The family connection for Med School Admission, Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vugu62

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so here is the deal, my great-great grandfather graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1896. After that my great-uncle, great-aunt, uncle, cousin and most importantly, my grandfather graduated from Jefferson. Together they have given well over 1,000,000 to the school. Would there be any reason why I wouldn't be accepted. I have a 3.7 G.P.A but my MCAT was a 30, a little low I thought. Do I stand a chance???

Members don't see this ad.

.....ummm....gl

probably no one knows the answer to ur question

just a hunch, but i'd think you stand a very good chance!! And your stats are within range for there! good luck (people i know accepted with much lower stats)

Members don't see this ad :)
You may get in, but your family history probably won't be the deciding factor.

You should definitely get in. Your stats are great and legacy helps... especially at Jeff.

i hate it when people rely on family legacy. it makes it seem like anyone can get in, so long if they have a wealthy family that bought a new wing for the school. don't get me wrong, you have good stats, but a lot of people have those stats, and i think it's unfair that someone with a legacy would have an advantage over someone without. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your advice. Trust me I am not relying on my family's legacy, however, my question is this why is it that annually 50%of Harvard's Freshman class is reserved for alumnists? I find it interesting too. I to be honest, I have never understood the family legacy idea, except for the fact that the college is looking at from a money stand point.

Yeah, I agree that it sucks to have to compete against legacies for spots in a class. My parents were immigrants in non-medical fields, but that's life. Tough titties.

That said, I know someone whose alum dad works at a pretty high powered med school as a really high powered faculty member, got his kid an interview, but the kid wasn't accepted because the kid wasn't as competitive as the rest of the pool. So don't think that the world is always against you.

If you've got the connection, use it. Tough titties for everyone else. Hey, you can always forgo your legacy... uh huh... that's what I thought. Good luck with Jeff. It's a GREAT school with an AWESOME heritage.

Originally posted by lowbudget
My parents were immigrants in non-medical fields, but that's life. Tough titties.

If you've got the connection, use it. Tough titties for everyone else.

i've never seen the expression "tough titties" thrown around quite so liberally.

You're definitely fine for Jefferson, don't worry about it. Jefferson is definitely a school that loves legacy applicants, from what I gather.

As for other people who are still waiting to hear from Jeff, if you email Dr Callahan that can make a lot of difference. I've got some friends who kept contact with the admissions committee and got into Jeff pretty smoothly (both waitlisted and those still waiting to hear).

I am your mother's father's cousin's sister's best friend's roommate. What does that make us? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! muahahahahah

You're fine man. youll get in w/o the legacy aspect.

i have no legacy whatsoever and i know i wont get into jefferson but to the OP its good that you have it. alum donations help medical schools out greatly and if they have had good results and relationships with the rest of your family then they probably wont go wrong with you either. you dont sound like an ass either, which is always nice.

your stats are decent anyways but the long term ties with the school is just icing. good luck. cant blame a guy for putting down what the school asks for on the app.

;)

I would say you are likely in. Just don't screw up your interview and hopefully your academic record is clear of probationary issues.