The Decision of a Lifetime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrimsonSpirit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I'm a Canadian student, and I got into UC Berkeley, and am planning to study pre-med. However, at the moment, I'm stuck between attending UC Berkeley or going to UBC. You see, my ultimate goal is to attend med school down in the states at either UCSF, SMS, HMS, JHU or Columbia. Are my chances, as an international student, higher if I do pre-med at UCB instead of UBC? I'm worried that my grades at UCB may be lower than my GPA at UBC, the curve up at UCB is killer, or so I've heard. Also UCB gave me no aid, so I would be paying 50K Canadian a year in the states for 4 years, as opposed to paying 50K total to for an undergrad at UBC.

The main reason I want to go to UCB is because I heard that it was easier to get into a top-notch medical school in the US, as a Canadian, at least. But after going through all the threads, I realized that its pretty darn difficult to get into med school. period.

So my question is: is it worth it for me to cough up 160K to go to UCB, and would my chances of getting into a top-tier US med school as a Canadian increase having graduated from a more pretigious college in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

CrimsonSpirit said:

I'm a Canadian student, and I got into UC Berkeley, and am planning to study pre-med. However, at the moment, I'm stuck between attending UC Berkeley or going to UBC. You see, my ultimate goal is to attend med school down in the states at either UCSF, SMS, HMS, JHU or Columbia. Are my chances, as an international student, higher if I do pre-med at UCB instead of UBC? I'm worried that my grades at UCB may be lower than my GPA at UBC, the curve up at UCB is killer, or so I've heard. Also UCB gave me no aid, so I would be paying 50K Canadian a year in the states for 4 years, as opposed to paying 50K total to for an undergrad at UBC.

The main reason I want to go to UCB is because I heard that it was easier to get into a top-notch medical school in the US, as a Canadian, at least. But after going through all the threads, I realized that its pretty darn difficult to get into med school. period.

So my question is: is it worth it for me to cough up 160K to go to UCB, and would my chances of getting into a top-tier US med school as a Canadian increase having graduated from a more pretigious college in the states?

From what I understand, the "prestige" of the school you attend is less important than your GPA and MCAT (actually has a negligible effect). Besides, UBC is not Podunk Community College, I think a degree from there would be fine. You'll be an international student anyway, as you say. So if you think you could have better grades (and less debt) in Canada, go for it. Going to med school in the States will give you debt enough - you may not want to compound it with undergrad debt. Unless, of course, you can get U.S. residency during undergrad (green card?), which may well help your chances at U.S. med schools. Though your choice of schools is so ambitious, you may be better off attending the school where you're more likely to get a 3.95 GPA, considering your target schools.

I'd be curious to find out what you'll be saying in four years, if your choice of med schools will have changed, etc... :)

CrimsonSpirit said:

A couple things.

1. Why would you want to head to the states for medical school when Canada has just as good if not better medical education.

2. In the states, the prestige of your school can actually have an impact (certainly not the greatest factor) on the schools that accept you. In Canada, except for Quebec and some maritime provinces, it doesn't matter what school you attend for undergrad - really!

3. Unless you are loaded, I don't think coughing over 50K/year is really all that worth it; and that's just undergrad. Medical school in the states, if you do end up in one of the reputable schools you are considering, could cost an upwards of an extra $250,000.

4. I am unsure if international students are eligible for the financial aid the American schools provide, so you may even have to provide information regarding an escrow account before you matriculate.

5. I'm not exactly sure how smart you are, but regardless of the school you go to for undergrad, it is going to be challenging. Sure if you go to a top-tier school, there may be more competition (which is not always bad, in fact I think it's a good thing), but if you want to get to medical school, the challenge of getting stellar grades would probably be enough to keep you busy.

6. I'm not sure if you have entirely made up your mind about attending a US school, but in my honest opinion, you may want to reconsider. There are great schools here in Canada that I am sure would provide you with whatever you need.

CrimsonSpirit said:
You see, my ultimate goal is to attend med school down in the states at either UCSF, SMS, HMS, JHU or Columbia.

7. What made you decide on these schools? I really hope you are not just basing it on reputation, because like undergrad, there is more you should consider than reputation. Most schools are built on their reputation for research and research funding, and if you want to go to medical school, it may not be as good as you thinik.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pick your undergrad school based on where you think you want to go to med school. Most people who go into university thinking they want to go into medicine either a) change their mind, or, b) realize they either aren't smart enough, or, won't get in. I know, I know....you won't change your mind. Of course not.

Going to Berkley isn't going to increase your gpa or your mcat scores, which will be prime determinants for getting into a top tier US school. You should go where you think you will enjoy yourself the most, and have the best experience. If your parents are rich and willing to foot the bill, sure, consider Berkeley. It would be a little dishonest, however, to sell it to them as a move that will make a difference on where you go to medical school in the future. Me, I'd save the cash and go to school in Canada. You're gonna need the money if you do eventually go to med school, cause even in Canada it's getting pricey.

