The 5/31/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decicco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is studying? I've done a fair amount so far, but will have to put it on hold for two weeks for finals... then I have a whole month of 10 hour days :thumbdown:thumbdown.

How are your practice tests? My Kaplan scores have been high (check my MDapps), but I think they are probably inflated.. I don't deserve some of the scores I've been getting, lol.

Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well currently I'm an April 18 MCATer but I am planning on retaking assuming I score within what my practices have been because I haven't broken 30 yet. We'll see, I can hope for the best, but I'm going to prepare for the worst.

You can see my progress on my MDapps. I think now that I'll have another 5-6 weeks of studying before May 31st I will start back with Kaplans tests and save the rest of the AAMCs for closer to the real thing.

Well currently I'm an April 18 MCATer but I am planning on retaking assuming I score within what my practices have been because I haven't broken 30 yet. We'll see, I can hope for the best, but I'm going to prepare for the worst.

Why are you taking it if you aren't ready? $200 is nothing compared to the damage a bad MCAT score will do.

Why are you taking it if you aren't ready? $200 is nothing compared to the damage a bad MCAT score will do.

Its too late to cancel and I didn't realize I wasn't ready until I really got into my practices tests (which was too late I'm afraid)

Members don't see this ad :)
Its too late to cancel and I didn't realize I wasn't ready until I really got into my practices tests (which was too late I'm afraid)

I am pretty sure you can cancel it. You can even take it and have it voided, med schools never see it. Like I said, you will be out 200 bucks but I think it is worth it to hold off.

I am pretty sure you can cancel it. You can even take it and have it voided, med schools never see it. Like I said, you will be out 200 bucks but I think it is worth it to hold off.

I'm seriously considering this option...even though just a few days ago I said I wasn't. It will be nearly impossible for me to void, but if after the test I feel like I was taking educated guesses the whole time, or that my mind blanked, then I will try to make myself void

I'm taking it on May 27th. So far my highest score is a 28 on AAMC 4 :( But we all still have some time left so hopefully it will benefit us.

My question is this - since everyone taking the MCAT in May will most likely be studying a lot more (since they will be out of school), will our MCAT curves/scales be more strict than say, the tests in April? In other words, will it be tougher to get a better score since the average will likely be higher?

If you don't like where you are, you can take it and void it. But you have to be sure to void it. If you know you aren't ready going into the test, you sure as heck won't be ready to have it graded at the end. So, if you can't get your money back, go take the test anyway, get a taste of actual test day, and BE SURE TO VOID IT AT THE END.

If you don't like where you are, you can take it and void it. But you have to be sure to void it. If you know you aren't ready going into the test, you sure as heck won't be ready to have it graded at the end. So, if you can't get your money back, go take the test anyway, get a taste of actual test day, and BE SURE TO VOID IT AT THE END.

If you void the test, would MED schools see that you voided the test, or would anybody find out that u voided?

You can also just not go to the test & nothing will show. I know you waste 200$ & an opportunity to practice, but if you think that you really may not void it & you know you need to, then it's always an option...albeit maybe not ideal.

do you have to void before you leave the testing center or can you do it within a day or something

If you void the test, would MED schools see that you voided the test, or would anybody find out that u voided?

Unknown, but it might be listed somewhere on the AAMC website. I suppose if we could find someone who applied to medical school with a voided score to check their 'print your own score report' and also their AMCAS PDF printout to see what it says...

My gut instinct is that 'no', med schools will not see voided tests, but will only see tests that you have opted to have scored.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure they won't. The AAMC will report only the MCAT scores that you've had graded, on the AMCAS and thus to medical schools. They won't see that you took the MCAT on 5/27/08 and chose to void, for instance.

Basically, voiding it makes it a $210 practice test in actual testing conditions.

I'm pretty sure they won't. The AAMC will report only the MCAT scores that you've had graded, on the AMCAS and thus to medical schools. They won't see that you took the MCAT on 5/27/08 and chose to void, for instance.

Basically, voiding it makes it a $210 practice test in actual testing conditions.

I thought that they did see if you voided...

Hi all,

Anyone else writing on the 31st of this month??
How is the studying going so far??

Cheers.

there is now.

I'm just doing some practice problems/reviewing general material. Plan on taking another AAMC tomorrow. What about you?

I am.... and I am freaking out... I dont know any Kaplan strategies so I feel as if Im at a disadvantage... and advice?

Yea, same here. Going to take care of a Kaplan FL tomorrow... #7 I think... Have 3 more FL booked before the day. Scores have been pretty sporadic though...

The studying is going well, pretty much just going over past material, and questions... Trying to read as much as possible as well to try to keep the VR up there. This is my 2nd time writing the MCAT, so I feel like its almost review. However, the anxiety is definitely increasing as May 31st approaches.

herewego... I wouldn't too much about the Kaplan 'strategies.' I know personally, I don't use any of them. I have found that they are a time consumer more than anything. How is your prep going?

Cheers.

