The 08/07/2008 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh L.Ac.

MSA/LAc & BSN/RN --> AA-S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it for the first time on June 13th and I felt they should have bought me dinner first. Needless to say, I registered for a retake. While at first I was going to take it on July 10th, I moved for several reasons, including the realization that my first scores might not be back in time

So August it is. I on reading two books on ketogenic diets [to get totally ripped this summer] this week then start my content review next week. While it would probably be futile to use specific deficiencies from my first test to prep for the second, I will be going over areas that I had problems with, starting with a complete review of physics.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to say that I think you might need to. Talk to your pre-med advisor to be sure, but I don't think any schools will just "overlook" that 3 in verbal. :oops:

Predict
PS: 14
VR 7
BS: 11

What I got

PS 15
VR 3 (????!!!)
BS 13

I am angried at this stupid mistakes THE SAME AS LAST TIME but I do not know if it is worth retake???

DO I RETAKE THIS? PLEASE!:idea:

good luck:luck:

This is a strangely impressive score. Your science sections are stuff of genius...Is English your 2nd language or do you think you just got REALLY unlucky with your test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unsubscribing from this thread; best wishes to you all in "the game."

(Re: that 3 in VR - yeah, I'd say retake. I don't imagine you can get a 3 looked over.)

:thumbup::luck:

Predict
PS: 14
VR 7

What I got

PS 15
VR 3 (????!!!)
BS 13

I am angried at this stupid mistakes THE SAME AS LAST TIME but I do not know if it is worth retake???

DO I RETAKE THIS? PLEASE!:idea:

good luck:luck:

Is English your mother tongue? If not, in what ways can you demonstrate that you are capable of communicating with your patients (I'm not trying to belittle you, I'm trying to find ways for you to convey this to schools)? Do you have any English or Literature professors who you could approach for a LOR that would discuss your literary criticism abilities? A 3 is going to set off alarms for medical schools and honestly it doesn't look like you can get past that, but you should definitely find a way to let schools know that you are capable.

J DUB, I'm sorry about the score. But one positive thing is that you did improve from last time (4 points I think?). You definitely gained a lot out of this re-take and I know you'll end up where you want to be :)

What did you get?

Thanks for the well wishes!!

All I can do is try again!!

What did you get?

As I procrastinate for my September 13th exam, I couldn't help but click on this thread and see how everyone did. You have such a great attitude J DUB. It takes a lot for someone to keep persevering and still have such a positive outlook after so much adversity. Everyone who is disappointed by their score should follow J DUB's example of his passion for medicine and his tenacity. Major props.

As I procrastinate for my September 13th exam, I couldn't help but click on this thread and see how everyone did. You have such a great attitude J DUB. It takes a lot for someone to keep persevering and still have such a positive outlook after so much adversity. Everyone who is disappointed by their score should follow J DUB's example of his passion for medicine and his tenacity. Major props.

Agreed. Major props on the great attitude :thumbup:

What did you get?

I still haven't checked mine yet! I'm actually trying to busy myself with studying so that I don't think about it. But when I do check it, you'll be the first to know, lol.

I still haven't checked mine yet! I'm actually trying to busy myself with studying so that I don't think about it. But when I do check it, you'll be the first to know, lol.

I don't know how you have the nerve to study knowing that they're up. You have a strong will.

Hell, I was refreshing thx on my phone every 30 seconds while I was supposed to be teaching a lab! I saw that they were out here and just left the room.

Members don't see this ad :)
HIVdoc,

Your numbers add up to 27. Did you get a 26 or a 27?

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about it. Hopefully third time's the charm.

Something doesn't add up...

Er, yeah, I got a 26. The VR should be a 9, not a 10 (changed it just now). Simple math I can do. Simple typing while a bit upset, not so much.

But anyways, guess it's time to figure out a new and better way to hit those books again (by hit, I may in fact mean punch :laugh: )... Best of luck to those joining me in the retake boat - we'll get there!

To the rest of you, congrats on those scores and best of luck with your applications!

My score is vr6 ps13 bs13,is this verbal ok?
English is not my mother tongue,and my ibt is 107
Can any one give some advice,thank you.

Yes thanks to help on my verbal scores. Response are very encouraging to those who said We are legendary now thank you.

I am trying to retake this test.

I will not get down!

I have studied for this. English is my mother tongue but my father is from Paupua so I am mixed. It is hard to read so fast on the MCAT verbal that you have no time to anser the questions!!!

