The "Challenge" Essay, Which Is a better topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rurmann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a re-applicant, and am rewriting most of my secondaries. The "challenge" essay has been coming up in many of the prompts and I feel my original essay from last year needs work or to be completely different. Here are the two or three directions I can go.

#1 (essay used in last secondary) - Talked about working as a emergency room scribe, having difficulty with the learning curve but setting written goals outside of the job to improve typing speed and improve performance. Improving so much that I was offered a training position.

#2 - Talk about my childhood, growing up in the bay area until I was 8 then moving to a very rural area/desert in california at age 8, living with people of much different political and religious viewpoints. possibly the challenge of making all my friends in elementary and beginning of high school then having to pack up and move back to the bay area in the middle of high school. re-making all new friends (or lack of) and trying to fit in, in a place where most friendships and cliques were already very well formed.

#3 Talk about my father passing away in the second to last year of high school, and having to motivate myself to continue following my dreams and goals without him as my mentor and primary motivator. I feel using a parental death is cliche despite it really having an impact on me. I have already touched on this in my personal statement however so I might be redundant if I talk about it, despite going deeper.

Members don't see this ad.