Hey everyone!
I am taking the May 31st test too! I am getting really nervous as it gets closer. This is the first time for me. I have been pretty much living MCAT material and it is invading my dreams! I keep dreaming about acids and bases. Weird. But hopefully that means it is sinking in! What have you guys been doing to prepare? I am planning on taking a FL tomorrow.

How are you guys doing on your diagnostics?

My last bunch look like this...
13-11-14
12-9-10
13-9-12
13-10-14
13-9-15... today.

VR is starting to worry me though... It seems to be hovering around a 9... :mad:
How about yourself??

My highest score has been 27P ( 10B, 8P, 9VR ), I'm not really sure if I can Improve in 10 days but I'll give it a try. I believe your scores are really good; however don't feel overconfident on VR. I think you should practice with more verbal passages and Analyze thoroughly the questions you're missing.
Good luck!

Hey all,

Taking it for the first time.

Starting to freak a little. Before, I was ok as I did TPR Jan-Apr and am fresh out of Phys II and Org II. But it is getting really close.

Good luck.

I am voiding mine too.
Didnt have time to practice much...i need prob 4-5 more weeks of just practicing.

Slow on the get-go this month.. I just merged two very similar threads..

Hellooooooooo, 5/31 MCATers!!

I've just retitled this thread to make it your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the week before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Good luck guys.

I remember reading a FAQ on the AAMC website that individual schools only see the tests that you have actually taken and chosen to have graded (then automatically loaded in AMCAS), not the ones you void. It still counts towards that limitation of a certain number of tests in a particular time period, though.

Voiding is not an issue. Taking the test unprepared is an issue.

I'm retaking on the 31st. My practice tests are on my mdapplicants.com profile

Im retaking as well... sat the Aug 9th MCAT last summer... scored an 8 on VR which isn't enough for any Canadian school...

1 week!!! YIKES.

Hello,

I'm taking the MCAT on the 31st of this month (May). I'm not totally "freaking out" but I do have a couple concerns. I feel fairly confident in Physics and Gen-Chem all except for Electricity and Magnetism, especially the latter. I've memorized all the important equations, but as far as Magnetism goes, I just get more and more confused when I read through it. I understand the right hand rule, F=qvb, and that Force, velocity, and B are always perpendicular to each other, but what else do I need to know here?

Also, with electricity, I understand most everything except that sometimes I have trouble seeing when resistors/capacitors are in series or parallel. I've been using Examkrackers, and I'm not sure if there are typos in the "1001 Questions" books, or if there are just some strange rules that aren't discussed on this topic. For example, and bare with me as this is tough to explain: if you have a circuit with a resistor on the left side (vertical), and after that at the bottom your circuit turns to the right, then goes up, and then back to the right into a resistor, this is termed as parallel in this book. But it sure appears to be in series. Is there an easy way to see this?

As far as my other subjects go, I am not completely confident in Verbal yet. I often find myself losing myself in the reading and needing to re-read the passage. On the first practice test I took, I did well on Verbal. I was very confident, focused, and understood everything (This was AAMC practice #5 I believe). I got a 10 on the section that time and it gave me a lot of confidence, but since then when I take a Verbal I don't have the confidence or focus that I had. I guess that this is a personal endeavor and I must find the me that took the verbal that first day.

I am most comfortable with Biology, and understand most concepts that they could throw at me. The only weaknesses I consider myself as having there are specifics in mitosis/meiosis and population studies. I've studied bio a fair amount, and I think I know what I need to know. Organic is a different story, I did very well in Orgo I and II in college (1 year ago) and I feel like I just "get it". I have tried studying it a bit but I'm not memorizing every little reaction. So far, in practice tests, I have been able to figure out 90% of the organic questions that I don't already specifically know. Is this just luck? Or do I probably just know my organic?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to hear from my peers. And I want to get down Electricity/Magnetism because with my luck, if I don't get them down I'm destined to have a full passage on them :scared:

Hello,

Has anybody taken aamc #6?, I scored 6 in VR today and 10's on PS and BS. I'm quite concerned now, our test is in 4 days and this VR score is quite demoralazing. Any thoughts on this diagnostic?:(

Hello,

Has anybody taken aamc #6?, I scored 6 in VR today and 10's on PS and BS. I'm quite concerned now, our test is in 4 days and this VR score is quite demoralazing. Any thoughts on this diagnostic?:(

Hi Lksol,

I actually scored pretty well on #6, however, I did horribly in VR on another practice exam on Monday. I know how anxiety provoking it can be, as I am also writing on Saturday. As long as your VR hasn't been consistantly about 6 then I wouldn't be to concerned... VR seems to jump pretty randomly for everyone. I think its all about being focused, and having decent passages on dest day. Best of luck.

Hey everyone!
I know how you feel Lksol! I took AAMC 9 yesterday and got a 7 in verbal! It is pretty demoralizing! But then I looked at my PS score and saw that it improved 2 points...I have been doing physics and chem questions non-stop for the past 3 days.

I am getting nervous about saturday! It sounded like the May 27 kids had a lot of physics...which is my weakness. Hopefully that means we will have a lot of chem!

How is everyone else feeling about the upcoming test?
Good luck with studying!

