The 5/27/2010 MCAT club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieRedBull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I don't know if a thread has already been started for the 5/27 MCAT, though I'm pretty sure it hasn't. In any case, I'm popping my thread starting cherry with this one so hopefully I'm doing it right :)
I know it's still 5.5 months away, but it's never to early for anything med school related, right? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.99 GPA and a sGPA of 3.97. I got a 34M PS12 VS11 BS11 on the MCATs. Is it worth it to apply to top tiered schools like columbia and yale? How much is that M going to kill me?

Thanks

34Q (P:11, V:9, B:14)

I'm laughing at my unbalanced score; it hit my averages perfectly. Time to throw my application at M.D./Ph.D. programs.

Good Job folks!

Members don't see this ad :)
28P (P: 12, V: 6, B: 10)

I'm very happy about the science scores but I'm really disappointed about the verbal. I wonder if it's worth retaking :/

i'm retaking...my verbal score was wayyy below my average on my practice tests. i have a couple weeks to do practice tests like madddd

I actually cried when I got my score.

36T

V: 12
PS: 11
BS: 13

My gpa is terrible (3.0, sgpa 3.35), but I'm hoping I did well enough to get a few interviews in TX as a TX resident.

I actually cried when I got my score.

36T

V: 12
PS: 11
BS: 13

My gpa is terrible (3.0, sgpa 3.35), but I'm hoping I did well enough to get a few interviews in TX as a TX resident.

AWESOME SCORE! :)

I broke down crying/laughing hysterically when I found out my score, haha.

I've been lurking since after I took this MCAT. I owe the forums to creating a study plan which helped me on this test and that is why I am posting. I felt TERRIBLE coming out. I spent the entire void time pondering whether I should go through with it.
F*****g glad I didn't!
Honestly this was the highest of my practice AAMC test scores, and I'm pretty happy with my score

14 PS, 11 V, 14 BS, R WR

I used BR in combination with the Kaplan class. Honestly I didn't do any of the kaplan homework but the kaplan was useful because it refreshed the topics for me. The BR physics/chem books are awesome as well as the Examkrackers 1001 verbal. I also used EK bio/EK 1001 which I found to be condensed but useful as a refresher (I am a bio major.) I gradually studies maybe twice a week starting in January, building up to a 12 hour study day 2.5 weeks before the test. I think it worked relatively well. The best advice I can give is save the AAMC tests for last, and GO OVER EVERY SINGLE ANSWER.
If you have still to take this test, start early and be thorough/meticulous in you're studying. If you can't remember what you studied yesterday, you're not really actively studying. Best of luck guys

HOLY.................................HELL.

PS 12
VR 11
BS 12

35 R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH :biglove:

I am so unbelievably happy right now!!!!!!!

For those of you who want to see my practice scores, as I always did for previous test takers:

TPR 1: 23, PS 7 VR 9 BS 7
TPR 2: 22, PS 7 VR 7 BS 8
TPR 3: 30, PS 10 VR 10 BS 10
TPR 4: 28, PS 8 VR 9 BS 11

AAMC 6: 36, PS 13 VR 10 BS 13
AAMC 7: 35, PS 12 VR 10 BS 13
AAMC 8: 31, PS 10 VR 10 BS 11
AAMC 9: 36, PS 13 VR 11 BS 12
AAMC 10: 35, PS 13 VR 10 BS 12

And I felt like **** when I walked out....literally I thought I below 30.

Wow. I am so shocked/relieved/happy that all that studying paid off. Whew! :D

I r very happy for you!!! Take that 35 and go places!!!

There's always gotta be the one person that does worse than they hoped, right? lol

12 10 12 R = 34R

My AAMC avg was a 37.6 and the last two that I took were AAMC3 (40) and AAMC8 (38). I'm pretty disappointed. I know my score is balanced and good enough for a lot of schools, and the rest of my app is fairly solid, but I was really hoping for something higher to have a GOOD shot at top tiers. I felt pretty good coming out of the test, so it was a real shocker to see this score. I had actually never gotten below a 13 on either science section on ANY AAMC test... what're the chances it happen in both sections on the one test that counts? I guess I can't complain that much, but I definitely wasn't expecting this.

