Thank you letter from residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marathon chick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I wanted to know is it normal to get a thank you letter from the program director of a residency program after you interview. Because I thought it was the other way around? Or do they send thank you notes to everyone or just people they want to recruit? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the program. Programs that that tend to go lower down on their rank list and/or really want you might also call you or have happy residents in their program call you. After the match, I also got letters from programs stating that I was ranked highly and they wanted to know what factors led me not to rank them higher.

It is an intelligent move to thank people who interviewed you. it is valid for ?residency/fellowship or jobs.?

I won?t consider a phone call or a letter an warranty on a spot but it is a good ?sign. Some program sends a thank you letter on regular basis, especially if they ?interview limited number of peoples.?

Regards