The 2018-2019 List of Needed Specialties for Issuing Statements of Need has been published!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psoralin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for Canadians participating in the 2018 US Match. Of particular note is that the quota for Internal Medicine is going down again and the number of requests is almost certainly going to exceed quota.

Here is the link: 2018-2019 List of Needed Specialties for Issuing Statements of Need

Be prepared and be ready to submit your application for the J1 as soon as possible during Match week. The government is holding firm to NO EXCEPTIONS so don't let your hard work and sacrifice go to waste. If you want to be nice about it, let your fellow Canadian colleagues know in case they are unaware that the quota exists to save them from potential disaster.

Best of luck and much success to everybody applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anything I can do now since my SoN for pediatrics has been denied?

Is there anything I can do now since my SoN for pediatrics has been denied?
Call the hospital you matched to ASAP and see if they can work to help you get H1B and a delayed start date, and if so,s tart preparing hard for Step 3. Either way, prepare for Step 3, to make yourself more desirable, as you very well may need to apply again next year and go for the J1 SON path and strongly apply again to programs that offer H1b as a backup if J1 yet again does not pan out.

Or marry a US citizen.