the best pediatric stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crinkle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to start my pediatric residency in June. What is the best pediatric stethoscope to get? I used to have (and loved) a Littman Cardiology III in med school. However, since I thought I was going to get a pedi stethoscope, I gave my Cardiology III to my kid sister since she had a crappy stethoscope and couldn't hear anything. But now I see that the Littman pediatric scope is inferior in acoustic quality to the Cardiology III (rated 7.5 v. 9). I know the Littman III comes with the pediatric-sized diaphragm, but if you have it on, you sacrifice having a bell. Should I get another Cardiology III and sacrifice getting a bell, or should I just get the Littman pediatric stethoscope? Is there a popular stethoscope among pediatric residents? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Rappaport-Sprague (poor spelling, I'm sure); the peds cardiologists, and adult for that matter, swear by them. Small enough for peds, too. They are a bit pricey, 200+ I think.

Actually if you push down on either side of the Littman III, you get the same effect as the bell. It's designed like that. (I just read my little manual the other night to prove this to a friend.) And I have used it that way, and it works well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Tyco Elite Stethescope is phenomenal and superior in quality to the Cardiology by Littmen in my opinion. I can hear tons of soft murmurs and other intricicies. Too bad I still suck at diagnosing them. It is pricy at 150 dollars. Cardiologists use double lumen stethescopes, but most scopes have a double lumen inside of the tubing that you see. Good luck.

The tyco elite is for adults, right? i could only find one site that had it, but I couldn't find any Tyco peds stethoscopes.

thanks,

dan

DRG (Doctors Research Group) Puretone is excellent. I had a Littman, and had to make the change once I tried the DRG. The acoustics were designed by Bose...once you try it, you'll be a believer. It's similarly priced as the Littman.

the tyco elite does appear to be an adult scope but one cool thing is that the diaphragm acutaloly can screw off and be replaced by a pediatric size diapgragm. very cool and it is like getting two scopes in one. an adult scope comes in handy while taking care of our 250 pound adolescents.

I also have similar questions about what stethoscope to use for peds residency. I used the Littman Cardiology III through med school, and I guess it worked okay (don't have much to compare it to, plus I sometimes have a hard time hearing stuff in general.) Was this really the best stethoscope to have used for mainly adults through med school?

Anyway, did you all get a separate peds stethoscope, or did you attach a separate chestpiece to the stethoscope you already had?

If you got a separate stethoscope . . . would you definitely suggest a pediatric stethoscope over an infant stethoscope? I am assuming the pediatric stethoscope would also work well for infants . . . ?

And as for brands . . . I was told to get a Littman II pediatric scope because of the time-honored, time-tested reputation of Littman scopes overall. However, I have seen some comments about DRG Puretone and Welch-Allyn Tycos Elite on this thread. Does BOSE really do the DRG acoustics? I couldn't find any information on this. If so, that would really make it a superior scope! And the Tycos Elite . . . has anyone else used this and compared it to the Littman pediatric scope? Any additional feedback? Thanks.

You know, this thread is really tired...I know I've contributed to that with my previous reply, but COME ON!!! This is silly. There is relatively little difference between the popular scopes. One is not going to be better than the others if you simply don't know what you're hearing and how to interpret it. Tycos, Littman, DRG...they're all fine. Simply pick one...try it for a while. Once you're heard enough abnormal heart sounds, you'll realize how silly this is.

What kinda pen do you plan on using to write your notes? I find Pilot's VBall helps me arrive at the proper diagnoses and treatment plans, more so than any other pen. It fits comfortably in my hand, has less friction with the writing surface (helping me avoid multiple over-use syndromes), and is light as a feather...WOW!!!

Some of us don't have the money to spend $100 on a piece of crap only to realize everyone else is using a different scope and we should spend another $100 to buy that one.

