The downsides of a needlestick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so besides the 0.3%, 3%, and 30% risk of HIV and Hepatitis, (rapid HIV negative) on the needlestick I gave myself three days ago (LP stylet into a gloved L index finger, immediate blood from finger, pt 30 some year old with schizophrenia, came in with fever/AMS, long rap sheet of arrests), I'll tell you the worst part.

I want my liver in tip top shape to help with even a remote Hep C infection... so I've held off on alcohol until I know I'm safe. So a bunch of nurses go out last night and of course I'm invited. I go out, but can't drink. Going to a bunch of clubs/bars isn't so fun if you can't even touch alcohol (IMHO anyways). AND the worst part is they didnt' even have any non ETOH beers (Coors Cutter, etc).

*sigh*

So I'm throwing another kegger to announce that "Quinn is Hepatitis free" when I get the results. All on SDN invited.

I swear I'm not an alcoholic, btw. "I can stop anytime I want." "I don't have an eye opener, I'm not annoyed, I don't think I should cut down (I should drink more), and I don't feel guilty."

Q

Members don't see this ad.

QuinnNSU said:
"I can stop anytime I want."

Sure, that's what they all say. ;)

But really, that pretty much sucks. That's going to be the #1 thing that will bum me out when my PPD finally converts - not being able to drink for 9 months while I'm on INH. Oh well, it'll happen sooner or later....

I think you should throw a kegger celebrating the fact that you arent an alcoholic. Id drink to that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quinn, rather than viewing this as a setback on the road to cirrhosis I suggest you approach this as an opportunity to explore the wonderful world of crack abuse. By looking on the bright side, we can better cope with our stressors, and with crack that bright side shines all the more brightly.

I've been jabbed a few times too Quinn. I always found it a bit of a relief when my tests came back negative. It also helped when I had the patient tested as it made it a bit easier to wait for my results.

Don't worry about the drinking problem. Someone once told me I should stop drinking, but I told them "I'm no quitter!!!"

Best of luck...

kungfufishing said:
...an alcoholic...

Remember, you're only an alcoholic if you goto meetings :) , otherwise you're just a drunk. :p

WilcoWorld said:
Quinn, rather than viewing this as a setback on the road to cirrhosis I suggest you approach this as an opportunity to explore the wonderful world of crack abuse. By looking on the bright side, we can better cope with our stressors, and with crack that bright side shines all the more brightly.
I've thought about becoming a chronic In-n-Out-ohlic, but I dont' have any in the Tampa area.

Heroin is out of it as well, want to shy away from any more needle sticks.

But I did find one organ that is very minimally related to the liver...

My thyroid. So I'm going to take as much Synthroid as possible and party hard in my own little "storm."

Q

I think heroin would be better... ;)

I'm not an alcoholic, I just drink way too damned much.

I prefer to think of it as averaging out my soon-to-be-imposed INH abstinence.

I'm on a medicine service, and apparently, I'm running a TB ward. I love it. Not. But I just know that I'm going to seroconvert this year... At least I've got some time before that next PPD.

Danielle

dchristismi said:
I prefer to think of it as averaging out my soon-to-be-imposed INH abstinence.

I'm on a medicine service, and apparently, I'm running a TB ward. I love it. Not. But I just know that I'm going to seroconvert this year... At least I've got some time before that next PPD.

Danielle
Wait, y'all are saying there are downsides to a needlestick? And here I thought it was just another excuse to party....

I wouldn't worry too much about having a needle dick, my friend in college had one and he got along just fine I think. Oh, sorry, you said needle stick. Never mind.

edinOH said:
I'm not an alcoholic, I just drink way too damned much.

Loved the needle dick post, funniest thing I've heard in a week.

The liver is EVIL and must be punished...

bulgethetwine said:
The liver is EVIL and must be punished...

I prefer to call it training. Alcohol Olympics anyone? :p