I will try again. I will succeed! I need to become a doctor and not a DO because I am told they do not presribe medications in the United States.:thumbdown:

good luck:luck::hardy:

DO's and MD's are functionally equivalent in the U.S., and both are considered medical doctors. If you plan on practicing outside of the U.S., though, you'll need an MD. Just to clarify, that means DO's can, in fact, prescribe medications in the same capacity as MD's.

I will try again. I will succeed! I need to become a doctor and not a DO because I am told they do not presribe medications in the United States.:thumbdown:

DO's and MD's are functionally equivalent in the U.S., and both are considered medical doctors. If you plan on practicing outside of the U.S., though, you'll need an MD. Just to clarify, that means DO's can, in fact, prescribe medications in the same capacity as MD's.

Let's not start this again :)

Yes thanks to help on my verbal scores. Response are very encouraging to those who said We are legendary now thank you.

I will not get down!

I have studied for this. English is my mother tongue but my father is from Paupua so I am mixed. It is hard to read so fast on the MCAT verbal that you have no time to anser the questions!!!

I've never played the troll card but...

I will not get down!

DUDE have you even realized that DOCTOR begins with DO?!? That alone should make you realize that you're a ****.

Oh and sorry dude, but a 3 is just :laugh:. Isn't that the score you get even if you don't answer any questions?

Average Practice Test
PS 8-10
VR 10-13
BS 8-10
WS ??

Predicted Score
PS 8
VR 12
BS 7
WS ?

Actual Score
PS 12
VR 10
BS 10
WS K

When I took the MCAT I had a pretty bad cold and had hardly slept the night before. I thought I had done absolutely terrible and pretty much gave up during the writing section (obviously). I had already started getting my review books together to start studying for the January MCAT and planned to re-apply next year.

Does anyone know how bad the K in the writing will hurt me? I’m only applying to my state school (University of Mississippi School of Medicine) which has an average MCAT score of 28 O and I have a 3.6 science GPA and above average extracurricular activities. What are my changes going to be with my K in the writing section?

I'm not really sure how you could score a 3 on verbal yet still comprehend the science questions well enough to kick the crap out of both those sections. I think I may have to go with T12 on this one.

Somebody posts I am a****

Please explain. I think is insult to me. How about you try to write in my language? Then we will see who is smart:sleep:

as good luck to others:luck:

I said I did horrible before, but I didn't post my scores. Seeing that many people put there scores up and we're all in this together, it would be the right thing to post them.

PREDICTED SCORES
(since day after exam)

VR: 4
PS: 9
BS: 10
WS: O
TOTAL: 23O

ACTUAL SCORES (8/7/08)
VR: 3
PS: 9
WS: M
TOTAL: 23M

I was pretty much dead on in my prediction.

I only have to work on VR. Both my BS and PS are really good (I bet I could do even better) and my GPA is a 3.745. If I can get my Verbal up to an 8 by January when I take the exam again, I'll be set. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Weedkiller, I am glad you are going to give it another go. You clearly know the science. I think you could probably get them up even more with some extra basic science review from EK and Kaplan.

As for VR, perhaps you should read some magazines regularly like The Economist or Harpers. Also, have you done all of EK verbal?

Anyways, seriously, don't give up. Your science is fine. Just work on the VR.

Good luck!

I'm a first time MCAT-er and I took the Kaplan Course

Average Kaplan Practice Test
PS 8.88
VR 8.88
BS 9

Average AAMC Practice Test
PS 9
VR 8.375
BS 9.5

Predicted Score
PS 8
VR 8
BS 8
WS m

coming out of the test i was pretty upset and thought i did awful...i planned to retake the test anyways but...

Actual Score
PS 10
VR 9
BS 10
WS T<-----who would have thought?
Overall: 29T

so what do i do now? Should I suck it up and take it again or should I keep this score??? I really wanted to get at least a 30...

p.s. I am a junior so I am not applying this cycle..plenty of time to retake

Last edited:
OK guys, I know I've called some people SDN-nerds before, but what I just did trumps all, I think. I take it all back.

I created an mdapps the day I got my score, so feel free to suggest things now, its hot-n-ready like Lil Caesar's!

Such a nerd...

Weedkiller, I am glad you are going to give it another go. You clearly know the science. I think you could probably get them up even more with some extra basic science review from EK and Kaplan.

As for VR, perhaps you should read some magazines regularly like The Economist or Harpers. Also, have you done all of EK verbal?

Anyways, seriously, don't give up. Your science is fine. Just work on the VR.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying! I actually took an ExamKrackers course and I religiously studied all their books. They really helped. I know I made a lot of stupid mistakes, so my scores could have been higher for sure.