I know this is a tough question, but is it realistic to use lower-tier US medical schools as a back-up for canadian medical schools?

Would Canadian students who find it hard to get into medical schools in Canada have a better chance if he/she applies to >25 medical schools in the states in addition?

arcticmonkeys said:
I know this is a tough question, but is it realistic to use lower-tier US medical schools as a back-up for canadian medical schools?

Would Canadian students who find it hard to get into medical schools in Canada have a better chance if he/she applies to >25 medical schools in the states in addition?

I think it's realistic. It is easier to get in to many U.S. schools than it is to get in to Canadian schools. Research the U.S. schools for those favourable to international applicants. I wouldn't apply to dozens, though, that could get really expensive. Research, pick and choose. And don't forget to apply to any Canadian school where you have a shot - on the off chance they let you in.

Also, OP, I wouldn't say that choosing an undergrad program is "the decision of a lifetime". Choosing a medical school, maybe (or choosing a specialty?). Other candidates:

-who to marry
-when/if to have kids
-where to settle down and live

Etc...

Getting into med school is going to be extremely difficult, no doubt. It's just that I've visited the Stanford campus, and I fell in love with it. It's so gorgeous, and the chapel that they have is...beyond words. I also adore California weather, the people are great, and the food is fantastic. At the moment, as I read everybody's replies (Thanks so much), I'm leaning more towards going to UBC, but at the same time, I'm trying to find reasons for why I should go to UCB.

I mean, as I browse through SMS's entering class of 2009, and the undergrad colleges that are represented in that class, all I see are American colleges and universities for the past 4 years or so. Being a Canadian student, I just assumed that holding an undergrad degree in Canada would undermine my chances of getting into a US med school.

I guess, the other reason why I want to go to UCB is just to get away from vancouver and to start anew. I love my family and friends, but seeing how most of my graduating peers are also attending UBC, I feel almost hindered by the idea that I'll be sitting in the lecture hall with the same people for the next few years who have already labeled me in a certain way, and expect specific thigns from me; whereas at UCB, I have the liberty of adopting a new identity and voice.

So I mean, in the end, if we break all of this down, I guess it all just comes down to prestige - which is a horrible thing to lust after, I know.

Does anybody know of any Canadians that get into a top-notch US med school with an undergrad in Canada?

CrimsonSpirit said:
Getting into med school is going to be extremely difficult, no doubt. It's just that I've visited the Stanford campus, and I fell in love with it. It's so gorgeous, and the chapel that they have is...beyond words. I also adore California weather, the people are great, and the food is fantastic. At the moment, as I read everybody's replies (Thanks so much), I'm leaning more towards going to UBC, but at the same time, I'm trying to find reasons for why I should go to UCB.

I mean, as I browse through SMS's entering class of 2009, and the undergrad colleges that are represented in that class, all I see are American colleges and universities for the past 4 years or so. Being a Canadian student, I just assumed that holding an undergrad degree in Canada would undermine my chances of getting into a US med school.

I guess, the other reason why I want to go to UCB is just to get away from vancouver and to start anew. I love my family and friends, but seeing how most of my graduating peers are also attending UBC, I feel almost hindered by the idea that I'll be sitting in the lecture hall with the same people for the next few years who have already labeled me in a certain way, and expect specific thigns from me; whereas at UCB, I have the liberty of adopting a new identity and voice.

So I mean, in the end, if we break all of this down, I guess it all just comes down to prestige - which is a horrible thing to lust after, I know.

Does anybody know of any Canadians that get into a top-notch US med school with an undergrad in Canada?

Well, I know of Canadians who went to Stanford and Harvard for undergrad with aims of Med school but didn't make it. I don't think that exactly answers your question. :laugh:

I know of a Canadian who did undergrad at UofT and got accepted to Harvard Med but turned it down because he didn't want to pay for Harvard Med tuition etc.

CrimsonSpirit said:

I know of a guy who did undergrad at the University of Winnipeg and got into Stanford and Yale, but he decided to stay because he got engaged to a girl in Winnipeg and they were too expensive for him. Also, a few people each year from the university I go to (University of Manitoba) get into places like Harvard, Yale, and U of T (not American but just as good if not better) for graduate school. Trust me, going to a Canadian school for undergrad only hinders you if you don't have citizenship/residency status. Also, I really don't know why you would want to go to an American school for medicine over a Canadian school unless you have family or a girlfriend or something. I know it is your decision, but I have not really heard a reasonable reason aside from reputation for wanting to spend all of this money. To address your issue of your highschool students at your university; UBC is HUGE, that will not affect your undergraduate experience. I really think you should also consider other schools. Excellent undergraduate schools include SFU, Waterloo, Guelph, Acadia, and the University of Winnipeg. Take a look at some of these before shelling out HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS IN U.S. DOLLARS for something that you could attain with much less money, and just the same amount of satisfaction.