I don't really know many people in pediatrics, or many residents in general. I like to use this forum to ask questions in my transition from med student with relatively few needs to resident on my own with a few big purchases to make. For example, I earlier asked a question in a thread about whether residents use PDAs, what model they used, and what software they put on it. I'm sure that thread has been recycled over and over with each new incoming intern class, but hey, I'm gonna ask anyway! If there are people reading who want to help out, great, but I hope that people who aren't interested will just let it fly by them - unless it's something offensive or totally incorrect.

Your point is well taken, though, rastelli. Thanks for taking the liberty to start the thread about the best pen for arriving at the proper diagnosis. I'd second your recommendation for Pilot VBall. It really does have great balance and fluid dynamics. ;)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, crinkle. :)

Advice from a peds cardiologist: The most important thing in auscultation is the fit of the two ear pieces and the grey matter between them.
Seriously, it doesn't matter which stethescope you have as long as you know how to use it. I'm a peds intern (only one week left) and I have a $30 ADC peds scope that I can use just as well as my old Littman Cardiology III that I had in med school. I'm better at picking up murmurs and clicks now. Not because I have a better scope but because I've learned how to listen.

and remember that when RSV season comes around, every kids will be in isolation and will have their own disposable nursing stethescope and you won't be using your sony-manufactured-bose-acoustics-ipod-designed-BMW brand scope anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI .....you can get a good scope for far less than $100. My DRG was $65...

so is everyone using the DRG Puretone brand, or the Tycos Elite over the Littman, frankly I hate the weight of the Litmann III

I use the Littman II Pediatric Size which is very pleasantly light and has good acoustics for me. I actually hear murmurs with it that I missed with my Littman III, and it's easier to hear the radiation of murmurs since the diaphragm doesn't cover the entire chest on infants!

You may find that this thread, with its last post in 2004, might not elicit too many responses from the previous posters. I agree that get the scop that you hear the best with. I happen to think that dual lumen (and most these days hide both lumens inside one tube a la Littman Cardiology III) scopes are better than single lumen (unfortunately, most pedi scopes). My Littman Cardiology III served me well through med school, residency and now the beginning of my fellowship. I used the pediatric diaphragm and think the loss of a bell is overrated. I was able to use my Littman on NICU babies by angling the head a little and I could hear as much as anyone using a neo or pedi scope. I think these days the more meaningful question to ask is whether to buy an electronic scope or not. If your hearing is not good, or you just have trouble hearing no matter what (despite good hearing) I would look into an amplified scope. The Littman 3000 is supposed to be quite good.

You may find that this thread, with its last post in 2004, might not elicit too many responses from the previous posters. I agree that get the scop that you hear the best with. I happen to think that dual lumen (and most these days hide both lumens inside one tube a la Littman Cardiology III) scopes are better than single lumen (unfortunately, most pedi scopes). My Littman Cardiology III served me well through med school, residency and now the beginning of my fellowship. I used the pediatric diaphragm and think the loss of a bell is overrated. I was able to use my Littman on NICU babies by angling the head a little and I could hear as much as anyone using a neo or pedi scope. I think these days the more meaningful question to ask is whether to buy an electronic scope or not. If your hearing is not good, or you just have trouble hearing no matter what (despite good hearing) I would look into an amplified scope. The Littman 3000 is supposed to be quite good.
thanks

I have the littman´s neonatologist stethoscope and the master classic II for the bigger, and they work pretty good!!!

bump

Welch Allyn DLX or Elite, and change out the adult chestpiece to the pediatric one. It has a dual lumen tube, that you can't get on a Littman Pediatric model.

If you arent going to be a cardiologist, go with the Elite. Even though I like the DLX, babies do not. Its cold and heavy and makes kids scream, and then you cant hear anything. If you're going to be a cardiologist like J-Rad, go with the DLX.

