The Gold Standard MCAT Free Science Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Free MCAT prep videos for everyone!

OK, we are sorry. We participated in each Test Prep Week that SDN has had over the years except for the last one which we missed. It was the first time that we did not have the opportunity to to give away free products to let students know that we do more than just practice exams and that we have been around for 20 years helping students prepare for the MCAT. To make up for this, for one full week, anyone who registers on mcat-prep.com or who already has an account, will get unlimited access to over 20 hours of online MCAT videos to help your review. Just click on Videos in the top Menu when you are logged in and we hope it helps. We are starting this early in the week so that you can plan your weekend!

If you are wondering which subject to review first, start with the subject you 'hate' most!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Free MCAT prep videos for everyone!

OK, we are sorry. We participated in each Test Prep Week that SDN has had over the years except for the last one which we missed. It was the first time that we did not have the opportunity to to give away free products to let students know that we do more than just practice exams and that we have been around for 20 years helping students prepare for the MCAT. To make up for this, for one full week, anyone who registers on mcat-prep.com or who already has an account, will get unlimited access to over 20 hours of online MCAT videos to help your review. Just click on Videos in the top Menu when you are logged in and we hope it helps. We are starting this early in the week so that you can plan your weekend!

If you are wondering which subject to review first, start with the subject you 'hate' most!

Good luck!

Is it ONLY for this week starting today?

Yes, the unlimited and free access to our science videos are available starting today until April 22.

Yeah, I got the e-mail and was so excited. I'm definitely going to watch the videos discussing the topics that I have trouble with.

So far, I've done the bio + verbal sections for the first three FL exams. I really like them. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey mcat prep, is there any data available for the performance of students that had completed the 10 GS verbal tests and 10 GS FL's and their subsquent scores on the AAMC's and the real exam, specifically with respect to the verbal portion?

If so, what how large is the data sample, and the correlation constant (r-value)?

Thanks,

Hey mcat prep, is there any data available for the performance of students that had completed the 10 GS verbal tests and 10 GS FL's and their subsquent scores on the AAMC's and the real exam, specifically with respect to the verbal portion?

If so, what how large is the data sample, and the correlation constant (r-value)?

Thanks,

I would like to know this too.

Thank you so much for the feedback, StudyShy. Much appreciated! =)

Thank you for being on here to answer all our neurotic questions! ;)

Thanks,

I would like to know this too.
Me three! :)

I think I read a while back on SDN someone scoring 7 on the verbal, then did all 20 GS verbal tests and ended up with a 10... can't seem to find the thread anymore though.

Thanks,

Sorry for the long answer!

No, we do not have the data in the form that you mentioned. And we do not have reliable data regarding the 10 VR individual tests which are different from the 10 VR from our 10 FL tests. {Truthfully, no one has reliable data on individual sections. Because the MCAT was shortened starting in 2007, scores from individual sections were determined to be unreliable: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/faqs/. That's why the new 2015 MCAT will have longer sections like it was in the good old days!}

However, since we started MCAT CBTs in 2001, we have informally followed hundreds of students who reported real MCAT scores an average of 3-6 points higher on the real exam as compared to their average scores of the last 'set' of GS exams that they completed. I must say 'set' because for some students that meant the last 2 exams but for others it meant the last 5 exams.

To examine individual sections reliably now becomes tricky. Of course the temptation is to say that there is a 1-2 point range across each of VR, BS and PS (from an average real MCAT performance of 3-6 points out of 45 higher than GS tests). The 'per section' score improvement is really mostly anecdotal, but the range seems about right.

You might wonder: why keep a scale that seems to be consistently off?

By the time it was clear, our reputation was already in all the forums and this version of the MCAT ends in less than 2 years. We did not want to fiddle with the scale with the risk that some students might expect higher real MCAT scores after completing GS exams. Students fear lack of confidence, examiners fear misleading students.

We are developing the 2015 scale later this summer and we will be aiming for 0-1 below each section score. The new exam is longer per section so section scores are expected to be reliable.

To not feel guilty for reading all of that, consider watching aldehydes and ketones or torques! And for me to not feel guilty about the preceding treatise, I'm going to give some advice about your notes (new thread to start within the hour! ).

Thanks for replying in a timely fashion... I think I'll purchase the 10 verbal tests and 10 fl's and see how it goes :)