For verbal, I will start reading magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. Also, should I invest in the EK 101 Verbal Passages (2nd Edition) book?

Thanks for replying! I actually took an ExamKrackers course and I religiously studied all their books. They really helped. I know I made a lot of stupid mistakes, so my scores could have been higher for sure.

For verbal, I will start reading magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. Also, should I invest in the EK 101 Verbal Passages (2nd Edition) book?

First and second editions are pretty much the same. but if u dont have one yet get the 2nd edition, if u have the first then just use that. And if u have a bit of time to study read some novels that u would enjoy to work on your reading skills and wat not. if u only got a short time before retake then just practice hardcore

Predict
PS 15
VR 3 (????!!!)
BS 13

Troll!

From the 8/15 MCAT Club:

I thought the PS and BS on the pm test was more of a general reading comprehension exam than a test of physics/bio/chem/orgo principles. Most beneficial to doing well, I think, was an ability to SKIM and SCAN. SKIMMING is taking in the gist of a passage without getting bogged down. SCANNING is searching for one tiny bit of information in a larger passage based on a prompt.

I would say that only a third of the questions tested phys/bio/chem/orgo stuff.

I was a first time MCAT taker.
I'd be curious to know if others were, too.

And from the 8/5 MCAT Club Thread:

Actual Score
PS 14
VR 3 (?!)
BS 11
WS K

And I say again, troll!

Troll!

From the 8/15 MCAT Club:

And I say again, troll!

HA! I knew it. Although looking back it was shameless enough that he should've been called out immediately.

Troll!

From the 8/15 MCAT Club:

And I say again, troll!

And a dumb troll at that. At least be consistent with the lies...

To those who are not satisfied with your scores: don't give up!

I'm a first time MCAT-er and I took the Kaplan Course

Average Kaplan Practice Test
PS 8.88
VR 8.88
BS 9

Average AAMC Practice Test
PS 9
VR 8.375
BS 9.5

Predicted Score
PS 8
VR 8
BS 8
WS m? i left a sentance half finished

coming out of the test i was pretty upset and thought i did awful...i planned to retake the test anyways but...

Actual Score
PS 10
VR 9
BS 10
WS T<-----who would have thought?
Overall: 29T

so what do i do now? Should I suck it up and take it again or should I keep this score??? I really wanted to get at least a 30...

p.s. I am a junior so I am not applying this cycle..plenty of time to retake

anyone want to offer up their wisdom regarding my situation?

Last edited:

It looks like you edged out your AAMC average, so its a tough call. I think if you really feel as though you've under-performed, and are willing to risk scoring lower, you should consider retaking it. I would think about it, though, as a 29T will get you in plenty of schools.

Drzing, a 29T is a respectable score. It will get you into some schools.

However, there is obvioulsy room for improvement. If you better understand the science, you can move up into 11's and 12's.

It really comes down to the question of what kind of schools do you want to get into. Big league research school? Then retake.

Your small state med school? Then consider sticking with your decent 29T.

Do not retake. I would only retake if you get your practice average to at least a 33-34 range. If you are not willing to work for this, be confident in your score. It is balanced and should lead you to acceptances if the rest of your application is in place.

At any rate, it is too late to take the test again for this cycle. You are pretty much forced to commit with your score for this cycle (if you apply this cycle), and your score is balanced, better than your practice averages, and you killed the writing. Lastly, there is nothing magical about a 29 vs 30 other than the one point difference. This one point will not be a limiting factor except for a minority of schools, which you may have needed a much higher score to be competitive at anyways. Don't sweat it. You have a great score.

I wish you luck!

1) It seems you agree your science scores could be better, which is great, because your science scores are already in competitive range for plenty of med schools.

2) I do not own EK 2nd Ed. I cannot tell you if you should spend the money. As far as I know, it is just like the first edition excep that the sections are 60 min/40 questions, not the old format of 85 min/60 questions.

3) Good luck! You can get into the magic 30+ with some more effort, I believe.

1) It seems you agree your science scores could be better, which is great, because your science scores are already in competitive range for plenty of med schools.

2) I do not own EK 2nd Ed. I cannot tell you if you should spend the money. As far as I know, it is just like the first edition excep that the sections are 60 min/40 questions, not the old format of 85 min/60 questions.

3) Good luck! You can get into the magic 30+ with some more effort, I believe.

The EK 2nd edition is exactly like the first edition with the same questions and passages. The only difference is that they moved some paragraphs around so that it is more similar to the cbt test. If you have the first edition, the second one isnt worth it

ARGH!

