The future of PTs and PTAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With an increased demand for therapeutic services for the "baby boomer" generation there will be an increased demand for individuals to provide their services (i.e. PTs, PTAs, and PT aides.) That is the one fact we know. Everything else is a question mark. Please provide your insight.

One question is how will the shortage of suppliers (Therapists) affect their compensation and work conditions when the supply of therapists is inadequate to meet the demand of the services needed? (decrease in pay? increase patients seen with decreased time to spend with them? increased use of PTAs/aides?) From what I understand medicaid is a top financial contributor for PT services with the geriatric population which ultimately means taxpayer dollars. (please correct me if I'm wrong). This means limits to compensation from what I understand.

Another question I have regards the education requirements to attain PT and PTA licensure. If the demand for theraputic services are so high that there are not simply enough PTs and PTAs to provide those services how will this affect lisensure requirements? Will the length of school/debt be reduced to get more therapists into the workforce more quickly?

Elbrus contributed the statement on another post I began stating (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=600979) that the future of PTAs in in question. Some research has demonstrated that a lack of "quality of service" is attributed to an increased frequency of the use of PTAs. Will "quality of service" overcome "quantity of service" or will it be the other way around? What is the future for PTAs and how does their contributions affect the careers of PTs? Their compensation is not much less than DPTs but their schooling is around 25% of what the DPTs are. Is the future going to embrace the PTA position more than the DPT due to the increased demand of therapeutic services? I know when money is tight, cost has the power of being a determining factor in decision making. Which way will the pendulum swing? How much money is in medicade (taxpayers dollars) to provide reimbursement?

Another big issue is the "Stimulus Plan." How does this affect PT services in the short-term (i.e. next ten years) and in the long-term? How will it affect healthcare in general.

Below are some links discussing some issues with PTAs. Thank you Elbrus for supplying these links. I'm also interested in hearing your opinion on these questions. thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So what's the future trends of the PT profession? The APTA wants all therapists to be DPT by 2020. Is this a reality with the increasing number of people that will need therapeutic services. Will the PTA profession disappear or become more popular due to cheaper costs? Will reimbursement decrease, increase or will people start going to other individuals to take care of their needs (massage therapists, DCs, etc)?

How will the future trends ultimately determine your pocketbook, your livelihood, and in general the PT profession. We just had some huge stimulus package that was just passed. How will this affect things now and down the road for the PT profession?

thoughts...?

Well, what are the possibilities when an industry like Physical Therapy experiences an increase in overall demand?

1. Higher Pay
2. Watered-down service.

1. Following the free market principle of supply and demand, the costs for the service should increase to the point where the supply is once again even with the demand.

PTs cannot be created out of thin air. The supply is limited. It is a rigorous and expensive three year program, and any increase will be gradual. The costs for physical therapy treatment will increase, and only the most expensive insurance policies, or patients willing to pay a higher co-pay, will be in a position to cover the inflated PT costs.

2. While increased costs can adjust the demand, healthcare policies can also adjust the nature of the supply. As you mentioned, PTs may have no choice regarding their compensation. With more patients and limited PTs, clinics will take on more patients and dilute the service. Aides will play a larger role. PTs will limit their one-on-one treatments, i.e., stim, us, etc, and finally, Eval sessions will be cut short.

Either way physical therapy comes out ahead in terms of compensation.

Under the first scenario, the service will only be offered to those fortunate enough to afford it. The nature of the supply will be left untouched, and PTs see increased profits.

Under the second scenario, the cost stays the same and the product is diluted, thereby creating a situation where PTs see increased profits. More patients, same billing, less service.

Unfortunately, from the patient’s perspective, the increased demand will either add to the price or decrease the service.

To put it plainly, I cannot imagine a realistic scenario where increased demand doesn’t lead to some form of increased compensation.

Anyone up to the task of writing up a PT doomsday scenario?

“Behold the turtle. He gets nowhere until he sticks his neck out.”

DOOMSDAY Scenario:

Some doctor comes up with a pill that you take right after surgery or debilitating injury and you never need rehab. Now THATS a doomsday scenario :D