The biggest problem with DO school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelord'sdoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with DO school for those who want to do allopathic residency is the emphasis on OMM, in my opinion. You only have limited time in a day and if you spend time studying OMM then by definition you have less time for USMLE.

So, you do worse on the USMLE then you could have otherwise done. You also do worse on the COMPLEX because you spend time on the USMLE. In other words, you cannot devote time to mastering one exam like an MD student can. So you end up with lower scores on both exams then you otherwise could have done had you focused on one.

This negatively impacts your chance at a selective allopathic residency. And worst comes to worse, say you are dismissed from residency, a lower USMLE score would make it harder to get into another residency, as step 1 is still considered in such situations and transferring.

DO is like having two weights around you in a race. Many have a negative perception of DO in the first place (which I believe is unwarranted as med school admission is so much luck). And then OMM prevents you from doing your absolute best in the most objective tool residencies use to evaluate you. When you factor in less access to rotations and research that DO schools have compared to even low-tire MD schools, it really is an uphill battle. You have weights around you and dress shoes while the other runners have Nikes...

Members don't see this ad.

So don't go to DO school...

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest problem with DO school for those who want to do allopathic residency is the emphasis on OMM, in my opinion. You only have limited time in a day and if you spend time studying OMM then by definition you have less time for USMLE.

So, you do worse on the USMLE then you could have otherwise done. You also do worse on the COMPLEX because you spend time on the USMLE. In other words, you cannot devote time to mastering one exam like an MD student can. So you end up with lower scores on both exams then you otherwise could have done had you focused on one.

This negatively impacts your chance at a selective allopathic residency. And worst comes to worse, say you are dismissed from residency, a lower USMLE score would make it harder to get into another residency, as step 1 is still considered in such situations and transferring.

DO is like having two weights around you in a race. Many have a negative perception of DO in the first place (which I believe is unwarranted as med school admission is so much luck). And then OMM prevents you from doing your absolute best in the most objective tool residencies use to evaluate you. When you factor in less access to rotations and research that DO schools have compared to even low-tire MD schools, it really is an uphill battle. You have weights around you and dress shoes while the other runners have Nikes...
If you get dismissed from a residency, you're pretty much boned anyway.

I haven't heard many complaints in regard to boards studying- you prepare for the USMLE and throw a week of reading the OMT Review book a week before your COMLEX. If you're good at standardized tests, you'll do fine. If that extra week of studying OMT is going to kill you, just start your studies a week (or more) earlier than you would have otherwise. OMT is ridiculously easy, it doesn't take that much extra skill, practice, or time to learn.

Reactions: 4 users
Would a merger mean that MD's have to learn that pseudoscience osteopathic manipulative stuff?

Why bother when you can just prescribe Norco and be done with it? Point is "real" medicine is full of unjustified treatments and prescriptions, It's funny to see so many pre-meds get on their academic pedestals. In the real world both DO's and MD's will do things that are not "supported" by any literature. I'm not saying OMM is completely legit, but if it helps some people with pain, then to me it has some use.

Don't even get me started on docs throwing SSRI's around like candy. (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=185157)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
What they should do is have one test:

DO students: OMM section in addition to the main test.
MD students: Research section in addition the main test.

Then there's equal weight for both sides.

Reactions: 1 users
My students match into ACGME residencies just fine, so the OMM component of their curriculum doesn't handicap them.

And it's COMLEX, not COMPLEX.

And at this point kids, :troll::troll::troll:

Reactions: 9 users

Lol wut? No...

I think they should add a statistical analysis section to both USMLE and COMPLEX. Maybe DO's can replace the OMM with statistical analysis for the COMPLEX. Statistical analysis is actually useful, in fact if DOs learnt statistical analysis instead of OMM I honestly think they would be seen as equals, especially if the COMPLEX tests it, and thus DO's won't have a complex because of the COMPLEX.

Last edited:
If you get dismissed from a residency, you're pretty much boned anyway.

I haven't heard many complaints in regard to boards studying- you prepare for the USMLE and throw a week of reading the OMT Review book a week before your COMLEX. If you're good at standardized tests, you'll do fine. If that extra week of studying OMT is going to kill you, just start your studies a week (or more) earlier than you would have otherwise. OMT is ridiculously easy, it doesn't take that much extra skill, practice, or time to learn.

I was not aware of that. I actually learnt about OMM through a resident who went DO. He told me DO school focuses heavily on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol it was just an idea on accounting for the fact that most MD schools stress scholarly activity. Just an idea.

To suggest implementing further separation between the qualifications of DO and MD graduates when it comes to boards would be counterproductive.

Reactions: 1 user
To suggest implementing further separation between the qualifications of DO and MD graduates when it comes to boards would be counterproductive.

I was suggesting having the same board exam (USMLE) but including an additional section that was specific to each side. I don't see how that's counter productive or how that suggests "further separation in quals" between the two. Again it was just an idea and I understand you think it's a "lol wut" idea.

I was suggesting having the same board exam (USMLE) but including an additional section that was specific to each side. I don't see how that's counter productive or how that suggests "further separation in quals" between the two. Again it was just an idea and I understand you think it's a "lol wut" idea.

I don't think it makes any sense to do this either. Why would you want to emphasis competency in analyzing research more so in MD's than DO's? Also, DO programs are trying to put more emphasis on research than they have done to the past. Research is very important to legitimacy in medicine, which is why we are finally seeing some controlled clinical trials examining OMM. It makes no sense to me why DO's would want to highlight that they expect their students to be less competent in research than MD's. This would not look good for the field.

I don't think it makes any sense to do this either. Why would you want to emphasis competency in analyzing research more so in MD's than DO's? Also, DO programs are trying to put more emphasis on research than they have done to the past. Research is very important to legitimacy in medicine, which is why we are finally seeing some controlled clinical trials examining OMM. It makes no sense to me why DO's would want to highlight that they expect their students to be less competent in research than MD's. This would not look good for the field.

That's true. Then idk, it was just an idea.

op ran into banhammer

Don't get me wrong I'm all for every medical student in the US taking the USMLE, but not everyone is interested in research. Forcing people that have no interest in research to take a research subject exam is pointless. On the other hand, DOs that are interested in research and academics would not be afforded the same opportunity as likeminded MDs to demonstrate competency in research. No bueno, amigo.

Actually, OMT is more useful at my school than all the other mandatory BS we have to attend that is zero yield to boards. At least OMT is on COMLEX and it's one of the few subjects in med school where the overlap with what's covered on boards is great. For some odd reason, it's looked down upon for schools to teach towards the boards. This boggles my mind. IMO, med school is a ****ing scheme and you're basically in it for a degree and chance to apply to residency.

I think the point is anyone can find doom and gloom in almost anything with a negative perspective.

As winter ends, the trolls are coming out of their hibernation

Reactions: 4 users
The biggest downside to SDN, at least in the DO forums, is that we are constantly having to beat this dead horse, due to the troll nation and less informed individuals. Now I'm not a regular poster on the forum but my view point is that YOU, the future med student or current, make your own path. If you want to do neurosurgery because you watched some Grey's Anatomy, that's fine, just know regardless of the school you decide to attend DO or MD, it's going to be a hard path. It is possible to do any specially your hard desires of you are willing to put in the work to get there.

DO/MD, in my opinion, doesn't matter in the long stretch of things. I've work for years in healthcare. You can't distinguish between MD or DOs. Why?because we all work toward the same goal of providing the best patient care we know how, no matter what credentials you decide to pursue.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, but if you get rid of OMM, who is gonna run the shop?

PGQTfxK.jpg

Reactions: 5 users