I should be grateful because I thought I got a 21 no joke because I felt so unsure about my score coming out of the test, but I am in a bit of a dilemma. I've already applied to schools but my scores are strange.

FIRST MCAT:

28Q (I was averaging a 27-28 so expected)
10: V
8: P
10: B
Q: W

SECOND MCAT:

29 P (I was averaging 33-34 so not expected)

7: V (I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENEDDDD!!!)
10: P
12: B

Do some schools look at the top? Or the most recent? Or combined?
So scared.

Ugh stupid stupid verbal i knew the minute i walked out of the exam room I messed up that section, it was wayyyy longer than any material I practiced with...anyway:

on the Kaplan practice exams I was averaging 31-33
on the AAMCs I was within the 28-30 range

So I guess its no surprise that my breakdown was
PS:10 (i was most nervous about messing up this section)
BS:10
VS:8 (did not expect this at ALL)
WS: Q

I guess I'll give it one more attempt and retake in January....Stupid Verbal!!!

Do not retake. I would only retake if you get your practice average to at least a 33-34 range. If you are not willing to work for this, be confident in your score. It is balanced and should lead you to acceptances if the rest of your application is in place.

At any rate, it is too late to take the test again for this cycle. You are pretty much forced to commit with your score for this cycle (if you apply this cycle), and your score is balanced, better than your practice averages, and you killed the writing. Lastly, there is nothing magical about a 29 vs 30 other than the one point difference. This one point will not be a limiting factor except for a minority of schools, which you may have needed a much higher score to be competitive at anyways. Don't sweat it. You have a great score.

I wish you luck!

do you think its possible to bring my scores up significantly? i am taking biochemistry this term and human physiology next term so i think i can boost my score in at least bio...as for verbal, i think i might get the EK book that everyone seems to love..

do you think if i decide to retake it next may/june that i will have enough time to study with classes and all?

do you think its possible to bring my scores up significantly? i am taking biochemistry this term and human physiology next term so i think i can boost my score in at least bio...as for verbal, i think i might get the EK book that everyone seems to love..

do you think if i decide to retake it next may/june that i will have enough time to study with classes and all?

It is a large commitment. It varies per person how much work you must do to raise your score. A few bio classes wont make you jump from a 10 to 12/13 by any means, but consistent studying and practice with the MCAT might. A few hours each day plus buckling down 1-2 months prior to your test, you could probably improve a few points. Again, you may not need to depending on where you want to go. Talk to your adviser.

I would certainly not retake the test unless your practice scores were consistently above a 29 (such as a 33-34), because most often people do worse on the retake. It is too big of a gamble (and time/money waste) to retake the test if you were not extremely confident (based on practice tests) you could do better.

This is my first time posting here, but I've been reading this thread since the MCAT, and had a question for all of you.

Average Kaplan Practice Test (inc diagnostic):
PS: 11.13
VR: 10.67
BS: 12.25
Total: 34.05

Average AAMC Practice Test (took these closer to the end):
PS: 12.2
VR: 13.2
BS: 13.2
Total: 38.6

Average Practice Tests Combined:
PS: 11.54
VR: 11.62
BS: 12.62
Total:35.78

August 2006 MCAT:
PS: 11
VR: 08
W: P
Total: 30P (My practice tests averaged around 30/31 with PS lower than VR, so both scores were surprising)

Predicted Score:
I knew this didn't feel like my best test on the science sections, especially BS since I usually ended up with 20min at the end, but only ended up with 4min on the real thing...but I thought I'd get 34/35.

Actual Score:
PS: 10-->lower than my diagnostic :(
VR: 12
W: R
Total: 33R

But I have a question for you guys. I've applied for this cycle, but haven't submitted any secondaries. I go to JHU and my Science GPA is only a 3.2, and overall is 3.35---both which are really low, and below average for med schools. From my practice scores, I expected to score high, and I really needed a high score (35/36+, but was willing to apply with a 34). I'm talking with my advisor soon, but I was wondering what you all thought about withdrawing my application and retaking in January. Thanks!

I would retake, given your science gpa, and take a year off and do post-bacc work, or even do an smp. That will ensure that you get accepted the first time you apply.

if we are already complete at other schools with our previous mcat, do we have to update them or does amcas automatically do that for us?

if we are already complete at other schools with our previous mcat, do we have to update them or does amcas automatically do that for us?

I believe the schools automatically get them. At first, I wasn't sure either, but to check, I went logged on my Boston University application, and saw that my most recent MCATs were posted. So I'm guessing all the schools have them, even if you can't tell from the applications.