I am aware that this is an old thread, but I am hoping that I may find some help here regarding this topic. I am actually not a medical student, I am a mother. I will start off with a little back round... My son is currently healthy and thriving at 13 years old. However, this was not always the case. He had a hard birth, with the cord wrapped tightly around the neck. He was born blue and not breathing but luckily I had a fantastic doctor with an amazing team of nurses backing him. Within in a minute I heard him cry but it was not the normal newborn cry, it was soft but he was breathing on his own and I was lucky enough to be able to hold him within 5 minutes of the birth. It was apx 3 in the morning and because of the delivery the baby could not stay in the room or breast feed yet. He needed to monitored constantly until he had been thoroughly checked and examined. My husband wanted to stay but I said, "No, go to my moms and see our girl. Tell her she has a baby brother, then take a nap there. Come back around 9 or 10." Boy, do I wish that I never told him to leave. At 7am a male doctor came in, he was not our pediatrician who was on call and he was not one of their doctors in their group, he just said are you here alone? I said yes. He said I want to talk to you and your husband about a test that I liked to do on your adorable baby. The thing is I like to get both parent permission when it comes to newborns. I called Sean. The doctor did a great job at making it seem like everything was ok. Problem was... Sean was sound asleep at my parents and could not hear the phone, and my parents took my daughter to breakfast and the park. So 45 minutes later, husband still not there, the doctor returned and asked if I got a hold of him and if he was coming in. I explained that I sent him to my parents to sleep but no one is answering. He sat on the edge of the bed and actually held my hand. He said "I wanted to speak with you while you had the support of your husband but I can not wait anymore because it could big deal or a small deal. I am not sure yet. I am a Pediatric Cardiologist from Children's. I was called in for a consult, since the overnight doctor believed he heard some sort of murmur. I need to do an Echo-cardiogram on your son to see what is happening. I am taking him down with a nurse and doing the test personally. I will be back in about 30 minutes." That was the worst 30 minutes of my life. He came back with a grin on his face and said, " He has a VSD in the lower part of the ventricle. He does not need surgery today and we will watch it. The heart is normal size and the hole isnt huge. As long as his heart grows normal and the hole stays the same size, I am hoping he will not need surgery for this condition. As the heart gets larger the muscle of the heart may close all by itself." WHICH IT DID!
Ok, now on to the rest of the story... My son had MAJOR respiratory issues. He had RSV, pneumonia, bronchitis... you name it, he probably had it. He was on oxygen at home, had 2 different nebulizer treatments. One med was 2x's a day and the other 4-6x's a day, depending on how he was breathing. He had to be monitored 24/7, so my husband and I took shifts... talk about lack of sleep! I was lucky if I got 2-3 hours in a row, 2 times a day. Especially, because our daughter was just about 2 and loud! My blessing came from my husbands aunt, who was an Army Nurse and then when her service was up, she specialized in Pediatric Respiratory Care. She bought me a stethoscope and taught me how to use it. She taught me what to listen for in both the heart and lungs. I am so thankful for her because before that... I was taking him to the ER constantly, scared about every sound!
Now, my cousin (who I love dearly!) is pregnant and due in 4-5 weeks. Three weeks ago they have found a problem with the baby during an ultrasound. The babies diagram is up in the chest pushing on the heart and lungs. As of Friday, he is still in a dangerous breech position. So they will be scheduling a C-section, in the next few weeks and then then when the baby is born, he will probably be rushed into emergency surgery. As a mom, who has dealt with a sick child, I can put myself in her shoes and sympathize how terrified and worried she must be. So I thought I would give her my stethoscope, that I used when my son was so sick because it was fabulous but I was just informed TODAY by my husband that when our dog was a puppy... he found it and used it as a chew toy and teething ring! So it was thrown in the garbage years ago. My husbands aunt is not around anymore, so I can not ask her what kind she gave me. So I am asking for some help in selecting a reliable, good stethoscope for someone who is going to be a beginner. I have already found her a class at the local college to help teach her, along with me showing her what I know.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thank You!