The Best Basic Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to name one book for each subject (bio, chem, ochem, physics, verbal) which book would you name? I just want to get a head start on studying and am thinking about buying a few books. Which books are best as a good basic review for these subjects? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search, youll find that there are already some threads on this exact topic. I happen to think EK is the best for verbal, and for physics, im finding that Nova is good, then again i think its all relative to the individual. Goodluck.

EK all the way. I looked at Kaplan and didn't like it. But EK breaks it down and helps build it up

i really can't recommend the kama sutra. all i learned was this "chinese basket" thing that gave me a sprained pelvis and my girlfriend a dislocated hip.

kaplan's comprehensive book is much better for the MCAT. as far as intercourse goes, though, its not very useful (i've been trying the "krebs cycle" for weeks...it just doesn't work!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Superdevil-HAhahaha

But seriously,
I used Barrons last year.. it was BRUTAL!
So far I have finished Gold Standard once this year and it seemed to be pretty good. I'm currently reading Kaplan (trying to read it once/10days), and am finding it great!

Each book seems to have it's strong points (Barrons strong point is making you fail-trust me).

Oh, and EK is on its way right now.

Thanks guys, I think I will probably go with Examkrackers after reading your responses and also looking at past posts. Where can I find past MCAT practice tests from AAMC?

Homer17 said:
Thanks guys, I think I will probably go with Examkrackers after reading your responses and also looking at past posts. Where can I find past MCAT practice tests from AAMC?

You buy them on their website, or buy them (second hand) from others. If you buy them on the website you can get online versions with instant scoring, which is kind of cool. They're about $100 or a little less.

joelmamchur said:
Superdevil-HAhahaha

But seriously,
I used Barrons last year.. it was BRUTAL!
So far I have finished Gold Standard once this year and it seemed to be pretty good.

Barron's and Gold Standard? Haha, were you getting them off the MCAT sale rack? It seems like EK has become the latest trend, but I don't think you can go wrong with Kaplan or TPR, although I'm not sure TPR sells books outside of the course.

LOl pretty much. I got the books from the Chapters right by my house...... didnt think that the books would be all that different...I was wrong...oh so wrong :mad:
Either way I wasn't ready to take the test..had'nt even finished the basic prereqs, let alone being a freshman.....I was actually extremely lucky to come out w/ the score I did :) (not to say it was good)