 10 of 11 interviews so far. i really wouldn't worry about it at all.

I really don't think that the number of credits is weighed as heavily as the course selection and your perfomance in those classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple interviewers commented on my course load and selection, but its hard to tell whether it matters or not. It is probably a minor factor, but Id imagine a distinguishing one assuming equally attractive candidates.

Originally posted by Gleevec
A couple interviewers commented on my course load and selection, but its hard to tell whether it matters or not. It is probably a minor factor, but Id imagine a distinguishing one assuming equally attractive candidates.

I'm glad you responded. I remember you commented about this topic in another thread. You said something to the effect of, "Anything less than 15/16 credits per semester and you jeopardize your application." If you really want, I'll try to search for this thread and post the link to it.

A lot of people make broad generalizations that go along the lines if "if you don't/do this, you won't get in" but 99% of the time, it's based on pure speculation with no statistics to prove it.

Well, of course it depends..

a) Full-time status
b) Courseload can explain grades. Such as if you went crazy and took 20+ units in advanced science courses..

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
I'm glad you responded. I remember you commented about this topic in another thread. You said something to the effect of, "Anything less than 15/16 credits per semester and you jeopardize your application." If you really want, I'll try to search for this thread and post the link to it.

I said you want to stay above the minimum required for your school, for my school that is 16. Underloading without a decent reason is bad (sickness, personal problems, full time job, etc).

So going below without a good reason is bad is what I was saying in the other thread, going above might or might not be good is what Im saying in this thread.

Also, I searched for the thread, and couldnt find the phrase "jeapordize application" with my name attached to it, so you are most likely exaggerating my statement. It might not look good if you underload, but its by no means "jeapordizing" as you put it.

Originally posted by Alexander99
A lot of people make broad generalizations that go along the lines if "if you don't/do this, you won't get in" but 99% of the time, it's based on pure speculation with no statistics to prove it.

Statistics dont prove anything, even mdapplicants.com is a biased sample based on self-selection of successful candidates. I dont really see the point of your comment, none of us are citing statistical data or some type of certainty involved. I think it is understood when you post that you are giving an opinion, and that the opinion can be misunderstood or misrepresented in a number of ways, as BerkeleyPremed just did in mentioning a comment I supposedly made in another thread (which I cannot find). Even if I did make a claim somewhat similar to what is stated, it can easily be misintepreted as well. That's the nature of opinions and internet messageboards, and that's why I think just about everyone understands that this is just a collection of opinions rather than a scientific exercise.

I took several 12 hour semesters and one 10 hour semester. No one said anything about it. I did do all of my postbac work in a year while working fulltime and volunteering, so that might have cleared up the questions about time management that my light semesters might have raised.

Wow I sense some tension over there....

I think courseload will come into play in a scenario like the one below:

Say someone has a a borderline application but has a decent GPA. A skeptical adcom member may says, "Well this person has good GPA but look at the courseload! It's very light throughout the four years...so obviously it's easier to get a good GPA."

So a light courseload for a long period of time may not be good in a situation like this

Originally posted by HollyJ
I took several 12 hour semesters and one 10 hour semester. No one said anything about it. I did do all of my postbac work in a year while working fulltime and volunteering, so that might have cleared up the questions about time management that my light semesters might have raised.

Yeah, working fulltime seems like a VERY good reason to not take the average load. So is illness, other personal reasons, financial reasons, etc.

Just to reiterate to BerkeleyPremed, I think underloading without good reason is bad for the reasons Calbee described, while overloading might or might not be good to a significant degree.

In any case, what you end up doing is ultimately up to you and the norms of your school anyway...

Originally posted by Gleevec
Yeah, thats what our premed advisor said too.

Not quite sure why BerkleyPremed is trying to be so confrontational when I am just giving him advice, especially considering he is putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting my comments. :rolleyes:

Contrary to what you're thinking, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth or purposefully misrepresent what you said. I just vividly remember you making the comment I mentioned above in another thread. I tried to search for that thread (by just using your SDN handle), but I can't pinpoint which one it was. Regardless, I'm sure you were probably just referring to your school which means that staying above the unit minimum at your school means taking at least 15 units. I understand what you're saying and I apologize for the misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to sharpshoot anyone here...just looking for answers to my question. Thanks for your reply and have a good winter break.

Respectfully,
BP

Contrary to what you're thinking, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth or purposefully misrepresent what you said. I just vividly remember you making the comment I mentioned above in another thread. I tried to search for that thread (by just using your SDN handle), but I can't pinpoint which one it was. Regardless, I'm sure you were probably just referring to your school which means that staying above the unit minimum at your school means taking at least 15 units. I understand what you're saying and I apologize for the misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to sharpshoot anyone here...just looking for answers to my question. Thanks for your reply and have a good winter break.

Respectfully,
BP

Oh, I didnt mean to say you did it on purpose, I just meant there was a miscommunication. I too tried to find that thread and couldnt find it. Dont worry about it, just another miscommunication, happens all the time.

In any case, what I mean is that it is probably not a good idea to consistently underload if you dont have a good reason (sickness, financial reasons, full time job, etc). In terms of overloading, Im not sure if that has any significant effect on admissions at all.

Hope this clears things up and sorry for any confusion. Have a good one!

I would suggest taking around 15 credit hours. Taking 15 credit hours and getting good grades shows that you should adjust well to med school and do well when the classes and studying doubles.

Originally posted by fierce tiger
I would suggest taking around 15 credit hours. Taking 15 credit hours and getting good grades shows that you should adjust well to med school and do well when the classes and studying doubles.

Agree... Never took less than 15, and had like four semester with 18 hours. I don't know if it helps the application, but if you are double majoring ,or have a lot of minors, it cuts off an extra year.