The Four Tenets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned to me that I should be pretty familiar with the 'Four Tenets' of osteopathic medicine prior to my interview in KC...March 8th. I had thought I had D/L a papercopy of them...but I can't find it. And, now I can't find them anywhere on-line...

Does anyone know them or have any suggestions on where to locate them on-line or in print?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

You could download the osteopathic screensaver... LOL! It has the four principles and the osteopathic oath in it.

If you have access to FOUNDATIONS FOR OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE (aka THE BIG RED BOOK), you can find them in the first or second chapter.

Good luck.

sig1.gif

Quoted from the Big Red Book:

1. The body is a unit; the person is a unit of body, mind and spirit.

2. The bod is capable of self-regulation, self-healing and health maintenance.

3. Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated.

4. Rational treatment is based upon an understanding of the basic principles of body unity, self-regulation, and the interrelationship of structure and function.

#4 is the most important and most distinctive for DOs. HTH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply DO 2 b...I have copied them down and plan to commit them to memory!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

BTW, I had three interviews and the principles never came up. Nor did anyone test my knowledge of osteopathic medicine. But everyone gave me an ethical dilemma and asked me why I want to practice geriatric medicine (the field I've been studying in the form of "gerontology" for many years).

I do remember seeing an applicant in the NSU waiting room where interviews were being held for multiple programs. I sat down and said, "So what are you interviewing for today?" She replied, "osteopathic medicine." I said, "What the heck is that?" She then gave me a totally scripted response. I said, "Sounds neat" and began reading the morning paper.

Just try and be sincere in your answers and don't let them sound too scripted, and you'll be fine!

Good luck!

sig1.gif

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 02-28-99).]

Wow, how things have changed. When I was interviewed, I had a PhD and a DO interview me. I was truthful to both, defining my interest in research and not one ounce of interest in manipulative medicine. I told them frankly that I wasn't specifically interested in osteopathic form of medicine as they liked to define it, but rather medicine as understood by the rest of the medical community. Here I am 3 years later, an osteopath-in-training who believes believe in wisdom of osteopathic philosophy (not necessarily in OMT per say). I think the school may have made a mistake or did it?

Dear Dave, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I don't think remembering the four tenets will really help, especially if you can't tie it to what you are doing or want to do in the future. And like Gregory said, don't sound too scripted, it makes you sound insincere. However, just pick out the one/2 things that you like best in osteopathic medicine or medicine in general, explain why you like it and how it ties to what you're doing or will do in the future. I like the preventive and noninvasive aspects of osteopathic medicine and it has everything to do with what I'm doing and want to do in the future. I didn't even know the four tenets when I went to my interviews. Hope this help and good luck to you.

Thanks for all of your replies. I had no intention of memorizing/parroting the tenets. I requested them at the suggestion of a DO I know. I chatted at lenght with her on what it means to her and her internal medicine practice to be a DO vs an MD. She suggested I get a copy of them and think about what they said and how they relate to my goals as a physician.

Thanks again for your sincere advice...it is much appreciated!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'