The Best Surgical Textbook for an Intern...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before the beginning of my senior year in medical school, I bought "Churchill and Livingstone's Basics and Practice of Surgery". I did a lot of internet search, and this seemed to be the best Undergraduate choice. When I read that it was Davidson's surgical equivalent, I just had to buy it.

However, it was a huge disappointment. And when we started senior year, turned out we studied Surgery far more detailed than it was in this textbook.

So I'm hearing a lot about "Bailey and Love" from my Professors. And it's really huge, and looks pretty decent. So I won't rely on net research no-more. I need 1st hand opinions. Actual Surgery Residents, Cheifs, and Interns. Which Surgery textbook is the best?

It's kinda urgent, coz I'm about to pay a huge sum of money to get "Baily and Love" tomorrow. So if anyone has any better alternative, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS, tell me.

Thanks a lot ;)

Here's the one I bought before (not detailed at all):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0443064938/surgicatutororgu

And here's what I'm paying for tomorrow:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340808195/202-8306425-5467047?v=glance&n=266239

Anything better?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I went with the text that my program used (which happened to be Sabiston). I ended up purchasing Cameron after my second year because it was relevant to what I needed at that point.

I still do the majority of my text reading in Sabiston and Cameron. I supplement with journals.

Between the big three: Greenfields, Schwartz and Sabiston, it is purely a matter of choice and program. All are more than detailed enough to get you through a general surgery residency program.

For ABSITE during my intern year, I knew Lawrence inside and out. Did well on ABSITE that year too.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My program is structuring our intern conferences around the Marino "ICU Book"...It has been pretty decent so far. I probably should have shelled out for it during med school. Anyway I don't know how practical it is for the ABSITE. Good luck!

Cameron, Sabiston and Lawrence.... wow funny nobody's recommending "Bailey and Love". I was under the impression that it ruled them all :)

I'll check them out, thanks a lot. ;)

Knight_MD said:
Cameron, Sabiston and Lawrence.... wow funny nobody's recommending "Bailey and Love". I was under the impression that it ruled them all :)

I'll check them out, thanks a lot. ;)

it sounds like you're in the uk. recommendations on textbooks are quite different when you compare a pom's view to a yank's.

(i.e., i doubt too many americans even know what davidsons is)

Our program schedules the lectures for the PGY1s/2s around Sabiston's.

Ok so I did some forum search and found that these were among the highly recommended books (not only textbooks):

-Cameron
-Surgical Recall
-Sabiston
-Mount Reid Handbook
-Surgical Intern Pocket Survival Guide
-Dunn's Surgical Diagnosis and Management
-Zollinger's Atlas of Surgical Procedures
-Lawrence's Essentials of General Surgery

If I'm only getting 2, then I guess my money will go to Cameron and Surgical Recall...
I still can't get over nobody mentioning "Bailey and Love"... :)

I have all the major textbooks on Surgery, including Bailey and Love (see, someone HAS mentioned it).

My home program started recommending Greenfield as our text. A number of the authors were on faculty, so you can imagine why. Unfortunately, none of us really liked it and the great consensus was that Cameron was preferred. I agreed.

Now we're using ACS (our Department Chair is the Editor) and I am rather fond of it as well, especially the on-line updates, questions, etc. I will have to give it more time in comparison but it fares well.

Bailey and Love has lots of great pictures to be sure and lots of topics. However, for the US exams, I did not find it practical. Not enough basic science, and since it wasn't written by US physicians, who write the US exams, that isn't suprising. If it is preferred in the UK for the GMC exams, then that is the book for you.

If you had to choose one, Cameron is easy to read and excellent clinically. ACS looks good, but I have admittedly only read a couple of chapters in it.

Kimberli Cox said:
I have all the major textbooks on Surgery, including Bailey and Love (see, someone HAS mentioned it).

My home program started recommending Greenfield as our text. A number of the authors were on faculty, so you can imagine why. Unfortunately, none of us really liked it and the great consensus was that Cameron was preferred. I agreed.

Now we're using ACS (our Department Chair is the Editor) and I am rather fond of it as well, especially the on-line updates, questions, etc. I will have to give it more time in comparison but it fares well.

Bailey and Love has lots of great pictures to be sure and lots of topics. However, for the US exams, I did not find it practical. Not enough basic science, and since it wasn't written by US physicians, who write the US exams, that isn't suprising. If it is preferred in the UK for the GMC exams, then that is the book for you.

If you had to choose one, Cameron is easy to read and excellent clinically. ACS looks good, but I have admittedly only read a couple of chapters in it.

Is the ACS text an actual book or is it an online thing that you get through the ACS or something?

Also, is it possible to access surgical texts online for free? I don't have a booke allowance. :(

Surgical Recall is good for your third year of med school. Advanced Recall is good for your intern year.

Orange Julius said:
Is the ACS text an actual book or is it an online thing that you get through the ACS or something?

Also, is it possible to access surgical texts online for free? I don't have a booke allowance. :(

Wow...no book allowance? That's rough - in the old days, you could get drug reps to buy you books, probably a lot more difficult these days.

At any rate, ACS is an actual hard-bound several hundred page long text. But I believe (and could be wrong) that if you join ACS (the resident fee is nominal as I recall - like $20), you can access the text, or at least the review series, and updates on-line.

Most libraries should have copies of the major texts which you could read, and may have on-line access, although I'm not aware of any surgical texts which are available on-line (ie, a la Harrisons).

See if the senior residents in your program will either give you copies of old versions of texts they've purchased newer editions, or will let you borrow them as well.

Kimberli Cox said:
Most libraries should have copies of the major texts which you could read, and may have on-line access, although I'm not aware of any surgical texts which are available on-line (ie, a la Harrisons).

MD Consult has on-line access to Sabiston's and Khatri's book (not to familiar with the latter) - I don't remember how much MD consult costs (my school bought it for me) but even if it were a few hundred per year, I would find it worthwhile still...

I just bought Surgical Recall. What a gem. How can anybody not have this book :)

Still searching for Cameron. Everybody here seems so, maybe too excited about "Bailey and Love".