The big picture question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitethunder10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering going back for optometry...

I currently have an undergrad in Journalism with a 3.01 gpa.. (right on the line)

In any case I've weighed the different professions and to me optometry seems like a pretty good deal.

1. can own your own business
2. get paid well
3. work regular hours

I currently work in tech support after trying my had in advertising and hating it.

In any case, can someone get back to me here about the pros and cons of being a optometrist? How difficult is the school aspect (getting in and staying in) as opposed to other medical type degrees? Is being an optometrist fun? How easy is it to start your own practice? Any other things I might not be considering, do tell!

Thanks folks.. I like this 3.0 gpa gets you in stuff...

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly is a good deal. It won't be a breeze though. The ones who do get in with a 3.0 most certainly have worked for it to prove, beyond their gpa, that they are qualified. Many have shadowed/volunteered/worked for optometrists, been involved in a club or organization of some sort. Depending on your pre-req completion and grades, you will have to take/retake some science courses. Also you will need to take the OAT, a comprehensive test of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, reading comprehension, and sat-like math. Some also balance out their gpa additionally with high OAT scores in the 350 (~90th percentile or so). Each case is different, but you can try seeking some advice with someone from the admissions office of a couple of schools (phone or in person advising).

OP, you should take some upper division science classes to show to the adcoms you can handle science courses as well as prepare yourself for OD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only pulled of a 3.01 in Journalism, your f****d for the science courses you're going to need. Moreover, don't apply for something you may not like, just because you think its not hard to get in.

I would think that depends entirely on the specific program at their university. At some places, a mass com./journalism degree is considerably more difficult than others. But yes, I agree to some extent. Nothing can kick your butt quite like biochem or some engineering courses.

I disagree. Although I find science courses REALLY hard. I feel like all the english and arts courses are more subjective and its WAY harder in my school to get like high grades in them..well unless u are a realllyyy good writer. But when I and all my super smart science friends took english..we all got 70's no matter how hard we worked..

OP, i suggest you go shadow an optometrist or talk to one to get a feel of optometry. Like any other businesses...if you want to start your own business there are risks and rewards. if it's easy then everyone else can do it.
if you willing to put in the effort...you can be successful.

To answer your questions below, I would say that there ain't many cons to being an optometrist if u have the passion for the profession. The only one I can think of is not making as much as surgeons or other MD professions. I dont believe optometry school is harder than medical school, but of course I can't fully answer that because i'm not even in optometry school yet :p I would think that being an optometrist as a career is above average when it comes to health care professions. Usually people stick to optometry once they're in it. When it comes to starting a practice, it depends on where you are opening up shop. It comes down to supply and demand. There are places with a demand for optometrists but there are other places that have an oversupply right now.

Hope that answers your questions.

Hello,

I am considering going back for optometry...

I currently have an undergrad in Journalism with a 3.01 gpa.. (right on the line)

In any case I've weighed the different professions and to me optometry seems like a pretty good deal.

1. can own your own business
2. get paid well
3. work regular hours

I currently work in tech support after trying my had in advertising and hating it.

In any case, can someone get back to me here about the pros and cons of being a optometrist? How difficult is the school aspect (getting in and staying in) as opposed to other medical type degrees? Is being an optometrist fun? How easy is it to start your own practice? Any other things I might not be considering, do tell!

Thanks folks.. I like this 3.0 gpa gets you in stuff...