The George Washington School of Medicine--Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just spoke to a woman in the fin aid office, and apparently the web site with the 2008 supplemental GW online form is not available to us yet. We should be getting information (including IDs) about filling it out in about two weeks. I guess admissions jumped the gun and sent us that link, not realizing that we don't have any way to fill out the form yet. I asked if we'd be receiving financial aid packages by May 15th, and the woman said we would get them around that time, or later.

Members don't see this ad.

I just spoke to a woman in the fin aid office, and apparently the web site with the 2008 supplemental GW online form is not available to us yet. We should be getting information (including IDs) about filling it out in about two weeks. I guess admissions jumped the gun and sent us that link, not realizing that we don't have any way to fill out the form yet. I asked if we'd be receiving financial aid packages by May 15th, and the woman said we would get them around that time, or later.

Ha... isn't it kind of pointless to get them after May 15th if you are trying to decide b/w schools?

oh really... may 15th...well i hope it is much sooner than that... i am trying to decide between schools and with gw being the most expensive one...u would think they would know this would be such a deciding factor for ppl who have choices... oh well... atleast i am super late in filling it out...

thank for all of the work and answers...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I do remember that two page doc they sent us about financial aid telling us to assume we won't be getting any institutional aid.... Here's what they wrote in that doc they emailed (they bolded the text - heh). Looks like we'll be lucky to get it before May 15th:

Applicants must be aware that GW-based aid is, unfortunately, rather limited and of a supplemental nature -- for the 38% of the students receiving this money in 2006-2007, the average award was @$14,166. (Processing for the 2007/2008 year has not yet been completed to allow us to provide this statistic for the 07/08 year.) Most students find it necessary to secure funds in addition to GW-based aid, such as federal loans and private loans and scholarships. The general rule of thumb is, you should assume you will NOT qualify for GW-based aid until you hear otherwise. Therefore, students should proceed with the loan application process.

The Office of Student Financial Assistance will review applications for GW-based aid and will send estimated awards beginning in May. An award notification will be sent via email beginning in June which will specify the amount(s) and type(s) of GW-based aid for which you are eligible. An official award letter cannot be sent until your application materials are complete.

Well, I do remember that two page doc they sent us about financial aid telling us to assume we won't be getting any institutional aid.... Here's what they wrote in that doc they emailed (they bolded the text - heh). Looks like we'll be lucky to get it before May 15th:
What do they mean by "students should proceed with the loan application process" ?? Does this just mean filling out FAFSA or are there other steps to take in order to obtain Federal Loans. Somebody please help, thanks so much. :)

What do they mean by "students should proceed with the loan application process" ?? Does this just mean filling out FAFSA or are there other steps to take in order to obtain Federal Loans. Somebody please help, thanks so much. :)

I believe what they're saying is that after you submit FAFSA, and then submit the GW Supplemental financial aid application, you should assume that you will not receive GW institutional financial aid, and thus should go forward with obtaining loans (whether they be federal or private).

Brickhouse said:
BTW, my class had an AMAZING match - Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, UCSF, Northwestern, Tufts, BU, Johns Hopkins, etc. etc. etc. - in ortho, derm, optho, urology, rads, ent....
and I'm going back to L.A.!!!

yes they did! I was so surprised - I got a hold of the google-images/facebook thing that had the pictures and the list - amazing.
congrats on matching back in CA!

d@mn this alternate list! grrrr

BTW, my class had an AMAZING match - Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, UCSF, Northwestern, Tufts, BU, Johns Hopkins, etc. etc. etc. - in ortho, derm, optho, urology, rads, ent....
and I'm going back to L.A.!!!

