Thank You emails following interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent1215

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this something that is common to do? I had never even thought about it, or heard of it before my last interview where someone asked "is it okay if we send thank you emails to our interviewers?" The speaker knew what she was talking about and said that the school accepts them. How many people do this after emails? It seems too "suck up-ey" to me. I always say thank you after leaving the interview room. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this something that is common to do? I had never even thought about it, or heard of it before my last interview where someone asked "is it okay if we send thank you emails to our interviewers?" The speaker knew what she was talking about and said that the school accepts them. How many people do this after emails? It seems too "suck up-ey" to me. I always say thank you after leaving the interview room. Thoughts?
PCOM will tell you don't do it. It is a lot of work for the staff to process them. Thank them after the interview in person and move on

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied back in the day, I was under the impression that DO schools like thank you notes but if they specifically tell you not to send them, then don't. If you do it just means you can't follow directions. MD schools on the other hand, many of them tell you not to send them.

You should only be sending thank you notes if you genuinely enjoyed something specific about the interview day, not because you think it’s going to get you in or what you should do. I didn’t send any thank you notes and got in just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Just do it if your mom taught you to be polite.

They don't help your chances.

Reactions: 5 users
I always thought it was a bit weird to do but I can understand the reasoning why. Faculty and staff are taking time out of their otherwise busy schedules to be a part of the admissions process. It may be something that some appreciate but it isn't going to influence anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it mostly because I got cute stationary I wanted to use. At the end of day they're meaningless but I was just always taught to write thank you notes.

If they tell you not to, absolutely do not.

I do them, but that’s because I graduated with a business degree that emphasizes doing it after every interview. But I’m not sure what medical schools think about them.