Thank you notes - bad handwriting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just spent about 30 minutes trying to write a good thank you note, but my handwriting is so bad that other people have problems reading it. This is with me taking my time and trying to write in my "best" handwriting. Anybody else work around a similar problem? I am thinking about printing out a typed note or having someone else write it for me. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you so smart and have so many interviews yet sometimes post the dumbest things on here? Lol just messing with you. Just email them. Snail mail is pointless anyway because they rank you within a day of finishing your interview anyway. Email them something short within a day of your interview. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, tough love!

I heard some programs value a well written note and it's what the dean at my med school suggest we do. So that's why I was working on it. I think I'll go ahead and send a typed one though. It probably won't help, but who knows. Maybe it'll stop them from ranking someone else ahead of me on a later interview date.

I've been sending quick emails to the PC and my interviewers (if their email addresses are available online or they give me a business card), and then a handwritten card addressed to the PD. It has nothing to do with improving my ranking--and I don't think any program will assume you're more interested and rank you higher if you send a card--but has everything to do with simple common courtesy.

Having been on both sides of the interview process, I can say that thank you notes play little, if any, role in how you will be ranked. Most programs rank candidates immediately after interviews, only updating the rankings if they hold subsequent interviews.