Yes, the class of '08 did fantastic. Congrats to all of you guys! :)

I attempted to compile a list of the matches for anyone who is considering GW and might be interested: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6445328#post6445328

Yes, the class of '08 did fantastic. Congrats to all of you guys! :)

I attempted to compile a list of the matches for anyone who is considering GW and might be interested: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6445328#post6445328

yes they did! I was so surprised - I got a hold of the google-images/facebook thing that had the pictures and the list - amazing.
congrats on matching back in CA!

d@mn this alternate list! grrrr

Thank you so much! I'm so grateful. :)

Well, I got a slight extension to get GWU's financial aid letter before making a final decision, and I'm going to fly to D.C. tomorrow night so I can do an informal second look on Monday to find out more about the health care policy track (which I'm really interested in) and what being a student there is like (I don't feel the students I met on my interview day were very representative since they'd JUST started first year when I was there in September). If anyone's around and wouldn't mind meeting up Sunday or Monday so I could talk with them about their GWU experience, please drop me a message. I realize it's pretty bad timing though - I think graduation is this Sunday, and first years will spend all day Monday in exams. And as of now, I've withdrawn from Tulane and UIC, and am holding acceptances at Loyola and GWU (at least for a couple of more days).

hey everyone... i got accepted to gw a few days ago. super pumped about the opportunity to live in dc. since i'm from so cal, i really don't know the area very well. could someone tell me which neighborhoods are nice places to live within a 5 mile radius of school? private message me if possible.

Looks like I'll be joining you guys this summer in D.C.! :hardy: As for locations, it'll be bloody expensive, but I plan to try to find a place near Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle.

So, anyone else got a dog? :D

Looks like I'll be joining you guys this summer in D.C.! :hardy: As for locations, it'll be bloody expensive, but I plan to try to find a place near Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle.

Welcome to GW, and DC! :)

I wish I had a dog...

Welcome to GW, and DC! :)

I wish I had a dog...

Thanks, tacrum! You know, if you're ever jonesing for some vicarious dog ownership, my dog is quite keen on meeting new people that enjoy throwing a ball. :rolleyes: We intend to hang out at the little dog park on 26th street near the school A LOT. :D

Here's his dogster page (stop laughing):

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/116001

Now the 2012 class will have TWO lawyers! (me being the other one of course)

Thanks, tacrum! You know, if you're ever jonesing for some vicarious dog ownership, my dog is quite keen on meeting new people that enjoy throwing a ball. :rolleyes: We intend to hang out at the little dog park on 26th street near the school A LOT. :D

Here's his dogster page (stop laughing):

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/116001

That would be cool. I definitely have experience with "vicarious dog ownership" with my brother's dog whenever I visit him.

However, his dog is a guide dog, so there's a limit to how much free time he has. :laugh:

That would be cool. I definitely have experience with "vicarious dog ownership" with my brother's dog whenever I visit him.

However, his dog is a guide dog, so there's a limit to how much free time he has. :laugh:

I miss you big T, I didn't even get a hug from you before I left. :( When are you coming back to visit Cali?? :oops:

I miss you big T, I didn't even get a hug from you before I left. :( When are you coming back to visit Cali?? :oops:

Aw. :(

Actually, I am in Cali now. I'm doing my studying for Step 1 at home. I'm a little worried because like 75%+ of my class is taking the Kaplan course. But oh well. I'm enjoying the home cooked meals and laundry service. :)

Now the 2012 class will have TWO lawyers! (me being the other one of course)

It definitely would have been a blast, but it turns out (to my complete shock) that I got into Mayo off the waitlist yesterday! Hopefully I can still find some health care policy opportunities to come to DC for, perhaps for my first summer (although I think Mayo's summer is only 5 weeks?), or for one/some of their 2 week selectives over the first two years. Perhaps we can keep in touch? It'd be great knowing another JD going through med school, even if just to compare notes and experiences.

Alas my dog won't be available for local DC rental, tacrum. Trust me, he will be more depressed than I can express that he'll be missing out on DC winters in favor of Minnesota ones! :laugh:

I'm sorry I won't be meeting you guys in August! But hopefully someone will be getting a very exciting call/email from Dean McQuail this week! Good luck to the GW waitlisters still waiting! :luck:

does anyone know how to access the online training modules? I've downloaded flash and java, have tried using chrome, Firefox, and IE. I have also used a PC and a tablet device, have accepted popups enabled cookies etc. Its like fort Knox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile