The American Fast Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluealiendoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a time when it was standard practice that one would have to go through significantly difficult measures to achieve what was considered 'success'. Not so much anymore. Take for example the entertainment business. Musicians once spent years honing their skills in basement studios or saving their pennies relentlessly to go to music school, get singing lessons, etc. They would find themselves at countless auditions hoping someone would see their potential and sweep them up. Nowadays a simple cute face with a silly haircut or perhaps some lewd behavior and a short skirt can open plenty of doors. If their voice is awful, no worries. A few tweeks with the synthesizer will fix that. Post a youtube video..bam! You're there.
And how about the advertising world. I remember those kids in college sitting in the arts building at the wee hours of the night with their drafting tools scattered all over the room. Exasperating measuring using right angles, compasses and those weird T-shaped ruler things. Everything was done by hand be it an architectural blue print or an ad campaign for the local theater. Nowadays a 13 year old can sit with a Mac and make a full commercial with graphics in about 10 minutes. Hey! That's a cute idea...here's a few million for that now go run and play.
To finally get to my point, I sadly see this has come to the medical field.
and by this I mean nurses wanting to be considered doctors. They don't want to endure 4 years of medical school and certainly don't want to do at least 3 years of any residency. Never mind the traditional path that has been done for many, many years. Never mind the importance of a solid science background. Disregard the knowledge gained through years of supervision involving critical thinking, intuition and educated insight. Nurses are notorious for wanting more. Give them a 40hr week and 70K/year...they are over worked and underpaid. Here them say over and over 'that's not my job' as they demand a lunch break without question. A BSN will argue that he/she should be paid more than a RN...but that it's not fair that a MD makes more than a NP. Does a BSN really DO anything that a RN can't? No. But nurses argue that a BSN has more education and thus deserves higher pay. Hypocrisy? Clear cut. The argument from nurses to be called doctor has nothing to do with them really wanting to help out the nation with primary care (most want to specialize anyway) it's simply inline with the current trend of fast tracking. Live the dream without the effort. " Hey, I've watched doctors treat XYZ a hundred times, now I want to do it. Oh, and call me doctor and pay me the same". Such a shame.

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid thread. Most RN's (ASN or BSN) get paid the same for nursing. The difference comes when the promotions to administration/management happen. This is a no brainier associates vs. bachelors. </end thread>

While there is a little dichotomy overall in the ASN vs. BSN nursing education, some of the time the clinical aspects can be similar, sometimes they are not.

This is not the case for NP/DNP vs MD. In all cases a medical doctor will get several magnitudes more training in every possible aspect vs. a NP, with the exception of nursing, <snark> however as much time as a doctor spends in training, you would think they could do their job as well. </snark>