The big mystery: DO Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waverider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I guess I need some help here from anybody who knows the process or has been through the process to become a DO Dermatologist. I've been to all the web pages (dermboard, here, doctorsbookmark.com, aocd.org) and am still utterly confused. I see the list of approved residencies at aocd.org, but...
1.) How do I find out which of those programs require a family medicine residency before entering their derm residency?
2.) Also, I hear some of the programs are unsalaried? Which ones? Why?
3.) And, from what I hear, there is no DO derm match. You apply to these programs during your traditional rotating internship or during your fam med residency or during any other residency? True? If so, what a gamble if you don't make it into a program!
4.) Also, I hear that Lehigh Valley Derm program no longer exists (I guess aocd.org is not updated). Truth to this? Any new programs or other programs not in existence?
Anyway, I guess these questions are a start. I would appreciate anyone's help in answering these questions or a push in the right direction on how to go about answering these questions. (No, my school does not have a home program and yes I realize I can call each program and ask.) Just thought I'd try the easy way first and hope someone can enlighten me. Who knew osteopathic derm was so different from allopathic derm? Obviously not me!!!! Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

waverider said:
Hey everyone...I guess I need some help here from anybody who knows the process or has been through the process to become a DO Dermatologist. I've been to all the web pages (dermboard, here, doctorsbookmark.com, aocd.org) and am still utterly confused. I see the list of approved residencies at aocd.org, but...
1.) How do I find out which of those programs require a family medicine residency before entering their derm residency?
2.) Also, I hear some of the programs are unsalaried? Which ones? Why?
3.) And, from what I hear, there is no DO derm match. You apply to these programs during your traditional rotating internship or during your fam med residency or during any other residency? True? If so, what a gamble if you don't make it into a program!
4.) Also, I hear that Lehigh Valley Derm program no longer exists (I guess aocd.org is not updated). Truth to this? Any new programs or other programs not in existence?
Anyway, I guess these questions are a start. I would appreciate anyone's help in answering these questions or a push in the right direction on how to go about answering these questions. (No, my school does not have a home program and yes I realize I can call each program and ask.) Just thought I'd try the easy way first and hope someone can enlighten me. Who knew osteopathic derm was so different from allopathic derm? Obviously not me!!!! Thanks so much in advance.

A lot of your questions can be answered using the following link

http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/index.htm

Search by dermatology programs. Click each program to find out information on salary, application dates, etc.

A few programs want you to do internal medicine before starting residency. Check the bottom of the page under the comments section.

It is true at least for now, that no DO derm programs participate in the match. Yes it is a gamble to go the DO route, but only if you skip the MD match.

Thank you. That helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, tha AOA website is not the most updated on the subject. The best thing to do is to call the programs individually to get the info. That's what I and many others I know had to do. Funding status, application requirements, contact info, etc are ever changing. Many have their own individualized applications, requirements, etc.
The Philadelphia program is not closed. It just moved hospitals this year and has a new PD. The other key thing to do is to actually rotate at the program that you are applying to. Many PD's will not even consider choosing you if you did not rotate (even if they invite you for and interview).

Is there any difference at all between these 'osteopathic' derm programs and allopathic ones? I can't imagine how they could incorporate osteopathy into derm.