The importance of clinical experience when applying for MSW's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych double major (deciding between the PhD/PsyD and MSW routes) and have clinical psych research experience (qualitative, so it's very human/participant-based) as well as a lot of teaching experience (I'm TA'ing three different courses this semester and TA'ed one last year). I recently finished an internship in the health care sector, and while I know a TON about health care billing and policy now (cool:cool:), it was more macro-based, which is not my goal (clinical work is).

How important is it to have clinical experience when applying to MSW clinical tracks? I'm worried this could hurt me, and while I am applying for some clinical work this year (I'm a junior), there's no guarantee I'll get it. Of course, there's the required social work senoir practicuum, but I'm worked that may not be enough. I do have a lot of volunteer work under my belt, including involvement an organization that does a lot with kids who are in a local crisis home, but it doesn't seem substantial enough, I worry, if I go the MSW route.

The other thing I have is a position as an academic support director for an organization, which involves lots of confidentiality and some minor counseling, and while that has actual been a good experience professional-skill-wise, it seems like others may not make that same leap of logic.

Any advice? Tips on getting clinical experience?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would just step in while you are wait for someone who knows what s/he is talking about. It sounds to me like you have plenty of practical experience even though it is not in a formally clinical setting. Is there an MSW program of interest that is geographically close enough you could meet with an academic counselor? You have time if correction is in order, so why not go to the source and ease your concerns?

Thanks for the reply!

I do have a lot of direct "service" experience (TA'ing, academic director) and a history of being very involved with volunteer work, but lack more traditional service experience (crisis hotline, group home, etc.), in part because my physical disability excludes me from a lot of things like group home aide... (I want to be a clinician ultimately, perhapsd first a case manager, crisis hotline person, etc., not something that involves tons of physical stuff that I could never do/would get hired for... Hence the desire to go to grad school).

I'm worried, for example, that because I've held a lot of leadership positions and did a government internship (though I think that it's one with a lot of applicability toward casework and/or any sort of things where insuirance comes into play!) that I may be type-cast as an administrative, not clinical applicant, even though clinical is where my heart is (that sounds corny but...).

I could try speaking with an advisor at my school, but our MSW program is advanced generalist and has more of an administrative focus anyway, so I'm not sure that would help. All the programs I'm considering are too far away to visit while school's in session, as I'm in a relatively isolated area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so, are you in BFE because that is where you choose to live because of life or is it a college town where you chose to live because of undergrad work? If the former, and you want to stay put, your MSW vs PsyD decision is pretty much made, yes? If the latter, check out schools of interest elsewhere and request more info. A recruiter person will follow up and once you have his/her contact information you can ask questions and find out everything you want to know.

I wish you the very best of luck to go with the talent, skill and interest you offer.

Last edited:
It's my college town (actually a big city for my state--~65,000!)--I want to work in rural-ish areas, but I'm willing to go to school whenever fits, I can afford, and where I am accepted! :) My first choice (for psych or MSW) is actually in a fairly large city, similar in size to the one where I grew up (~300,000, maybe? No idea...)

I wish you the very best of luck to go with the talent, skill and interest you offer.

Aww, thanks! :) :) :)