Anyways, good luck to everybody in the app cycle.

I was very surprised to see my score:

14 - PS
9 - VR
12 - BS
N - WS

35N

My best practice test score on an AAMC was a 33 and my scores had always fallen between 31 and 33. I was not expecting this at all and am very happy with it. Thought I would have done a little better on the writing section but it's whatevs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I did great:

13 - PS
8 - VR
13 - BS
P - WS
34P

But, apparently, everyone did well, the curve/adjustment must have been pretty major. I was feeling like I got a 29/30. I hope everyone doesnt get 34-38's, or my seemingly great score, wont mean much.

Did anyone else perform better than their practice tests? I read that it was typical to perform up to two points worse than your AMCAS practice. My average was 35ish and my peak peak practice score was a 37. But apparently my real score was a 38.
I scored 3 points better. I don't know how it happened :p

I got a 33 (all 11s)... I was really hoping for better since my gpa is 3.45 (upward trend with last two years 3.9 avg).... worth retaking to have a chance at better schools???

I thought I did great:

13 - PS
8 - VR
13 - BS
P - WS
34P

But, apparently, everyone did well, the curve/adjustment must have been pretty major. I was feeling like I got a 29/30. I hope everyone doesnt get 34-38's, or my seemingly great score, wont mean much.

Remember. You're on the internet and people enjoy stroking their e-peens on the internet. A few folks may be BS-ing.

Remember. You're on the internet and people enjoy stroking their e-peens on the internet. A few folks may be BS-ing.

I think what's more significant is that people are more likely to post their score if they're happy. The score distribution is pretty close to a gaussian centered on 25. That means for everyone who gets a 35, there's someone else with a 15. The poor saps with 15s may just be much less likely to jump on a message board and tell everyone about it.

so...disappointed
29M
Wondering if I should retake. I know I can do better because I consistently scored 32's on my practice exams (kaplan and aamc's). The problem is I couldn't sleep the night before and therefore my verbal suffered (8 in VR ouch).
I am a Texas resident and applying to Texas schools.
GPA: 3.9 2 semesters of research experience
Should I retake??

all suggestions are appreciated!

so...disappointed
29M
Wondering if I should retake. I know I can do better because I consistently scored 32's on my practice exams (kaplan and aamc's). The problem is I couldn't sleep the night before and therefore my verbal suffered (8 in VR ouch).
I am a Texas resident and applying to Texas schools.
GPA: 3.9 2 semesters of research experience
Should I retake??

all suggestions are appreciated!

No, you shouldn't, bc your a texas resident; you will prob get interview at every school, except maybe Southwestern and even w/ your profile i think they will give you a chance. You can def get into UTHouston, UTHSCA, and the tech schools schools w/ those numbers. don't retake, especially if you are applying this cycle. The most important thing is to send in the APP and be verified.

No, you shouldn't, bc your a texas resident; you will prob get interview at every school, except maybe Southwestern and even w/ your profile i think they will give you a chance. You can def get into UTHouston, UTHSCA, and the tech schools schools w/ those numbers. don't retake, especially if you are applying this cycle. The most important thing is to send in the APP and be verified.

Okay thanks a lot for the input. I already submitted my application in mid June so I think I should be good there.

I have a 3.99 GPA and a sGPA of 3.97. I got a 34M PS12 VS11 BS11 on the MCATs. Is it worth it to apply to top tiered schools like columbia and yale? How much is that M going to kill me?

Thanks

Id say if you have the money, go for it. 34 is in the low end of their range, but its in there. If you dont have the money to apply to the top tiers, pick the ONE you like the most, apply there and hope for the best.

but its better to give it a shot and fail than wonder if you could have done it for the rest of your life. people do get in with lower than a 34 (32 is the bottom of the range) so you have a change, maybe not a huge one, but its a chance.

it all comes down to money man. you got it, go for it.

