The ERAS wait is so draining...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancingtothebeat

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying ACGME IM. As of now on ERAS, I only have 1 official courtesy invite from the hospital where I did most of my clerkships. The program where I did an away rotations has agreed to interview me after I reached out to the program coordinator, (though no official invite through ERAS yet).

So basically I feel like I've gotten 0 "legit" invites. I've been checking ERAS a few times an hr for nearly a week now. Can't keep doing this, feel more drained by the day... Looking for advise/comfort :[

Statistics for reference:
GPA 3.3s
COMLEX1 550s
COMLEX2 430s (passed PE on 1st attempt)
No USMLEs
Apps completed by 9/15, applied to ~140 programs
No red flags (no failed courses or boards, no LOA or any disciplinary actions)

At least 3 letters to every program? Any reason a letter writer would tank you? Worrisome. Maybe start thinking about adding very undesirable family medicine places.

2 letters in by 10/01. 2 still pending. I really don't think so. Will consider..

You need to get on them immediately to finish those letters. All programs require three letters, but your essentially incomplete. I know people say it's fine but there's thousands of applicants that have all theirs in already. Pair that with your poor board performance and severe drop on level two, it'll make them select other candidates than you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! Did not know about the 3 letter thing... Yeah, I keep hearing the "oh it's okay" thing and bought into it. I'm particularly bad at "pushing" letter writers, but I will make sure to get them in asap.
Yeah that explains it. Get it done son, beg your advisor if you can't get anyone else. Got to check those boxes!

At least 3 letters to every program? Any reason a letter writer would tank you? Worrisome. Maybe start thinking about adding very undesirable family medicine places.
A hypothetical reference letter question... If you apply to an IM program, and only have one IM reference letter, should you couple that with two EM SLOE’s in order to meet the three reference letter requirement? So essentially, is it acceptable to use reference letters from any speciality to apply for a position or do your three reference letters need to be speciality specific?

A hypothetical reference letter question... If you apply to an IM program, and only have one IM reference letter, should you couple that with two EM SLOE’s in order to meet the three reference letter requirement? So essentially, is it acceptable to use reference letters from any speciality to apply for a position or do your three reference letters need to be speciality specific?

EM SLOEs (and they are pretty unique in this) have a very specific format (here's an example of what older ones looked like). To be honest, I really wouldn't use those for anything except for applying EM. Now that said, you could certainly get LORs from other providers, including EM providers, to fulfill the 3 LOR requirement. Just make sure you read the program specific requirements, because some may require x number from the same field.

EM SLOEs (and they are pretty unique in this) have a very specific format (here's an example of what older ones looked like). To be honest, I really wouldn't use those for anything except for applying EM. Now that said, you could certainly get LORs from other providers, including EM providers, to fulfill the 3 LOR requirement. Just make sure you read the program specific requirements, because some may require x number from the same field.

Really man, come on.

Reactions: 2 users
Really man, come on.

What's funny is I thought about it for a second after I posted it, and was like, why did I say providers and not doctor, but then I said, "whatever who's going to care".

Got to be PC when you're in primary care.

Except its not just primary care. When you're in the hospital and the surgical services, IR, anesthesia, etc. all expect you to only talk to their ARNP, CRNA, or PA for questions about the people they're consulted on, you'll get used to it pretty fast. Anyone who thinks midlevel creep is only an issue in primary care hasn't looked around the hospital much. Its pretty pervasive in Psych too.

Update: fixed the LOR situation. As of today, 5 IVs, all IM. Panic? Wait it out? Realistic to think there could be more IVs in November and beyond?

Don’t panic, but a few non-desperate-sounding letters of interest to programs you’re legitimately interested in wouldn’t be out of place (especially if they’re conveniently also dual/former AOA).