I feel the same as you guys. Took CBT 10 yesterday and scored a 6 on VR. Although everyone says that 10's VR is pretty tough right? Hopefully it was just a fluke... Now to do EK 101 passages!

Hey all, I'm taking it on the 31st as well. Kind of nervous, kind of fed up with studying. I just want to take it already! I took AAMC 10 on monday and ended up with a good score. I'm pretty consistent with VR even if they throw 7 philosophy passages at me, but PS I'm very shaky on. ARGH! I find the bio easy most of the time.

vapremed: I'm the same as you. I feel that orgo is almost even just common sense to me. I haven't been studying it that in depth. I'm also very weak with physics, but electricity/magnetism are the only things that I do get from it.

Sat needs to get here already!

Ya, i was relieved to see I didn't miss a single orgo question on CBT 10 when I took it yesterday. But the PS passage about the accelerator was very hard for me. (I only missed 2 but they were just good guesses)

I hear you guys on the physics! That is by far my weakest area! I can usually count on verbal to make up for it...hopefully that holds true on saturday!

What are your guys' plans for the next few days? I am going through EK 1001 questions...I have done almost all 1001 physics...just about 150 left! And I am planning on doing chem and bio as well. Then I am going to go through my old practice AAMC tests and make sure I know what I did wrong...especially on verbal.
I keep playing around with the idea of taking AAMC 10 tomorrow...but I am not sure. What are your thoughts on AAMC 10? Take it or leave it? I've done all the other tests besides that one.
Ok, well off to do more physics :sleep:! Good luck with studying!

I hear you guys on the physics! That is by far my weakest area! I can usually count on verbal to make up for it...hopefully that holds true on saturday!

What are your guys' plans for the next few days? I am going through EK 1001 questions...I have done almost all 1001 physics...just about 150 left! And I am planning on doing chem and bio as well. Then I am going to go through my old practice AAMC tests and make sure I know what I did wrong...especially on verbal.
I keep playing around with the idea of taking AAMC 10 tomorrow...but I am not sure. What are your thoughts on AAMC 10? Take it or leave it? I've done all the other tests besides that one.
Ok, well off to do more physics :sleep:! Good luck with studying!

I think im the opposite... PS is by far my strongest (11-13s), with VR kicking somewhere between an 8-10 (11 on a good day)...

As for the next few days... just finished up AAMC #8... went pretty well over all 13-10-12. Boosted the confidence forsure... Going to just go over some TPR practice questions, write a few essays, and read a bunch... Im at the point where I feel like not much else is going to stick.

As for AAMC#10 it is one of the more difficult ones but its not crazy hard. However, don't put yourself in a bad mind set for Saturday... so if you one of those people who will get down on themselves if you don't do stellar I'd say leave it. Clear as mud? lol

Cheers.

I'd just like to say that I am sick and tired of studying for this test. A good part of me just wants to do well on the 31st so that I can reclaim my summer and my life. To the poster above... how do you still have the stamina to keep studying this stuff? I did, however, keep taking practices. I got a 12P/8V/10B on AAMC10 (the last practice test, whoohoo!). I think in the remaining days, I will focus on verbal bc I know I can do better than that. The verbal content on AAMC10 was so boring though! It wasn't dense or difficult... just made me sleepy.:sleep: I am taking it easy for the next few days. It's not as if I am going to learn anything groundbreaking by studying the next 2 days. I am unusually calm which is strange for me bc I have a tendency to freak about about little things... and this is the MCAT! Hopefully my mood lasts =). Best of luck to you guys!:thumbup:

I'd just like to say that I am sick and tired of studying for this test. A good part of me just wants to do well on the 31st so that I can reclaim my summer and my life. To the poster above... how do you still have the stamina to keep studying this stuff? I did, however, keep taking practices. I got a 12P/8V/10B on AAMC10 (the last practice test, whoohoo!). I think in the remaining days, I will focus on verbal bc I know I can do better than that. The verbal content on AAMC10 was so boring though! It wasn't dense or difficult... just made me sleepy.:sleep: I am taking it easy for the next few days. It's not as if I am going to learn anything groundbreaking by studying the next 2 days. I am unusually calm which is strange for me bc I have a tendency to freak about about little things... and this is the MCAT! Hopefully my mood lasts =). Best of luck to you guys!:thumbup:

Trust me dude, my stamina is quite minimal at this point... I think we're all in the same boat, worn out, and just waiting for the 31st!

Trust me dude, my stamina is quite minimal at this point... I think we're all in the same boat, worn out, and just waiting for the 31st!

Lol, not you hkmedbound! haha, I was talking about StarStup and all the EK1001 problems. But yeah, can't wait till it's overrrr.

Lol, not you hkmedbound! haha, I was talking about StarStup and all the EK1001 problems. But yeah, can't wait till it's overrrr.

Haha, I was going to say... I didn't think my post was all the phenominal. lol

be counting on that adrenaline boost when you click next and you the start of the PS section!

also, have some sort of ritual....i had something i said to myself before every section and i said it on test day...kept my butterflies to a minimum!