the Dean's Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicestranger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How powerful are dean's letters?

Is it true that almost all dean's letters are positively written?

In what instances can they hurt you?

Members don't see this ad.

I have found that most letters of recommendation are not worth the paper they are printed on because they are almost all uniformly complimentary. They can hurt you in the following ways. If you are applying for GPR and the writer states that they are recommending you for a specialty program (you are applying for both). Another bad sign is if the letter is very short. Finally, anything which is even remotely uncomplementary probably indicates that the person is not good, the writer just doesn't want to come out and say so.

I find the most honest letters come from someone who is a personal friend of mine or who trained with us. These people are not likely to refer someone as good if they are not.

Reactions: 1 user
I have found that most letters of recommendation are not worth the paper they are printed on because they are almost all uniformly complimentary. They can hurt you in the following ways. If you are applying for GPR and the writer states that they are recommending you for a specialty program (you are applying for both). Another bad sign is if the letter is very short. Finally, anything which is even remotely uncomplementary probably indicates that the person is not good, the writer just doesn't want to come out and say so.

I find the most honest letters come from someone who is a personal friend of mine or who trained with us. These people are not likely to refer someone as good if they are not.

Thanks for the info but can you comment on dean's letters specifically?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Dean's letter is usually just a summary of comments that have been received from various faculty members. It is rare for a dean to know a student well enough to write a letter de novo. Oftentimes the dean's letter repeats comments that appear in other letters written for the applicant. I suppose if I did receive a letter from the dean that was more personal I would sit up and take notice. All the other comments I made apply to the dean's letter as well.

Reactions: 1 user
The deans letter can be very important. Two pertinent examples:
1. A deans letter from a school I received this year stated matter of factly that the applicant would probably not graduate on time and was clinically deficient. The other recommendations were glowing.
2. One applicant sent a forged letter. That person is in trouble.

Lesson: No one can hide and forgery is bad.

Whoa!!! ppl do that with their career at stake!! man!!

Good comments ^^