The House of psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandslam521

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fox is premiering its new show Mental on May 26. Apparently, the show centers around a psychiatrist who gets the "difficult" cases. Will he be the House of psychiatry? Check out the link for a synopsis of the show.

http://www.fox.com/mental/

Members don't see this ad.

With this short exposure to the show you have given me, I diagnose this show with MR-Profound.

The show could be useful in creating more awareness of mental lllness. It could have an ER effect where the applicants into residency for psychiatry dramatically go up.

But that's assuming the show will be good and have some semblence of clinical accuracy that goes beyond the occasional medical style over substance.

Members don't see this ad :)
But that's assuming the show will be good and have some semblence of clinical accuracy that goes beyond the occasional medical style over substance.
The critics so far have been less than kind. Reviews I've read have said it's lightweight fluff about an outside-the-box renegade psychiatrist straight outta Hollywood, full of quippy dialogue and all the rest. I think I read he breaks into a patients house at one point.

The critics so far have been less than kind. Reviews I've read have said it's lightweight fluff about an outside-the-box renegade psychiatrist straight outta Hollywood, full of quippy dialogue and all the rest. I think I read he breaks into a patients house at one point.

I guess they need more hot borderline chicks in there. :rolleyes:

There's not much else on TV right now, so I'll give the first episode a try. I hope it doesn't end up making the public think psychiatrists are all a bunch of quacks :laugh:.

The idea crossed my mind (as I'm sure it has for several here) on how informative and entertaining (in a non-cheap manner) a reality show based on what's seen in a psychiatry unit.

However can't be done. It violates HIPAA. If a show were done on my own unit--there is plenty of drama there. In less than 1 year there have been about 50 physical assaults, there's plenty of Cluster B drama, and very interesting stories with some of the patients. At one point it got so dangerous on the unit that some of the patients wouldn't leave their rooms without putting a laundry basket around themselves as a type of shield.

No kidding, the campus police sometimes show up to deal with agitated patients in riot gear.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/riot gear/YelCan/Pgh Peace March 2006/Image_16.jpg

There are patients on chronic wrist to waist restraints because they have in the past dangerously attacked people out of the blue on several occasions with no advance signs of agitation.
http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/hurelewrre1.html

They do some pretty interesting things such as developing a cigarette economy, have figured out how to light cigarettes using batteries (which are not restricted to them because by patient's rights they are supposed to have access to walkmen CD players).
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-a-battery-cigarette-lighter-while-in-prison-482/

Some of them get the batteries, and put them in a pair of socks, and then attempt to use that as a flail and hit someone in the head with it.
http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-flail-2605.jpg

The patients between the units teach other how to beat the system, share their opinions on doctors "oh yeah, he's the one that always gives you as much ativan as you want--try to get on that doctor's unit" etc.

Last edited:
They do some pretty interesting things such as developing a cigarette economy, have figured out how to light cigarettes using batteries (which are not restricted to them because by patient's rights they are supposed to have access to walkmen CD players)..

How do you keep them from breaking a CD and cutting themselves with it?

There's not much else on TV right now, so I'll give the first episode a try. I hope it doesn't end up making the public think psychiatrists are all a bunch of quacks :laugh:.
Let us know how it is. I'll make time to watch if it's worth it, but I'm a little dubious...

How do you keep them from breaking a CD and cutting themselves with it?

Hope & pray.

Really. Its stupid. A committee has determined which rights patients have--no matter how bad they act. Access to a CD player with CDs is one of them. I'm not kidding. So if someone breaks a CD and uses it as a weapon, oops too bad, they still have the right to a CD player & CD.

Now if a patient is agitated, they could of course have any item taken away from them, but when the agitation stops, they can get that CD player back.

I've tried--believe me I have--pretty much figuratively (not literally) bashing my head into a wall wondering who the people were in this committee & wishing they could be the one to take down an agitated patient with a broken CD.

Kinda like the 1000 other strange & idiotic rules in a state facility. E.g. a patient can go on a day pass, and the staff are convinced he's bringing back contraband, but the only thing we're allowed to do is put the person through a metal detector. As if plastic knives, cigarettes, broken glass, paper money, a wooden police billy club etc would be detected. During residency, all admitted patients had their clothes taken off, were put in gowns & their clothes were searched. However the forensic facility where people have been found NGRI or incompetent to stand trial for things such as murder, manslaughter, felonius assault, aggravated arson---these people don't get the same treatment.

Last edited:
The idea crossed my mind (as I'm sure it has for several here) on how informative and entertaining (in a non-cheap manner) a reality show based on what's seen in a psychiatry unit.

However can't be done. It violates HIPAA.

On the interview trail NYU gave out DVDs of a documentary about Bellevue psychiatry - while not a reality show it did follow a few patients through several admissions.

I don't know if anyone else watched it, but I thought it was pretty interesting.