I got a 33 (all 11s)... I was really hoping for better since my gpa is 3.45 (upward trend with last two years 3.9 avg).... worth retaking to have a chance at better schools???

I would say if you think you can improve on that score, then you should. If you don't really know what you would do differently, then I'd say you should hold off for a bit. Either way you should be proud, a 33 is a very impressive score which a lot of people would give up a lot for...

To everyone who took the test, at least it's over. If you did better than you expected (or as expected), congratulations. If you didn't, stay positive: it was an experience, and now you can go forward and know what to do differently in the future.

All the best to all of you, whether applying this year or deciding to retake; it's been quite a ride.

Not sure what to do at this point, 27M, 3.8 GPA.. I'm a Texas resident as well.

I would suggest contacting some of the texas medical schools' admissions offices and asking about your chances at being accepted. I did that yesterday (I gave them my mcat, gpa, research experience, etc) and they were fairly helpful.

So Here I am, bored on a Saturday, and wondering about statistics on this board.

Call me bored (haha pun...not really funny ok fine) but I found the 41 scores posted on this thread as the data set and put it into Excel.

Here are your statistics:

Mean MCAT score: 33.21951
Median MCAT score: 33
Std. Deviation: 4.15
Mode (most frequent): 33
High: 42 (2 times)
Low: 26 (2 times)

So it seems in this case, SDN has automatic MCAT inflation compared to national test takers of about 6-7 points.

Of course, we know that people posting here tend to be happy and want people to know how well they did (in general, I'm sorry for the folks who are disappointed).

Have a good weekend!

So Here I am, bored on a Saturday, and wondering about statistics on this board.

Call me bored (haha pun...not really funny ok fine) but I found the 41 scores posted on this thread as the data set and put it into Excel.

So it seems in this case, SDN has automatic MCAT inflation compared to national test takers of about 6-7 points.

Of course, we know that people posting here tend to be happy and want people to know how well they did (in general, I'm sorry for the folks who are disappointed).

Have a good weekend!
The fact that there are two 42s is kind of amazing, considering there's only a handful of those every year.

According to the published stats, there should be about 80 42s a year (0.1% out of ~80k test takers). They round to the nearest 0.1%, so it could be as high as 120 or as low as 40 and still show up as 0.1%. Out of about 25 exam dates a year, one would expect 3 or so 42s per examination, assuming everyone is evenly distributed across all dates. I dunno if 5/27 was an especially popular date.

According to the published stats, there should be about 80 42s a year (0.1% out of ~80k test takers). They round to the nearest 0.1%, so it could be as high as 120 or as low as 40 and still show up as 0.1%. Out of about 25 exam dates a year, one would expect 3 or so 42s per examination, assuming everyone is evenly distributed across all dates. I dunno if 5/27 was an especially popular date.

Correct. But its also important to realize this is an internet forum and people lie about their scores

Hi All,

It seems that MCAT is more and more testing genetics in the Bio section. From my review of the prep material out there, many of the companies are somewhat behind in incorporating genetics into their coursework. Can you please let me know which of the prep material best reflected the level of genetics information that you needed for your test? I'm trying to find practice genetics passages to buy, but having a very hard time. Thanks so much.

Hi All,

It seems that MCAT is more and more testing genetics in the Bio section. From my review of the prep material out there, many of the companies are somewhat behind in incorporating genetics into their coursework. Can you please let me know which of the prep material best reflected the level of genetics information that you needed for your test? I'm trying to find practice genetics passages to buy, but having a very hard time. Thanks so much.
I pretty much only used Kaplan and Examkrackers to study for bio. I would recommend both. The 1001 Biology Questions for Examkrackers definitely had quite a few genetics passages (and it's relatively cheap!)

Have a good weekend!

Haha yay us, we as a group scored higher than the national average. :thumbup: