Thank You SDN (w/Mizzou questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed in Missouri a couple of weeks ago and was just accepted to the class of 2013! My interest in Missouri came from recommendations from the clinic that I work at, and interest was deepened when I fell in love with the school and its people. Additionally, I was torn between my home state of Florida because of in state tuition. However, I have only been accepted to Oregon, Cornell, and Colorado (in addition to Missouri). I was told by several students at Missouri that in state tuition was attainable after the first year. In reality, the financial aspect is a very important part of my personal decision in picking a school. This makes Missouri climb to the top of my list.

All this being said, what is it like to study in Missouri as a vet student? What are the classes and labs like? Exams? Grading system? Do Mizzou students have a high passing rate for the NAVLE? Does this school like to "weed out" students like some other schools? Is the school focused on being an asset to the practitioner? Is there time to use the main campus facilities, such as the gym? Is it pretty easy to find economical housing that allows a dog? Overall, are you happy that you chose to study in Missouri? Any regrets? Any words of encouragement?

I applied to 10 schools this application cycle (my first) and so far have received 4 acceptances and 4 interviews. I have yet to hear from Massey and Florida. I applied to these 10 schools with the hope of getting ONE acceptance, so the decision of picking a school is difficult and unexpected.

SDN has been an exceptional resource and I am forever grateful for everyone who has posted on these forums. It helped guide me throughout my undergrad experiences, the application process, and interview feedback, to say the least. The experience of applying to vet school would have seemed a lot more daunting without this incredible community. I cannot say it enough:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All this being said, what is it like to study in Missouri as a vet student?

As an OOSer I've found Missouri to be a good place to be for vet school. Not too big, not too small. There's rural towns surrounding us if that's your thing, and there's bigger cities (STL, KC) just 2 hours away. There's plenty to do in your time off...last year, some of us went to a Royals game in KC and a bunch of us made it to STL when Bodies Worlds was there. We also like to go out to some people's houses who are more rural and have bonfires and such.

What are the classes and labs like?

Almost all classes post their notes online and you can either post them onto your computer or print them off. Each student has a print quota, but it never seems to be enough for those people. I have every note since day 1 on my tablet and have found it's a good way for me to study. Most lectures are done in a similar fashion to undergrad with just a little bit of PBL mixed in sometimes (GI Phys, Path, Clin Path). Labs depend on what class it is, but for histo lab in first year, each student has their own microscope and slide set and students are responsible for knowing the slides and details from the lab notes. Professors are always walking around to answer questions when you have them too.

Most of our exams are on the computer, meaning that we know our grade as soon as we are done. I've really liked this because I hate waiting on the grading. Additionally, the NAVLE is computer-based, so it gives us an opportunity to start learning how to take computer exams (and it does have a slight learning curve to it).

Grading system?

Most classes have the typical grading system (90+ A, 80-90 B, etc.). Students are allowed to get 9 hours of D credit, but once you get the 9th credit, you have to start over wherever you got your first credit. For instance, if you got a D in the first semester Physiology (6 hours), and then get 3 hours of D in 4th year clinics, you have to start over at the first semester. Any student who gets an F is dismissed from the program, but honestly, if you work hard, you probably won't have any problem. That's not to say your grades will be as high as undergrad though.

Do Mizzou students have a high passing rate for the NAVLE?

Yes. I think we average 98% pass rate. With the way our clinics are scheduled, most students take the NAVLE in November of their 4th year and if they don't pass, they can take it again in May (prior to graduation still). Missouri students have an advantage here as students who take the NAVLE in November have already been in clinics for about a year, whereas some schools are just getting their students into clinics.

Does this school like to "weed out" students like some other schools?

No, but I don't think any school in the US does. I've heard the Ross/St. George schools are bad about this, but I've never heard it about the US schools.

Is the school focused on being an asset to the practitioner?

Yes! The school is devoted to putting out students who are ready to go to work. This includes a business class (and business club - VBMA) that tries to teach students the ins/outs of the business side of things. Dr. Richard Meadows, one of our community practice clinicians, is GREAT! And students in their first years that are interested in certain aspects of practice are encouraged to go over there even in their first years.

Is there time to use the main campus facilities, such as the gym?

Yes! Although I try to keep off main campus as much as possible (there's not much for us to do there), the rec center is a must. Not to mention we have the #1 rec center in the nation! Seriously, it's REALLY nice. They even have a lazy pool. Here's the website for more info: http://www.mizzourec.com/

Is it pretty easy to find economical housing that allows a dog?

Yes. Your best bet is to either buy a place or rent a duplex or such, but lots of places are pet friendly and some that aren't, will allow it for a veterinary student. When you're looking, make it known that you're a vet student and not just some undergrad. I rent a duplex with another student and we have 2 dogs and a cat and our rent is about $875 for a 2-story, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a garage.

Overall, are you happy that you chose to study in Missouri? Any regrets?

Yes, I'm happy I chose Missouri. I was accepted to 6 schools, and if I had the choice today, I'd still come here.

Any words of encouragement?

Picking a vet school is a very personal thing, so just make sure it's somewhere you'd be comfortable for 4 years, even if it's not Missouri. As someone once said of vet school, "I've never studied so hard, slept so little, or had so much fun in my life." Good luck to you wherever you end up, and if you've got any more questions or I can clarify anything, let me know.

Wow, thank you for all of that great information. It will still be some time before I make my final decision!